1. Brickless, designed by Martina Behm, knit from Mrs. Crosby Carpet Bag in the "Boston Fern" colorway on a 4.0 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Owie

Another knit-free day. The sock-in-progress sits sadly by itself:

sip060109 240x160 Owie

The gansey sits sadly by itself:

gansey060109 240x160 Owie

The kitty is happily sleeping:

lucy060109 240x160 Owie

I had half a root canal procedure today. I have to wait til the infection in the tooth is gone (ew) before it can be completed. I’ve got penicillin and pain killers. And an appointment for the rest of the fun a week from Friday. But it feels better already.

Two months ago I got a mouthguard because I had started clenching my teeth. Um, alot. But apparently I had already cracked the poor tooth, so this has been building up for a while, despite my using the mouthguard every night since I got it.

On the way home from the dentist, I noticed my odometer:

odometer060109 240x180 Owie

My car is 5.25 years old and has 12,000 miles on it. Yep, I don’t drive much!

And apparently care and feeding of the blog is foremost in my mind. I was de-numbing from novocaine, aching from the procedure, drooling slightly, with the beginning of a shooting pain up into the right eye, yet I was keeping an eye on the odometer so I could snap a pic for the blog.

Comments

1. My sympathies. I just lost part of a tooth that had apparently been slowly (and painfully) cracking apart. Hope you feel better soon!

Janiss last blog post..from tolstoy to tinker bell

2. Glad you’re feeling better. Hope you feel like knitting again soon.

southparknitter (aka Timmie!)s last blog post..On the go

3. Been where you’re at tooth wise…that poor half knit sock looks so lonesome..perhaps tomorrow will be a better day to knit…feel better..

4. Hang in there. I hope you are feeling better quickly.

Stacys last blog post..More Spring Fling

5. Poor you. Hope the painkillers start to work their magic soon.

Lauras last blog post..Millvina Dean

6. KiwiSooz says:

Ouch. I know your pain. Poor Wendy. :( Went in for a crown, they said, oh oh root canal and then discovered I had an abcess in my jaw! Well, good grief, shouldn’t that have hurt? Anyway, 8 hours later I was home and sore and two days later, right as rain! So, you will be too and back to knitting up a storm. The end.

7. I don’t put many miles on my car either, but more than you it seems. But I bet you have more frequent flyer miles then I do, lol. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Aunt Kathys last blog post..Sunday- So What Do You Think?

8. Sorry your owie Wendy! I hope the pain killers kick in soon.

Cheekyredheads last blog post..DIY bath time for rheumatiod arthritis pain relief

9. I am new to reading your blog but I feel your pain (literally). I broke my tooth last year the same way and had to have a root canal. My Dr. has suggested the biteguard but I haven’t done it yet. Does it help?

Emily S.s last blog post..Some quick shop talk….

10. Ouch! That sounds so painful. Painkillers are a thing of beauty though.

Holy Horse! My car is about as old as your and I have 67,000 on my odometer!

Jens last blog post..A Walk in the Park

11. We who read the blog faithfully wish to extend our humble gratitude for your care and feeding of us :P It’s hard to have a day without a Lucy photo and to have missed the 12,000 mile mark would have been shocking!

Srsly, I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Leslies last blog post..Memorial Day Sunday

12. PICAdrienne says:

My advice (I know you did not ask for it) is to keep ahead of the pain with the painkillers. Take them as prescribed, even if the pain doesn’t seem too bad. It is easier to keep the pain knocked down, than to get rid of it once the pain takes hold.

You are in my thoughts.

13. Isabelle says:

Sending you good vibes!

14. Pam aka inlovewithalpaca says:

Wendy, I know the pain I’ve had a couple full root canals done and they are not fun. Thanks for reminding me that I need a new mouthgard because I’m a clencher and a grinder. Hopefully you’ll be able to get to some knitting.

15. Good healing and quiet sleeping.

Elysbeths last blog post..Alive!

16. When you can’t knit, you know you are really in pain or sick. I hope you’re feeling better soon. I am so excited to be taking a class with you this weekend at Charlotte Yarn. I’ve knit socks but never from the toe up. See you Saturday morning!

17. I hope you feel better soon.

18. I am a clencher too…I cracked on tooth in oh, 1997-98 or so. Then cracked the same tooth on the opposite side last year. NOT FUN. Both required extractions. But I do get to tell people that I am getting an implant…!

19. So glad that you are better today! Rest, take your pain killers and tomorrow you should be knitting again.

20. patricia says:

above and beyond the call of blog duty- an odometer foto! Thank you.

Enjoy the painkillers and the happily sleeping kitty.

