1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

On Stash Storage

Yeah, as I figured, there is wisdom on each side of the plastic bag fence.

I’m getting a weird visual here of a fence made entirely from plastic bags. Anyone ever seen a braided rug made entirely from Wonder Bread wrappers? I have. (A quick google image search tells me that my sighting was not a lone one. Go figure.)

A number of you report that is is not a good idea to store wool and other natural fibers in airtight plastic for extended periods of times for the reasons outlined in yesterday’s comments, and that does make sense to me. Apart from the segregating of like yarns for projects, my main purpose in ziplock-bagging my yarn has been moth deterrent.

As I said, I’ve never had any problems with moths, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.  However considering the size of my stash, there is a good chance that some of it might spend years in plastic bags.

So I ordered a whole bunch of some herbal moth deterrent from Simple Thyme, and will place that in liberal amounts in the stash room and in the linen closet. (I didn’t tell you that more than half of my very large linen closet is dedicated to stash storage, did I?) That way, not only will my home stink purty, it will hopefully discourage any little winged b*st*rds that could possibly try to move in.

So I’ll let any new sock yarn bask au naturel, sans ziplock bags. I think the rest of the stash I’ll leave as is — most of it is in non-airtight bags anyhow.

Sock-a-Doodle-Doo!

Speaking of socks, lookie here.

fernfronds081208 240x231 On Stash Storage

The Fern Fronds socks are done. They are knit from Sanguine Gryphon Eidos sock yarn in the “Socrates” colorway, on 2mm needles.

This was my first sock project completed using the Hiya Hiya needles. I like them very much. Only time will tell if the join remains the same. I’ll be sure and let you know if it doesn’t.

YUM

My work friend who gave me blueberries from her father’s place last week (remember the big-*ss berry pictured in the blog afew days ago?) kindly brought me another bag today:

blueberries081208 240x160 On Stash Storage

You can be darn sure I’ll be nom-nom-nom-ing on these in the very near future!

Lucy the Critic

This morning, as is my wont on weekdays, I watch the “OMG What Are You Doing Up At The Hour Seriously Early Morning News” on CBS before leaving for work. And as usual, Lucy was curled up in my lap, dozing. At the very end of the newscast they did a story about the woman who won this year’s hog-calling contest at the Illinois State Fair and showed this video clip:

As soon as the woman started, Lucy snapped her little head around to watch the tv, a look of supreme disgust on her face. She stared at the tv, quivering with annoyance until the “performance” was over.

Quite the little critic, isn’t she?

lucy081208 240x160 On Stash Storage

Comments

1. As soon as I read “stink purty” a good amount of the Diet Coke I was drinking (lime-less, alas!) came shooting out of my nose. You have to warn me!!!! ;0)

Liz R (lizandjuan)s last blog post..Yarn shopping and stash photos

2. PICAdrienne says:

Well, I am sure Lucy sees no reason for hogs to be called. She would probably be more appreciative of a salmon call.

Should the Simple Thyme deter carpet beetles as well? I had only heard of lavendar as a natural deterent. Of course, that w ould also leave your house ‘stinking purty.’ :)

3. I think I know what Lucy was thinking as she watched and listened to that heinous hog-caller: “Come on, baby, bring me some bacon for my food dish!”

KOARCs last blog post..August

4. Aww, man, I’m never going to get to be the first commenter!

That story reminded me of this one:
    My dad’s brother in law is Guy Harvey (a marine biologist and sport fisherman), and he has a show about, well, sport fishing.
    The shows are filmed in Panama, with a mixture of dry cameras and underwater cameras. We were watching an episode about Pacific Sailfish (similar to marlins but not quite). A shot came on the screen of a group of baby sailfish swimming in circles, and Luther (7 year old kitty) sat there on the edge of the bed, eyes fixed on the screen, his whole body tensed up. We laughed and laughed.

