1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Great Ideas

spiralbound 240x180 Great Ideas

I may need to do that to my copy . . .

Speaking of Ravelry, check out this new group: Socks From the Toe Up KAL. It is — you guessed it — a knit-along for the patterns from my new book. Have a look-see — it should be a lot of fun and there will be prizes involved, people! A big thank you to Pam for founding the group and for adding me as a moderator. icon smile Great Ideas

Another Great Idea

Reader Bonnie put together a table that lists all the patterns from my book by category along with the yarn and colorway for each. She kindly offered it up to you all. It is available here in pdf format. I’ll put a link to it from the free stuff page in a day or so as well. Thanks, Bonnie!

First Book Appearance

We had the first book event yesterday, at Knit Happens, in Alexandria, VA. L-B came up from Richmond for it, and brought a cake!

cake041909 240x180 Great Ideas

Some pix from the event:

kh041909 240x180 Great Ideas

socks041909 240x180 Great Ideas

wendy041909 180x240 Great Ideas

(And thanks for the muffins, Karen. They are awesome!)

Meanwhile, back at home:

lucy041909 240x160 Great Ideas

Comments

1. I need to find some place near me that will change the binding on my books!

Bevsyarncrazys last blog post..Failure

2. Very clever idea to change to a spiral binding!

Jessys last blog post..New WIP

3. Yes, spiral bindings are usually the way to go. You just have to make sure that the person doing it knows what he or she is doing. And that the type doesn’t extend too far into the gutter.

Idas last blog post..Attention Book Designers: Ever Hear of Form Follows Function?

4. I’ve done that to my Charlene Schurch books and my Cat Bordhi book. Now that I have your book & Cookies, I’ll be bringing those to Kinko’s to have bound as well. It’s so much easier to knit from a spiral bound book!

turtlegirl76s last blog post..Skepticism

5. I just went running into our living room carrying my laptop saying, “Honey, look- Wendy said I was clever!” I feel famous now ;) Looks like your book event was really fun- hopefully you get to come to Kansas City sometime soon!

6. The book is gorgeous, I sure hope the book tour includes a swing through the Bay Area sometime soon. As soon as stupid baby present #2 is finished, I will try socks on 2 circs. In the meantime, a question about increases — you spell out kf&b in places and you also refer to M1′s. I grew up on kf&b and hate yo increases. Can M1′s be kf&b’s or do you have to work that thing between the stitch for the toes to look right? Thanks!

7. Jen in MN says:

I spiral bound all my soft cover knitting books. Kinkos does it for about $5 a book and it’s totally worth it. I wish they could do hard bound books, too.

8. Kenko’s will do that binding for about $5.50. The price has gone up recently. I’ve done it to my computer books, but I haven’t gotten around to doing it to my knitting books because… well, I’m ocd when it comes to my books being in alphabetical order by author, so by taking the binding off, it makes it hard to make sure they are all still in order. I know, I know, I could just pull the book out a little ways and see, but again, I’m ocd about it. ;)

Patricias last blog post..Moving

9. Wondering if there is a Kinko’s near me??? Oh and I joined the Ravelry group KAL. I am gonna need lots of help I am sure. BUT I am gonna make some socks this year if it kills me

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Saturday-Surprised Myself Today

10. Glad you enjoyed the muffins! I love to bake almost as much as I love to knit :^)

Love the book…only think missing is Lucy’s paw print!

fyi – Minuteman Press in Alexandria also does that type of binding. They did some meeting books for us.

11. Kristi ~ Ohio says:

Thanks to Bonnie for putting the list together. I’d already made my shopping list of yarns for your patterns for the shopping trip at The Loopy Ewe during SF. It’s coming up this week…can you believe it? See you Thursday. Kristi

12. Susan L ("knitsnknishes") says:

It was great seeing you again yesterday, and congrats on the new book, in case I forgot to say it while I was there! (And you remembered me from last year, how cool! Or did my S/F goodie bag and my WendyKnits Junior Stalker pin give me away?) See you in ~ count ‘em ~ 4 days at the Fling!!! It was also nice meeting L-B and the KOARC. :)

