1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

April is the Cruelest Month

I saw snow flurries on my way to work this morning.  What’s up with that??

After I got to the office, I saw that the sky was looking pretty dramatic.

apr082009 240x180 April is the Cruelest Month

Cool, huh?

I started a sock with my lovely Tempted Good Grrl yarn in the “Lucky Lucy” colorway.

sip040809 240x160 April is the Cruelest Month

I need a good name for it — anyone have any ideas?

teddy040809 160x240 April is the Cruelest Month

I also started a new stealth project, and I’m in the middle of putting together a big pattern order for The Loopy Ewe, so progress may be slow on my bloggable project. Just so you know. icon wink April is the Cruelest Month

In the comments to yesterday’s post, Cindy asked:

Do you ever get ‘designer block’?

I do, from time to time. But I have a pool of potential designs to fall back on when this happens.

When I get inspiration, it usually comes by the bucketful (and usually at 1:00 a.m.), so I chart up a bunch of potential designs while my Muse is with me. Then when I’m feeling uninspired but want to start a new design, I sift through the Potentials to see if there is something that jumps out at me. Currently there are 107 potential designs in my Pending file. Not all of them are viable, of course — possibly only 50 – 60% will ever come to fruition. But I think those are pretty good odds.

Sometimes I see a skein of yarn and get a good idea of what I want it to become, though. That was true of the yarn I’m using now. I wanted columns of a dainty lace pattern that was sort of Spring-like (even though there were freaking snow flurries this morning).

Attention All Spring Flingers

Are you going to The Loopy Ewe Spring Fling later this month? Just a heads up that Sheri will not be selling my book (or Cookie A’s book) at the Fling. She made this decision partly because The Loopy Ewe does not sell books as a rule, and partly because it seems like most of the Flingers have pre-ordered anyway.

(Sheri is going to or has already posted this info on the Spring Fling board on Ravelry.)

So if you want a copy of Socks From the Toe Up and would like me to sign it, please purchase it beforehand and bring it to the Fling. I’ll be happy to sign it there.

Meanwhile, Lucy is just hanging around . . .

lucy040809 240x160 April is the Cruelest Month

Comments

1. Gretchen says:

What beautiful socks. The pattern made me think of spruce trees. And you could also say you “spruced up” your feet.

2. I love the pattern…how about filagree..

3. deknits says:

I should get my preordered copy in time to bring it for the Fling (in two weeks!). Love the new sock – to me it looks kind of like a prairie point border on a quilt.

4. how about “In the Pines” because it also reminds me of trees ;)

Tinas last blog post..April Socks

5. MaryMac says:

If the colorway is Lucky Lucy, how can it be anything other than catnip?

6. Springtime Tulips (rightside up)? Very nice!

Kates last blog post..First Grass and Noble’s Nose

7. Linda from Kansas says:

Or just Lucky Lucy? It is a very pretty sock (almost a pretty as Lucy)
    :-)

8. My copy is pre-ordered! Now I just have to hope I can cram it in my luggage.

Sams last blog post..Delighted Dyer

9. It IS the cruelest month, because I had my heart set on making it into Spring Fling this year, but I didn’t. My daughter lives in STL, so it would have been perfect combination. And now I have to come to STL anyway to pick up my elderly kitty that has been staying with my daughter (long story…breaking my heart) and I’ll be in St Louis while Spring Fling is going on. So near and yet so far. :-(

claires last blog post..View on the job today.

10. Ah your kitty is so cute.

11. patricia says:

I like the sock- the pattern reminds me of trees, too. how about conifer?

Lucy looks ready to nod off- right off the chair!

12. I love the color and pattern. “Spring Flurries” jumped into my mind, but mostly because of the weather, not so much the sock itself. Maybe the name would work for some other sock, though. Potential names file

Sandra Ds last blog post..Spinning for Socks!

13. anne marie in philly says:

snow flurries happened here today also. but BASEBALL is back! YAYZ!

seems some of us are in a like mindset – evergreen trees.

14. Hmmm how about Green Sprouts? Hugs!!!

Cats last blog post..Crazy Week

15. technikat says:

I think it looks like spruce trees so I’d go with “Spruce”.

16. Evergreen would be a good name for this pattern.

17. I’m with the tree people – I’m surrounded by cedars, so that was my choice, but pines, spruce, evergreen, whatever!! Love them!

