Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Productive Tuesday

Here’s what the second Seaweed Sock looked like when I left for work this morning:

sip070808 190x240 Productive Tuesday

Here’s what it looked like when I got home from work:

sipa070808 240x160 Productive Tuesday

What I did today:

Got to work and discovered that my 6-day-old computer was belly-up. Dead. Former. It had ceased to be. Et cetera. I’ve been having hardware issues for the past 6 weeks. The hardware we have is junk, hence the frequent failures and the new ‘puter that I got last Wednesday afternoon.

I called the IT Help Desk and reported the issue. Four hours later (after finally getting an IT manager on the phone and throwing a tantrum of epic proportion) someone came up and took the dead computer away. An hour later, he brought up a new one and spent the rest of the day restoring my data to the new computer.

And then I came home.

So at work today, I dealt with one phone call, reviewed someone’s work in hardcopy, read a book, and knit. Quite the productive day.

In the morning, Lucy has taken to dashing out the door when I leave for work. Once in the hall (I live in a high-rise condo) she throws herself down on the floor and just lies there. I have to put down my stuff, scoop her up, and put her back in my condo, to her annoyance.

If she only knew where I was going, she wouldn’t be so eager to come along!

lucy070808 240x160 Productive Tuesday

Anyhow, I’m very glad to be home, where the hardware works and the kitty is purring! And there is no need for tantrums of epic proportion.

Comments

1. At least you got something worthwhile done. The socks look great!

flexibleknitss last blog post..An affair….

2. I hope this one does the trick for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Karens last blog post..

3. Funny how a non-productive day at work is a productive day of knitting… Although I wouldn’t wish hardware failure on anyone.
    My boys used to escape out the door of our apartment and run in circles in the hallway. Now we have to be careful about them escaping into the world.
    Love the seaweed sock.

Samoofishs last blog post..Vermont Trip: Summer Getaway

4. It’s the bathtub curve of electronics survival. Things have a high rate of failure right out of the box, but if they make it past the first few days they’re usually good until they’re several years old. Then the rate of failure shoots up again.

Tans last blog post..I’m glad we have that sorted

5. lol, well at least your productive when you arent working. ive spent all day waiting on my boss to come authorize changes made in a proposal..and not knit at all because then it would be “on company time.”

mikis last blog post..Plurk timeline

6. Leslieileen says:

Today I got a new work computer too! Mine has been singing occasionally since November so the new one finally arrived – lousy rollerball mouse, skimpy keyboard, no new monitor (I have a 13″ CRT but at least it’s color) and the new one does not have a DVD/CD drive either. Rather stripped down, eh? It’s not compatible with the monitor (everything shows up in 1/20″ high type even after the IT geniouses at corporate “dialed in” to take a look and fix it for me). Gotta’ love some of these IT people – high pay and no talent. Not all of them, I’m not saying all of them — just the ones I’ve been exposed to at work lately.

I hope your troubles are resolved and you can be more productive professionally tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m hoping my piece of crud blows up when I turn it on tomorrow.

7. Shawnee says:

All I can think of is Monty Python’s Dead Parrot sketch! It’s not pinin’, it’s passed! It’s singin’ with the celestial choir! One could go on and on but I will spare you that… Dig the sock!

8. As bad as the IT is, be glad they actually *do* something post-tantrum. But wow, amazing what knitting instead of work does.

Andreas last blog post..Iโ€™m Still Here

9. Well, it was a productive day in some ways anyway.

Our dear Queen B has decided she wants to work with me (I work at home) so she climbs into the desk drawer I keep open a bit to hold my yarn and curls up, purring away. She’s definitely better company than the panting dog.

10. I am glad that you are home with purring Lucy. I must admit I have been known to throw tantrums of epic proportion on occasion myself. Not pretty but sometimes s%%% happens.Hope you have a good evening. The socks are lovely, you are so fast.

