1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Cuz I Felt Like It

Although we are in the throes of the Summer of Socks, I have started a non-sock project.

(waits for collective gasp of horror and/or surprise to die down)

Here’s the yarn:

laceweight080208 240x160 Cuz I Felt Like It

Laceweight merino from Tempted, in the “Rose Red” colorway.

Here’s the project thus far:

cleite080408 240x160 Cuz I Felt Like It

This is Miriam Feltons’ Cleite shawl, available for sale from the Twist Collective.

The original was knit from Sundara silk laceweight and the pattern calls for 1000 yards. My skein of yarn is 880 yards, but I am making this for someone who is not very tall, so I wouldn’t be making the full size anyway. In the pattern Miriam notes that it is bound off without knitting a separate edging so you can pretty much stop when you run out of yarn (making it a good choice for a handspun yarn). I’ll likely not use the entirety of my 880 yards anyhow.

The pattern calls for a 3.25mm needle, which is what I’m using. There is a gauge posted on the pattern which I have not even looked at. I tend to ignore gauge when knitting a lace shawl. As long as it looks right to me, I’m happy.

I’m really enjoying the pattern so far. It’s easy — no tricky stitches and no decreases on the wrong side rows — but the pattern is entertaining enough to keep me interested.

Ask me again when I’m near the end. I am always ready for a lace shawl be to be done long before it is!

I’ve not abandoned sock knitting — it has just been relegated to commuter knitting for now.

sip080408 160x240 Cuz I Felt Like It

And Lucy is, as always, hard at work.

lucy080408 240x160 Cuz I Felt Like It

Comments

1. The sock makes a perfect hat for your sock model.
    I think you work Miss Lucy too hard

2. I’m glad I’m not the only one who ignores gauge on shawls :-)

Karens last blog post..

3. JoAnn-WI says:

It’s nice to have a non-sock project once in awhile. Lace knitting shawls aren’t for me, so I usually have a sweater going.
    Lucy looks like she just doesn’t care what you’re working on, as long as she hears knitting needles working = mom is home.

4. Karen in Baltimore says:

There’s a difference in color between the two photographs. Which one is truer to your shawl (a lovely pattern, by the way)? I would go bonkers trying to determine gauge on a lace project. Ripping out and trying over and over just to get it just right? Life is too short.

Looking forward to seeing the completed shawl.

5. I love the look of your shawl so far! I love Mim’s completed one, too, but I have too many projects in the queue to add that one also just yet. I look forward to seeing yours!

Nicoles last blog post..Weekending

6. Pretty…pretty…pretty, can’t wait to see your progress going forward!

Jens last blog post..I {heart} my Pink iPod

7. There’s a gauge for shawls? Who woulda thunk it? ;-)
    That’s going to be a beautiful shawl with that yarn. Enjoy the sock hiatus!

MicheleLBs last blog post..Some enchanted evening

8. Pretty shawl in the works! Before I saw what it was I recognized it — I was just over at Twist Collective, which is very cool.

I’m loving the new sock too. :o)

9. That is a very pretty colorway! It is working very well with the pattern. I can’t wait to see your finished version.

Rosas last blog post..Socks–Hedera

10. Gauge-shmage. Who needs gauge if it has no seams? Not me!!

I liked the majority of the items found in TC… Argh. I think I need to do the Wysteria pattern.. A wool turtle neck in North Carolina.. Perhaps a substitute is in order.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!!

Megan S.s last blog post..Busy Busy Busy!

11. I joined the summer of socks, and so far have knit one half of one sock. so much for my goal of knitting down my sock yarn stash. But I got caught up in the socks that rock sheep to shoe, and just finished spinning, plying, washing skeining, my very own yarn, and started the sock yesterday. I’m quite proud of myself. This is the long way of saying I have totally fallen off the summer of socks wagon, and your shawl is lovely, and maybe it’s time for me to knit a shawl!!!

12. Cynthia A says:

Silly me – from your title I thought that you had done a felted project :)

Lovely shawl, I can’t wait to see it’s progression!

