1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Publication Day

At long last, it is publication day for Socks From the Toe Up. Considering that the majority of my work on this book was completed over a year ago, it seems like I’ve been waiting forever! I hope those of you who purchase it enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

The very awesome Aimee has already put all the patterns from the book up on Ravelry, so if you are a Raveler, you can start queuing projects by visiting the patterns here.

In other news, I have washed and blocked all the sample socks from the book in preparation for taking them on the road with me to book signings and classes.

socks041409 240x160 Publication Day

I’ll be posting all public appearances as they are scheduled on my Travel and Teaching Schedule page (accessible via the link at the top of this page.) There are a lot more events in the works, and they will be added as soon as they are confirmed and all plans are finalized.

Nothing To Do With Knitting, But Totally Worth Watching

Click this link to go to YouTube (embedding is disabled so you have to go to YouTube) to watch an amazing video of Ms. Susan Boyle’s audition last Saturday for the British television show, Britain’s Got Talent. The video has been watched over 3 million times at the time I’m writing this, so you may have already seen it. If you haven’t, go now! It’s an ootch over 7 minutes long but worth every second. I’ve watched this a number of times over the past three days  — just amazing. If you can watch it all the way through with dry eyes, you’re a stronger person than I. Susan Boyle is my new hero.

Back to real life here, Teddy is modeling:

sip041409 160x240 Publication Day

And Lucy is still enchanted with her fuzzy rat!

lucy041409 240x166 Publication Day

Comments

1. Bernadette says:

lookin good Teddy you too lucy :)

2. Congratulations!

melanies last blog post..Peter Quince at the Clavier – Wallace Stevens

3. My Amazon pre-order says my books (yes, I ordered multiples) won’t be here until the 18th, but I can’t wait. So being the good Junior Stalker that I am, I’ll be heading to my local Borders to pick up the ONLY copy they have (areyoukiddingme?) after work.

Congratulations again, Wendy – I’m honored to know you! :-)

Tammy/DarthKnitters last blog post..Unrealistic

4. Congratulations! I’m buying the book tonight at my LYS!

Karen in Toledos last blog post..Photo Ops

5. Wooohoooo! Congrats! I better get my copy before I leave next week, gotta get mine signed :)

and that’s crazy coincidence, I just saw that video linked on my FB page & told myself I needed to watch it. Hope I can keep most of my mascara on now!

PlazaJens last blog post..Random Orts. Shake ‘Em Like an iPod Nano.

6. I´m going to start my sock-knitting tonight already.
    It was hard picking a pattern, they are all so lovely.
    What a wonderful job you´ve done. Congratulations!

Johannes last blog post..I Surrender!

7. Hooray and congrats to U !!!!!!!!!!!! I got my Vogue Knitting on Friday and it had a WONDERFUL write up on your book. Am soooooooooooo looking forward to getting my copy. Now if only the maestro could put SoCal on her list of book signings…….. luv.m.

8. I received my book from Amazon yesterday and I’m in love! Gorgeous photos, fabulous patterns…really a wonderful book, Wendy. And worth the wait!

And I’ve seen that video twice already and I cried both times.

9. Congratulations on the publication of your book!

10. YAY! Congratulations! Can’t wait to get my copy!

Marys last blog post..The Sound of Spring

11. Congratulations on your Publication Day! I hope Amazon has my copy sitting outside my front door when I get home. :-)

Sheri at The Loopy Ewes last blog post..Rainy Monday Here

12. Your book is on it’s way from Amazon.com as we speak. I’m waiting on pins & needles (no pun intended). That’s an awesome sight with all those socks on your table. No wonder you were flying below the radar for so long. Well worth the wait.

13. My three things for you:
    1. Congrats to your on publishing day – at last!
    2. I love the word “ootch” – headed over to view after I go fetch my tissues.
    3. Halloween loves it when Lucy looks upside down like that!

:))
    CKK

Cindy Ks last blog post..Spinning Pretty

14. Isabelle says:

Congratulations!!! I’ve been looking forward to today for a while and it’s finally here! I’ve placed a copy on hold at my nearest bookstore and will be picking it up later this afternoon. I hope you’re going to celebrate in some way (with chocolate, perhaps?). Scritches to Lucy.

