1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

Since a number of you asked, I asked Potter Craft about the possibility of showing y’all a preview of Socks From the Toe Up here on my blog.

There will be a preview of the book on the Potter Craft website a week or so before the publication date (April 14), but in the meantime, they kindly sent me a few of the photos from the book to share with you.

Diamond Gansey

diamond031109 180x240 We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

These socks knit from Louet Gems fingering weight in the “Aqua” colorway.

Sheri’s Posies

posies031109 180x240 We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

These socks are named for my favorite purveyor of yarn and knit in Fleece Artist Basic Merino 2/6 Sock in the “Teal” colorway.

Serpentine Socks

serpentine031109 180x240 We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

And these sportweight socks are  knit from Fiesta Boomerang in the “Painted Desert” colorway.

And that’s not all! Potter Craft sent me a pdf to make available as a free download the pattern for one of the easier patterns:

Diagonal Lace Socks

diagonallacesock030509 186x240 We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

Here’s the pattern in pdf format: Diagonal Lace Socks. Enjoy!

Lucy Sez:

lucy031109 240x171 We Interrupt This Blog for a Sneak Preview! And a Free Pattern!

Look at my socks!

Comments

1. Can’t wait for the book to come out!! The patterns look wonderfull

adas last blog post..Random Wednesday

2. Thank you for a preview of your new book, what pretty patterns! I love the variety of yarns you use for your socks. Thank you also for the pdf of your Diagonal Lace socks.

Roseanns last blog post..Ostara Sock

3. Thank you Wendy :-) Can’t wait to see the rest of the book!!!!

Karens last blog post..

4. Elizabeth says:

Those are simply lovely teasers!! I have yet to learn toe up socks (reading directions for the cast on intimidates me totally). Will this book explain it well for me? I really do want to learn toe up… And is it easy to do with double-pointed needles? they are my weapons of choice… In any case, I will be trotting out next month to my LYS to get a copy of your lovely book. and thanks for the pdf!!

5. Thank you for the free pattern! The teaser photos for the book are very tempting, even to this diehard cuff down knitter.

6. Thanks for the preview – I can’t wait to get the book!

7. Thanks to both you and your publisher for sharing one of your patterns with us and giving us a sneak peak to tide us over until April when your book gets to us.

8. Gosh, Wendy! Let me wipe the drool off my face…the pics are gorgeous!!!!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on the book which is preordered from Amazon. THANKS for the pattern. You’re the best!

9. Ah, Lucy is finally out of the bag. Lovely patterns, Wendy. Guess that I had better get to the pre-order people… :o)

10. Hey Wendy,
    Thanks for the preview – I am *very* excited to get your new book in the mail, April 14th can’t come soon enough!

Olivias last blog post..Knitting Progress

11. Fun! Thanks for the pattern Wendy! Now to decide which sock yarn to use…

12. Wendy, Thank you for the sneak peek to your upcoming book. I can’t wait to get it. Thank you for the free sock pattern.

13. Thanks for the sneak peek and for the pdf! Can’t wait to finish my current WIP so I can give them a try! Looking forward to the arrival of your book!

Janices last blog post..sunday walking

14. Exciting and thanks for the peek and the pattern!

15. Thanks for the sneak peek! Congrats on the book! :)

Zondas last blog post..This is not…

16. patricia says:

Thank you for the pattern and the sneak peak! Can’t wait for the book.

And look at Lucy the centerfold!

17. Hey Wendy, thanks!

18. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I have JUST finished my very first sock ever (I have to re-do the toe, though!), and once I finish up this pair, I want to try the evasive “toe up” method… your book looks great!

iHeartBobRosss last blog post..3.7.09 Oh no 2 blogs in one week

19. Thanks for the preview and the free sock pattern. So pretty!

AmyRs last blog post..Fearless Knitting and Crocheting

20. Oh, Wendy! You have some wonderful stitch patterns there. Score! Thanks for the free pattern. :-)

Lauras last blog post..Nupps are easier in lace weight

21. Thank you very much for the taster pages, the patterns look lovely. Also, thank you and your publishers for the free sock pattern. Really appreciated.

KnitCaves last blog post..Weirdness, Cholera and Bellowhead

22. Barbara McCall says:

Thank you for the beautiful pattern. My new Grafton Fibers needles arrived today, just in time to start these socks. Perfect timing.

