Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Code Red Day

Code Red air quality combined with my slight fever and respiratory issues made me decide to call in sick today. So I’ve been lounging around at home all day, forcing fluids, knitting, and of course Plurking.

And I feel much better. I’ll likely go into work tomorrow. I just got an alert that the air quality will be a bit better — Code Orange.

Thank you for all your kind wishes!

Here is my new sock in progress:

ivy060908 240x227 Code Red Day

I love this yarn — it’s the Unwind yarn I mentioned yesterday (link to the etsy shop in yesterday’s blog post). It’s 100% superwash merino and it’s got a nice twist and “meaty” feel to it. And I love the colorway — Creme de Menthe.

My sock has an ivy leaf pattern going up the middle:

ivycloseup060908 240x160 Code Red Day

So I am calling this design “Ivy League Socks.”

Lucy had an exciting time yesterday. There was a large winged insect in-between the window and the screen and it kept her entertained for over an hour.

lucyandbug060908 175x240 Code Red Day

She kept trying to get it and couldn’t figure out why she couldn’t reach it.

But she kept her eye on it!

lucyattention060908 240x192 Code Red Day

Comments

1. JoAnn-WI says:

Great looking pattern, Wendy! We wouldn’t expect anything less.

2. Wow, I LOVE that yarn! *drools* And I think its perfect for your pattern. It’s going to look fantastic!

Mandis last blog post..Plurk

3. Don’t you love watching cats chase flying insects? It’s better then a 4 star movie. The only problem is that my screens are taking a beating.

Love the new sock!

Opals last blog post..Home again.

4. Do you ever make the same sock pattern twice, or do you design something new every time???

5. Barbara-Kay says:

Love the way the Ivy League sock is happening – yarn/pattern symbiosis.

Way to go, Lucy! Good hunter!

6. I really like that colorway. It goes very well with the ivy leaves. I hope you feel better tomorrow. Lucy is so adorable, I’m not really a cat person, but I always look forward to reading your blog and seeing what she’s up to.

KnittingKels last blog post..I heart Plaquemines Parish

7. anne marie in philly says:

as an asthmatic, I was shut in all weekend, and only ventured outside to go to work today. U-G-H!

lucy, you keep momma safe from all those weird flying things! good girl!

8. HeatherB says:

Sock – gorgeous. Lucy – adorable. Don’t you just love it when they’re “bug hunters” ?

9. You take the best photos of your cat. I wonder if watching bugs is as interesting to Lucy as knitting is to us!

10. The heat here has short-circuited my brain. (It is 104 degrees with the heat index which is hot for us in Connecticut.)
    I originally was leaving a comment because your new sock is so beautiful but then Lucy’s photos distracted me. It always amazes me how quickly you come up with original, attactive sock designs. The yarn choice is perfect.

11. patricia says:

What’s with all this warm weather talk? It’s unseasonably cold and rainy here in eastern Washington. We should be roasting too! I want to wear sandals!

My cat went nuts over moths. Preferred them to any other bug.

12. Ooooh! I love that pattern. I would love to do that one for the Summer of Socks. Thanks for telling me about that. I am signed up for it and looking forward to it. Also, I have blog now! Please come see me and let me know what you think. Now, if I could only figure out how to put pictures on right and put the Summer of Socks thingie in my column.. Oh well, learners curve, right? Dani

Danieles last blog post..Frogging, Re-Knitting and Spinning – oh my

13. I really like your new sock. I am coming out of lurking just to ask you “pretty please” to do the pattern in the small also. I wear a size 7AAA and most designers only seem to do them for med width or larger. Although I can adjust the length, I am not experienced enough doing socks to adjust the numbers for the width. That said, I have all your available patterns and I did notice that some of them have the small size, so I will be doing those first. I’m hoping to use them for Summer of Socks. Thanks for hearing me out.

14. Wendy, glad to hear that you are feeling better. The air quality here in Ma. Is code red. I am staying in these days as I can’t breath out there. Your socks look great. Lucy is so funny. We put two bird feeders out side of our porch and the cat’s love it. My husband calls it their wide screen TV.

15. In honor of the Singing Plurks I missed today, I leave you this (to the tune of My Girl)
    I’ve got 20.1 Plurk points in my Karma stats
    I have friends who want to Plurk me from morning to night
    I guess you’ll say
    What can make me Plurk that way?
    Wendy, Wendy, Wendy, talking about Wendy, Wendy!

