1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Y’all Have Great Taste in Music!

. . . because many, many (I might go so far as to say most) of the songs/artists you suggested are ones I already have in my iTunes library!

But there are some you’ve mentioned that I don’t have, so you’ve given me a good list to work with and I thank you for that. For example, I can’t believe it has never occurred to me to get Carole King’s Tapestry.

When I was in high school, I took art classes because I had high hopes of becoming an artiste (which clearly did not work out). In my sophomore year, we had a record player in the classroom and a teacher who did not mind if we played music during class. We had two albums: Godspell and Tapestry, which we played over and over and over, for the entire school year. The result of that is that I run screaming in the opposite direction whenever I hear anything from Godspell, but I am instantly transported back to being a teenager and the fun I had in that art class when I hear anything from Tapestry.

A Time-Suck of Epic Proportions

Thanks to the lovely ladies at Mason-Dixon Knitting, I found the link to this site, where you can do cool things with photos. Like this:

photofunia 240x173 Yall Have Great Taste in Music!

Anyhow . . .

I started a new sock. Shocking, isn’t it?

sip072208 240x180 Yall Have Great Taste in Music!

Because it is hotter than all get-out here, I am happy to be knitting with Wollmeise in the am kalten Polar colorway, which, if the Google translating tool is correct, means “Arctic cold.”

Because this yarn stripes, I wanted a pattern that was relatively simple, and this one fits the bill nicely. It’s a very simple lace pattern I doodled up. It doesn’t “fight” with the striping, but adds a little interest, I think.

I’m calling the pattern “Halcyon Socks.” Because I like the name.

Some of you who have not experienced Wollmeise first-hand have asked if it is all it is cracked up to be. I think it is. The colorways are to die for. The yarn base is very interesting — it is a multi-ply and I don’t think I’ve seen another sock yarn that uses the same base. The one drawback is that if you are not careful, you can split the plies while knitting. But I find that I can adjust my knitting style slightly to accomodate that and have fewer problems. Also, I look at my work a bit more frequently (I tend not to look at my knitting while I knit socks) and that way catch and fix any splits, though I’ve not had many.

I’d be looking at my work more frequently anyway because the yarn is so darn pretty!

sipcloseup072208 240x160 Yall Have Great Taste in Music!

And now, for no particular reason, a photo of my giant fortune cookie!

fortunecookie072208 209x240 Yall Have Great Taste in Music!

Please note that this photo was taken last Friday and the fortune cookie (ahem) is no longer looking like this.

And of course, here is a pic of Miss Lucy.

lucy072208 240x131 Yall Have Great Taste in Music!

Comments

1. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the Tapestry album. Ay carumba. I was in high school too, but what I remember is that album along with Sweet Baby James (James Taylor) and Sit Down Young Stranger (Gordon Lightfoot) were THE albums my girlfriends and I were playing in the summer of ’71.
    We too were “artists” and I remember all of us (watercolor) painting – astrological signs, pictures from my Tarot deck, etc. – on butcher paper that I stuck to the walls in my bedroom. VERRRRYYY INNNTERRESTING ;-) That was a looonnnnggggg time ago, but happy memories nonetheless.

Lucy, R U hiding ? Pouting? Needing some salmon treats? luv.m.

2. anne marie in philly says:

and just WHERE does one get a giant fortune cookie like that?

I have never seen one that big. did it come with a paper fortune? inquiring minds wanna know… ;-)

3. Love the new pattern.

J

Tiny Tyrants last blog post..To Be There for Her.

4. You may want to check out Carole King’s “Living Room Tour” album. It’s very nice.

5. I’ve been tempted to go through some of those suggestions and download a few songs for myself!

And that is one awesome fortune cookie! :o

Rias last blog post..On a grand adventure!

6. I disagree. I believe you ARE an artiste!

7. An Artiste you are! As is the ever elusive Lucy!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..More pics to post and a WIP update

8. Tapestry was my 3rd album purchase in my life!!! The first was Revolver. The second was Sweet Baby James.

9. Ah, Tapestry. I was a bit older, but my roommates and I listened to that endlessly. James Taylor, too.

10. Miranda says:

More suggestions in music:
    An artist that isn’t completely classic, but is a class act, Ellis Paul. Wonderful lyrics, and beautiful tunes.
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Indigo Girls
    And it wouldn’t be classic rock with out… ABBA!

11. You most definitely ARE an artiste, Wendy, you just use a different medium. Anyone who can design a sock pattern off the top of their head while knitting it is a genius, in my opinion!

12. Tapestry & Godspell…..they were my faves, too -know them by heart!

chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chicka-boom-chick-chick!

Cindy Ks last blog post..Nanner complete, but not yet ripe!

