1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Lucy the A/V Cat

Why was Lucy so interested in my A/V components? Cuz I got a new tv and tv stand! And as we know, all new additions to the home have to be thoroughly inspected and approved by the feline residents.

newtv091608 240x160 Lucy the A/V Cat

Fortunately, Lucy has stopped walking back and forth on the stand in front of the tv, because that was getting old for me. (And in case you care, that’s a 40″ Samsung LCD HDTV. Love it so far!)

Of course, to counteract the joy of having something shiny and new in my home, I yesterday discovered that the pole in my coat closet has collapsed from the weight of the coats hanging on it. Don’t you just hate when stuff like that happens? I’m thinking about working on a solution to the problem. Part of the solution is to get rid of the coats I don’t wear. But when I discovered the situation I simply closed the door on it and thought to myself (a la Scarlett O-Hara) “I’ll think about that tomorrow.”

There is still not much to see here knitting-wise. I am working along on my shawl. Here I am holding it artistically:

shawl091608 240x160 Lucy the A/V Cat

I am making good progress and I’m still loving it. And I’m dreaming about starting my Daily Sweater from the lovely Rowan Calmer I blogged about yesterday.

A couple of you have asked if I still work on the sock yarn log cabin blanket I started ages ago. The answer is no, I don’t. It lost its allure a long time ago and is stuffed in a tote bag in my stash room.

Oh, but to counteract the boredom of this blog post — something cool I got in the mail today.

bbf091608 240x160 Lucy the A/V Cat

This is a handpainted “sock flat” — sock yarn that has been machine knit into a long rectangle and then handpainted. To use it you unravel it and knit your socks from the unravelled yarn.

This is from Black Bunny Fibers. Carol has a small sock club that I’ve been a member of since its start. This go-round she did something different — sock flats! Isn’t that fun?

And what’s really cool about this sock flat is that it is double-knit, with 2 strands of sock yarn. That way your 2 socks will be identical. Pretty cool, huh?

Here is the flat laid out, well, flat.

flat091608 240x87 Lucy the A/V Cat

Meanwhile, Lucy is just hangin’.

lucy091608 160x240 Lucy the A/V Cat

Comments

1. The shawl is beautiful, and I’m jealous of your new TV.
    Hi Lucy

2. I have one of those sock flats–undyed. I plan, someday, to dye it. They look like so much fun to knit.
    The pole in my closet fell one time during the night. The noise woke me up. But it took awhile before I figured out what happened!!

3. Aubrey Upshaw says:

I am exhausted just reading about all of the knitting activity! Love the blog updates…keep them coming! Cheers!

4. Sally Weiner says:

I read that you are not working with your sock yarn. I ‘m kitting The Barn Raising Quilt out of sock yarn and if you are never going back to your quilt how would you like to donate the yarn to me for mine? It’s fun to see all the different kinds of sock yarn. If are interested, please e-mail me. I live in Nashville TN.
    Thanks,
    Sally Weiner

5. I am jealous of your new TV. We will get one before Feb. sigh. Who needs coats? Just wear one of your great sweaters.

Paulas last blog post..Tulip, finished

6. Heidi (aponi) says:

That is *exactly* what I would have done with the closet situation! LOL!

When my DH had his office at home, our kitty loved to sit on the network hub that was under the table right at his feet. It wasn’t a very big box, but then she wasn’t a very big cat. She would kind of tuck her whole body up and just perch there for hours.

7. Look at Lucy!! That’s the same thing Two Fingers does on the back of my chair – it’s hysterical!

The shawl is looking amazing! It looks very calming – kind of like the ocean!

Enjoy the TV – I have smaller version on the way for Christmas. As a gift to myself. Ahem.

Megan S.s last blog post..How many WIPs does one girl need?

8. HI Wendy

Love the shawl, and the flat. I saw them recently advertised in Vogue knitting and was wondering as the kinks in the yarn would drive me nuts.

So a guestion are you going to unpick into two balls , skien and wash to remove the kinks before you knit with the yarn or are you going to use it as is? I know I would wash first. [ Not that I will ever have the chance. One of the hardest things reading blogs is seeing all this fabulous yarn that it prohibitively expensive to ship to NZ.]

Will look foward to seeing the results of that one. This idea was in Threads a few years ago and I have always been meaning to try it out.

Cheers and knit on >^..^<

Beverleys last blog post.."Mind expanding"

9. Question about the double-knit sock flat – does it require that you knit the socks simultaneously? Please share your thoughts as a person who doesn’t usually use patterns for your socks.

We have that TV also – love it! I just wish I had a nice cat to decorate it’s stand.

Also, get rid of some of the coats – I did it last year for a needy-folks coat drive, and my closet is neater (pole no longer bent in middle) and I only kept the coats I love – not everything I’ve ever had for the past 20 years. It’s great – and I’m still not tempted to buy a coat! I am usually a Scarlet O’Hara type myself, though, so am not criticizing your method of dealing with the situation!