15. Casey needs to develop a fav all and a queue all button :-)

Mazel Tov on an awesome new book!!!!

See yopu next week
    Karen

Karens last blog post..I really did try….

16. I love it I got my Amazon preorder today, Nothing better than getting both you and Cookie A’s books the same day – I’m in drooling socky heaven!

Jenny T.s last blog post..Last post 12 weeks ago

17. Happy pub day, Wendy! I just heard from Amazon that my pre-ordered copy is on its way to me. Can hardly wait.

18. Wow! Thanks for sharing the link on Susan. I’ve been checking Barnes & Noble daily on the book (sometimes they put things out a tad early).

19. My Amazon preorder says it should be here on the 17th. Still, I have a totally irrational urge to run up to Barnes and Noble and buy one anyway. I can’t wait.

I watched that video about 5 times last night but I think I’ll go watch it again now. She is apparently already talking with Simon Cowell’s recording company.

20. How exciting! My copy just shipped yesterday. I can’t wait to get it. :-)

midgelings last blog post..Day 92

21. Congrats on you publication day! Can’t wait to get the book. Thanks for the heads up about the youtube video………not a dry eye here either.

22. Congratulations on the new book! I had mine pre-ordered and I think it’s waiting for me at home. I’m working on my first pair of toe-up socks (knitting two at a time from a KnitPicks sock blank) but I put them aside until I had your wonderful book!

23. Congrats on the book.
    Thanks for the link to the Susan Boyle video. That’s my fav song from Les Mis, and she did it beautifully.

Idas last blog post..Teddys to Toes

24. Congrats!!!

(My sister just showed me that video, it is so awesome!)

25. Congratulations on your book. Great accomplishment.

26. Thanks for the Susan Boyle link – that was amazing. Congratulations on the book publication!

Carols last blog post..Thank you!

27. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I’m so glad your book has hit the shelves – I’m going to look for it tonight if possible. One thing over my years (yes years) of visiting your blog that sticks out most in my memory is your generosity in sharing so much of your knowledge and work with the rest of us in the blogosphere! I am so glad that you are finally actually doing a body of work that (1) gets you recognition and (2) with any luck will get you PAID:)!!!
    Many good wishes for success!
    Joan a/k/a FSK

Joans last blog post..A Relatively Quiet day:)

28. Amazon said mailing the 20th but sent me an email yesterday saying it’s heading my way. Yea! Congratulations! I cannot wait to get my copy.

What!?! Someone who can sing who hasn’t been starved, plucked, waxed, made over, and isn’t gyrating while lip synching? How can this be (yes, I am sarcastic – so sue me). Just raw talent. How refreshing.

29. Congratulations on Publication Day! I’m looking forward to getting my book very soon. I hope your publicist finds you some great signing locations and that your touring isn’t too stressful, but lots of fun.

Yes, the Susan Boyle video is amazing. I think I’ve already watched it about 5 times, every time with a feeling of happiness for her, and a bit of a chill for such a wonderful performance. She said that she’d been singing since she was 12, so it’s long past time that her decades of work are rewarded by a larger audience.

CatBookMoms last blog post..Time to Give

30. Oh, my, what a big hat you have!!!

(YAY!!!! Congrats!!!)

31. Congratulations! I can’t wait to get your book – I’m a beginning/intermediate knitter and would like to take up socks next. Thanks for doing all the hard work that goes into a book – it benefits all of us!

Kates last blog post..Cold, As Always, and Noble Seems OK

32. Congrats on you book publication. I pre-ordered and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. The Susan Boyle link was outstanding!! Sending ear tickles to Lucy.

33. Yippee! Your book has been published and my copy arrived today from Amazon.com! It was delivered to me at work, so I only had a few moments to look through it, but my, oh my! This is great to have everything in one place! Looks like a winner, Ms. Johnson – and thanks!

