1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Ode to My Shawl in Progress

wip081308 240x160 Ode to My Shawl in Progress

Oh wondrous shawl, oh gentle gossamer one,
Thou, as I knit from delicate wool
Grow, and catch light from the sun.

Pink and rose and deeper rose,
Subtle hues shimmer in thine depths
A wondrous flowerbed in repose.

Silent and still is the ball of wool,
As one lying fallow, quiet, until
Worked into glorious life by my needle’s pull.

Stitches float off needles and twist,
Lace forms and opens up before my eyes
A fairy wing emerging from the mist.

Gentle lace, thou art a living thing,
Your growth and spirit makes my heart sing!

Lucy sez:

“Don’t quit your day job.”

lucy081308 240x165 Ode to My Shawl in Progress

Comments

1. It’s so nice, no matter what Lucy says. Could get one kind of misty eyed

2. needleglyphs says:

is a little misty eyed herself, Lucy just doesn’t have an ear for poetry

3. Oh lace of mine, why dost entwine
    On fingers like a foe?
    When Wendy’s lace
    Is sylph and grace
    Upon her needles so?!?

Glad yours is going well!!

4. I’m kinda with Lucy on this one. No offence (I’m really not one for poetry, nice as it is) ….. but stick with the knitting. ;0) LOL

5. I’m impressed! Both with the poetry and the shawl. Lucy, Lucy… if Mom wrote an Ode to Salmon Treats I bet you’d feel differently! luv.m.

6. ellen in indy says:

lucy, dear,

both scruffy and spooky suggest that you give your pet human a little more respect. poetry is harder than purling — and much harder than purring.

7. It’s wonderful that your shawl makes you wax poetic. But I, too, am with Lucy. :-D Your blog is always entertaining and informative, and I will be eternally grateful to you for the tip about using interlocking foam fitness squares for blocking!

8. I love your poetry! The shawl is lovely too!

Susans last blog post..detail

9. Alice in Richmond says:

Awww. I love that. The poem and the shawl.

10. Love your shawl is is beautiful. The poetry very entertaining. Lucy’s comment made me laugh! Have a good night.

11. Lucy may have something there!! But You are a very brave woman to share your poetic talent with the world. Good Job!

12. Dont worry Miss Lucy, our 4 cats give us all kinds of grief too :-) The Shawl is really pretty so far, cant wait to see it finished and blocked!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..Ravelympics = progress made

13. Bravo!

14. I think you ode is lovely and so purrfect a description!!! have a great evening!

15. I don’t believe for a minute that Lucy said that. She knows who feeds her. Besides, she’d love you to quit your day job.

Beautiful color for that shawl.

16. Margie from Maryland says:

I especially like the couplet at the end….
    Lovely yarn!

17. Get over it, Lucy. That was really lovely. You should type that up with a calligraphy font and frame it for whomever receives that shawl.

Barbara-Kays last blog post..Victory over Lace Knitting, 101

18. I love the shawl and your poetry
    Lucy has no idea what she is missing :-)

Karens last blog post..The Method to My Madness

19. Lucy, you crack me up. I love ya kitty

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Wednesday- Wondering Why I Don’t Live In Water

20. That poem is MUCH better than that written by Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz (in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams):

Oh freddled gruntbuggley, thy micturations are to me
    As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes
    And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles, or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon; see if I don’t!

Ians last blog post..August

21. You make me smile every day (except weekends) Miss Wendy – you are a treasure. Mwah!

Kellies last blog post..Long time no blog…

22. Liz in IN says:

Lucy just doesn’t want to jeopardize her access to Wildside Salmon, knowing as she does, by feline intuition, the precarious nature of a poet’s income.

Especially a poet who has the nerve to employ rhyme and meter!

Whenever I listen to ‘The Writer’s Almanac’ w/Garrison Keillor, I exercise a vain and futile hope that the poetry selection of the day will have *something* to do with, oh, I don’t know POETRY. Something, anything…besides GK *telling me* it’s a ‘poem’ before reading the

No doubt
    Decoratively-arranged
    ESSAY
    of the day.

Yes, a pet peeve, what makes you ask?

23. That was great! You should do an “ode to fiber” book! :)

Danieles last blog post..Nutkins and Swirls….

24. I enjoyed it! It is sure better than what I could do. You have such a variety of talents!!!

25. The shawl is beautiful still. My arm hurt so badly from twisting that I finally bought the pattern. I haven’t purchased yarn yet hoping to find some at SAFF. If not, I know where TLE is.

The poetry was okay as poetry goes. I prefer prose or poetry set to music.

26. LOL…had a couple of glasses of wine last night, eh? The shawl is lovely!

27. Every cat’s a critic.

The shawl looks lovely.

28. allsubstance says:

hey you critics, leave wendy alone. Her poem rhymes and the shawl is great! Thanks to the person who added that lovely Vogon poem…I love that book!

29. Always a treat for poetry to grace our virtual world.

Angies last blog post..Bad Mouse, Good Mouse

30. Mehopes thou art feeling all right.

Kay Dost LOL With Thee.

Kays last blog post..From Sea to Shining Sea: Road Trip!

31. What do CAT’s know about poetry, anyway?
    *wink*
    LOVE the rose shawl!
    (((hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..Well! I NEVER!

32. You must REALLY love our shawl, to be inspired to write a poem about it! I’m knitting a baby sweater in 1824 cotton and while it’s cute and all, I’m not poetically inspired by it… of course hopefully no one will spit up or poop on your shawl. :-)

33. Your poem makes MY heart sing! Love it!
    xo

34. Boy, cats are harsh critics, aren’t they?

Size thirteen needles
    Fluffy skeins of mohair
    A knitting haiku

35. BTW, on “don’t quit your day job”-type poetry, here’s my latest creation (sadly not knitting related):

Ode to a Muddy Puddle

I am the puddle
    on the sidewalk that you
    stepped in yesterday.

know that it is you.

For you I’ll save
    a smile and perhaps
    a silent laugh

And with muddy water
    splatter
    your ankle, knee and calf.

You’ll curse me
    in frustration
    for ruining your shoe

But I’ll sit
    like any other pool
    and smile back at you.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

36. ….everyone knows that cats can’t rhyme….most of the time. Your shawl is beauteous!

Cindy Ks last blog post..The WIPs are Winning