10. Warning, Will Robinson! When I got my new HDTV a few months ago, my cats were absolutely fascinated with it — mainly because Lori, my smaller kitty, spent a lot of time sleeping on top of the old clunker tv. Well, of course, this new one is very thin from front to back. I shooed her off of it a few times the first weekend, but when I came home from work that first Monday….. yep, my new TV, lying on its FACE!! Luckily it didn’t fall all the way off of the TV stand, and even more luckily, the screen wasn’t scratched. I ended up having to tie the base of the TV to the table with clothesline, and putting scary wads of aluminum foil along the top of it for a while to keep the kitties off of it. My pride took a little beating for a while — I mean, really, how classy can a room look with the TV wearing an aluminum crown and tied to the table? They pretty much ignore it now, so the aluminum foil is gone, but kitties are sneaky, so the clothesline stays. Just be warned… but enjoy it!

11. Oh, Lucy! You’ve beached yourself again!

Barbara-Kays last blog post..And so I cast on

12. I, too, am interested in the sock flat. Wondering about the kinks in the yarn. I have a knitting machine that I have never used. Hmmm, could this be a possibility?

As for the closet, yes, I , too am Scarlett O’Hara. A year ago or so, I opened our coat closet to discover that the ceiling had begun to collapse. This due to all of the stuff my hubby had stashed in the small space above. My reaction? I closed the door. This is So Cal. Luckily, we seldom need those coats.

Linda Watsons last blog post.."Oh, my, my," said the spider to the . . . beetle?

13. The new t.v. looks great! Love the black going on…

I would be so interested to see how you like knitting from the flat. They say the yarn is a little kinky, but will wash out with the first wash of the socks.

As for coats… well, let’s just say that Scarlett finally had enough here and we dropped off 3 large black garbage bags of coats at the Goodwill last month! Time to start collecting again…… :)

Danieles last blog post..Ike, a new hoodie and the M&M Dude

14. That is one of my favorite pictures of Luceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey

15. I want to try a sock flat, but I want to dye my own….think that might be fun! (want the TV……& the shawl…..) Coats – I have three bags full (yes sir-yes sir three bags full) of jackets, coats, & pants in the back of my car right now…..going to the Salvation Army as soon as I get back into town!

Hugs to you & Lucy!

Cindy Ks last blog post..Sneak Up?

16. I love Lucy in that pose, how can that be comfortable. I bought my first flat panel this year but I didn’t know how to use it right… I need to learn 2 socks at once and maybe it would have worked better. But I loved the yarn just the same after I wound it into two balls that is. {{{sigh}}}

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Monday- Modern Art… you tell me.

17. I LOVE sock blanks- I’ve dyed a whole bunch of undyed ones from Knitpicks. Wonderful fun! I even did one that I wrote a message on.

The rest of my blanks.

Bronwyns last blog post..Wollmeise

18. Lucy and Bligh would get along so well :-) He lays in the same position on the back of the recliner. My mom and dad have the exact same TV and the only kitty of theirs that even goes near it is Muffy and she likes to sit in front of the eye LOL!

Danielle from SW MOs last blog post..No Pics but I do have an Update

19. I’m so glad I’m not the only one who has things happen like a coat rack falling and just closes the door and walks away.

Melissas last blog post..Crossroads

20. I’m quite jealous, both of the new TV (I’m currently watching Dirty Jobs on a 15″old school TV), of your shawl progress, and of your sock flat! What a great idea!

21. As Betty (#10) said, be careful if Lucy likes to launch herself on the top of the TV. When we were chosing ours, several brands were eliminated due to the small base and the ease of rocking the tv with little effort. We got a Toshiba with a boomerang arc base, which my husband promptly tied to a shelf with long strapping cords through holes drilled in the shelf. We’ve watched two cats slid down the back after their launch and startled discovery of the narrow top, but the tv doesn’t budge.

22. Please do tell us about your stash room — is it large? You have shown us a wall of mesh cubbies. Is there more good stuff in there?! A bookcase with your knitting library and magazines? Your supplies?

23. What you call a sock flat, I call a sock blank. I am on my third blank. The first two socks, and dying process of all three are on my blog. The dying process is fun, and you never know what it will turn out.

Charles – DarkinnKnitss last blog post..More Socks

24. Not boring at all. Love Lucy’s pose. Glad the TV passed her high expectations

alisons last blog post..My favourite yarns

25. I also wonder, with some others above, how kinked the yarn will be as it issues from the sock flat. If smooth yarn suddenly doesn’t matter, does that mean frogged knits no longer need to be washed (or steamed) to relax the kinks—ahem…not that *I* ever have to frog anything, you understand ;)—before reusing the yarn?

