1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Girasole

I did indeed finish Girasole yesterday. Here it is, in all its glory:

girasolecomplete062109 medium 240x159 Girasole

Note that there is no small furry animal reclining on it. Lucy plopped herself down on it when I first laid it out, but by the time I was ready to snap a photo she had gotten bored and wandered off.

Project Specs:

Pattern: Girasole, by Jared Flood
Yarn: Indigo Moon fingering weight merino in the “MyroGreen Lite” colorway
Needles: 4mm (U.S. size 6)

I knit the pattern exactly as written and found no problems whatsoever with the pattern. It’s well-written and easy-to-follow and there’s nothing too difficult in any of the lace patterns. An adventuresome lace beginner ought to be able to knit it.

girasole062209 160x240 Girasole

The fingering weight sized Girasole calls for 1150 yards. I purchased 4 skeins of my yarn at 370 yards per skein. I used exactly 3.5 skeins of the yarn, so assuming the yardage per skein was correctly stated (and I’ve no reason to believe it wasn’t), I used a total of 1295 yards for my Girasole, 145 yards more than the pattern called for.

girasolecenter062209 240x160 Girasole

Now, I am a loose knitter knitter but instead of going down a couple of needle sizes, I did use the recommended needle size for fingering weight yarn — the 4mm needle. I didn’t bother to check my gauge as it’s a lace piece. And my Girasole blocked out to about 60″ in diameter, rather than the 51″ stated in the pattern, so that’s likely why I used more yarn.

girasoleedge062209 240x160 Girasole

Speaking of blocking, I did not wet-block this. I steam-pressed it. I started in the center and worked my way out until I got to the edge, pulling out the tips of the edging as I went around. This worked very well and I got a nice even circle, even though it might look a little uneven in the first photo above, which was taken at a bit of an angle because I didn’t feel like climbing up on the coffee table to take a birds-eye view photo.

In Other News

I’ve decided to abandon (at least for now) the small gansey I have been working on. I’m not happy with it for reasons I can’t exactly explain and I can’t get enthusiastic about working on it, so it has been shelved.

I did start a new sock, but I’ll talk about that tomorrow!

Lucy Sez

lucy062209 240x160 Girasole

“Eh. I didn’t want this dumb ol’ shawl anyway.”

ETA: I was safe at home when the D.C. subway collision occurred this afternoon. Thank you for your concern for my well-being!

Comments

1. What does one do with a Girasole? Wear it? Use it as a throw? It’s beautiful! I’m trying to picture its intended purpose (other than as a cat blanket!)

2. Fabulous. And awesome green!!

3. I thought pattern was easy to follow. I did have issues with cast on using lace weight yarn (yeah I know instructions said fingering). It would have been easier with fingering weight. Next time I’ll know better.

southparknitter (aka Timmie!)s last blog post..On the go

4. Frances says:

Your Girasole is fabulous!

5. Gorgeous! Motivation for finishing my own circular lace shawl that I’ve lost my momentum on.

Emilys last blog post..Nupp Zombie!

6. Beautiful…I was wondering in hours approximately..how long did it take for you to knit?? Seems like it was only a few days…anyway…Kittys never want what they can have..only what they can’t…

7. That is some of the prettiest yarn I’ve ever seen! Love that varied green. Beautiful shawl!

8. Very lovely!!!!!!! I’m going to ask a stupid question. I have only knit one triangular shawl and only a couple of scarves in my life-time of knitting. When you “wear” a circular shawl, do you fold it over in half and drape it around your shoulders? Just curious about the useability of a circular shawl and how it’s worn.

Elizabeths last blog post..Hazy, Lazy Days of Summer…..

9. It’s beautiful! It almost makes me want to cast on my own Girasole right away…but this Piggy is still lace-shy. :-)

yarnpiggys last blog post..Piggy’s wee splurge

10. Carolyn says:

Absolutely stunning! Enjoy it.

11. W-O-W!! Gorgeous!!!

12. You are amazing! I’m still staring at my skeins of Malabrigo Fingering and the pattern. I think you’ve encouraged me to at least get a hank wound and ready for use. Maybe I’ll even cast on.