34. I’m always curious about your two needle sock knitting method. I’ve never gotten past the 4 needle stage.
    The socks are looking great and Lucy is just adorable. :D
    I’m waiting for my bookstore to tell me the books are in! I got a copy of Wendy Knits coming and then I ordered your sock book. I’m way too excited.

PMOYSs last blog post..Aatp Replica in Red

35. Congrats on your Publication Day! And thank you for the link to the Susan Boyle video — inspirational. I’m only sorry I’ll be on the other side of the continent on Saturday instead of down at Knit Happens getting an autographed copy of your book.

36. Patty :-) says:

I received my book today . . . you did a wonderful job Wendy. Great book – very pleased! :-)

37. Julie in Virginia says:

Wendy, Congratulations on Publication Day. My book arrived this evening from Amazon. I’m in amazement on what you can do!

38. Got my copy today! There’s not a pattern that I don’t like (and that’s a first for ANY sock book – and I have most of them..). Great job..thanks so much.

39. I just got mine in the mail!!! I just LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. It’s now here! I hope to have my first sock cast on by the end of the week!!!!
    It’s FABULOUS!!!!

40. Congratulations! Mine’s in the mail. I can hardly wait. ‘Course that’s been the case for months. Susan Boyle is amazing; no dry eyes here. For something completely different try Stavros Flatly accessible from the scroll down menu to the right. Wicked funny.

41. Congratulations on your new book and on my new in my very own hands birthday present! It is BEAUTIFUL!

42. Gratz on publication day!

I watched that video earlier this morning and bawled my eyes out! Want an amazing woman that Susan Boyle is! Such an inspiration!

43. Congratulations, Wendy! My pre-ordered book arrived today and it is gorgeous. I can’t wait to sit down and decide which pattern to start first.

44. Sarah W. says:

My book came today too! I just flipped through it and the knitting illustrations are great! Congratulations!

45. I watched that video this morning and it was freakin’ amazing. My favorite part was the look on the judges faces when she started to sing. Plus, the story that particular song tells is wonderful. Les Mis is one of my very favorite musicals.

DPUTigers last blog post..Roaming Tigger Does the Frozen Four

46. I just queued like eight patterns out of your book. Congrats on the book release!

And, loved the Britain’s Got Talent video. She was amazing!

Jens last blog post..Sock Craze. . . .

47. I got my book today – it is amazing, congratulations! And thank you so much for the YouTube link – I got goosebumps at the first note, and I was teary-eyed the rest of the way…

48. My Amazon order was waiting on my porch when I arrived home today. Beautiful book, Wendy!

I look forward to starting a toe-up sock someday soon! :)

Kathleens last blog post..4.12.09 – Happy Easter!

49. Congratulations on publishing your book!

LittleWits last blog post..Saddle up

50. Lynne E. says:

Thanks so much for mentioning Susan Boyle’s audition–at first I was wondering whether it was some kind of lip-synching joke. What an honor to have listened to such an amazing voice! Congratulations on your book! Amazon shipped mine yesterday, so I’m going to hold off looking at the Ravelry patterns today.

51. Dr. Jackie says:

Congratulations on book day! And thanks for the link to Susan Boyle. After Paul Potts last year, I didn’t think Britain was going to top that…but apparently they have!

52. The book arrived today and it went to knit night with me. It received lots of “ahs” from those still waiting for their copy to arrive. Congrats!

53. Yvonne in Southwest Virginia says:

I was lucky enough to snag the *1 of 1* copy of your new book at Books A Million Saturday. Lovely book, one I am sure I’ll get lots of use out of! Congratulations!

54. Congrats! I wish you were coming to Colorado……we have an awful lot of sock knitters here.

Lizs last blog post..Mixed bag of tricks

55. I am so excited about getting your new book, but the link to Susan Broyles was AMAZING!!! She is awesome.

56. Congratulations! Tracking says I will have my book on Saturday and I ordered your other book to keep it company on the trip. I can’t believe it’s almost here! I’d squee but it would scare my lap kitty.
    I saw a different video of Susan Boyle yesterday and my jaw dropped just like the judges. It’s so cool to see someone about to have their dream come true.

