1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

True Confessions

I’m glad to see that so many of you enjoy the Craig Ferguson Show as much as I do.

In answer to some comments questions — sometimes I watch it when it is on (starts at 12:35am). I always DVR it, so on the off chance I’m asleep, I watch it the next afternoon.

You may ask — how is it that this crazy lady is up watching Craig Ferguson at 12:35am when she gets up at 4:00am on weekdays?

I don’t sleep.

Well, that is not exactly true, but I don’t sleep normally. On weeknights I will usually fall asleep 10 pm-ish, but I invariably wake up between midnight and 12:30am. I will usually fall back asleep naturally about 2:00am and get a couple more hours of sleep. Experience has taught me that I might as well get up and do something for a while rather than lie in the dark and try to fall back asleep before I’m ready to because it just ain’t gonna happen. For years I tried that and stressed about it a lot. I tried over-the-counter sleep aids, prescription sleep aids, homeopathic remedies, etc., but I am impervious to drugs. (Seriously — it takes an elephant tranquilizer to knock me out.)

I recently just gave up and embraced my weird sleep patterns and find I’m much more relaxed and happy this way. While I almost never knit in the middle of the night, I do design and write sock patterns. It’s one of my most creative times.

As the Heel Turns

Don’t you think that would be a great name for a soap opera about knitting and knitters? Huh?

I am turning the heel. Excitement abounds!

heel052109 240x160 True Confessions

Speaking of excitement, I’ll be announcing the winners of the WendyKnits Sunrise sock yarn giveaway next week.

Lucy can hardly stand the suspense. icon smile True Confessions

lucy052109 240x160 True Confessions

Comments

1. I can’t stand it, either! Ack!

boutrosbabes last blog post..Something old, something new…

2. Mary YB says:

Ah, someone else with unusual sleep habits. Nothing good has ever come of me knitting in the wee hours.

3. as the heel turns LOL

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Wednesday- Weariness Wins

4. Liz in KY says:

I can sympathize – we’ve had an awful lot of windstorms here this spring (and last fall) and I’ve fallen into the habit of knitting on the leeward side of the house when the winds are above 30 mph or so. I can’t stand listening to the creaking of the house and the trees outside. I get some serious stockinette stitch work in between 2 and 4 a.m…

5. The sleep pattern you describe — waking for an hour or two in the middle of the night, then sleeping again — used to be common in the era before artificial light. In those waking hours, people would do quiet things — talk, smoke, pray, sit at their windows, even visit each other. (Bet some knitted if they could do it in the dark). This was called night watching. Recent experiments indicate that modern folks, too, sleep in this pattern when deprived of artificial light. If you’re interested, check out the book, “At Day’s Close: Night in Times Past, ” by A. Roger Ekirch, published a few years ago.

6. Alex Fagelson says:

What’s up with Miss Lucy’s tail? It look like its vibrating.

7. We’ve just started watching Craig Ferguson. I love the way he rips up his interview cards right before each interview! That man is cracked in the head!

8. My Wendy’s Sunrise arrived today! It’s sooooo gorgeous. And another hats off for embracing your sleep pattern rather than fighting it. Relaxed and happy has got to be good!

Sandra Ds last blog post..Fair Isle Finish

9. Wow, your normal sleep schedule sounds an awful lot like mine last night. At 12:34 like someone blew a whistle I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep for a couple of hours thinking about needing to get back to sleep.

Seanna Leas last blog post..the crochet potholder swap

10. patricia says:

vpurl (#5) beat me to it! I was going to comment about those pre-artificial light sleep patterns as well.

Mid-life temperature issues wake me up in the early morning hours, and like you, I’ve learned to roll with it and not worry about getting back to sleep.

11. Wendy you are awesome! I never thought to do that. My sleep pattern has changed drastically and I just lay in bed wide awake. Same as you sleep aids don’t work. I am going to try your way and see if that works for me. I bet it will be a lot better than stressed out over it all the time.

Hugs!!!!

Cats last blog post..I am back sort of…

12. Jean Marie says:

I remember reading an article about sleep patterns, in Smithsonian magazine (probably several years ago now, it definitely pre-dates younger son, who is 5) – which also indicated that many people had periods of wakefulness in the middle of the night – so maybe your sleep pattern is more normal than not!

13. ChristyH says:

I sooo understand about the insomnia thing. As the Heel turns is very amusing.

