1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Not so Much With the Knitting

It has been a non-knitting weekend here, I’m sorry to say.

I’ve apparently cracked a tooth or some equally odious dental event has taken place. The bottom line is that I’ve got pain bad enough to make it impossible for me to concentrate on anything, so the knitting has been set aside for now.

I’ve got all the non-prescription remedies (clove oil, benzocaine, various alcoholic substances on a cotton ball, etc.) and they all provide a bit of temporary relief, but until I visit my dentist first thing tomorrow morning, I’ll be lying on the couch staring at the tv and not knitting.

So carry on without me, okay?

Meanwhile, Lucy is busy with her new playhouse.

lucy053109 240x163 Not so Much With the Knitting

Comments

1. Oh, yeouch! I am so sorry. Toothaches suck. I hope it turns out to be something that is easily (and relatively inexpensively) fixed. Hang in there!

Trish

TrishD in MDs last blog post..Happy Birthday, DH!

2. patricia says:

Sorry to hear about your tooth. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

3. Ouchy, ouch, ouch! Why do those toothaches always happen on the weekend?! Hope you’ll be feeling better soon.

Marys last blog post..In the Bag

4. Oh sweetie big hugs {{{{{}}}}}

Hugs!!

Cats last blog post..Decisions Made

5. My cats have had similar playhouses. They like them more than any kitty condo/climbing apparatus. Hope you stay reasonably numb today.

6. Hope you feel better soon!

7. A toothaches is one of the worst pains there is. Do you have any of the super teething ointments? Those worked when I lost a crown. {{{HUGS}}}

PlainJanes last blog post..WOOT..!!!!!

8. Annette says:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

9. Yikes! Feel better!

sprites last blog post..owww

10. Pre-root canal, my dentist recommended an ibuprofen (200 mg) an hour. Total dosage isn’t any higher than prescription, but you kind of get this burst with each dose. Worked pretty well. Hope you’re feeling a lot better soon.

11. I love kitties in boxes! They just love them!

I hope you’re able to get into the dentist and get whatever’s going on solved quickly. The worst pain in the world. *hugs*

Deineras last blog post..The Vacation

12. Muriel Correa says:

I’m so sorry to see that you’re not feeling well and it must be pretty bad to keep you from knitting. Wish I could help out, but being this far away, there’s not much to do except tell you I hope the dentist appointment tomorrow makes it all better.

13. I have heaps of Vicodin left over from the broken ankle — shall I email you some?

kmkats last blog post..Feeder and feet.

14. Lucy’s playhouse looks so cozy. Hope the dentist fixes the tooth fast and painlessly

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Saturday- Say Did You See This Contest?

15. try putting a clove of garlic (fresh) next to the tooth as well… that might help with any infection that could be brewing! feel better FAST!!

jessicas last blog post..Yarn Harlot in Texas

16. Keep your head propped up higher than your body. That will help with the pain a little too. A couple shots of tequila might help…no, no, forget I said that. Hope you are good as new tomorrow!!

Katherines last blog post..All In One Week!

17. Ouch! I hope it’s a quick fix at the dentist’s.

I can only offer the comfort of knowing that one more copy of your lovely book has finally been bought (by me!).

Take care.

18. Mary Pat says:

Dad was a dentist. Here is what he suggested as a topical – AMBESOL. It has always worked for me.

Sorry that you are having a lost week-end and hope that Monday comes soon.

19. Rest well and feel better soon.

Mylynes last blog post..I Heard It Through the Grapevine

20. Ouch! You have my sympathies. I had a tooth surgically extracted a week ago Thursday & am just beginning to feel more or less normal. What made me really angry was that I had told my former dentist three or four years ago that I had a cavity in that tooth along the gum line & he acted like I was crazy. By the time I wised up & switched dentists, it was too far gone to save. Another tooth (which the same dentist had apparently done a very bad job of capping) broke & had to be taken care of first. And then the tooth which ended up being pulled began to throb. My dentist doesn’t do extractions & the oral surgeon she recommends couldn’t see me for over a week. She suggested that I see if I could find one in my area who could see me sooner & I ended up using the one who removed SO’s wisdom tooth. But those 2 days in between when I made the appointment & when I had the surgery were very scary. The tooth throbbed & the whole side of my face ached. But I was able to keep the pain from tipping over into excruciating beyond the power of anything other than anesthesia to dull. But I really couldn’t function other than to sit in a recliner & watch TV or read very light stuff. Certainly couldn’t concentrate well enough to knit – even mindless knitting was beyond me. Fortunately the oral surgeon I went to was very kind & concerned about ensuring adequate anesthesia & subsequent pain relief.

