1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Waterfall Socks Pattern

I have finalized the Waterfall Socks pattern and it is available here in pdf format. It is linked to from my “Free Patterns” page as well.

And in a fit of efficiency, I’ve listed it in Ravelry, here, so you can queue it if you so desire.

That reminds me, I’ve listed my Sign of Spring socks in Raveltry as well, here. The Sign of Spring pattern is available for sale at The Loopy Ewe, by the way.

About that shop . . .

I of course have had no response from the shop that is selling my free pattern as part of a kit. The reader who alerted me to the situation will go back and check in a few days to see if they are still selling it, and if so, I’ll identify the shop here on my blog, since a number of you asked.

I was wondering if I had misunderstood, but I am told that the pattern looks like it was printed directly from my website and has my name on it, my phot0, and (get this) even my copyright notice.

Giving them a few days to respond and stop selling the pattern I think covers the “Duh, I didn’t know I couldn’t print free patterns off the internet and re-sell them” scenario. Yeah.

Lookie What I Have . . .

book021109 202x240 Waterfall Socks Pattern

This is a real live honest-to-goodness copy of my upcoming book. Publication date is April 14. If I had more than one, I’d give a copy away. Really. But at this point I have just one advance copy — I’ll get my author’s copies in a few weeks.

I am so pleased with how this book has turned out. The phot0graphy is just lovely and I think there’s a little something for everyone in it, sockwise, that is.

Here’s the back cover:

backcover021109 176x240 Waterfall Socks Pattern

Lucy is so excited she is all a-twitter. See?

lucy021109 240x160 Waterfall Socks Pattern

Comments

1. Having enjoyed a sock jag for some time now, I am really looking forward to your upcoming sock book! It is always a lot of fun to see all the different techniques and patterns and I imagine you’ll have lots of tips to share in the book!

2. Lucy and I both! I have the book on pre-order and can’t wait. I’m delighted you’re delighted, because that’s sure to mean I will be, too.

I DO hope that shop realizes their gaf. It would be nice if they’d stop and apologize, though.

Sandra Ds last blog post..No Excuses

3. I’m anxiously awaiting your book too! I’ll buy from my LYS because…well…in these economic times it’s nice to spread any “wealth” around. Thank you for the free pattern!

4. Can’t wait to see your new book in person! Great cover!

5. I can hardly wait for the book! And thank you very much for the Waterfall Socks pattern. (…and oh if I could bury my face in someone’s belly fur I would!!)

6. Thank you for the free pattern, Wendy.
    I have your book pre-ordered from Amazon and can’t wait to get it!

7. Thanks for making the Waterfall pattern free. I look forward to your book coming out!!!

Nathalies last blog post..Hammer Time

8. Oooh Birthday gift for ME!!!
    My birthday is April 15.
    I look forward to picking up a copy!

Jamie

Jamies last blog post..Rose and her Dancing Flamingos!

9. Thanks for making your Waterfall sock pattern available to all of us. I’ll be starting on that one next. I’ve also got your new book on pre-order – can hardly wait!

Darlenes last blog post..SUPER SUNDAY

10. anne marie in philly says:

does lucy make an appearance in the book?

if so, steven and meredith say that they want a copy! :-)

11. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I join Lucy in being really excited about your book! I preordered mine from Amazon when you first told us the good news.

Thanks so much for the Waterfall pattern–those socks are lovely and I look forward to making them!

12. I have your book on my Amazon wish list… hoping my son will get it for me for Mothers Day

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Tuesday- Contest Day #10- Creative Ideas Abound

13. Thanks for the free pattern.
    I’m looking forward to getting your book.
    Big smooches for Lucy.

14. Hmmmmm, why are you using 0′s for o’s? Are you testing us, or just typing like you knit…at the speed of light and you didn’t notice?

Anyway, thank you so much for the pattern!! I can’t wait to get some of that yarn to give it a shot!! And I sure do hope you out that shop, that’s just not right!

15. Wow!!!! Congratulations on your book! Can’t wait to get myself a copy when it comes out:)!
    Hope you make a million!
    Joan in Ellicott City, Merlin

Joans last blog post..I am now the speed limit in the USA

16. Can’t wait to get my book. I too have it on order. Any news on local book signings?

17. I’m twittering with Lucy. Yay, congratulations on the book

Elysbeths last blog post..Unutterably Rude.