13. Wendy, your newest book arrived at last in my mail box! I’m so in love with the details you provided on the various methods of heels, how far to knit before you start one, etc. This has been one of the great mysteries of knitting socks from the toe up. A knitter friend of mine has always promised to tell me how she does hers, but never got around to it; I know for her it has to do with getting a drawing of the sock-recipient’s foot. (Hmmm….. sounds like a lot of work to me, and not a good option if you’re hoping to surprise someone with socks as a gift.) I also love the illustrations of the various cast-on methods. I started my first-ever pair of toe-up socks with the Easy Toe method. In fact, if you want to see a picture of them (it’s from one of the KnitPicks sock blanks I dyed), you can see it on my blog at http://coffeeteagals.blogspot.com/2008/12/sand-stitch-mania.html (the second item down in the post). I’ve had to put that project aside while I’ve worked on other things, but mainly I’d put them aside until I had this wonderful book in my hot little hands. Oooh, the socks that shall come of this! :) Thanks again for working so hard to get us great instructions and such a beautiful book!

Judith Brodnickis last blog post..Log Cabin, Aching Joints

14. Collette says:

Your hair looks good. I like that color on you. So rich.

I got my book a day earlier than expected on Thursday and made myself late for meeting friends for dinner because I simply HAD to peruse it. It’s really marvelous. I’m looking forward to really examining it in depth–want to take a toddler off my hands for a couple hours? ;-)

15. It was great to meet you yesterday and I love the book. I do have one question: were the socks that you brought medium sizing or large?

Thanks again!
    Bev

16. I have taken music books to Office Depot to have them cut and rebound with spiral. It allows me to turn the music pages easily, and have them stay put without the book closing. I did two large music books, and they charged me $7. Worth every penny!

Barbara-Kays last blog post..Presenting another generation

17. Congrats on your first event for the new book! I have had several of my knitting books spiral bound at Office Max – it makes it much easier to refer to them while knitting.

18. There is a flickr group to accompany the Ravelry KAL group too -

June will be here before you know it!

Mos last blog post..Warm Ewe Up Swap Partner Revealed!

19. anne marie in philly says:

HI L-B!!!!! Nice cake!

looks like everyone had a good time yesterday…even lucy!

20. I had no idea that you could take a book in and have it spiral-bound. Many is the time I’ve wanted a pattern book to lie flat in my lap so I could knit and follow the pattern at the same time.

Of course, many is the time I’v wanted other books to lie flat so I could read and knit at the same time, but it would cost a whole lot to have my whole home library done! I guess that’s what Kindle is for.

Hissy Stitchs last blog post..Mmm… new sock yarn!

21. Yes – the spiral binding was a great idea – I took mine to Staples the day after I got it. They did it all for $2.13 (including sales tax). I was thrilled and the book is even more user friendly. The content is fabulous – I love this book! The magic cast on is amazing – I’m playing around with some of the socks but can hardly wait to meet Wendy in person at the SWAK Knit-Out in Guthrie, OK this May.

22. I totally joined your KAL. :D I got your book just today and I’m so excited! I plan to make a bunch of socks for my mother in law and my mum.

PMOYSs last blog post..Aatp Replica in Red

23. Oh, the spiral binding is a good idea. I wonder how easy or hard it is to do. Might have to see about having that done. :) I wish I could have been there for the book signing. It looks like it was a fun time.

Deineras last blog post..#Amazonfail FTMFL!!

24. Darn! You had the actual sox at the signing. I would have driven over for that just to see how they feel like, even though I’m not a sock knitter and may never become one (of course you never know). And also to see your hair — the last time I saw you it was goden auburn. You look great in the picture. Keep it like that.

25. That was GOLDEN auburn. sorry!

26. That spiral binding might just be happening here too – I think all craft books should have it.

I love the sunflower cake LB brought you – how clever!

My book came yesterday and, as I knew it would be, it’s delightful and answers some long pending questions.

Leslies last blog post..Well, There Have Been Things…

27. Michele P. says:

Thanks for the great ideas, guys! I’m waiting impatiently for my copy of Wendy’s book to arrive in the mail. I printed out the PDF list of colorways – if I print it, the book will come:) Must get it spiralbound – thanks for reminding me of this great idea! Wendy, I look forward to your book – it sounds wonderful! Wish there could be a signing event in my town!

28. Wendy – congrats on the books and event. I’m off new projects until the FL Legislature leaves town, but I can’t wait to get back to my life. The pictures made me homesick for my hometown.

ellens last blog post..Knitting with Chickens, or Wishing on Starfish

29. Michele in maine says:

Love your hair!

Sorry to miss your great event. I will def. be spiral-binding my book – great idea.