57. Congrats on the book – I look forward to getting my grubby paws on a copy in the hopes it will help me regain my sock-knitting mojo. And thanks for the link to Susan Boyle – it really made my (crummy) day.

Jennis last blog post..A day in the life

58. Congratulations on the book. I looked at it today and got on line and ordered many yarns from Scout and the Loopy Ewe. This is a really good book, I encourage everyone to buy a copy. Amazon got it right to my door this morning.

59. It is a beautiful piece of work! Congratulations Wendy.

60. Congratulations, and about time they got your book out there.

I had to watch that video three times. Just marvelous.

61. Happy Publication Day!!

My copy is on its way from Amazon and I’m really looking forward to getting the parcel!

Congratulations again!

62. Congratulations, Wendy! If you ever make it to California, I’ll be waiting in line to get my copy signed!

63. I know it’s been said time and again. But seriously, congratulations on the book release. It’s been a long time coming.

turtlegirl76s last blog post..Turn, Baby, Turn

64. The book was waiting when I got home tonight. My favorite way to knit socks.

Very nice. Pretty patterns, beautiful yarn.

Loris last blog post..We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by

65. I received my copy today and have blogged about it already. Check it out at:

I love this book! It’s so clearly written and the patterns are gorgeous. This must be so satisfying to see it in print, after working so hard and waiting so long. Congratulations, Wendy, and I wish you much success with the book.

TrishD in MDs last blog post..Everyone Knows It’s Wendy*

66. CONGRATS, Wendy!

I see my contribution right there in the forefront! looking forward to my copy of the book …

margarets last blog post..OOOOHHH – SHINY!!

67. Susan Boyle is awesome. I love the song she chose – one of my favorites and so appropriate for the moment.

Congratulations on your big moment too!

68. Congratulations on your book. That is awesome.

Online Bankss last blog post..MasterCard ATM Hunter iPhone App

69. Wow, thanks for the heads up on the You Tube – that was incredible! Congrats on the book – hope it makes all your dreams come true!

Julias last blog post..5 Tips on Fair Isle Knitting

70. Congrats on the book! As for Susan Boyle I had tears in my eyes the whole time. Thanks for the link.

71. Hoorah! Congratulations on publication! I’ve been eyeing a couple of those patterns already — I hadn’t realized they were part of the new book!

Hissy Stitchs last blog post..In disgrace

72. Congrats on the book! How exciting.

The video was wonderful.

Beadknitters last blog post..Epic Tragedy of a Yarny Nature

73. hooray!! congratulations on your new book :)

74. I went to a few bookstores today looking for it, and was stoked when I finally found it (the first few stores were sold out already!). I can’t wait to sit down and try everything. Tonight is for oohing over the pictures and reading over the pages.

sparksearchers last blog post..Parade of March Items and Pimping a Friend’s Contest

75. Paula Sigman Lowery says:

Congratulations, Wendy! Amazon delivered my copy today. I’ve been a top-down girl, and I can’t wait to try toe up. Brava.

76. Oh Wendy! The last couple of days I’ve sent a youtube link to Susan Boyle to everyone. It makes me teary eyed just thinking about it. So beautiful, and so amazing. I thank you for sharing with all of the people who read your blog. I might have to go watch it again. ;)

Deineras last blog post..#Amazonfail FTMFL!!

77. Wow…that video truly is amazing. It really gives me hope, as an “older” student of music. Just…wow.

78. Congratulations! I am anxiously awaiting my copy of your new book. Amazon has notified me that they have already shipped my copy!

79. I got your new book today at the bookstore. I can’t wait to get started on these patterns. Yay for toe-up socks!

80. congrats on your book! It is now in my Amazon cart!

and oh, the video link … soooo wonderful. How wonderful! I almost liked the judges’ faces as much as Susan’s singing!!

81. I braved a packed Barnes and Noble for my copy today, pushing past a group of patrons blocking the knitting section while they were listening to a science speaker. Totally worth the dirty looks!

Sherris last blog post..Furnace: A movie that didn’t warm the cockles of my heart.

