1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Code Orange Day

Yes boys and girls, the air quality was down to Code Orange today as our knitter bravely plodded in to work. At 5:00am it was over 80 degrees and very humid. Nuttiness!

But I did make some progress on the Ivy League Sock. Houston, we have a heel:

ivyheel061008 240x160 Code Orange Day

This sock is just so minty fresh! icon biggrin Code Orange Day

ivy061008 240x160 Code Orange Day

Nadine commented:

I really like your new sock. I am coming out of lurking just to ask you “pretty please” to do the pattern in the small also. I wear a size 7AAA and most designers only seem to do them for med width or larger. Although I can adjust the length, I am not experienced enough doing socks to adjust the numbers for the width. That said, I have all your available patterns and I did notice that some of them have the small size, so I will be doing those first. I’m hoping to use them for Summer of Socks. Thanks for hearing me out.

The Ivy League Socks pattern will indeed be written to accommodate a size small.

I do try to make my patterns work for a number of sizes, but it is not always possible. Sometimes you can only stretch the stitch pattern so much or shrink it down so much to work in a wide range of sizes. For my “for sale” patterns I always do at least 2 sizes, and try to do 3 sizes whenever possible. So I’m thinking about (and trying not to envy) you slim-footed people.

Speaking of feet, check out my new shoes:

sketchers060908 240x190 Code Orange Day

These are Sketchers shoes in the “Cali” style. They are plastic or rubber or whatever, but are nicely ventilated so the tootsies will not get too hot.

MarjiB commented

Speak to me of superwash wool, O Wise Woman of Knitting. I have only knit with it once and that was a gift scarf. People speak of it growing and/or shrinking once you have washed and/or dried it. It can’t do both at the same time, can it? Is it magic or horrible? Is it from the Twilight Zone that it can change sizes? Don’t you treat it like any other wool? The only thing I noticed when I used it is that it felt like acrylic while I worked with it and then felt like wool after I blocked it. What am I missing?

Well, there is superwash and there is superwash. When was the last time you knit with it? I think it has been improved a lot over recent years. The first superwash I tried a few years ago was so acrylic-y feeling it almost squeaked on the needles.

The superwash sock yarn that is available now is awesome. At least the superwash sock yarn with which I’ve come in contact. What do you all think?

Here is Lucy, striking a seductive pose!

lucy060908a 195x240 Code Orange Day

Isn’t she a classic beauty? But her secret is that she wants to be an LOLCat. She’d like you to vote for her LOL pic!

Comments

1. Anything for Lucy. . . I’m off to vote! (Oh yeah, the shoes rock!)

Tammy/DarthKnitters last blog post..Lemmings

2. There are still some superwash yarns out there that aren’t very nice to the touch, but I think it’s more “you get what you pay for”. On the whole, the superwash yarns I’ve encountered are lovely!

Opals last blog post..An avalanche of projects.

3. Love the minty fresh sock. Your shoes are cool. The superwash yarn is wonderful today. I agree you get what you pay for. Even the one hundred precent merino is a joy to work with. I voted for Lucy. She looks adorable.

4. I went and voted – Miss Lucy gets five stars any day :)

5. Nice shoes!
    ; )

Off to vote now….

Cathy-Cates last blog post..K is for KIP

6. anne marie in philly says:

meredith and steven say: “meow, lucy, you ARE beautiful!” :-)

7. Hey, I was just looking at those shoes at Famous Footwear today! Seeing them on your feet just might convince me to go back and buy them. :) They are really cute, especially with the socks that you have on.

The Ivy League socks are very pretty and the color is making me hungry for Grasshopper Pie.

Gorgeous picture of Lucy (she looks positively regal in that pose!) She gets my vote any day of the week. BTW, I’m glad that she enjoyed my comment about her hairs being like fairy dust. :) This is a very belated thank you on your e-mail regarding that. It made my day.

8. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I love those minty fresh socks! Very cool shoes, too.

That Lucy is such a beauty! I’m going off to vote for her, too.