I’d frankly be more impressed if he ever actually caught anything…

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

5. I’m with lucy.. that display was rather annoying, but I guess everyone needs a hobby, and surprisingly enough, not everyone is into knitting.. go figure.

6. Lucy is so smart. She knows how unrefined it is for a lady to call hogs! Now calling cats is different!
    Love the socks. (having Plurk withdrawals this evening?)

7. LOL! I agree with Lucy’s assessment of the “performance.” I’m not sure which one was worse: the sounds or the facial expressions.

8. Debit is in agreement with Lucy. She was en route to the kitchen for a snack when the hog caller video started. She u-turned and came back and sat very still until it finished.

I’m roflol over KOARC comment. That’s probably what Debit thought too.

9. It may just be me, but every time I’ve read “Socrates” on your site the last several days, I read it “sew-crates”, like in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Just me? Yep, I thought so. Bummer.

10. Cathy Johnson says:

Thank goodness Lucy is discriminating; my faith in felines remains unwavering. (Don’t you love smart cats?)

11. Dr. Jackie says:

OMG…that video is positively frightening! Socks are pretty though (and certainly much more soothing…)

12. After listening to the annoying hog caller, I totally understand Lucy’s look of disgust! And, as usual, the socks are fantastic!

13. anne marie in philly says:

the catnip mousie is still in one piece! amazing! old eagle eyes here…

steven and meredith say: “cousin lucy, you have class!” ;-)

14. You gotta love those state fairs. Where else could you see such a thing? ~ksp

Kellis last blog post..Liberation

15. Margie from Maryland says:

I dunno – I kinda liked the hog caller, at least inasmuch she was unafraid to flaunt her individual style. We all know how it feels to get weird looks because we’re knitting. So, I guess we can tolerate someone else’s unusual (to us) hobby….

Love the socks.

Yes, I guess I’ll need to put tie bands onto the wire panels in my yarn stash.

16. Ah yes, those of us who hail from Illinois are mighty proud.

Lucy might feel differently if she was calling, say, turkies.

17. Ann Carpenter says:

Hi Wendy,
    As a former country girl who once had a pet hog named Minnie Mouse, despite the fact my dad insisted she was a he, wonder if Minnie had a complex, I can’t help but wonder if Lucy was hoping(or fearing) a big hog would show up in HER bedroom! I mean, that lady gets in some serious calling there! BTW, you do know STR is sending their Lucy yarn on vacation don’t you? Love your socks. Wish I was half as talented.
    Ann Carpenter in HOT Dallas, Texas

18. Have you seen http://www.mothheaven.com/ ? I recommend her treatise on moth control.

You have a large enough stash, and buy yarn from myriad places….I strongly recommend continuing the bag system. I have had moths. Unless you plan on a dedicated freezer for control once you get the beasties, you will be VERY glad that you had the plastic bags, should you get a contaminated lot of yarn!!!!!

Colleens last blog post..Ravelympics Projects!

19. Omigosh. I’m definitely with Lucy. The scary part is that I have family that I’ve never met in Springfield, Ill., where the caption says that lady is. Some things are just better left unknown.

20. Oh my… I’m sorry that both of you were subjected to that at such an early hour. No one should have to listen to something like that before lunch.

21. Just shows to go ya, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses! :-)
    Love the socks! Lucy is such a genteel lady, I’m not surprised she didn’t like the hog caller. luv.m.

22. I am originally from the Springfield, IL vicinity (my mom still lives there) and would like to attest that not all the inhabitants behave like that! In fact, I was taught by my grandpa that really all that was needed was a “Soo-ey! Sooo-ey! Here, pig, pig, pig!”

(Love the socks!)

jannas last blog post..More H for Harley

23. Sigh… It would be a major issue to attempt tp get al of my fiber out of it’s bags. Would opening the top do, I wonder?

Susans last blog post..Oceans of Fun!

24. Not to rain on the parade, but my only moth infestation came when I started using herbal moth repellent. I lost a few fleeces, a bunch of lace weight and weirdest of all, some wool/acrylic blend the moths had tattered and torn to bits! They were liberally surrounded by the repellent in both free-form and sachets. Be careful!

