1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

About Those Kneesocks . . .

Hey, thanks for all your kind comments about my upcoming book. I’m very pleased with it and I hope you will be too.

Just so you know, the book includes a techniques section with step-by-step illustrated instructions for all the techniques you need to know to knit toe-up socks. You can knit these socks on dpns, 2 circulars, or magic loop. There is a total of 23 patterns — some plain sock templates, easy, intermediate, and advanced lace, textured gansey socks, cables socks, and some sportweight socks. So that’s it. In a nutshell.

I can tell you right now, I’ll be doing a book signing at Knit Happens in Alexandria, VA on Saturday April 18, beginning at 2pm. It’ll be an informal event, and I’ll have the actual socks from the book for you to take a look at. I hope to see as many of you there as possible. Bring your socks. icon biggrin About Those Kneesocks . . .

As far as other appearances goes, it’s a work in progress. I’ll be teaching at The Loopy Ewe Spring Fling in St. Louis, MO the following weekend and will be teaching at the SWAK Knit Out in Guthrie, OK in mid-May.

And I just confirmed last night that I’ll be in Charlotte, NC to hang out and sign books and teach at Charlotte Yarn the first weekend in June. More details about that will be forthcoming as the plans are developed.

I’ve got a few more teaching trips to plan, so I’ll keep you posted. Because I have this pesky day job, travel will be spread out over the next few months — I can’t be away every weekend and still manage to work during the week because I am old and tired. And because Lucy needs her momma.

About those kneesocks . . .

A whole bunch of you showed interest in a pattern/tutorial for kneesocks that fit, so count on that becoming a reality, all in the fullness of time. I’ve got some other things I need to take care of before I can get that written up.

And of course I started a new bloggable project too.

shawl031209 240x160 About Those Kneesocks . . .

This is Susan Lawrence’s lovely Fountain Pen Shawl from the latest issue of Interweave Knits. I’m using the pretty green laceweight I blogged about last week, and went down 2 needle sizes from the suggested size to a U.S. 4.

In other news, I won the lottery. See?

lottery031209 240x160 About Those Kneesocks . . .

And Lucy is in lap-kitty mode.

lucy031209 240x160 About Those Kneesocks . . .

Comments

1. You’re hardly “old.” :-) I wish I could make it to some of your other book signings/events, but I’ll see you at the Fling. Bring the socks!

Tammy/DarthKnitters last blog post..One Hour

2. Wow does that make Lucy a hairess…? There are days I wish I lived anywhere but here…we barely have a bookstore much less signings…8(

3. Hey Wendy, what about Sock Summit? I was really surprised that you were not on the list of instructors and I hope that was just because you were unable to attend rather than you weren’t asked. Yours was a name I really expected to see.

I’m glad to hear about the instruction section because I have sort of avoided toe-up socks and once I heard about your book, I decided that I would probably be able to count on you for impeccable directions and once I had the book in hand, I would finally venture forth from cuff-down only territory :-)

Is the green yarn for the shawl in honor of St. Patrick’s Day?

4. Are you sure they didn’t misplace the decimal in that check????

5. Congratulations on your “wind fall”. You realize, of course, that that means Lucy gets more treats. She looks so soft. Such a beautiful cat.

Candis last blog post..Moving right along

6. Belated thanks for your generosity in providing one of the patterns from your book. I’m seriously keen on the Diamond Gansey socks, and really looking forward to the technical section. Thanks again for writing this book.

7. Hey, a win is a win is a win!

Congrats and I can’t wait!

Cheers!
    ~Shelly~

shellys last blog post..~~Contest Time~~

8. Awesome sneak peek and pattern. Thanks so much for both. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy! Enjoy your winnings. Keep the losing tickets to offset your big wins on your taxes!

9. So you are making a shawl on #2 needles?! Wow, it is an amazing thought………..Love the green mood you are in!

Cindys last blog post..A Team Sock

10. Woo hoo! You’re coming to Charlotte! I can’t wait to meet you!

turtlegirl76s last blog post..Circles in Squares

11. How about a book signing in the Bay Area, it’s home to many lovely yarn stores. Do we beg our friends at the store to contact your publisher? how are these things arranged?

12. Oh!!! You are coming to my neck of the woods! I better get my hairs did =)

Megan S.s last blog post..Warning: Very Little Content

13. After reading last nights post, I really want your book more then ever. It was so nice to see a preview. Thanks so much for PDF, you are so generous. Wish you were comming to N. E. area. Would love to have a signed copy of your book. Have a wonderful weekend.

14. GAH! I want to go see your booksigning! <3 I will do my best to try to make it down that weekend!
    Lucy! How can you stand being so cute! It must be hard work.

PMOYSs last blog post..Finish-it-up-itus and the Moleskine Pt. 2

15. travelita says:

Looking forward to knitting from your newly published sock book…congratulations! I experiment with patterns via sock legs hence all my socks are taller than necessary just because it’s so enjoyable. Kneesocks? Bring ‘em on!

16. I can hardly wait for your new book! Now I also have knee socks to look forward to…sweet!

17. I am excited for the book to get here, I did my pre-order already.

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Thursday- OH Darn It!!!!!