23. Thanks Wendy! I’ve had your book preordered for a while now! I can’t wait!!

Liz Rs last blog post..FINALLY

24. linda-kay says:

Thanks Wendy! I can see some Serpentine socks in my future, and I see the pdf for the Diagonal Lace socks just finished downloading so I think I’ll go check them out. Gizmo sends his love to Lucy!

25. Thanks to you and Potter Craft for the PDF and the luscious teasing photos! I sent you an email earlier about an on-line review of the book – I saw after that they consider the I Heart Toe Up Socks to be the best pattern in the book.

Please tell Miss Lucy that her socks are beautiful even if her momma didn’t make them :)

26. Sherilan says:

I love the gansey socks. Might as well get some yarn for them on my next Loopy order so I am prepared. Thanks for the preview.

27. They are just gorgeous!!! I can’t wait for the book to be released (even more excited after seeing these photos, too!!)

Anastasias last blog post..Whew! P2 DONE :)

28. The pictures are just stunning of course how could they be anything but with such gorgeous patterns. Thanks for the pattern.

Hollys last blog post..Finally Finished

29. They sound like a great publisher to work with Wendy! And hey, what better way for them to help book sales than to help you get the word out? It looks like the book will be everything I’ve hoped for – can’t wait for it to arrive in my LYS!

30. anne marie in philly says:

steven and meredith say: “cousin lucy, your socks NEVER fall down! meow!” :-)

31. Gorgeous socks–both yours and Lucy’s! Sally

32. Ann Rose says:

Yes, Miss Lucy, you have the very best socks on your dainty wee feet. I’m sure your Momma has been working hard all these years designing her knitted socks in an effort to get close to replicating that perfection which you come by naturally.

33. Lovely – and thank you to all involved for the pdf

CatiePs last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: African Violets

34. Patricia says:

WOW! can’t wait. Glad I ordered early.

35. Thanks for the pattern. Interesting model shot – that pose looks painful.

36. Thanks for the peek! You must be very excited; we are excited for you!

pdxknitteratis last blog post..Let’s Duet

37. Thanks for the beautiful pattern Wendy! They are all just gorgeous. I can’t wait for the book.

Shirleys last blog post..Snow – Southern Style

38. Lynne E. says:

Thanks for the preview, Wendy! I knew that I couldn’t go wrong by pre-ordering the book from Amazon. A treat is in store for us, after taxes.

39. Those are lovely! Can’t wait to see the book.

Sunidesuss last blog post..My Generic Sock Pattern

40. Oh, very nice! There’s nothing like an easy lace sock pattern. Uh, I guess I’ll have to learn to knit toe up, though. It’s a good reason to try toe-up, for sure. Thanks SO much for the pattern. The book looks like it’ll be really good, too. Lovely pix of the sox.

41. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Thanks so much for the photos and the pdf! I can’t wait for the book; I’ve had one preordered for ages.

Lucy’s socks are beautiful, too.

42. Oh wow! Huge thanks to you and to Potter Craft. I am loving the patterns, especially Sheri’s Posies. The book is going straight onto my wishlist.

43. Oh my gosh — oh my gosh — oh my gosh! How beautiful they all look! And a free pattern. Thank you so much Wendy!

44. YAY! Thanks Wendy & Potter Craft! (adding to my desktop pattern folder right now!) …and thanks for the previews – all the socks are GORGEOUS – can’t wait!

PS: Halloween sends kitty kisses to Lucy.

Cindy Ks last blog post..Saturday Spinning at Denise Needles HQ

45. Thank you!
    My husband pre-ordered your book for me as a birthday gift since the release date is so close to my birthday!

Jamies last blog post..Some people (giving them the benefit of the doubt)

46. Kathleen says:

I pre-ordered the book back in January and can’t wait to get it. You’re an angel for sharing the pictures. I’m more excited now to receive the book.

47. technikat says:

Thank you! Those are some nice looking socks!

48. Many thanks for both the sneak peak and the lovely pattern. N

49. Thank you, Wendy, for the preview and the freebie! And congratulations!

Loribirds last blog post..Come one, come all…

50. Thanks Wendy for the preview and sharing the pattern. I’ll have my copy with me at Spring Fling and want you and our favorite purveyor of yarn to sign it. Pretty Please! Looking forward to seeing you in April!