13. You are most definitely an artiste! I wish I could crank out those sock patterns the way you do!
    And that Wollmeise! OMG! It is to die for!

14. Timmie B says:

Thanks for your comments on Wollmeise. I felt a little disloyal last week when I commented on Ravelry that I had issues with the kinking (also splitting). The colors are as you said “to die for.” I’m on my second pair of socks and the yarn in fabric is stunning. Looking at the skein/cake, I would have never guessed the colors would look like they do in socks. I hope you enjoy your iTouch.

15. I was going to suggest Tapestry but I would have sworn you had it already! Who knew!

16. I could listen to Tapestry every day of my life. I know every word by heart. I was introduced to it while I was pregnant with my baby girl 20 years ago and have worn through (3) copies in the house.

Karens last blog post..

17. What? You were still in high school when Tapestry came out? You infant. No Donovan? Weird. I can still listen to Donovan all day. Sad, but true.

18. I am in complete agreement with Lea W. Your work is most assuredly art, my Plurkey friend.

The colorway is amazing! I love the way that the colors change – it’s seamless.

Megan S.s last blog post..Things I like – I’m starting a MeMe….

19. That is an interesting photo. Did you have to download a program to do that, or is it purely internet?

Also, here is a funny video that I think you might like: http://youtube.com/watch?v=s13dLaTIHSg
    There are three total, but that is my favorite.

20. Dorothy says:

I love the picture of Lucy in your eye reflection. If you go to Wollmeise site the name of the yarn translates to In the cold Arctic. Good yarn to be working with in this heat. I thik Wollmeise yarn is wonderful also.

21. I scrolled through a lot of the comments from yesterday and I was sooooo excited to see all the great music people listed. I may have to go and steal some of those songs. I can totally relate to how music can instantly transfer you back to a different place and time.

And, as always, love the sock knitting!

Melissas last blog post..Must Knit Socks…

22. I think the German actually means something more like “on the cold pole” or “in the cold Arctic”. Beautiful yarn!

Anisas last blog post..to frog or not to frog?

23. I love the eye photo… I tried but it doesn’t seem to want to work with me. Maybe tomorrow when I am not so tired.

Lucy the apple of your eye. Love it

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Tuesday- Are you ready to Tackle

24. Laura T. says:

I beg to differ. You are most certainly an artist.

25. Theresa in Italy says:

I have to chime in to say that you certainly ARE an artiste!

26. Hi, the translation is close, but I would have said At the Cold Pole would hit closer.

Karins last blog post..Week-end

27. Tapestry is good… with more knowledge, I would like to suggest Linda Ronstadt- When will I be loved, You’re no good and That’ll be the day. :)

28. cecilia says:

You might also try the Carol King Tapestry remake with several different preformers singing the Tapestry songs. Miles of Aisles by Joanie Mitchell is also great. The latest James Taylor preformed in Pittsfield Mass at the old theater is also a wonderful trip back in time. Have fun shopping. cd

29. I sounds like alot of us are in the same age group. I to listened to Carole King in High School. I found a new love for her when Gilmore Girls came out and Carole and her daughter sing the theme song. Carole also played in the last two seasons.

Jewels last blog post..Still Here!!!

30. Pree–ee-eee-pare yee the way of the Lord………

Good times. I had forgotten all about that one.

Kays last blog post..Gotta Love a New Toy

31. Michele In Maine says:

That Wollmeise colorway looks a lot like Pfaenauge (sp???) knit up. Great color saturation!

Ah, yes, Tapestry! What a classic. Amazing how those songs can transport one!

32. Can you imagine the uproar if you were to play Godspell in school today? Sheesh!

33. Hi Wendy! Knit up the Seaweed socks and just wanted to thank you. I had to do some head-scratching to figure out the heel as it was my first attempt at this type of heel, but it was worth it. I’m not a process knitter for nothing… Hope it cools down soon, here in chilly Finland our heat wave is about +24 C today.

Maris last blog post..Currer

34. I got some great music ideas from your comments too! Thanks to all the other commenters.

35. I wuz sooooo busy reminiscing I didn’t comment on your lovely sock. That is such a cool color scheme! Very artic – like a sunrise or sunset there, huh? Fire and ice! Whoops, is that a reference to a song? Nope
    ;-)

And you ARE MOST definitely an artist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv.m.

36. LORI WILTINGER says:

My favorite music is Bob Marley. Not sure if it’s been mentioned.
    Favorite song – No Woman No Cry.

37. Why would you think you are not an artist? Don’t you think your knitting patterns qualify as art? If so, you are wrong.

38. I forgot! Do you have an Atlanta Rhythm Section?

MicheleLBs last blog post..Judy’s Magic Cast On