18. I think you’re an inspiration! I’m hoping my pre-ordered book comes in before the Fling (or I’ll have to buy another one locally).

How about Lucky Charm socks (because Lucy is oh, so very charming?)

19. Ruth Nobel says:

I love the pattern so far and it reminds me of little ballerinas. May be the name should be Lucy En Pointe.

20. My first thought was Diamonds in the Rough. Maybe Emerald Isles in honour of Lucy’s green eyes on St. Paddy’s Day? Boy, Isles doesn’t look right. Feel free to correct.

21. “spring pines” cause the new growth on pine trees is much more pale then the year old growth. plus, you know, spring time but pine trees will always remind me of winter

22. I cannot wait to meet you at the Fling. I am very much looking forward to taking your toes and heels class.

As soon as I saw the sock I started singing “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”.

We had the flurries here on Monday, for a bit it looked like a blizzard. Weird.

23. How about April Dreams for the sock name. It snowed here yesterday too and I am in Atlanta, Ga.! To day it was 60 degrees and tomorrow it will be around 71. Who knows???????????

24. I like the ideas about pine trees or other conifirs. But my first thought was about kites. I love kites in the spring. Somehow they go together. We had more than flurries here in Ohio. My yard was white! Good thing it didn’t last.

25. Here in Connecticut we’ve got the flurries, too. I love seeing them with spring flowers already up and blooming a bit.
    The new sock also reminded me of evergreen trees. I like Spruce-Up, for the color (if my monitor is giving me the true hue), the shape of the design and the idea of spring time finding us busy ‘sprucing up’ our yards and spring cleaning our homes.
    Lucy appears to be pondering something very important!

26. Melanie says:

Hi Wendy,

Lucy looks so beautiful today. I am suggesting April Springs for the sock name.

Melanie

27. How about ‘Teddy’s Choice’?

28. i don’t know why the first thing that came to mind was hotshot; however that could be the migraine talking.

29. Count me in with the evergreen crowd. How about ‘Spruce Lane’?

30. How about “Pigeon Toed”. It reminds me of the tracks that birds make when they’re scooting along the ground.

turtlegirl76s last blog post..Sock Season Begins

31. Ruth Nobel says:

Another name came to mind Pirouette.

32. April’s birthstone is the diamond. What about “Diamond Girl”? Like the Seals & Crofts song.

I have my books on order and will have them in my hot little hands for you and Cookie A to sign at Fling – Only 2 weeks! I’m so excited!

33. Hi Wendy,

I actually thought “Diamond Girl” also, so I’m with Lori, Erica and Sue!

Or maybe “Diamond Lucy” or “Diamond Toes?”

34. Thanks for the insight into your creativity. These socks are definitely another hit!
    The lace in the socks looks like lines of entredeux used in heirloom sewing-very pretty.

Cindys last blog post..Finishing Up the Prep Work

35. That’s a beautiful colorway! When I first saw it, I saw arrows, so how about “Straight Arrow”?

36. How about snow blossoms to celebrate the late snow fall?

37. Beautiful sock. Not nearly as beautiful as Lucy though. There are a whole lot of suggestions for the pines, how about Sprucey Lucy?

38. Since the yarn color was inspired by St Paddy’s pix, you could call the socks Paddy Paws Socks.

Timmie Bs last blog post..ENOUGH ALREADY!

39. I like the trees concepts. But I for some reason the pattern also reminds me of pole beans….or since it’s kind of a masculine lace pattern “hops” You know, like for making beer.

40. Since you wanted dainty lace that looking Springy, how about Dainty Spring? Although I really like another suggestion – Catnip. Too cute!

41. I, like the other “tree” people immediately saw pines. I got a kick out of the suggestion, “Sprucey Lucy”

42. The patterning on the sock makes me think of bamboo but I can’t seem to come up with something witty involving bamboo and luck.

LittleWits last blog post..BYOB Knit Night

43. How about Arrowhead? Or Rainforest? Pretty color.

Lisas last blog post..Just a Bed Quilt

44. The socks remind me of a flock of birds in flight – maybe “Spring Migration”?

I really like the earlier suggesetion of “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” too though!

45. I think they look like arrows, so I think you should call them “Going My Way.” Of course, if you don’t like Bing Crosby, it might not be a great choice.

sprites last blog post..we are the champions!