11. Three cheers for Macs! ๐Ÿ™‚ I know most IT departments hate them or fear them, but I’ve found them quite reliable. A day like today is only a problem when it screws up upcoming deadlines!

And to the Monty Python commenter … “I’m not dead yet … i think i’ll go for a walk …. i’m getting better … I FEEL HAPPY!!!!”

DPUTigers last blog post..July 4, Three Days Late

12. At least you got to knit! Just think of all the non-knitters out there that would have ended up twiddling their thumbs.

Opals last blog post..Tour de Fleece – Day 2 Report

13. I’m new to reading your your blog. Your sock patterns are wonderful. I’m blown away by how quickly you can knit a pair of socks. What’s the average amount of time it takes you to make one sock?

Liz A.s last blog post..A Beer for Quilters

14. As a fellow FED, I can sympathize with the having to throw a tantrum to get IT to do something. Recently we went to an agency wide IT program instead of local. So now instead of calling the folks downstairs (Rock Island, IL) we have to call an 800 number somewhere in the DC area and they have to put it into the system. Last time I needed something done they assigned it to an IT person here who was out of the office for 3 days and all the DC people would tell me is “It’s been assigned to a tech” – but not who. Had they said who. I could have told them he was out and they could have assigned it to someone else – but NOOO!
    Anyway, I wish I could get away with knitting at the office. The sock is looking great!

15. Silly Lucy. Cats just don’t know how good they have it. I keep telling mine that if they want to go out and earn money for my kibble, I’m more than happy to stay home and nap…they haven’t taken me up on it yet.

16. At least you had plenty of sock to knit!

Nicoles last blog post..Summoned

17. Mister sometimes dashes out the door when I’m leaving the house. He knows he’s not allowed outside without a leash, so he just goes about 10 feet and patiently waits for me to get the leash so he can stay out. He purrs when I’m putting the leash on.

Kristens last blog post..Spinning WIP, Monday night progress

18. Ahh Lucy just wants momma to stay home. Can you blame her?

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Tuesday- Thinking in Stitches

19. Patricia says:

Lemonade out of lemons…. There is a library downstairs that I can hide in when these things happen. It’s that or empty the recycling bin and/orclean/straighten.

Lucy says she can sleep on her cozy cushion at the office as easily as at home- as long as Momma’ s there!

20. I wonder on the computer….we have had tons of phone problems at my job and I finally found out that our cheap IT director was buying phones (and other equipment) on….ebay. Used. Duh….and then they wonder why there are problems??

I like the Seaweed socks!

21. At least you can knit at work, I would be nervous about whipping out my knitting, even during down time, like computer crashings… I work in high tech, I’m afraid if they saw me doing something so low tech as knitting they would laugh me out of a job!

22. Carol Lee says:

Wendy, great looking socks! I worked for a very large defense contractor – no knitting on company time :>. I’ve been waiting for months for IT to “refresh” my old harder, per their request! I keep getting emails telling me the request has been “suspended, waiting for parts”. Refresh is the company term for replacing three year old hardware, even if it still works. Our IT department seems to work reasonably well – most days. You make me appreciate them more.

Carol in Richmond, VA

23. Annette says:

Ah, how I remember the good ‘ol days of government work ๐Ÿ™‚ When it comes time for take your kid to work day, just bring Lucy along!

24. hey, it’s got to be a good day when you can knit *and* get a monty python reference!
    rubs to woo-sea ๐Ÿ™‚

Katheryns last blog post..knitting content on a knitting blog? crazzzzzzzzzzy!

25. At least you could take to your knitting!
    My Clarence tries to sneak out every time I come home. He was almost decapitated by a closing elevator door once, so I make sure to wait until the door closes before opening mine. He wanders around in the floor foyer, and eyes the stairs longingly. So far, threatening not to go after him should he embark on a downstairs foray has worked. I’m guessing it won’t much longer.