21. Ouch! Dental stuff is the worst. :( Hope the dentist can fix you up quickly tomorrow. Praying you can find some relief for your pain before then!

Lisas last blog post..Whoa…

22. Sounds like you need more “alcoholic substances!” I hope the dentist fixes you up good as new tomorrow morning.

Marjis last blog post..On My Own

23. Ow! Not good! Hope the dentist sorts it tomorrow. :o)

Lauras last blog post..New Knitting Toy

24. Heather M says:

mouth /head pain is the absolute worst because you can’t escape from it. I have TMJ issues so I feel for ya. hugs.

25. Bummer! It’s bad enough to crack a tooth and all that entails, but to loose a perfectly good weekend knitting day too!

Hope you can quickly put this all behind you. Hugs to Lucy, too.

Barbara-Kays last blog post..Cast On, Maties!

26. Sorry to hear about the tooth. The good news is they know how to fix these things. You should be good as new on Monday.

BTW- I started the I Heart Toe Up socks and Surly Teenage Daughter asked if she could have them when they’re done. I Heart your new book!

27. Linda from Kansas says:

Ouch! I can certainly sympathize and empathize with you. I hate teeth problems.
    That is a real bummer. Hope you get to feeling better real soon.

28. Feel better soon. Cats and boxes ya gotta love em!

southparknitters last blog post..On the go

29. My sympathy goes out to you. Definitely “been there, done that”, and it isn’t fun. Always on the weekend too. Hope you feel better soon.

30. Alice in Richmond says:

I think dentists should have emergency rooms. Hope they fix you up tomorrow!

31. BuckfastBee says:

Sorry about your pain – here in Germany you can go to the emergency service also on sundays and holidays, every weekend at least one dentist is in service for 24hrs, with no extra-charge = all paid by the insurance.
    Maybe we have to drive up to 30 miles if in a rural area and have to wait for one or two hours but nobody has to wait for relief the whole weekend.until Monday…
    Poor Wendy!

32. Throw away the cotton balls and drink the liquor, that’ll knock you senseless ^_^ Or, have you tried wrapping Lucy around your neck? Maybe the heat would help…

In all seriousness, toothache is a nasty thing, I hope you’ll get it sorted out without any other additional nasties like root canal.

Nunts last blog post..Swirly

33. newjerseylaura says:

Oh Wendy! So sorry! May the pain-relief be with you.

34. Ooooh! Sorry about the tooth! Good luck with that.

Marions last blog post..A Week in the Life

35. Kathy Sue says:

Large heaps of sympathy on you! I found that a cold cloth (wet) held to the face helps tremendously. It numbs the same nerve the dentist would put Novacaine in. Be careful about the Motrin if you want surgery in that mouth tomorrow–you’ll bleed too much. Interesting story from Germany’s socialized medicine, eh?

Thanks for the kitty in a box pic. Made me smile big! PS-If I ever do a blog, it will be “The Knitting Nurse” or some cute play on the fact that my profession and my hobby both involve needles. Feel better.

36. Grammynan says:

I can empathize. Cracked molar over Christmas Eve/Day and a house full of company!! Lots of Motrin. Get well soon.

37. Glad your dentist is able to see you first thing. I had something similar happen a year or two ago, and it’s nightmarish. Hope by this time tomorrow you’re feeling much, much better.

P.S. Looks like it’s Box-hab for Lucy…

38. MamaLana says:

Thirty years ago I was in D.C. between assignments and needed dental help FAST. I found an emergency dentist in Arlington somewhere on Columbia Pike. Surely there are still such places! Get well fast and have some tequila.

39. Oh, no! Dental pain is not good. :o(
    Thank goodness for an early dental visit. Hope all is better soon.

40. please get better! Tooth issues are never any fun.

PMOYSs last blog post..Back From Outer Space

41. I’m so sorry, I do hope you feel better soon. Having had all four wisdom teeth removed this time last year at an age not normally recommended for having wisdom teeth removed, I totally understand how you are feeling right now.
    The knitting will be there to cheer you up after the dentist.

Millys last blog post..Feeling Sheepish

42. There is NOTHING worse than tooth pain. I’m SO sorry you have to go thru this. Hang in there and hope you can get some relief tomorrow.

43. My Sunrise yarn arrived yesterday – it is beautiful and interesting. Some grey sneaked in that I wasn’t expecting and a bit of a silver-ish cast overall. Very rich color indeed! I’m learning about lots of new yarn dyers since finding your site. Just what I needed: more encouragement to buy even more yarn. ;-)

Never been friends with a cat of my very own, having been raised by dog-people. But if I could find another Lucy I would snap her up in a New York minute. Beautiful. Siamese?