9. Oh, and regarding superwash: Since you ASKED for our opinions, Wendy!

Seems like superwash wools in the past, which were treated using a different process to strip the scales from the wool, felt much harsher to the touch. Most superwash wools now feel softer after treatment, mmmm.

MarjiB, if you can get your hands on Clara Parkes’ Knitter’s Book of Yarn, it tells all the secrets of superwash wool and other fibers — great book, highly recommended! Superwash is notorious for ‘growing’ when it’s blocked or washed, it gets all loosey-goosey. Something to be aware of when knitting; superwash may benefit from being knit at a slightly tighter gauge (good idea for socks anyway). But it does tighten back up with a brief spin in the dryer if needed. I knit a pirate-y skull hat for my daughter from superwash Baby Ull yarn (very soft!) that was a little small — so I washed and blocked bigger. Now too big! So I popped it in the dryer while damp. Now too small again! ARRRGH! OK, dampen and careful blocking, and finally the right size! It certainly was pretty adaptable, though, and no fear of felting.

I have been told that although superwash yarn is technically machine washable, that hand-dyed superwash sock yarns will last longer if you hand-wash rather than machine wash. For what it’s worth.

Cathy-Cates last blog post..K is for KIP

10. Patricia says:

It was very humid here today- so humid that it was snowing. Really. I want a refund on my summer weather!

Lovely socks and lovely Lucy.

11. She’s really is just a gorgeous cat.

Tiny Tyrants last blog post..Good Thoughts are Needed

12. I love the ivy leaves! I love our lolcat of the day! Five cheezburgers to both!

13. Some of the less expensive superwash wools aren’t very pleasant, but I find that to be true of less expensive wools generally. My all-time favorite yarn is Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted, which is a supersoft superwash that goes through the washer and dryer beautifully. I find that most superwash wools do soften and stretch a bit with washing, but usually benefit from a trip through the dryer to tighten them back up.

Suzanne V. (Yarnhog)s last blog post..YARN SALE!

14. Dr. Jackie says:

Oh Wendy, I sooo love the clear shoes! Wherever did you get them…and do they run pretty much true to size? I must have some too…

15. Generally, I haven’t had any problems with superwash wools, especially once I realized that some of them really do behave much better if you put them through the dryer (personally, I toss them in wet and pull them out still slightly damp, the reshape and dry flat like for normal knitted objects. actually, I’m not that fastidious with socks, but sweaters and scarves and such, yes). I really like the Trekking XXL sock yarns, which are a wool/nylon blend but very soft and well behaved. Or so I’ve found :)

Merediths last blog post..A Harlot moment

16. Just what everyone else has said, not all superwash is created equally. I used something that claimed to be superwash and it felted, but mostly I’ve had good experiences. I normally buy locally so I’m able to grope the yarn a bit before purchase, and some still feels a bit plasticy, but mostly it’s really nice nowadays. I hardly ever send mine through the dryer anymore, but only because it’s too hard to keep track of which socks were knit with regular wool and which are super. :)

In other news, Lucy has my vote, and those Ivy League socks are coming out great. That color is envy worthy, and the pattern is really popping.

Things last blog post..It Doesn’t Cure Dehydration

17. You got the shoes! Don’t you just love them? I think they’re really comfy. I especially like the way sock heels look in them.

turtlegirl76s last blog post..Size DOES Matter

18. As to superwash wool. It does stretch out some. I treat my superwash socks like regular laundry and have no problems with it at all. But it is the only thing I knit with superwash.

You might want to buy about 200 yards of it in a heavier weight knit a sample piece then wash it and dry it to see what you get. If you plan on knitting a sweater.

19. ellen in indy says:

gee, wait ’til my 6-year-old grandgirl finds out that the famous wendy bought shoes almost exactly like her pink calis! (now that i know that they make ‘em for grownups, i may have to reconsider my current shoe fast.)

20. dummy face says:

I really do enjoy LOLcatz but I dont’ get it :(

plurk karma?? please explain!!

21. Barbara-Kay says:

Another vote for the photogenic Miss Lucy!