Susans last blog post..Awesome shoes

25. I am sure Luccy was just plain amazed that someone should bother calling for hogs so early in the morning. Everyone knows how lazy they are.

alisons last blog post..Lucky number seven

26. The hog caller, on a pretty low volume, woke my dog up – he’s 2 rooms away…I couldn’t finish playing the clip cause he won’t stop barking and my family is asleep ;-)

Candys last blog post..Mini bags

27. Those socks are really, really pretty.

I use herbal m**h repellent from Lakeland. I know you like Lakeland …..

Mandellas last blog post..When knitting attacks

28. This is what I use: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/anti-moth-lavender-drawer-sachets/F/keyword/sachet/product/1779

I find the smell most appealing, which is good, as the entire stash is now fragranced.

Mandellas last blog post..When knitting attacks

29. I don’t think lack of air ever hurt wool. Or acrylic. Or cotton. Unless there is also moisture.

My concern with plastic bags is that over time (a very looooong time) the plastic deteriorates, and either the bags crack (might let the pests in) or they get kind of gummy. Either of these cases seems to be accelerated by exposure to light. (Wearing chemist hat here.) So the plastic bags in the dark closet are better off than the ones in the light. In either case, replacing the bags every couple of years is probably the easiest and cheapest approach. And will allow (or make) you to go through the stash periodically.

As for repellent – when I was a kid my mother used m*thballs, and found with some consternation that an orlon sweater she had knitted for me had been seriously attacked. The critters seem to be willing to eat just about anything.

30. SInce I live in a 100+yr old house with plenty of wing creature access I think I will continue with the plastic bag control for now. I skipped the hog calling video as I didnt want to cause any type of damage to my kitties (or us for that matter HEHE)
    Most Kitties are the worlds Harshest Critics…esp those that have warm loving homes :-)

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..Ravelympics = progress made

31. “OMG What Are You Doing Up At The Hour Seriously Early Morning News” on CBS… that was just too funny. Unfortunately this is on every morning in my house… my husband is an early bird.

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Wednesday- Wondering Why I Don’t Live In Water

32. As far as Lucy’s career as a critic, the expression “Momma didn’t raise any fools ” came to mind. That woman did bear a certain resemblance to the object of her calls. Both my dog and my cat slept right through it on YouTube and I am grateful , not wanting to subject them to filth. I am sorry you came across it so early in the morning. Would have tempted me to go bck to bed – although I will think of her when I am out running and don’t want to do that last mile.

33. Wendy,
    I thought cedar blocks worked wiht moths??? hmmm. I love the socks they look grrreat! Wanted to let you know … one of my blogging friends has an alpaca and got her first bag of fleece and wrote about having it turned into YARN so her sister can knit her a hat! SO AWESOME I had to pass along since I knew you would appreciate.

34. Your fern frond socks are so lovely! Will you be making the pattern available for purchase any time soon? Keeping my fingers crossed, Katherine

Katherines last blog post..Deadline Knitting

35. I’m with Lucy. Total disapproval of hearing hog calling at night. That there is a daytime pursuit. Preferably with a wobbly-pop or three to dull the sound/make it funny.

Beautiful socks!

Dorothys last blog post..Feel the love/luck.

36. Lucy knows a hog call when she hears one! :)

37. I show your blog to my cats almost everyday. They love Lucy, especially the videos. Today, Kliban, the tabby watched the video and then looked at me and looked away in shame. “You humans………………….”

38. Personally, I think Lucy has good taste. Good grief!

39. Wendy, you like to bake don’t you? A blog or two ago I showed a photo of some blueberry biscuits I made using my very special biscuit recipe (but you could use any biscuit recipe) with fresh blueberries added in. They were so good, I still dream of them. If’n ya have any o’ them thar blueberries left, you might make yerself some good ol’ blueberry biscuits. Yummy!

:) firefly