13. I knit the sample for that shawl this winter, and I used WAY less than the entire ball of silk. So you should be fine yardage wise. :)

Jessimuhkas last blog post..Little Child’s Socks and new socks

14. Wonderful colorway! Spectacular shawl! Lucy! Stop sleeping so hard! luv.m.

15. Teddy looks very ecclesiastical today.

Your shawl yarn looks very like the yarn I am doing your lovely Kay’s Diamond & Purls in! (I am almost done tinking; I am at least past the scary loops hanging out willy nilly part that I had going on, but when I got there, I realized that to fix the original mistake, I had to tink back two more rows, so I am sucking up and doing it if I’ve come this far). Anyway, I am still loving the yarn, which is a very good thing. Because reknitting the same part over again just is less satisfying the second time, no?
    (Tinking is WAY less satisfying than knitting!)

Lucy needs to rest up for another hard day of napping tomorrow, you know, just like my cat.

Cathy-Cates last blog post..Pre-Vacation Vacation

16. Love the new shawl! And Teddy does look very somber in his sock.

Jennifers last blog post..Tag! I’ve never done this before!

17. Wow!!! I can’t wait to see the progress. You are amazing Wendy!!

18. Timmie B says:

I love that shawl pattern and may have to buy it yet. I looked at it and talked myself out of buying it. Now that I’ve seen yours I may just hafta…I usually have other projects besides socks also. I think it keeps me from being bored and I don’t usually have UFOs or hibernating projects (I have one now due to SoS and the DIC Baby KAL). Gotta go plurk then knit.

19. I love the color of the yarn for the shawl…I think I must be colorphobic because just about everything I knit is either some shade of blue or some shade of green. Although I did knit booties in a yarn called hot flash. That has been my only wild color. I just cant seem to picture the finished product, no matter what it is, in a different color. Perhaps when I lost my ability to taste and smell I also went color blind.

20. Don’t you love Tempted yarn? I’m in a sock club that gets a Tempted yarn every month. I love, love, love it.

Gauge? What’s that?

Marions last blog post..Mom’s little helper

21. The colour for the shawl is so vibrant. It would look fabulous over a black evening dress. Poor Lucy looks like she’s been made to work far too hard, all those projects to supervise.

Alisons last blog post..How do I….?

22. Theresa in Italy says:

Teddy looks like he should be outside Buckingham Palace, eyes front, ignoring the tourists.

Shawl gauge? Are we kidding? (That one is looking very pretty; I may have to go back to Twist and let myself be tempted!)

23. AT LAST a non-sock project :)
    And I’m happy to hear that you don’t swatch for a lace shawl – I don’t do it either!

24. Love the bear hat!!!

25. Michele In Maine says:

Lucy looks a little peaked. She needs a vacation!

26. Dr. Jackie says:

Wow…I have been gazing longingly at several non-sock projects I want to work on, but have felt guilty even thinking so since I’m trying to stick to SoS!

I love all of Mim’s patterns, so if I say I have your permission (just like not picking up the wraps), so you think the SoS people will forgive me if I indulge myself in a little non-sock knitting?

27. you know the shawl is lovely.
    the sock is looking good
    and it is such hard work being a cat.
    you really need to give her some more treats…:)
    love ya lucy!

minijaxters last blog post..Contest entry

28. I am SO glad I’m not the only one straying from SoS ’08! I dutifully finished my fourth pair of socks. But before I cast on my fifth pair, I started a log cabin blanket with my leftover sock yarn. And now I’d rather work on that than the fifth pair of socks! :)

Speaking of SoS ’08 — I’m only knitting Wendy Johnson’s sock patterns all summer. Yea! I’m Pupcake on Ravelry, in case you’re curious as to which ones I’ve done already…. Thanks, Wendy, for all your awesome patterns!

29. Love the sock hat on the teddy. What a great color for the shawl it’s definitely MY color

Lucy stop working so hard kitty, it is summer afterall

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Tuesday- Taste the Sweetness of Sugar Cubes

30. Poor Lucy must be exhausted after a long day of blinking, licking her nose, purring and napping! Poor thing! ;)

Ahh, to be a cat.

31. The finished Cleite didn’t take all of the 1000 yard skein of Sundara Silk Lace either, so you’ll probably get more out of your skein than you think. :) I hope you enjoy the pattern!

32. I think we all need something new to knit on every once in awhile. It’s what makes knitting so great! Stop one thing and pick up another. With the speed you knit socks I wouldn’t be surprised if you crank this shawl out in no time at all!

Trackbacks