14. I never knit sleepy. When I have, I’ve invariably had to frog.

15. Celaine says:

You are describing my wacky sleep perfectly. In bed by 10:30, up around 2am, back to bed between 4 and 5 and then up again between 7 and 9. I’m retired thankfully! My best sleep comes when I go back to bed around 4. I used to sweat it because it puts me on such a weird schedule than the rest of the family. But I gave up and now they are used to it too. I have a Lucy too. She is a pistol!

16. Lucy is worn out from all of the excitement! I hope you cover her eyes when you get to that really inappropriate bind off scene ;-)

Megan S.s last blog post..Overload

17. Cindy Petty says:

I have the same sleep pattern! I also just get up and write or whatever (not knit, though – I find I have to unknit those stitches!)

By the way, I have just named my farm at My Farm on Facebook “Wool Stock”!
    (Ok, you have to be from the 60′s and 70′s to understand the symbolism!)

TTFN,
    Cindy

18. YaY!! I got my LL Wendy knits sunset yarn today and let everyone at knit group fondle it!!!
    they are all so jealous-

19. What vpurl is describing is also called segmented sleep or second sleep –

I usually go to sleep around 11, with my alarm set for 4:40. If I wake up before 3, I find it works best to get up, go to the bathroom, get something to drink (water!), maybe read for 10 minutes or so, and then I can go back to sleep. Waking up at 3:50 or 4:10 is a total disaster.

Curiously, I find that if I’ve taken ibuprofen for a headache, cold or a sore something-or-other – I don’t usually awaken early.

And 2 benadryl (active ingredient in over-the-counter sleep aids) would knock me out cold – for 6 hours – and leave me groggy when I get up. So that’s definitely a loser of an idea.

20. Orange yarn always spells excitement!

kmkats last blog post..Biking safely.

21. That is so true–life is so much better when we learn how to work with what does not work. I am another who spent time battling sleep patterns that do not match the recommended nightly guidelines, but now tries to work with the way I sleep (or sometimes do not), rather than stressing and attempting to force things the other way around. Perhaps sleeping eight hours each night would be best, but life is better for me since I accepted what I have.

Sarahs last blog post..Blue-Grey Days

22. More and more people suffer from insomnia, but only a few think those wakeful times can be used for productive work. Well done in this area, but at the same time I hope you find relief from this condition. Thanks for the free pattern.

Mylynes last blog post..Good Beginnings and Better Endings

23. I’ve read that article about Roger Ekirch in Smithsonian Magazine, too. If you Google, “pre-industrial night” you can find a lot of information about his work and how your sleep pattern is apparently perfectly natural.

24. Glad to know that I’m not the only one who takes naps at 10 pm. I also determined that it was my normal sleep pattern and that I should just go with the flow. Have a great weekend. I’m gonna wash my fleece and hang with the critters.

southparknitters last blog post..On the go

25. Muriel Correa says:

Well I guess if you’re not gonna sleep, it’s better to embrace it than fight it. I can’t wait to see the finished sock! xoxoxoxo

26. Aaahh…sweet sleep! Hope you’re getting enough. At least you are productive when you awake so early.

27. I also have a sleep/get up for a while/sleep pattern. Sleeping through the night is a modern invention. I read an article how in earlier times, people needed get up to tend to animals, fires etc. You and I are just not highly evolved! I call my middle-of-the-night-up-and-about time a “sleep intermission.”

Marys last blog post..Always on my Mind

28. I have the same sleep issues/problem/patterns, too. I’ve just decided that I’m nocturnal.

Smellyanns last blog post..There, I Said It

29. Clearly, I would be the dysfunctional character in a soap opera called As the Heel Turns! LOL! ;-)

30. I agree with vpurl and mary…. americans suffer from the idea that sleeping means to “go to bed and die”. When that book came out, it was on NPR for days.

31. Sheesh! I thought that I was the only one who did this! I go to sleep around 9:30, because I AM a nerd, and wake up around 1:00 AM, just to stay awake until 3 or 4:00 AM. I hate it! But, I have to say that I’m learning to deal with this incredibly stupid sleep pattern.
    Maybe I could get up and knit???????????

32. I DREAM CREATE i actually have a notebook by my bed that i write the dreams in so i dont forget this was a great success with science fair ideas for my kids , were in the ribbons every time.Also i work out pattern problems.I think that the creative side of the brain needs less sleep.
    Shelda

33. I’ve never seen Craig Ferguson, but after that video I will definitely record his show and take a look. (I’m only awake in the middle of the night if the cats are chasing moths, and unfortunately it’s moth season here in Denver so I’m awake a lot.)

34. When I read this I thought of a book review I had read in the New Yorker awhile back, especially the part in the middle of the article about the night having two parts with people getting up in the middle of the night to do things.