82. Christina says:

Congrats on the new book; I enjoyed reading every page and look forward to putting it to good use.

My hubby asked that I write and thank you for the Youtube link to Susan Boyle. We have a special attachment for the song; it reminds us both of our daughter. We have been playing Susan’s beautiful rendition all night long. Thank you.

Christina

83. Congratulations, to bad that you won’t come to the Netherlands but at least I got an email today that the book has been send!

adas last blog post..Weekly squares

84. Your book arrived this evening. It is beautiful! It was well worth waiting for. My only problem now is deciding which socks to knit first.

Congratulations Wendy!!!

Bess – Texas Knitters last blog post..Much too young to be this old!

85. Regarding that previous post:

I guess it should read last evening since it is almost 4AM on the 15th, but since I have not been to bed yet it is still the 14th in my world.

Bess – Texas Knitters last blog post..Much too young to be this old!

86. Thank you for lengthening my queue. And thanks to Aimee for adding them all.

Very excited for You, KOARC, Lucy and Teddy.

Elysbeths last blog post..Just for fun

87. Congratulations Wendy!

Isn’t Susan Boyle amazing! I love the way she walks off at the end not expecting to be liked or taken seriously. She’s a reminder to all of us to remember it’s not the package we walk around in but the jewels that we are that make us special and unique. I’m so excited for her!

88. Amazon delivered my copy yesterday. I’ve never bought anything published by Potter before. It’s a beautiful book! Of course, the sock designs are gorgeous, and I want to knit every one of them. But I was very pleasantly surprised by the clear and pretty photographs and the book’s layout. It’s a pleasure to browse through it. You should be very proud.

dawns last blog post..Rockin Sock Club *Spoilers*

89. Congratulations! I received my copy yesterday and read it right away! It’s a wonderful book! I know it will be well used in no time at all! I’m off to look at your tour information in the hope that I’ll be able to see you in person!

Jennifers last blog post..A baby surprise – jacket

90. Congrads on your book, I have had it on order from Amazon since the first information was sent to me from Amazon. Thanks for the head’s up about the Utube clip, I saw a snip on the TV last night, it did not do her justice and was very moving to hear her sing that song. cecilia

91. Congratulations on the book! Thanks for the link to Susan boyle — it’s up to 5.5 million views!

92. Michele In Maine says:

Yay, Wendy! I’ve been enjoying making the Diagonal Lace sock and can’t wait for my actual copy to arrive from Amazon so I can make more of your wonderful patterns! I wish you would come to Maine and sign some books!

93. I went to three different stores yesterday and they were all sold out of your book. That’s wonderful news for you, but terrible for me because I desperately want it. Congratulations!

Busters last blog post..Sitting in the Sunshine

94. Wendy, I got my copy yesterday and I absolutely drooled. (And I’m having a hard time keeping it away from my toe-up-loving co-worker . . .) There are so many of your patterns that are heading right to the top of my sock queue. Love it, and congratulations!

95. Yep, the Susan Boyle video is awesome! She’s sassy, too! I like that. And you can see Simon’s all ready to sign her. I think she should join some kind of musical/theatre company; she’d be great. I loved how on point she was singing that song!

Thanks to you and Aimee for getting all the book’s patterns up on ravelry. I like it when none of the pictures are missing for an individual book. More apt to buy them that way.

96. Especially love the light blue gansey, bavarian cable and the riding on the metro socks!

madonnaearths last blog post..I joined the Yarn Everyday Challenge on Ravelry

97. Willa Jean says:

WHOO HOO!
    That is all.

98. Jane in PA says:

I hadn’t thought I’d be interested in your book ’cause I’m a top-downer, but the pictures “got” me. I didn’t like knitting toe up because I think it’s easier/faster to do decreases rather than increase. Do you have any tips? What’s your favorite way to make the increases, and is this also the way that looks best?
    Thanks,
    Jane in PA

99. That song has always made me cry. I think I needed that today, thanks :)

100. I’m going to the bookstore this weekend to pick up a copy (though I should double check that they have them in stock before I go).

Seanna Leas last blog post..[10 for Tues] getting old