51. Kate/Massachusetts says:

Wow! Those socks are gorgeous! I can’t wait for your book to be published. I was giggling as I was scrolling through the pictures…I’ve been a reader of this blog long enough to remember you adamantly saying you-did-not-knit-socks, end-of-story, don’t-try-to-convince-me-otherwise. Remember those days? Now, you are a published Sock Goddess! Whodathunk? I’m so thrilled for you!

52. Thank you for the gorgeous sock pattern–can’t wait for the book!

53. Drool! I can’t wait for the book to come out. Thanks for the PDF too!!!

54. Margie from Maryland says:

Thanks, Wendy and Potter Craft!

55. I can’t wait for this book! I took a toe-up sock class just ‘cos I wanted to be ready.

Sarah Rs last blog post..I Really Should Get Out My Camera…

56. Thank you!!

toni in floridas last blog post..I have two new babies!

57. I can’t wait for the book… I really like the Serpentine Socks, so pretty… and how nice of them for the free download..

58. Thank you, Wendy, for the pattern-have the book preordered on Amazon!

Cindys last blog post..A Team Sock

59. Another one here who has it preordered. And I have that exact yarn for the diagonal lace socks. I love having someone to copy!

60. Great looking socks, but that’s one heck of a pose the model has struck! Was she a contortionist? LOL

Thanks for the pattern :-D

61. Thanks so much! I can’t wait for your book after seeing this! :)

62. Thanks Wendy! Can’t wait for the book!!

63. Well of course my favorite pattern is Sheri’s Posies! (You are an amazing designer. You come up with more wonderful sock patterns than anyone I know, and they just keep coming.) I can’t wait to get the book!

Sheri at The Loopys last blog post..Cold, Hot, Cold, Hot, Repeat

64. OHH those socks are all so pretty! the book comes out just in time for my b-day and it will be on my list!!!! Yay!

Thanks for the pattern!

Michelles last blog post..Yarny goodness

65. Pretties! Thanks for the pattern.

Chriss last blog post..DisMayed

66. They’re all beautiful! And thank you (and Potter Craft) for sharing a pattern!

jannas last blog post..Yum!

67. Oh cool. Beautiful socks, love the free pattern and can’t wait until the book comes out.

68. you know how I feel – weeeeeee!

Aimees last blog post..wow

69. I’m looking forward to your book! And will print out the pattern.

70. Thank you so much for the pattern! It’s beautiful. I’ve only knit about 5 pairs of socks but thanks to you, they’ve all been toe-up (which helped ease some of the I-can’t-possibly-knit-a-sock-what-am-I-thinking anxiety). I’m really looking forward to your book. I’ll put it on the shelf next to your patterns!

71. I still have that book on my wish list, thinking maybe I’ll finally get to learn toe up socks. that would be so great

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Tuesday- It’s Pathetic and I Say it Ends NOW

72. Thanks for the pattern! I’ve had the book pre-ordered at Amazon for months and am looking forward to its arrival! I’m also signed up for the SWAK Knit Out in Guthrie OK in May and your classes there – I’m so excited about this! If I bring your books, will you sign them? Wishing we could meet Lucy too but realize that she would probably prefer not to travel….

73. Oh I love the “teasers” from the book and the free pattern also Can’t wait for the book. Lucy looks thrillled over the whole thing!! Cats are like that!

74. The preview is awesome! I already have the book on preorder but now I’m unbearably excited! (Gee, thanks….)

Well, really, thanks to you and the publisher for the free pattern, that’s super!

Cathy-Cates last blog post..Gothlet Gauntlets

75. OMG, pretty pretty. Can’t wait to get a copy of your book. Diamond Gansey and Diagonal Lace look amazing.

Jocelyns last blog post..One more thing …

76. Cynthia A says:

Those are so beautiful, I can’t wait to see your book. Thank you, thank you, (& Potter Craft) for providing a free pattern as well, very kind. :)

77. It is not I have any doubts about buying your new book, I enjoy so much your first, but now I am defintly convinced: I need it!

Ptinutzs last blog post..Petite réflexion sur la mayonnaise

78. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of your new book – every sock looks eminently knittable. Thank you for the free pattern – I can see myself casting on very soon. Mind you, the model looks far from comfortable – is there a story associated with her contortions?