18. Gansey socks. Yea!

19. Theresa in Italy says:

Another belated thank you (no one is ever on time over here, you know) and am looking forward to the kneesocks pattern/tutorial, whenever you find time to write it up. I’m amazed you find time at all, what with the pesky day job. I knew the book was going to be good, but now that you’ve shown us some of the socks I really can’t wait for it to come out! What a lovely photo of Miss Lucy.

20. You are SO funny. Old and tired :-) Can’t wait to buy your book!

21. I look forward to your new book, still busy with my first pair of toe-up-sock.
    Don’t blow all your winnings at once! Share them with Lucy ;)

Karins last blog post..Fontaine

22. Hey Wendy, I just wanted to say I’m making your Brick socks that were in Knit 1 and I love the pattern. It’s turning out great. In fact I’m making them into kneesocks using your tips on your site. Lovin’ your work! Can’t wait to get your book.

Melissas last blog post..Putting the Plants Outside

23. I am very jealous of your new found wealth! I ordered your book this week and can’t wait for it to arrive. This is your second book and I still don’t have your signature:-(

24. Woo, hoo! That’s more than I’ve won from the “voluntary tax” er, the lottery!

Hissy Stitchs last blog post..Teeny Preemie Hats

25. Any chance you’ll be doing a book tour? ‘Cause you should come to Nashville… :)

26. I finally started my first toe-up sock yesterday! Gotta get ready for the new Wendy book!!! I’m using your slip-stitch heel pattern. Thanks for all you do. You make my yarn life so much more enjoyable!! :)

Danieles last blog post..373 yards

27. Best of wishes to you, as well as congratulations, on the new book. I love the sock photography your publisher does, very pretty.

That lottery win looks like a good omen … may you flourish in many and surprising ways over the coming days.

Warm wishes,
    firefly

28. Joan Broersma says:

I look froward to your book, and hope I can adapt most of them to cuff down socks. Any clues for finding the number of stitches to Cast On?
    Thanks for your inspiration!

29. Michele In Maine says:

I was actually at Knit Happens two weekends ago while visiting my sister. Nice place!

Thanks for the knee sock pattern – can’t wait for the rest of them.

Don’t spend all your winnings in one place!

30. if your old , we’re all in trouble! Wow, your schedule is nicely filling up, what fun that will be for you. Hey, a real life lottery winner!

turtles last blog post..Spring??? a quick pimp

31. Man, Wendy! I am so jealous I can hardly stand it!!!! You’ll be in Guthrie, OK and I will be a mere 3 hours away in Dallas wishing I could be there, too. Gosh, darn! I would love to come to SWAK’s Knit Out, but something tells me my precocious 2-year-old (who is trying to knit already) would NOT be the hit of the party. And while her grandparents dearly love her, she isn’t old enough to stay overnight and since grandma doesn’t knit, I know I can’t twist her arm to come with us and be the nanny! You’ll have to channel your kniting mojo over Texas while you are in OK. : )

32. Congrats on the Big Win! But I think that with yesterday’s free Diagonal Lace Socks, I did better! Thanks again for posting it.

Petunias last blog post..Lolly says, “Go NORTH, young knitter”

33. The kneesocks are beautiful, but I’m not sure I have quite that much fortitude . . . especially in a climate where I rarely wear socks at all. I suppose I could make a pair and just admire them from time to time . . .

Pooleknitters last blog post..Thursday, March 12, 2009

34. Wow! All the yarn you want for $5. lol

35. I preordered your book months ago and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. At one point I thought April would never come. While waiting, I’ve mastered cuff-down socks and am ready to learn toe-up techniques from you.

The knee socks are truly lovely. Me, I have too much calf and too little patience.

36. Gretcheng says:

Wendy, thanks as always for such a wonderful blog. I am eagerly awaiting your book, and I may even be tempted to try some kneesocks with your expert instructions…
    A note to Joan Broersma: come on, girl–try a toe-up! Once I tried ‘em I’d never go back to cuff-down. But, any socks are better than no socks! :-) –Gretcheng

37. Well those winnings ought to buy a partial skein of something!

38. Thanks for the sneak peak, Wendy. The designs are beautiful! I’m looking forward to seeing the finished book. Congratulations!

39. Count me in as another large-calved knitter who would love to know how to make custom-fit knee socks. I’m tired of getting all pouty every time a pattern says it will fit up to (insert some large number here)-inch calf circumference, and that still is too small!

40. patricia says:

Wow! Major web page redesign!

looks nice!

41. VWgrrlknits says:

SWEET! Sometimes the stars align!

I will be at your Knit Happens signing–fortuitously, I already have to be in Alexandria for a conference ending the 18th at noon, or I wouldn’t be able to go.

I think I’ll go buy my own lottery ticket now…

42. ceciliadav says:

I am behind in reading blogs and I really like the “new you and Lucy.” cecilia

43. Darn! I wil be out of town the weekend you’re in Charlotte… of course I’ll be in Europe so not complaining, but still!

44. YEAH You are rolling in dough, think of all the yarn you can buy with that money ;-) OMG I cannot wait for your book signings. At first I thought I would hit the VA one but then I read on and see you will be in Charlotte. OMG I am so excited to finally meet you after all these years.

Hugs!!!!