21. I hope you will feel much better soon Wendy. I’m sorry that you are in pain. Hugs

22. OUCH! Glad you are on the road to recovery! Take care! luv.m.

23. Yep, truly blog obsessed.

My car has 179K+, and I’ll probably be driving about 65+ on the way to work when it turns 180 or 200, so no pics, I don’t think. I lived in DC before the Metro was built, and it wasn’t useful to me when they started it. It’s been fun to ride it as a visitor though, since then, and useful when my Mom was at GW Med Center when she had bypass surgery. The Foggy Bottom (I think that was the one) station escalator is something else.

Go sleep with the kitty.

24. Owie, indeed. You have my deepest sympathies. I have, apparently, somewhat fragile teeth and a couple of years ago broke three teeth in the space of about 4 months. Three crowns and two root canals! I joked with my dentist that I wanted the new wing on his house named after me. The third one actually broke while I was eating a soft piece of bread. My dentist said, “When it’s the tooth’s time to go…it’s going to go.”

Hope you are feeling all better very soon.

Sarah Rs last blog post..Throw Some Pics On The Bloggie!

25. Feel better soon, Wendy. I’ve been thinking about you and wishing you well. Your car is 5.25 years old with only 12,000 miles—my car is 4 years old and has about 88,000 wonderful, fun miles on it (3 trips cross country and one trip across Canada plus many short trips here and there). John has an old truck that he uses to haul things around the grounds here at home. He bought it new in 1985 and it has 25,000 miles—of course it isn’t driven very often ;)

Elizabeths last blog post..1,2,3, GOOOOOOOO!

26. I had a tooth break out from UNDER my filling. Clenching my teeth in my sleep had been the culprit. I love my mouthguard and if I forgot to put it in one night, boy do I feel it the next day.

I hope the rest of your procedure is done with a modicum of pain and a maximum of healing!

Sandys last blog post..Busy as a Bee Saturdee!

27. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Roseanns last blog post..8-ply Cotton Yarn

28. Glad you are feeling better, hope the trend continues. If and when you decide to sell that car, please let me know ;-)

kmkats last blog post..The face of guilt.

29. Shirley Ryan says:

Hey Wendy….went thru the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The tooth was cracked up so far they couldn’t crown it. So after 3 hours in the dentist’s and then oral surgeon’s chair, it was finally out, and I got a free smoothie from the OS> :)

It’s fine now, except for the big hole.

30. well your brain is still working even if you aren’t up to knitting ,poor girl.
    To take a picture of your odometer shows ,the brain ain’t numb… just bored.and wanting to create.

Elsies last blog post..Monday Morning

31. Ouch! Hope you feel better soon. But I know what you mean about having blog pix in the forefront of your thoughts…

pdxknitteratis last blog post..Looking ahead

32. ouch! heal well, tell lucy to get off her furry butt and heat up some soup for you! (or ice cream, yogurt…)

turtles last blog post..updated end of may!! quick pimps, while i unpack and clean!

33. I hope you are feeling better soon. I went through something very similar about six months ago.

Glad you got a mouthguard too. I suffer from very intense TMJ pain because I waited so long to get one.

34. In Dental Hell myself, so I feel your pain! Really! Good job on the odometer,however. I cannot wear my mouthguard right now since I have new crowns under construction and have to wait till the work is finished to get a new one! Hope I don’t crack another tooth in the meantime!

Lizs last blog post..Thank you Ali!

35. I hope you heal super quick!

LittleWits last blog post..Thunder Alley 2009

36. Ow! Hope all is better soon.

37. anne marie in philly says:

you…..are…..special

you think of us at a time like this…..

(shakes her head in wonderment)

steven and meredith send their purrrrrrrrrrrs for a speedy recovery!

38. think of this “adventure” as an enforced sabbatical!!

39. Feel better soon. I fear that a root canal is in my future since the tooth that I had crowned about a month ago is really sensitive to hot and cold. Good Luck!

Marjis last blog post..On My Own

40. Wendy, hope you are feeling better soon. Been thru the same dental issues. Sounds like I am “lucky” that I only have 5 crowns and no root canals because of broken teeth. But three crowns in three months in 2007 w/o dental ins or the broken tooth on the day we were to leave for a 2 week trip to Cancun was no fun. I agree that wearing the nightly mouthgard has put a stop to the broken teeth and jaw pain. Lucy’s cuddles should help you thru this and you’ll be back to knitting soon.

41. NewJerseyLaura says:

Owie is right! Feel better soon.

42. Oy! I had an infected wisdom tooth out, too, but they didn’t put me on antibiotics first to calm it down. Here’s a tip: anesthetics aren’t so effective if there’s an infection in there (novacaine, gas, and valium and I still felt that sucker getting yanked). Going on antibiotics first is a GOOD thing.

Hissy Stitchs last blog post..Forecast calls for intermittent baby showers

43. Owie sympathy! One of the nice things about knitting is that it will patiently wait for you to come back to it – probably one reason I have so many UFO’s….in any case, take care of yourself! Take the pain meds and keep petting Lucy; it really will make you (and her) feel better.