18. Tell the people at the yarn store that you’ll smother them with Lucy’s belly fur if they don’t immediately cease & desist. Oh wait, I WANT to snuggle in Lucy’s belly fur so I guess that wouldn’t be an incentive to stop, would it?

I’ve been on the Amazon list for quite a while now – hope I don’t fall off because yours is one of the few sock books I’ll buy without previewing. I’ve been burned too many times to do that anymroe.

19. Can’t wait to get my copy. I too have it on order. Any news on local book signings? Would be nice to have Lucy’s paw print too…since she is integral part of the book :^)

20. Ooh…I pre-ordered the book MONTHS ago. I can’t wait to get it! (Although, I suppose I will have to…sigh)

Beverlys last blog post..Spring in my step

21. Can’t wait to get my copy—April 15th, huh–will help take my mind off of the taxes! ;)

Elizabeths last blog post..Who doesn’t like a carousel……

22. Wendy – thank you so much for another free pattern. What is really nice is that even sick you managed to this is such a timely manner.

I’ve had the book on pre-order for awhile now. Congratulations on having TWO published books!

23. That must be so cool to see your finished book in your hands. Congrats! It’s on my wish list, so my husband can buy it for my birthday and ‘surprise’ me. Hee hee.
    I really expected to see a photo of Lucy on the front or back cover. Maybe for your next book?

24. Sorry to write another comment. But I just pictured Lucy wearing tiny socks on a book cover. Not that real cats are that co-operative but it would be so cute. She is very photogenic and would probably model for free.

25. Hiya! Thanks for the pattern linkies & sharing with us – very cool indeed!

Cindy Ks last blog post..Crap-ton of Fuzziness

26. I don’t tend to buy sock books as I love designing my own but I am actually going to buy your sock book.

Hugs!!!

Cats last blog post..Everything is socky!

27. Thanks for the Waterfall pattern. My mini mochi should arrive in the mail tomorrow. I can’t wait t0 get started.

Your book looks great. But I do think Lucy should have had a spot on the back cover!

28. Thank you Wendy! I love your patterns and just received three skeins of sock yarn from Loopy Ewe, so will be knitting this one up with one of the three skeins shortly!

Susan B.s last blog post..Pokey Fluff

29. Congratulations to you, Wendy! I am awaiting your book, via Amazon. Knit on!

30. I’m so excited about your book and I’m bringing it to the Fling for you to sign for me (if that’s ok of course) :-)

Karens last blog post..

31. Thanks for the Waterfall Socks pattern. I’m anxiously awaiting your book. You have such great patterns! Hugs to Lucy from my five kitties.

32. Dr. Jackie says:

Can’t wait for your new book!

33. OMG – congratulations on the new book! Looks like a winner!

34. Congratulations, Wendy. I know you’re pleased, and I’m sure the book will be beautiful. So when are you quitting your other job?

35. I’m excited to see that your book will be coming out soon. I have it in my wish list on Amazon waiting for its release. Thanks much for another great sock pattern. Love the way yours turned out.

36. Thank you for the new pattern, Wendy. I just finished the first of a pair of socks incorporating your Seaweed lace pattern into my usual toe-up fits-my-foot generic sock (with full credit to you for the lace). On the second one, I’m going to try recharting the lace so it swirls in the opposite direction. Wish me luck because this will be the first I’ve tried my hand at changing lace.

37. Thank you for sharing the Waterfall pattern! Your beautiful blue Mini Mochi, the color I adored? It was all gone from my LYS by the time I got there. In fact, ALL the Mini Mochi is gone! I think CPY has a winner!

pdxknitteratis last blog post..Leyburns, encore

38. A Fagelson says:

Congratulations! I’ve already pre-ordered a copy through Amazon. Can’t wait to read through your patterns.

39. Get on with your rockin’, book writing, sock knitting self!!!! Congrats– the book looks beautiful and I can’t wait to see it and buy it! Love your blog, and that Lucy, oh my, she does deserve an adoring audience!!!

40. I’ve so queued the waterfall socks and I’m off to look at the others. WTG on the book

shellys last blog post..What I hate about the big thaw…..

41. That’s all well and good that you have a copy, but how about a little preveiw? Just a teeny tiny peak inside. Oh pretty please!