30. It was GREAT to meet you at the book signing on Saturday. I’m going to have to look into spiral binding my book as well. Sure a great idea.

31. Congratulations on your new book. I enjoyed paging through it and I’m sure I’ll spend many more nights paging through it in awe – deciding which one I’m going to do first. Wish I could have been at your book signing.

JoAnns last blog post..Sighs of Relief

32. I’m very much enjoying your book and am sorry to have missed your local book signing as it was my weekend to work. I do not see MSWF on your schedule, but you are so busy before and after it, I can see why. Thank you for yet another lovely and inspiring book.

Roseanns last blog post..Spinning Wheel Plate & Radish Yarn

33. I work in an office and we have a copy center who will do that for me to my books if I ask them nicely. I wish I could get them to do all my books, but it would just be too hard since I have so many. I take in my favs. I just ordered your book, I really need to take the plunge and learn toe ups, but the cast on’s just scare the heck out of me.

Beths last blog post..Frogging

34. Congrats – wish I could have been there! Great photo of you with your book!

Aponis last blog post..Close Up

35. I like to spiral bind the books I can as it makes them so much easier to handle whilst working the patterns. Less wear & tear on the book (and me) and only costs @ $5 so long as there’s sufficient margin next to the spine. :)

Congrats ~ Love the book! Hugs to you & Lucy.

36. looks like a great first event!! So, how do we entice you to the pacific northwest??*grin*

turtles last blog post..In Memorium : Ocean Myst

37. i love your book and plan on joing the KAL on ravelry. i have been readying your blog for some time–it speaks to me often.

i love your teaching and patterns–i want to do all and now i have some structure to it.

thanks so much

38. Once again, many congratulations and thanks to you for writing this book – and I haven’t even seen a copy yet! But well-done technical instructions and illustrations are what help me most. I was glad to see that Carol had given it one of her excellent reviews.

39. Margaret says:

I received my copy of your book at about noon on Wednesday. After glancing through it I headed to Kinkos to have a coil binding put on it. (I took Cookie A’s book also). My most favorite books meet this fate. What an awesome book.

40. Lexie Condit says:

I just LOVE the book and have already found a pattern to use for my sister in law’s socks!! I joined the KAL as well and can’t wait to get started either!

I do love having the book turned into a spiral bound book. I will have to hit up Staples or Kinkos

41. I am so very glad the book signing went well! I wish I could have stopped by, but the man driving the vehicle decided yarn was not on his route home. Stoopid men! Luckily for him your book was waiting on my doorstep. It’s lovely!

Many cuddles for Lucy!

42. - got my book this evening – yippee! ….and the spiral binding is a GREAT idea – I had no idea it was so reasonably priced! I’m looking forward to your Richmond signing!

Cindy K

PS: Did LB make that beautiful cake?

Cindy Ks last blog post..Spinning Pretty

43. Theresa in Italy says:

I can’t wait for my copy to arrive—but I may have to, the mail is so slow—so before all the excitement fades away let me thank you in advance for the awesome book, because I know from all the comments and reviews that I’m going to love it. And now I’ve got the KAL to check out, too! Lovely book signing party, wish I could have been there, and I agree with everyone who admired your hair—it looks great!

44. Wendy in Cambridge says:

My copy of your book arrived on Saturday, and I just love it! Thanks so much for writing it. I’m planning on making a lot of those socks!

45. newjerseylaura says:

Congratulations, Wendy! Did you ever guess you would become famous because of…socks? :)

46. Even if I never knit socks (well, almost never, I knitted three pairs last years and they were my firts and also my last in my 20-yrs-knitting career), I of course ordered your book on Amazon – can’t wait to get it!!
    Have you got darker hair now?? You look wonderful in the pic!

47. Waiting patiently for the Rib and Cable pattern to appear on The Loopy Ewe. :)

48. Sigh, once again you Americans have an advantage with such a great and IMHO cheap service! Though I must admit, I cringe when thinking someone taking my Precious Knitting Books and HURTING them, be it in their own best interest…

Nunts last blog post..Raportti SNY:lleni :)

49. The spiral binding is an excellent idea. :)

LittleWits last blog post..Fern Progress

50. Barb Edison says:

Your sock books rocks! (You grew your hair out – pretty, very pretty!)

51. I’m so excited about the KAL! Can’t wait for it to start. I too thought the spiraling was a neat thing until I spiraled the wrong side of one of my books (and now it’s upside down….) I am sooooo stoopid sometimes! I better just stick to regular bound, huh?