44. Oh poor baby – my mouth hurts just hearing about your pain – good luck with the fix-I’d rather be in labor again than have dental work done.
    Congrats on the 12,000. My car just hit 170,000 and it is a 1999.

45. Paula in Iowa says:

All will be better, Ms. Wendy. Hang in there and sleep all you can. Then when your jaw and brain have stopped thumping, please would you make a sock pattern that can be called “Links and Rings”. I can’t see it in my head (well almost, sorta) but I love the name! Lots of soft hugs and canned chicken noodle soup thoughts going your way. Paula in Iowa

46. Sorry about the tooth. I landed in DC with an abscessed tooth-the plane flight hurt. Led to my first root canal right at the start of my internship in the Senate. Fell better soon. My 1 year, 2 mo old Accord had its 20,000 mile service last week.

paulas last blog post..Bath Time for Belvedere

47. Ow I feel yer pain! Been there, done that and it’s hell when novacaine doesn’t work because of infection! But if you use the meds and combine the narcotic pain relievers with about 4 ibuprofen pills, it really really works.
    Feel better! Once you get the root canal, you will feel so much better – no pulp means no nerve. No nerve means no pain!
    Take care,
    joan in ellicott city, md

Joans last blog post..Life is like a box of sock yarn

48. Ouch – but at least you’ll still have a tooth – I’m going to have to have a bridge to replace that ginormous molar I just lost :-(

49. Yes, mouth guards help. I hope you feel better soon. Will gladly send you my leftover Vicodin that makes me hurl like a dog. I can’t take the stuff but no sense wasting it.

50. poor baby!!! root canals are abysmal. you will feel better, and knitting will resume. sooner or later.

51. Glad that you’re feeling a wee bit better. Hang in there, and get well soon!

52. Theresa in Italy says:

Glad to hear that you’re feeling better. Take it easy. The knitting will wait patiently till you get back to it (ask me how I know). Thanks for the odometer update—I wish I could get away with driving as little as that!

53. Ouch. I had an abscessed tooth right around Christmas last year. I was supposed to get a root canal, but I just couldn’t justify the expense (a tooth in the back that I can barely reach to brush and floss – stupid mouth). Instead after the infection went away, I had it pulled. It is just weird how pain in the tooth seems to go everywhere!

Seanna Leas last blog post..Surrounded by boxen

54. Sorry about the dental pain – I’m in the middle of “implant” procedures and seem to spend more time at various dentists’ offices than at home.

My odometer is just getting to 16,000 as the car will turn 2 this week, and I was thinking the very same thing – darn, I don’t drive that much anymore! — I don’t live in an area where public transportation is available!!

55. Tanneke says:

Au, au, au, my deepest sympathy and some more.
    Many, many years ago my (late) father was in a car accident that caused so much pain that he clenched his teeth terribly, but nobody realised until a year later when his teeth (roots) gave a lot of trouble and x-rays showed cracks all over. He lost all his teeth. So don’t clench!!!
    xx and hugs (gently)

56. Oh Wendy, you are so devoted to your loyal readers! Hope you feel better soon, and take it easy this week. The knitting will still be there when you’re feeling better. : )

57. Michele In Maine says:

yes, documentation is key!

hope you’re feeling better soon!

58. Oh Wendy. Poor you! Hopefully you feel up to knitting today. What on earth has you so troubled that you clench your teeth with that much pressure? I wonder if you make enough $$ doing your knitting gigs & books, if you could quit your “day job”. You are clearly a very intelligent and witty lady and you seem very successful in the knitting world, I would think if anyone could make a go of making her hobby into a day job, it would be you! Then my friend you would have won the game of life!

As always, smooches to your lovely, four-legged daughter.

59. Patti D says:

I am going through the same problem like you and also wear a mouthguard. My dentist thinks that it is happening due to stress. I have been closing down my local GM plant in WI for the past several months and now am layed off. My jaw still feels tight in the morning. I don’t know what is worse– going through the root canals and crowns or paying for them. I hope you feel better soon, Wendy. I really miss you when you can’t blog, and I miss your knitting progress. Patti D.

60. Dr. Jackie says:

Hope you’re feeling better soon. I don’t envy you. Maybe your knitting I do…but not your teeth!

61. Add my ouchs to the rest. I hope you feel better soon. Thanks for the inspirational books.

62. I spent awy too much time with the dentist from Dec until spring this year. My sympathies to you – but the PCN will surely help as will the pain killers. Remember, alternate Tylenol with Motrin for great pain control!

The gansey is really coming along and is quite pretty!

63. I’m jealous of your auto mileage. We have 2 cars that are 7.5 years old. One has 240,000 miles on it and the other – 140,000! Too much burning gas and sitting on the ass.