ChristyHs last blog post..WIP’s and Books

42. Book has been on pre order for awhile. Ozzie and Zeus want to know if there is a pin up poster of Lucy included with the book that they can ogle…they could care less about Mom’s yarn and socks.
    Now the girls are another story. April and Salem eat the yarn. Sootz eats the needles. Carmen and Tessa only care about sleep and food.
    As for me – I cannot WAIT for the book. Have plenty of yarn and needles in anticipation!

43. I have your book on pre order. It looks great!! I do think that shop should apologize. Lucy is her sweet self. Have a great Valentine’s Day!

44. Absolutely gorgeous!

Hollys last blog post..The Housewife Diaries: NEW contest! Shecky’s tickets!

45. Thanks for the pattern, I can hardly wait to start. I do have a few other obligations first, a couple hats. I may use the pattern for a pair of pink power socks that are in my queue.

i can hardly wait for the book to come out. i too, will probably wait and purchase it from my LYS. They are good to me and if the little extra I will pay for it by buying local makes a difference and keeps them in business, well, then it is a good enough reason.

46. I don’t know what the shop is obviously, and maybe you know for a fact that they’re on-the-ball enough to see your email promptly, but… it occurs to me that I know a number of business owners who ought to know enough to stay on top of their email, but don’t. They don’t use it in their personal lives, so they don’t understand the expectations they create when they have an email address. They think it’s reasonable to check it once every week or two, or even not at all, or rely on an assistant or relative to do it and don’t know how when that person is gone, etc. They really think that if it’s anything “real,” people will pick up the phone or write a paper letter. There’s even the possibility that there’s an email address on their web site which they don’t really know about (don’t laugh, it’s happened).

Not saying that’s the case here, or that you aren’t completely justified to expect a prompt answer. It just occurs to me that, if you don’t know for a fact that the shop owner uses and understands email, and is able to access it, it may be worth it to wonder whether they have even seen your message. A phone call, even just to ask anonymously whether they read email send to name@knitshipdomain.com, might save you a heap of messiness. It would be sad if this turned out to be a clueless person who’s a bit afraid of “those scary internets” and an unpleasant public shaming is their introduction to the world of online knitting conversations.

47. I’m so sorry you’re having problems with your copyright. It’s hard to believe that someone can’t figure it out! I noticed that a LYS was selling patterns printed out from Knitty, but since she’s in the process of closing her business, it didn’t seem worth commmenting on. The socks are wonderful–thank you!

48. Thanks so much for the free pattern. It’ll hold me until the book comes along. The teaser of the cover art is very nice, a really snazzy looking publication.

I really hope to find a picture of Lucy in the book, or at least the Lucy colorway used for a sock.

49. Thanks again for another great pattern. As I have said many times, you are very generous. I can’t wait to get your new book it will be a birthday present from me to me.

50. I have knit lots of socks, but have yet to master the toe up. Can’t wait to see your book in person! Thanks for the waterfall socks pattern. It is now in my queue on Ravelry.

Lizs last blog post..Bye-Bye to late nights and later mornings.

51. I would think someone from the lys reads your blog because otherwise where would they get the pattern?
    Anyway, thanks for the pattern. I have my mini mochi and now have to practice that turkish cast on. Tonight is the first night I have been home all week and I am on the computer! :P
    Oh, the book looks great! My husband gave me your first book a few years ago as a Valentine’s Day present!

52. I can’t wait to get your book!

53. I’ve just downloaded the Waterfall Socks pattern — thank you! And I’m going to pre-order the new book; hopefully my sock-knitting skills will improve between now and mid-April! :-)

Lucy is gorgeous, as always. (It goes without saying, of course!)

yarnpiggys last blog post..Yarn diet FAIL

54. Congratulations! I look forward to a book signing here in DC or the near environs.

55. Can’t wait to see your book! It looks just lovely. And thank you for such a pretty sock pattern. I need to get cranking on my Wisteria so I can cast on for some socks!

Nikis last blog post..New Sewing Magazine

56. I can’t wait for the book!!!

57. Margie from Maryland says:

Congratulations, Wendy!

58. Lucy’s not the only one who’s a-twitter! I can’t wait to get your new book. Toe-up is the only way I want to knit socks and I’ve longed for a book dedicated to that technique/direction. This one will definitely be on my bookshelf as soon as I can get my mitts on it! And thanks a million for the free pattern; that’s going above and beyond. You (and Lucy) rock!

toni in floridas last blog post..Cupcake’s socks: day 11… Done!

59. I will reserve a copy at my LYS-thanks for the sock pattern! Will post it on Ravelry so you can see what you started…a Waterfall of socks!