You look so happy at the book signing. Enjoy your wonderful accomplishment! :)

Danieles last blog post..Spinning Weekend, and … my Hero.

52. Hey, you look lovely with the longer hair!

Can’t wait for the KAL. I’m kind of embarrassed to admit that in all my years of knitting, I’ve never once made socks! Christmas stockings, yes, but that’s not exactly the same. :)

53. Lovely pics! Sounds like a good time was had by all! Congrats! Lucy kitty looks soooooooooooooooooooooo comfy at home! luv.m.

54. Got your new book on Friday. Read it like a mystery novel all weekend. Now I’m about to launch in to some of the patterns. The photos and instructions are great.
    I’ve made socks from your patterns before, but this is a treasure.

55. Now that I’ve received my copy of your book, I just have to comment again to say that it’s the single most helpful sock knitting book I think I will ever own. Such clear, complete instructions and beautiful patterns all in one place. Thanks again, Wendy.

56. I’m looking forward to getting a copy.

You look very pretty and kind in that photo.

57. Kate Hesser says:

Just wanted to say that I LOVE your hair and your sock patterns.

58. Love your hair… still shampoo free?

I have yet to attempt a toe-up sock… will have to get your book!
    Congratulations!!

Michelles last blog post..My Little Hint for My Fellow Knitters

59. Man I can’t wait to get my hands on those books!!! And what a great idea to do to the books. I have a bunch I need to do that to.

Tiffanys last blog post..Franklin the Turtle

60. I am looking forward to seeing you at the Spring Fling, after a lot of fairly random stuff and work to get through first as well! (Plus I am hoping to get a certain project done after multiple roadblocks….we’ll see if work permits that.)

Still, it should be a wonderful time! Travel safely, and tell Lucy you’ll be back home soon! (I’m sure she’ll miss snuggling with her Momma.)

Cathy-Cates last blog post..Saturday Skies In Arrears

61. I also got both of my books (I have Cookie A’s too) spiral bound and had them laminate the covers this weekend… Sadly there are some air bubbles but it’s too late now. I’m just glad that both books will last forever!!

I had to pay a tiny bit more to laminate the covers on your book due to the fold out flaps but it was worth it. I think it was $13 to do two books…

Sarahs last blog post..Hoopdy loo

62. Ummmmmm – I hope I don’t sound stupid (like everyone else on earth knows this) but how did Emily do that? I would love to do that to all of my sock books (maybe all of my knitting books)?

63. Wendy, it was great to meet you at Knit Happens last weekend (I was the one in the green Robin Melanson Gansey-Inspired Tee sweater). My copy of your book had just arrived from The Great South American River (like I told Holly, I preordered before they announced the signing, which made me feel guilty in retrospect, but I did buy yarn!). Love the new hair color–darker reds look so nice with green or blue eyes.

I took your book to lunch at Cosi after having it signed, and I read through all of the technical material. It’s really thorough and clear. I wouldn’t hesitate to give a copy of the book to a brand-new sock knitter as a basic course on the matter. Nice job! I’m on a bit of a sweater jag, but several of the patterns are just calling out to be knitted from my enormous stash of sock yarns.

64. I just got your book, and it is fabulous! Even though I am not new to socknitting, I loved the “how tos”. A beginning socknitter could follow them with no problems.

I also joined the Ravelry KAL. I can’t wait. =)

65. Congratulations on the book! You deserve a wonderful party. Your hair looks amazing! Is that still the henna? Seriously, I love it – such a rich color!!!!!!! Unless I have missed it, you should update us on the hair. ;) Have fun flingin!

66. I lost my Christmas stocking pattern (left it on an airplane). It was my favorite pattern and I’m just ready to turn the heal but don’t know how to do it! Suggestions? I don’t even know what the brand of the pattern was (I’ve had it for 20 years!), but it had three stockings on it: one striped, one with a santa with a fuzzy beard, and one with ducks and hearts.

I liked it because it had a beautiful foot on it. Every other pattern for Christmas stockings I’ve seen has a baggy or loosely formed foot.

Any ideas? Help!!

Trackbacks

1. [...] VA:F [1.1.7_509]please wait…Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast) This article was found on Wendy Knits. Click here to visit the full article on the original website.Check out what very clever knitter Emily (emmylou on Ravelry) has done to her new sock books:I may [...]