Yours is gorgeous by the way. I don’t comment often but I’m always lurking. :)

Tammys last blog post..Distractions Part 2: The Summer Cardigan

13. Absolutely gorgeous!!! I can’t wait to start mine again (once I am home and
    alone that is)

14. Shirley. in PA says:

Beautiful! You are an inspiration to us all.

15. So quick! From what you’ve blogged in the last week or so, Girasole has been pretty much the only project getting time on the needles, so it isn’t really that much of a surprise but still amazing!

(and I really shouldn’t be surprised, because I’m almost done a cross-stitch piece in just about 3 weeks which is really good for cross-stitch)

Seanna Leas last blog post..pretty in pink!

16. I saw your Girasole last night on Ravelry – beautiful!

I’m glad to see you posting Wendy – MSNBC is running a banner right now that there has been a fatality in a collision between two DC Metro trains!

17. Fabulous! I’m in total awe. Congratulations!

melanies last blog post..Happy First Day of Summer!

18. patricia says:

Thanks for the encouragement- I’ll put on my “adventuresome lace beginner ” socks and go cracking on. It is beautiful- I like the funky foto angle.

19. It’s gorgeous and I love the colour… If Lucy is anything like my cats, she’ll find ways to get on the shawl later on… probably right before you want to wear it

Valeries last blog post..Profiles of Nature

20. It’s beautiful, Wendy. I love how subtle the colors are. Great choice of yarn.

I know I’ve told myself “I’ll never knit a shawl”, but I’m seriously reconsidering this silly comment. The only lace I’ve knit so far has been the Feb. Lady Sweater, so I’m hoping I can handle Girasole. I’ve already purchased the pattern, looking it over, and following comments on the Loopy Group Girasole KAL on Ravelry. I will probably take the plunge this fall/winter.

Thanks for the added inspiration!

JoAnns last blog post..Monkey Off My Back

21. I also was listening to the news and had to run to my computer to check on you. I am so glad you posted today, as I know you ride the commuter train into DC. Lucy, take good care of your mommy for us! Be safe.

22. Ohhh, so beautiful!

I’m not quite ready to be a lace knitter, but I can feel it coming closer (I did the same thing with socks), so perhaps I should put this on my Ravelry list so I don’t forget. Thanks for the inspiration!

ccr in MAs last blog post..Yeah. Still sick.

23. I also listened to the news and had to check and make sure you are okay. Seeing your post, makes me feel better, since I know you ride the commuter train. Your Girasole is fabulous. I am knitting the blanket. working on chart D. Take care!

24. I had to fire up my computer as well to make sure that you were okay after seeing the news. Glad to know that you are okay!

25. HeatherB says:

Absolutely gorgeous! Gotta check my stash and see if I have 1200-1300 yds of fingering weight.
    ;- )

26. I was very happy to see “Wendy Knits” highlighted on my bloglines after reading about the train accident.

Gorgeous Girasole!

Kays last blog post..Blogging

27. Beautiful shawl! Glad to hear you’re OK – I was worried there when I heard of the accident!
    Pat

28. Beautiful! Yep, this was the first place I surfed after seeing the news of the train crash. Very sad for those involved, very relieved to see you are home safe with Ms. Lucy.

29. The shawl is beautiful. Thanks for giving the measurements for it. I’ve been wondering how big the fingering version can be. I’m also glad you posted today. I was worried for you when I heard about the subway crash.

30. Beautiful!!!

31. So glad you are safe. I have one colleague who left early and the others in DC office think he took the Red Line. No one can get him on the cell phone so we are worried. Your shawl is beautiful as always.

Kim B.s last blog post..Knitting in Public

32. Beautiful Girasole! How did you add in new balls of yarn? How do you weave in / hide your ends from adding new yarn?

You always inspire – and I was surprised but pleased to know that you would work on more than one project at a time – and not just commute v. home projects. You give me hope that I might well finish all of the WIPs.