22. I covet your shoes! I voted for Lucy…so hopefully the kind deed will tip the scales of cosmic justice in my favor (since I was coveting and all.)

saras last blog post..To Join or Not to Join

23. Lucky you having warm weather we are freezing today in Utah! Love the sock it is looking really nice.

Jewels last blog post..Baby Gift

24. LOVE the pic of Miss Lucy! She is such a pretty girl :-) I’ve looked at your Plurk page and its funny/cute. I havent signed up yet as I have several things goin and Ravelry is a big enough time suck without adding anything else ot my overdone schedule right now HEHE! I cant wait till the socks are done they are coming out beautifully so far!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..Knit-n-Stitch Updated

25. Oh, I have to get a pair of those shoes – I have nothing that works for showing off summer socks!

CraftyGryphons last blog post..Still hot.

26. Don’t you love those shoes! I have them in the gel and in brown suede. I have reached the point in life when my feet dictate that I wear nothing BUT Sketchers. Comfort Baby!

Katherines last blog post..Back Again

27. Bonnie H. says:

I am all for sock patterns in multiple sizes as I have a skinny foot, too. I bought your Asparagus sock pattern from The Loopy Ewe and was sad when I saw it would be too wide for me. But I still may give it a go with my newly acquired 000 Addi Turbo circs.

28. Sounds like MarjB hasn’t tried any Socks That Rock or perhaps Jitterbug. There are tons of delicious superwash yarns out on the market. For me it’s the only thing I prefer to knit with…seeing that my husband has a tendency to felt;)

Kriss last blog post..I’m Swooning For Ogee

29. I just wanted to say “thank you” for trying to offer multiple sizes in your sock patterns. I frequently get frustrated with a 9″ foot when most women’s patterns are intended for 8″. Off to modding Embossed Leaves, I go.

30. Echoing those who have commented on the “you get what you pay for” side of Superwash. My two favorites for socks are Lornas Laces Shepherd Sock (or Sport — excellent for scarves and beautiful, bright colorways) and Cherry Tree Hill Supersock. My husband, a late adopter of hand knit socks, swears these are the softest and most warm and comfortable socks he owns. And I agree. My only issue with Cherry Tree Hill is that my LYS doesn’t carry it, so it’s usually a vacation or online purchase (not that there’s anything wrong with that…..)

31. Lucy has such a well established fan base, it is almost unfair to any other cat. (and I was vote 160).
    I like the new Ivy League Socks. I like the twisty eyelet thingy up the side.

Ann in CTs last blog post..Caught Red Pawed

32. Theresa P. says:

Don’t you just love those Skechers Wendy? I have a pair in a cream color, not the rubbery ones, but they are SO comfy…even from day one. No break-in period necessary. Love how yours show off your socks! I might have to get me another pair. ; )

33. I can’t get over how cute your feet/legs look in those Sketchers. I want to take you to the beach and show you off to all of my friends.

The new socks look particularly scrumptious — the color looks mostly aqua on my monitor, which is one of my most favorite colors.

Lucy, you look like you’re ready for a photo shoot on the red carpet, standing there with your “gown” all spread out behind you that way. Meow!

Warmest,
    firefly

fireflys last blog post..Feminine ways

34. Oooh. Gotta get me some of them shoes! :)

35. Just be glad it is warm there! Yesterday it snowed and it is supposed to be warm (75) and sunny by Saturday… I’d be happy if the weather would just MAKE UP ITS MIND!

36. 5 burgers for lucy and 5 stars for those awesome shoes!

Jadieladys last blog post..Weee visitor!

37. Ooohh, I love your minty green socks.

38. Carolyn S. says:

I love this pattern – oh, I love it! Did I tell you I love it? Or maybe I didn’t tell you, but I love it.
    Sorry, the weather got to me for a minute. :o)

39. Heh. I just bought those same shoes after seeing them on Cathy-Cate’s blog. But I got the smoke clear ones b/c I am so shy and retiring about my handmade socks ;-)

kmkats last blog post..Weekend update.

40. hi Wendy,

do you wear all the socks you knit? it seems like you knit a whole big bunch of them. i knit them, but don’t wear them much because i prefer sandals most of the time.

juliet

juliets last blog post..last spread suzanne’s cj