Looks like monorail Lucy needs to return to the roundhouse for repairs!

Oh, and Sally #4? Thanks for the giggle!

26. I’ve been enjoying your blog immensely, and hearing about Lucy.
    I have 2 papillons, who are control freaks. If anything new comes
    into the house they bark at it, and if it’s on the floor, they pee on it.
    The telephone repairman was most upset about his coil of wire
    being baptized while he was in the basement. Too bad, so sad.

27. Theresa in Italy says:

I’m with you on the Scarlett O’Hara approach to life’s little glitches. A few years ago it was the pole in my husband’s shirt closet that collapsed. I did the same thing you did—closed the door and walked away. Heh, they’re not MY shirts. Besides, he’s the engineer—fixing stuff like that is his job.

Enjoy the new TV and the shawl is looking terrific!

28. I’m confused on the whole sock flat thing… is it just another way to handpaint the yarn? I saw some flats this past weekend and my head just spun around… I don’t really get them. :-/

Kims last blog post..Past my bedtime

29. I covet your new TV. And it’s already tuned in to one of my favorite channels :)

30. Love the TV and the shawl is nice too. I have seen on knitpicks that they have the sock yarn like that but it comes ready to dye.

Jewels last blog post..Ok! more stitch markers

31. Oh, I LOVE this idea! That’s brilliant. Can’t wait to see your finished socks.

Wendys last blog post..What I Did on My Summer Vacation

32. I almost snorted my morning tea when I saw Lucy! Great pose – and not that I want to try it or anything, but how on earth do cats manage to do that???

Felicias last blog post..Halloween Dish cloth swap questionnaire

33. My dad had a barn cat. Every time anyone brought something new into the barn Izzy had to lie on it for a day. No matter what it was. Chairs, piles of wood, bags of grass seed, it all had to be checked out for it’s sleeping potential, covered with cat hair, and claimed as his own.

Sarah-potterknitters last blog post..Walking

34. Hi Wendy, love the shawl it gorgeous. The sock flat is beautiful as well. I have knitted with a flat 2 at a time and just loved it. It was dyed for me in a sock blank swap on Ravelry and I dyed one for someone. I had a great time dyeing the blank, and just as much fun knitting it up into some beautiful socks. The kinks are not noticeable and the sock is very comfy. I hope you enjoy the flat and can’t wait to see what you might knit out of it.

35. Not sure what the pic is on the TV but it’s making me want pizza! I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the sock flat when you work with it. Reviews have been mixed. Lucy is too cute!

Jessicas last blog post..Insanely interesting blog post

36. Hi Wendy. I’m curious (or just dumb) but how the heck do you knit with just one strand of that double knit yarn? Do you need to knit 2 socks at a time? While knitting with one strand do you have to wind the other into a ball?

Meanwhile, Lucy is too adorable for words.

WendyT

37. Cats are crazy…nothing gets in my house without the “full inspection” either. As for the pole, I had a similar problem a few months ago and did the SAME thing! I closed the door because I just couldn’t deal at that moment. Such a simple thing and it wreaks major havoc….I hope you can find a cheap and final resolution….Have a good day Wendy, your blog always lift’s my spirits for the day!

38. I am in LOVE with the sock flat idea. Love, love, love!

Shellys last blog post..Evil Walks

39. Margie from Maryland says:

The shawl is lovely! Can I have it when you’re finished? ;)

40. I love the idea of the sock flat (even more, one that you can dye yourself). I have to wonder if I would have the gumption to double knit my own sock’s worth of yarn (there are so many yarns that I could use for undyed blanks) to try this myself. If I did it that way, I’d get to knit it twice (and unknit it at least once).

41. WOWIE ZOWIE! Love the new TV! Likewise the shawl-in-the-making and the new sock ‘thang’. Lucy is too too too sweet hangin’ on the sofa! luv.m.

42. Laura from Italy says:

Dear Wendy, Your post was some kind of dejà vu for me. Last week my clothes pole dropped too, under the weight of too many things. It was night and I too just closed the door and thought “I’ll think of it tomorrow”. What I did was to repair it with some wire and pliers and move some of the clothes to another clothes pole which will probably soon collapse too.
    As for Lucy pic… I have just taken a pic of Kitty (my black cat) in the same identical pose… Isn’t it strange? I am not planning on a new TV in the near future, but I was just thinking about that sock thing you got. Do you think we might have been twins in a previous life?

43. Lol…I had 2 laugh! My baby Sabbath, a 6 mo. old black bobtail, does the same thing on the arm of my couch! I love it! I love u & Lucy 2!
    Hugs from a fellow knitter n Tennessee.

Anitas last blog post..Boy, it’s been a while!

44. The 2 stranded sock flat – who woulda thunk??? What a clever idea!

Susans last blog post..Strike a Pose