She’s got so much Plurk Karma the Plurkers all envy her
    She has a Red Star and a Dancin’ Banana, too!

I guess you’ll say
    What can make me Plurk that way?
    Wendy, Wendy, Wendy, talking about Wendy,
    Wendy!

16. Pretty pattern and beautiful yarn. They just fit each other.

Marions last blog post..Dirt, Inside and Out

17. I think my mommy’s singing scared everyone away! 🙁

18. Speak to me of superwash wool, O Wise Woman of Knitting. I have only knit with it once and that was a gift scarf. People speak of it growing and/or shrinking once you have washed and/or dried it. It can’t do both at the same time, can it? Is it magic or horrible? Is it from the Twilight Zone that it can change sizes? Don’t you treat it like any other wool? The only thing I noticed when I used it is that it felt like acrylic while I worked with it and then felt like wool after I blocked it. What am I missing?

MarjiBs last blog post..books and bronchitis

19. I love socks.
    I think socks rock.
    I can’t wait until I knit socks.
    Knitting socks will rock.
    I’m slightly obsessed with socks.
    My mother worries about my future –
    but at least I’ll have socks!

Megan S.s last blog post..Fun Stuff For All!

20. Like both the yarn and the Ivy League sock. Glad you’re feeling better.

Timmie Bs last blog post..Getting ready for Summer of Socks 2008

21. Dorothy says:

I have had so much fun reading your plurks!! I love the new shoes and the socks you modeled as well. Also what are those shoes made of? LB and Megan S. were very amusing tonight in their comments. We have circadas everywhere and the cats are having a ball hunting and catching them.. Lucy is definitely has fans here. Hope the air quality is really going to improve for you over the next few days. Feel better soon.

22. Pretty pretty…it was worth the wait. Love the Lucy pics, but that is one big d**n bug!

23. My Pansy is an entomologist. She waits until dark and then sits in front of the patio door (inside) and tries to catch the flying bugs that come to the outside light. She jumps almost 6 feet from a seated position. Very entertaining for everyone. I like the ivy leaves on your sock.

24. Meribeth says:

I hope you called in sick again today. No sense in going in if you have to put up with work ____ after fighting a virus..and the heat..and the humidity..and the metro..and whatever else I missed.

Those sock look like the Grasshoppers I *used to* drink. I thing you can understand why I don’t drink them anymore…they are just to good. Seriously, gorgeous sock and yummy yarn.

25. Theresa in Italy says:

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and the Ivy League Socks are gorgeous! (Cute name, too!) Love the Lucy bug-hunting shots. Our dog tries to catch insects as well. Every now and then he is successful—we know because of the retching noises. Silly dog.

26. Love the color of the Ivy League socks! Absolutely yummy. I hope you continue to feel better.

27. Its nice to hear that your feeling better. I love the Ivy sock and that yarn looks so nice.

jewels last blog post..Twill Scarf

28. Oh, Miss Lucy – you ARE a beautiful girl….
    (((hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..It’s My RED Knails I’m SURE!

29. Michele In Maine says:

My kitties love the Junebugs hitting the screens this time of year! I think they would taste icky, though.

Feel better! Don’t breathe that terrible air. Yarn fumes much healthier.

30. You are too creative mi-lady

Standtalls last blog post..I am a cat Lover

31. Lucy sure reminds me of how my 3 cats would concentrate on hunting housefly and croaches

Standtalls last blog post..I am a cat Lover

32. Fun! I should make those socks in honor of my 15th reunion that just happened. I missed it, but I was thinking about it–and now you’ve made me think about it again. Feel better! http://neknitter.blogspot.com/2008/06/cornellian.html

caths last blog post..Cornellian

33. Glad to see that with all of her other responsibilities Lucy is still able to fulfill her role as Chief Bug Watcher/Catcher. Keep the beasties away from the yarn Lucy! My cat Chloe is rather lackadasical about bugs these days, but my greyhound Tolie is fasinated by June bugs and has been known to snag cicadas in mid air for a crunchy snack…ick.

34. I’ll HAVE to get that ivy pattern, since my cat’s name is Ivy and ivyrose is my ravelry name. Those leaves are great.