26. I personally think the hardware issues are related to the mysterious timeline/friends disappearance – which all coincides with your attaining Nirvana. Perhaps someone is jealous of your Overlordship!

(or perhaps I’m just too hopped up on nightime cold meds. Probably the latter)

Danis last blog post..With much appreciation

27. For a minute I thought the socks had stayed home with Lucy and she had done the knitting while you were gone! After all, she WAS up last night Plurking while you were asleep, right? What next for her, world peace?

claires last blog post..Vampire ‘Nanners

28. Frustrating as that is, at least you had your sock to knit on and calm you down ๐Ÿ˜€

And Lucy doesn’t want to go to work, she just doesn’t want her mummy to leave her!

Nickys last blog post..Random observation …..

29. What? No “take your cat to work” program???

Susans last blog post..I have a sunburn….

30. Margie from Maryland says:

Cute bear hat!

31. A day that resulted in that much of a sock can’t be all bad. BTW, are we going to get the video of pfb like you promised at Spring Fling? I can’t remember how to do it…(whining)

Thanks in advance!

Lauries last blog post..Sunday’s Garden

32. Your socks look great! How many pairs of socks have you knit?

Purls last blog post..The guy hat

33. Oh my gosh! And I thought OUR IT department was bad! I still have supervisors who don’t quite understand how dead in the water I really am without a computer. Oh, to knit at work! (Actually, I did do half a row during lunch yesterday and that was being really devious for me!)

The sock looks great! I’m doing a toe-up monkey sock right now that is still mostly just a toe. I’m getting close, though.

Trish in MDs last blog post..Sock Toe Update (for a good laugh!)

34. Isn’t it amazing how we are completely unable to work without a computer, whereas 20 years ago we hardly used them at all? A good excuse for you to knit, though, so it can’t be all bad.

kmkats last blog post..Duh.

35. Be careful if Lucy goes out into the hall tomorrow! There were a lot of dancin’ nanners out there last night! Hope they didn’t keep you awake!

36. I’m sorry to hear about your frustrating day. And, in light of that, I just want to say that should you hate me forever for what I’m about to do, I will go on loving you and hanging on your every word anyway. But, special as this yarn is (and I’m a blue/green fanatic so I just love it), I don’t think it is the kind of yarn that your sidebar WIP tracker is claiming. The beginning ‘c’ is an ‘s’, right? Cuz, if not and it is really true – I’m off to buy me some, asap!

farm-witchs last blog post..Brilliant Baby Surprise….

37. Wow. What a day. At least it wasn’t a total wash. The sock is lovely.

38. hmmmmm–this would be the computers purchased by our government, right? Be afwaid, be vewwy afwaid.

39. hmmmmm–this would be the computers purchased by our government, right? Be afwaid, be vewwy afwaid.

40. My Charlie does that too… darts out the door and lays down in the dirt.

I would love to have a day like yours. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kims last blog post..Searched

41. Theresa in Italy says:

Good eye, farm-witch! I’m in line right behind you!

42. nicole/sweden says:

you tantrum?
    epic tantrum?
    if there wasn’t any sound of splintering plastic you deserve an award. ๐Ÿ™‚

43. Meribeth says:

I wish I could have been there to see the tantrum! Sometimes that is what is needed to get through someones thick scull. I am proud to say that I am a tantrum thrower myself and I trully respect that you are in the Epic catagory! Well done!

Uh huh. Cats. Yep. Once you get used to one of their “little tricks” they will come up with another one. Just to keep you on your toes, ya’ know.

44. Sounds a lot like my day…our servers have been down in the mornings recently, and my development server was completely down until 2pm. I had Boss-Sanctioned Office Knitting for 6 hours! ๐Ÿ™‚

(and this morning? kaput once more. time for me to find a fun toe-up pattern for a wild variegated colorway…)

45. Ah, yes…you bring back the old days…we used to live on the 11th floor of Idylwood Towers in Falls Church…I remember many times chasing the cats back into the condo…it’s amazing how fast & how far they can run when they think they are on an “adventure”! (How does Lucy like fire drills?)
    At my former office in Vienna, we learned the only way to solve the computer glitches was a UPS…a universal power supply…for each and every computer…the increased sanity and decreased tantrums were worth the $100 per unit!