46. Vines of Spring; Spring Ivy

Beckys last blog post..Happy New Year – Year 4

47. How about “snowflakes” even though your color choice is green. We hardly ever get snow in our part of the country.

48. Terry in Illinois says:

I think I would call that pattern “Pining Away for Socks.”

49. Paula in Iowa says:

Right across the page from the sock is a label called Links and Rings. That’s what the pattern looks like to me. It’s pretty whatever its name

50. Ideas for name:
    Seychelles Peaks
    Lucy’s Tiara
    Aqua Crystals.

Annas last blog post..She could drink, legally.

51. OK, I’m weird. I looked at the pic and saw Crab Parade. Told you I was weird.

52. Looking at the sock from the top down as the picture has it, the design aooears to be Leaves and Stems. Waht a nice Spring name!

Wanda

53. I like the idea of a potential file for designs. I have one for writing, but my design ideas in no way resemble something as organized as a file. Must remedy that.
    The yarn you’re using for your new socks is gorgeous.

Idas last blog post..Visit the Knit-a-While Amazon Store

54. Lucy’s Laces

55. cecilia says:

How about Spring leaves emerging. cecilia

56. That sock made me think of evergreen trees pointing down (both the color and design). Evergreens are fun and green all year long!

57. Melanie says:

Green forest… it looks like pine tree :)

58. Delurking to suggest “Poison Darts” as a sock name. They look very pretty.

59. I am going to second the “Sprucey Lucy” that someone posted

60. Barb Edison says:

That pattern looks like little pine trees to me. I think “Tiny Pines” would be a good name for those gems!

61. Like so many others, I see trees. Since I’m from Maine, I vote for “Pointed Firs” in honor of Sarah Orne Jewett.

62. Yup, I see evergreens, too. (I’m in the Pacific NW) How about Juniper?

63. The pattern reminds me of sprigs of rosemary.

64. Call me unoriginal, but I like “Spring Fling” – they look very spring-y.

Ida Marovichs last blog post..Monday, Gorgeous Monday

65. Dr. Jackie says:

I’ve got to agree with the Sprucey Lucy…

66. I think the name “Alpine” suits them since I’m seeing rows of tall pine trees in the mountains

67. Lucky Lucy yarn-way and square-ish thingys…….

Roll ‘em.

Like dice??

68. Fan of T.S. Elliot, eh?

Julies last blog post..Dry Ice & Bubbles

69. I saw Jack’s Beanstalks, so Jack in the Beanstalk maybe?

Candis last blog post..A Weather Reversal

70. April Flowers?

Elysbeths last blog post..Just for fun

71. oohh as soon as I saw those socks I thought Pine Spines… Always love your sock designs and love reading your blog.

jivas last blog post..writers block

72. I completely agree with the “evergreen” theme that others have mentioned. “Pining for Spring” perhaps?

73. Sock name: The Forest or the Trees

Thanks for all the instructions and patterns and commentary that makes up your terrific blog – and of course, thank you’s to Lucy for all her editorial support and guidance.

Beth

74. I have a fabby idea! call your socks tall trees….because they’re gonna climb all the way up your leg and go on forever!….oooh, fun fun fun! cool name, and illiteration, yey!

75. When I saw the socks, I thought it looked like the Flying Geese pattern in quilting. So maybe “Migration” or “Spring Migration” or even “Flying Geese”

domestipithecuss last blog post..Corned Beef Hash

76. juliette says:

you just can’t miss with Sprucey Lucy. I’m just sayin’

77. I’m with Marcia and domestipithecus – I see geese. Maybe because they’re my favorite (and one of the first) spring signs – so for me, Spring Geese (or any other geese variant).

78. I think it looks like a little garden with paths, so I would call it something like Paths in My Garden (which is probably a sign that I’ve been thinking about cross-stitch a little too much).

Seanna Leas last blog post..product placement

79. Susan in Staten Island says:

Teal Way to April was my first thought. However, Sprucey Lucy is just too funny!

80. What about April Arrows.

81. April is a diamond month and I’m always naming things with a sock in mind, it seems “Lucy in the Sky?”

Okay, now that I’ve made a silly self out of me for that, I must say that meeting you is one of the best parts of going to the Fling this year. IF you signed my book, I might fall over and not be able to breathe….LOL. Can’t.wait.for.the.fling!

farm-witchs last blog post..Cabin Fever Rescue

82. I think Lucky Lucy is a pretty darned good name, whether for yarn or the socks they become.

kmkats last blog post..Sugar and squares.