79. Beautiful sox. Can’t wait for the book and the signing at Knit Happens!

80. Thank you for the preview. I had already gotten on the LYS list for it, and you just proved me right. Hmmn….might have to wander over to the domain of a red socked sheep and order yarn.

Elysbeths last blog post..First on the March

81. Bonnie H. says:

Lovely, just lovely! I can’t wait to receive mine. Looks like I’ll be purchasing some solid or semi-solid yarns. Like I needed a reason!

82. Beautiful! Thanks!

Kirsties last blog post..Branches on my Living Room Wall

83. Thank you, Potter Craft and Wendy. You certainly know how to make knitters drool!

84. I seriously can not wait for this book to come out. It looks great, Wendy!! : )

85. Danielle from SW MO says:

Cant wait! Am gonna pre-order it from Amazon.com as well as order your first book too! The pics are Lovely and I cant wait to knit the freebie pattern which looks Lovely!

86. Delurking to say Congrats! on the book, Wendy! The patterns in the preview look great – best wishes for a huge success!! :)

Annes last blog post..Some Random Shop Tidbits

87. newjerseylaura says:

Beautiful book images! Can’t wait. I hope you can bask in the glory :) And thank you for the pattern!

88. Congrats, Wendy! The book looks fab! I just printed the Diagonal Lace Socks pattern. Would someone please give that young woman a sandwich…and a sweater! :>

89. Can’t wait to get the book, open and get that new book smell! Ahhh.
    Lucy has lovely knee socks.

miss sandras last blog post..That’s Just Cruel

90. MD Smith says:

Hi Wendy,

Will you be a featured author at the Potter Craft/Random House booth at Book Expo?

91. Awesome!!!!

92. Belinda Giliberti says:

Thanks so much. I can’t wait to get your book. I only like knitting socks from the toe up and adapt all patterns for your toe up with a difference heel. The only thing is that each yarn I use gives me a different gauge so I am constantly adding or subtracting the numbers so I know how deep to make my heel. My question is: once you have increased the heel (let’s say for example 52 stitches) and you are ready to turn the heel, how do you know how many stitches over to go on your first and second row (the wraps) so that you have an equal number of wraps for when you are ready to start picking up the wraps and decreasing? Is it a percentage? I have been just carrying around the toe up with a difference sock recipe and taking stitches away from each step. However, I would love to know if there is a formula for figuring it out? Will that be in the book?? :-)

93. Babyface says:

The book looks great. Thanks for the free pattern although I still
    haven’t learned how to do the toe up version of socks, I have several
    of your patterns.

94. Thank you so much for the free pattern! And the preview, too – the book’s been on my wishlist at Amazon since I first heard about it. I’ll preorder there unless there’s another way to get it that will benefit you more? Hmm?

95. Oh my goodness! Thank you (& Potter Craft) for sharing these photos and the free pattern! They’re SO lovely. I’ve had the book on pre-order for what seems like forever, so now that the release date is finally getting close, I’m REALLY excited!!

Mandis last blog post..Knitty, Berets, and Gardening

96. Ooh, they all look gorgeous! (And thanks to Potter Craft, too, for sharing :) )

Jocelyns last blog post..A fitting end

97. They look great! I wish my feet looked so delicate ;)

LittleWits last blog post..Busy Busy Busy

98. Thank you for the pattern. You are always generous!. I can’t wait for the book – Helene

99. Thank you! The pictures look great. I have already preordered my copy. Can’t wait.

100. You are so talented and generous. Thank you, I want to cast on today.

Trackbacks

1. [...] of her upcoming book Socks From the Toe Up and included a free pdf of one of the easier patterns – Diagonal Lace Socks (scroll down) and I knew that it was meant to be. I am almost done with the toe and cannot wait to [...]

2. [...] Visit her blog to see four sample photos of patterns in the book, including the one I re-posted here, Diamond Gansey socks.  (I need to knit these!)  Also, she’s posted a PDF of one of the book’s patterns for a free download!  (Thanks, Wendy & Potter Craft!!) [...]

3. [...] have managed to get through the first repeat of the Diagonal Lace Socks (scroll down) from my previous post and am loving the pattern – it is so easy to memorize, but yet [...]