Cindys last blog post..My Gallery

60. Oh I am so excited for your new book, I love toe-up socks.

61. Your book is so exciting! I can’t wait to check it out. :)

LittleWits last blog post..Yoga and Windows XP update

62. Thank you for the Waterfall pattern! The book (still) looks fabulous, and I can hardly wait for it.

63. Had another question about Twilight. Were you a Dark Shadows fan back in the day?

64. I love the new sock! just goregous! I have to add your new book to my Amazon wish list!

Michelles last blog post..Shalom

65. Oh my, I am dying to get my hands on your book. I can’t wait to have it. Can it come out any sooner? Pretty, pretty, pretty please?

Rebecca Greens last blog post..I won the race!

66. Congratulations on the book!!!!! How exciting. Can’t wait to see a physical copy. Hopefully my LYS will have them when they are available.

Tonias last blog post..Hand Dyed Yarn/Roving Sale – Birthday Blow Out

67. Thanks for the pattern and I’ll be adding The Sign of Spring pattern to my TLE cart. I pre-ordered your book long ago and can’t wait to see it. Maybe by the time it’s released I’ll be finished with my Daily Sweater and knitting socks again.

68. Yay for the book! The Amazon blurb makes it sound very enticing. Congrats!

E. Engmans last blog post..TOKYO QUILT SHOW PICS

69. egads ! I am running out of excuses for not knitting socks toe up !
    but the mere mention of such things as …..turkish cast on …and my mind goes to mush !! ….I might need a workshop !!

70. Please forgive the terrible pun… is Miss Lucy a-twitter or a-plurker? ;)

Congrats on the book! Can’t wait to pick up my own copy.

Lauras last blog post..Sweet Baby Jayne

71. Lucy seems to be saying “Look at my beautiful stockings, Mom!”

Barbara-Kays last blog post..Little things mean a lot

72. Yay!!! I can’t wait! Your sock patterns are so gorgeous, I simply drool over them.

Lanas last blog post..Christmas Packaging Tips

73. I can’t wait to get your book..wish they had it at Stitches West in 2 more weeks..but I’ll wait..glad you are feeling better.

74. Thank you so much for another gorgeous pattern! I now have a travel pattern!

75. Very exciting – your new sock pattern may have to be one of the next socks I knit up…Also, yay about the book! I think Lucy is saying “Yay Mom is publishing a book that everyone wants!!”

Knitguys last blog post..Fleece!!

76. How exciting for you! Lucy is right to be proud of her mom.
    Looking forward to seeing the book myself!
    Thanks for the pattern in the meantime.

77. Congratulations on the book! That’s awesome. I will be on the lookout for it when it comes out. Sweet!

Wandas last blog post..January Knitting Goals Progress

78. Wooo Hooo! Congratulations. It looks like a beautiful book!

LoriOs last blog post..FAIL! (mostly)

79. Theresa in Italy says:

I pre-ordered your book months ago (about two seconds after you told us about it) and now I’m really excited! It looks great! Can’t wait for it to come out! Thank you for the Waterfall Socks pattern, too. As for That Shop, I suppose one COULD speculate that they saw your blog once, lifted the pattern, never glanced at your blog again, and never ever bother to check their email, but that sounds pretty farfetched to me. And it’s no excuse. (Ok, I’m still feeling just the teeniest bit indignant about this. I’ll stop now.)

80. If you can judge a book by the cover this will be a treasury of sock patterns!
    What luck that I´ve just started knitting socks and liking it ;-)

Johannes last blog post..Woof woof!

81. Ooh, Ze Book! *reaches out to touch* I solemnly swore to myself that there would be NO books until I’ve knitted something from the previous ones I own – but if I give one out in a swap, surely that justifies one more…

Nunts last blog post..Paras postipäivä / The best mail day

82. Congratulations!! You are such an inspiration!

sulas last blog post..TAMDSE

83. Awe-some! I advance ordered mine several weeks ago and looking at the cover, I Can’t Wait! Absolutely gorgeous, Wendy!

84. Congratulations! That’s so exciting!

And thanks for the beautiful sock patterns!