46. It looks like bear did the knitting! I’m sorry your day was so unproductive work-wise – we always wind up paying for those in a big way eventually. The sock looks great!

Jennifers last blog post..Attaching the asp

47. Well, sometimes it just requires epically proportioned tantrums to get through to some people.

You really should make a hat for that little teddy bear to keep his head warm between socks. You could just make the first part of a sock, up to the heel and then cast off and let him keep it for his very own … imho.

Pretty, pretty sockies.

Warmest,
    firefly

fireflys last blog post..A little something for the planet

48. You have to love computers, it took me a good 20 min. of turning mine on and off today to get mine up and running.
    I would love to have a job where I could bring my little dog to work with me. She would so love just sleeping all day under my desk!

Jewels last blog post..Needle Punch

49. It seems like you had a nice day, nevertheless. Good sock knitting time. Lucy just misses you and want to see what you are up to outside the door!

Danieles last blog post..Are you a multi-crafter?

50. I work from home as well (if you can call waiting for orders to come in owrk hehe!) My cats enjoy having mama home so much they drive me absolutely nuts some days. The upside…My 12yr old doesnt pull the “Escape Artist” trick as much anymore, the downside (if you can call it that) they all get mad if I go outside and work in my flower beds or if we leave for longer than a few hrs ๐Ÿ™‚

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..I have an FO, and possible Mystery answered and a few Pictures

51. And that is why I always take my knitting with me…although I am not allowed to knit at work, even with computer problems such as yours. My management is not very enlightened, and would rather have me twiddle my thumbs while waiting for IT than to pull my knitting out…I do manage to get a little done at lunch and at stoplights or while waiting at a railroad crossing. I’ll bet Lucy would enjoy going to work with you. She just wants you to be able to benefit from her company all day long. ๐Ÿ™‚

52. Too bad you don’t work here with me. I work in our IT department and we would have you up and running MUCH faster, and we have brand new computers to hand out. Of course, that would eat into your knitting time, so…

My kitty, Saja, does the thing where she throws herself down like that and then stretches wayyyyy out. She is an inside/outside cat and will do that when I walk up to her whether it be in the house or outside on the front porch. I think it means, “Stop and pet me, Mom!” Which, of course, I do.

53. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh… there’s nothing like an epic tantrum to clear the air now and then. Lord knows I have thrown a few. Sometimes they work out, other times not. Here’s hoping your IT dept coughs up exactly what you need.

Lucy misses her Mama! Buster sulks if he thinks he’ll be left along. Both my cats are used to having people around them, even if “Dad” spends a lot of time in his garage.

I LOVE your seaweed sock, it is spectacular! luv.m.

54. It’s a shame you don’t work for the Pentagon. Then you could have a really expensive new computer (that doesn’t work).
    So on Tuesday my tax dollar support the Arts in the form of your lovely new sock. I can handle that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ann in CTs last blog post..Go Yankees!

55. I’m glad you got to knit! But I hope the computer woes are behind you for a good long while (since they’re never completely gone)

Lucy. Mom needs you to stay in the condo, hon. Are you feeling unappreciated or something? Who loves you better than anyone else? Ok…besides KOARC?
    (((hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..I Need a Re-Do!

56. Love the Monty Python reference!!

57. I love your cat.

sheas last blog post..How to thin oil paint and The best way to thin oil paint

58. Yay!! Teddy!

(I losted my innernets temporarily and was so hoping to see you and teddy while I had a little access–Yay!!)
    (I never got my stalker button–any thoughts?)