I, too, am sorry about your dental pain. Having had several broken teeth that did not create pain, I fear this is more complicated. But I hope not.
    Chin up ;-)
    Linda R

44. Wendy, I’m so sorry to hear about your tooth! I hope the dental visit tomorrow goes quickly and relatively painlessly and they can fix the problem easily. I’ll knit a few extra rows on my Sprucey Lucy socks for you!

Liz in KY

45. Ouch! Feel better soon – we’ll all be sending you healthy vibes. : )

The Left-Handed Crafters last blog post..Unearthing my Henry scarf

46. Hang in! And good for you for going to the dentist so quickly. I put it off until my cheek swelled up and I looked like a cross between a chipmunk and Renee Zellweiger…..it’s amazing how much you’ll like your dentist when he/she makes the pain go away!

47. Wishes for you to have sweet release. And soon.

48. Oh Wendy, I’m so sorry to hear this. Last week I also had a minor ache in my tooth, one that cold potentially get bigger as the days go on, so i do know how it feels. Not much we can do at home with this kind of ache. I pray you get some sleep, or hit that whiskey bottle again.:)

49. Ow!

Dianes last blog post..Happy Mother’s Day!

50. I feel your pain. I went to the dentist 4 times this past week and now Monday. I have a cracked tooth, meaning big bucks. Hope your tooth will not be as bad.

51. Yikes! I’ll knit a steady, soothing, stretch of garter stitch and think of you.

Sarahs last blog post..Taking Chances

52. Oh no – not an *odious* toothache! ;-)

Glad you were able to at least make an appointment over the weekend. I have a root canal appointment tomorrow morning so we are in the same boat!

See ya on the Plurk side!

Aponis last blog post..The Raven Rocks!

53. Theresa in Italy says:

Ouch! Tooth pain is no fun at all. I’m amazed you can even stare at the TV, never mind knitting. Hope your appointment is early in the day and that you’ll be pain-free very soon..

54. I feel your pain — I had a bone transplant done on Thursday (in preparation for a fytyre implant) — and thank goodness for the heavy dut pain meds! I could knit this weekend!

Hope everything is fine!

Annes last blog post..The Man With a Load of Mischief

55. HeatherB says:

Oh man, that really sucks. :( Weird how tooth pain is so much more intense than other pain. I hope you feel better after your trip to the dentist and can take the rest of the day off. I always feel ripped off if I’m sick on a weekend day,

56. YOUCH! I hope Mr. Dentist fixes you up good this a.m.!

57. I hope your dentist is able to heal you!

LittleWits last blog post..Thunder Alley 2009

58. Sorry you’ve been in pain and hope it is resolved soon. Dental pain is terrible!

I’ve been reading your first book and enjoying it immensely. I am mostly self taught also, and when you shared that in a knitting class you were embarrassed to see everyone else doing a long tail cast on with one hand while you were using both, I think I gasped out loud. At one time, I also thought I was the only one!

I am 56 and having been knitting for well over 40 years. I am in a new knitting group that meets at a local yarn store. Yesterday there were only a few of us there when I talked about that part of the book and my reaction. I was surprised that the women on either side of me both also use two hands to cast on. We all agreed that if it isn’t broken, why try to fix it?

Knittys last blog post..Blue Monday Knitting

59. Heck of a weekend. I tore some calf muscle tissue tap dancing with my husband (in a class) — seeing MD this morning. Hope your tooth is easily fixable. Here’s to knitting tomorrow.

Sharilyns last blog post..It’s a veritable potpourri today!

60. I hope your dentist is able to fix you up!

For future reference, I find that *consuming* various alcoholic substances is a better remedy that placing them on a cotton ball :)

I’m looking forward to more knitting from a toothpain-free Wendy!

61. I hope you are feeling better after your dentist visit. After cracking a tooth on a hard piece of popcorn, I stay clear of it. That $1400 bill for a crown could have bought a lot of yarn!

62. Pam Huang says:

I’m glad that you are seeing the dentist right away. I waited a month or two after I cracked a tooth last year and ended up with a root canal and crown. Hope you are feeling better soon and back to the needles!

63. Dr Carol’s Rx: Take all the pain meds they’ll give you, drink homemade malted milk shakes for sustenance, watch trashy TV, surf the Projects section of Ravelry.

(I’m not really a doctor but I play one when I’m not knitting.)