Heidis last blog post..Knittin’ and Teachin’ Knittin’ and Stuff

33. TY for posting the pattern.Now I see it’s beauty, :)

34. The colors seem to kind of swirl – how pretty.

35. Your girasole is beautiful. I just got to Chart E on mine and have had to tink it back once. Hopefully this time I’ll succeed.

I must say, my heart jumped into my thoat when I heard about the train crash worrying about you and my other friends/co-workers in the DC area. So far, you are the only one I know is safe from harm.

36. Debra in NC says:

You are the only person I know that’s up in that area, and of course, I just had to rush here to check on you! I’m so glad that you are safe, and so sorry about this tragic accident.

37. Glad you are safe, Wendy and LOVE the girasol! LOVE! :)
    xo

38. Elizabeth in NC says:

Glad to hear you are OK; you were my first thought when I read the news about the collision. Girasole looks lovely too!

39. That is really beautiful. I am glad you are okay. I thought about you when I heard about the train collision.

Suzannes last blog post..Happy Solstice!

40. As soon as I saw the news of the accident I thought of you and had to check your blog. Glad you were not involved.
    Your girasole is beautiful. You are a amazingly fast knitter!

41. margieinmaryland says:

Lovely Girasole…. and you had to be at least 30 miles away from where the collision took place

42. I’ve been out of touch for a year, after today’s news, I couldn’t get here fast enough. I’m relieved to see a post of your beautiful shawl ending with your beloved Lucy♥ Time to start devoting time to the great art of blogging once again.

Carols last blog post..Can’t think of one…

43. Wendy dear, Thank You for adding your ETA this evening. I didnt want to have to bug you by email. As with everything you knit, your Girasole is lovely and inspiring. Please keep well. <3 Tola

44. Oh, thank goodness – as soon as I saw that on Yahoo news, I came here to see if you had posted!!!

(Girasole is lovely, btw!)

45. BEAUTIFUL! So fun to see it done. And – one of the benefits of not watching the news until 10 pm is that I hadn’t heard about the collision, so I didn’t have to worry about you. But I’m glad to know you’re ok before I hear about it later tonight.

Sheri at The Loopy Ewes last blog post..Do or Be?

46. So glad you’re okay!

Julias last blog post..Postcard from the Edge

47. First thing I did was check here when I heard about the crash. Glad you are ok…sympathies with all those injured and their families.

Cheryls last blog post..Welcome Back Me!!!

48. When I heard about the train collision in D.C. i thought of Wendy Glad you are o.k.
    and that Girasole is just so pretty now I ca’nt , wait to start mine. Jean

49. CONGRATULATIONS–IT’S BEAUTIFUL~ GREAT COLOR. UNDERSTAND THE FEELING WITH THE GANSEY~HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A “CUFF TO CUFF” SWEATER FOR MY GRANDAUGHTER~CAN’T WAIT TO SEE THE NEW SOCK!! GLAD YOU’RE SAFE AT HOME!!

50. As soon as I saw the news about the DC metro trains I went directly here to check on you!! So glad you were safe and snug!! I love the girasole! I am doing mine in a Fleece Artist yarn. Can you tell me exactly how do you pronounce “girasole”? Hugs to Lucy!!

51. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I thought of you when I heard about the DC train collision. I remember you blogging about getting up and getting to work very early, so I thought you’d already be home, but I’m glad to know for sure that you’re safe.

I love your Girasole. I just fiished Chart D on mine–it’s addicting!

52. Ok, I give in. I am adding this pattern to my queue. Yours is beautiful

Lizs last blog post..Finished one and Restarted Another

53. Theresa in Italy says:

Just woke up to the news of the DC train collision so I’m relieved to know you’re safe and sound (although the fact that you posted should have been enough evidence)! Your Girasole came out beautifully! I especially love the lacy effect at the center—think I’m going to follow your example there and not bother messing around with the circular cast-on.

54. Your Girasole is stunning! Beautiful work – just gorgeous, and I love, Love, LOVE the way the colors spiral outward in the center. Breathtaking.

Miss Knottys last blog post..AlpacaFarmGirl’s Fiber Arts Fridays!

55. annalilly says:

The colors in the shawl remind me of sunshine shimmering on a pond in summer — so “comforting”. You did a beautiful job!