Kirsties last blog post..Trifecta

85. Thank you for the sock pattern! And I’m looking forward to the book.

Lucy’s a-twitter? Good grief, is she on there too? I think I’m OD’ing on social networking, and after reading about distractions and mental functioning… I’ve been on Plurk for a while, but I’m beginning to think it is more electronic cocaine than I should indulge in – and I’m an IT/technical person! Twitter is even more distracting if you have phone notifications, and even viewed online, you get multi-source stream of consciousness. I’ve turned off phone notifications except for school and weather emergencies. Don’t get Lucy hooked on this stuff!

86. The exact same thing happened to me a while back; someone was emailed me after buying stickers with my paintings printed on from a local craft market! Bizarrely, the seller had left my copyright notice and web address on it?! Unfortunately there was nothing I could do.

Same thing happened with stickers on ebay too — but I sort of expected that (which is kind of sad…) because it’s so common.

Love the look of the book, wil definately be getting a copy — always wanted to know how to knit socks toe-up, seems to make more sense doing it that way!

87. Hi Wendy,
    I really think the shop selling the kit is just a misunderstanding and I’m hoping that you don’t publish the name of the shop on your blog. I have no affiliation with the shop and don’t know which one it is, but I really think if you just call the shop owner and speak with them, they will remove the pattern insert from the kit. I’m pretty sure that they don’t feel like they are selling the pattern – the kit would cost the same with or without the pattern – it’s the price of the yarn. They have gone out of their way to make sure that you are credited by including your name and website on the package. I think you just need to help educate them a little on the copyright restrictions you have. I would hate to see them go through public humiliation on a blog because of this.
    DebE.

88. Congrats on the book–must be excitin’! The design looks wonderful

And THANKS for sharing the sock pattern. Can’t wait to give it a try. I appreciate your generosity and hope you don’t let the cheaters and thieves get you down.

89. Wendy thank you for your genorousity in sharing your free patterns. I’m so excited to see the photo of the book! I have a “daily” calendar and a little post it note sticking out of the side of it that says “Amazon ship date Wendy’s book”- I love pulling the page off and seeing the sticky note get closer.

I’ve done toe up, but I’m not a convert, so I’m really excited to see what you have in store for us all.

90. Thank you, thank you, thank you for yet another wonderful pattern. You are making me jealous that you actually have the book! I will just have to be content knowing that I’ve pre-ordered the book and will get my book in April!! I’m stocking up on sock yarn in preparation.

91. The other excuse that LYS might try is “I’m not selling the pattern, just the yarn.” All it should take is a short, lawyerly explanation that merely *printing* more copies than 1 for personal use violates your copyright. Otherwise, yes, I support identifying the shop here. Maybe if they just made a little card saying “Many sock patterns are available for sale or for free on various internet websites. You may enjoy WendyKnits patterns, which are available through Wendy Johnson’s website at X,” then they’d sell yarn, you’d get credit and publicity, and everybody could help stimulate the economy!

92. I have your book on my Wishlist, waiting its publication date.

And I even took a toe-up sock class to prepare for it! Can’t wait.

Sarah Rs last blog post..Little Breath Of Spring

93. Thank you for the free pattern! Such a treat!
    I have your book on preorder and I can’t wait to receive it.

94. I think I have been spending too much time on Ravelry (is that possible?!) I was totally ready to click on the Love button for your book! I have already pre-ordered it!

Thanks for the pattern too! I can’t wait to make it!

Elaines last blog post..Dark Merlot

95. ooooo, I’m so excited too! The book looks awesome – - I simply cannot wait until I get my hands on my copy! I’ve pre-ordered with Amazon.

96. The book looks wonderful! I can’t wait until April 14th!

Ellens last blog post..Waiting for some warm weather…

97. Thanks for the beautiful sock pattern.

I’m hopefully starting “Hearts for Heidi” this weekend, wish me luck. I ordered it a while back from the Loopy Ewe but it took me a while to find the “perfect” yarn.

Can’t wait for the book to come out, it looks wonderful.

Cathy Rs last blog post..Wednesday morning

98. Congratulations on the book, Wendy. It looks wonderful. I can’t wait for it to come out. :)

Rosanes last blog post..Happy New Year!!!

99. Congratulations!!! Lots of hard work that you finally get to hold in your hands.

Drinks all around!

Terris last blog post..oops

100. I am so excited about your sock book, I have a ticker on my blog counting down to the publish date!
    ;)
    I hope THE STORE “gets it.” Really gets it. Not like the bankers “get it.”
    You know?
    (((Hugs)))

Knitnanas last blog post..It’s Only WEDNESDAY?