56. The first thing I made as I heard about the train collision in Washington on the radio has been connecting to the internet and checking your blog/facebook/plurk sites – I am enlightened and happy that you’re safe.
    Your Girasole looks great! I am thinking about knitting one myself – but I am not sure about its use….. should it be a shawl?? An afghan? A decoration??…..

57. how exactly do you wear a circular shawl anyway? Do you fold it to drape over your shoulders?

58. Congrats on finishing your lovely Girasole.

You’re right – I was concerned about you when I read of the subway smash-up. I’m glad you were home. You’ll probably have a ucky commute for many days to come. Oh, that’s right – knitting time! :-)

Barbara-Kays last blog post..Who, me?

59. Oh, that’s good news! I was thinking of you and hoping you were ok. I heard it was Maryland, and figured you were all right. Although – it’s still so very sad to hear about all those who were caught up in the accident. :(

It’s lovely projects like your Girasole that give me second thoughts about attempting lace! I’m such a keener… :D

Brigittes last blog post..Settling In

60. Celaine says:

I heard of the train accident in DC and thought of you at once and checked your blog until you posted and Iknew you were fine. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but he doesn’t know bloggers and their friends!

61. Tanneke says:

I love your girasole in all the ways I can think of.

62. What a lovely shawl! I’m glad you avoided the collision.

63. Love the shawl-It is knitting perfection on every level!

Cindys last blog post..Birthday Bill!

64. Muriel Correa says:

Well I think it looks absolutely beautiful. As always, you’ve done an outstanding job!

65. Susie B says:

Love the shawl. You were the first thing I thought about when I heard about the trains. Glad to know you were home with Lucy.

66. cecilia says:

I also thought of you and am glad to hear that you are ok. Beautiful shawl. cecilia

67. I am happry to see that the hand dyed yarn did not take away from its beauty.

68. Michele In Maine says:

thank goodness for your early in/early out working schedule!

Girasole is wonderful – great color variations.

69. You ride a different Metro line, don’t you? I was glad you did when I heard about the crash. My husband, however, works near Takoma station and had employees who quite possibly could have been on that train, so his whole workplace activated their alert system to verify that everybody was okay, and he spent an hour telephoning around. So far so good (fingers crossed). And I used to ride that stretch of the Red Line every day, so it really brought home how random life can be. Such a tragedy.

Your Girasole is lovely! Even if Lucy doesn’t like it any more, she’s probably the only one!

70. I agree with Liz. I guess I’ll have to make this thing after all…… :)

Glad you are safe!

Danieles last blog post..Sock Crock Pot Revisited…..

71. Your Girasole is lovely. Thanks for rating the difficulty. I’m a beginner/intermediate knitter and when I see a lovely project I’m not sure whether I should even consider tackling it.

Judy Bs last blog post..UFO’s

72. ETA response – - – THANK GOODNESS!!!!!

73. Wendy, you are amazing! I need some of your supersonic knitting mojo. I am in the middle of Chart C on the girasole and will keep going. I think I can, I think I can!

I said a prayer for you yesterday afternoon when I first heard about the terrible commuter train crash. I thought for certain you were safely home since you go to work before the chickens get up. So glad to know you are ok.

74. Ruth Ann says:

The shawl is beautiful. Lucy would have stayed had you chosen a shade of blue. Glad you are safe.

75. Your shawl is so beautiful! The colors are amazing. I am in awe of lace knitters, i can only do the simplest lace without miscounting. Glad you are safe.

Merediths last blog post..Feels like 110!

76. Glad you were okay with the collision. I figure that must be the case when I saw that it was on the Maryland side…and you’ve mentioned that you are in Virginia…but it was still nice to see that you were ok.

77. Girasole = Gorgeous! Love it!
    Your photos are tempting – but what would be even better is if someone made it for me (hint! hint!). My birthday is Friday – and the color you chose is perfect for me! Tee- hee – just teasing you. It is gorgeous – that is not a tease.

Am glad you are safe. Prayers went out for everyone when I heard about this horrific crash.

danielles last blog post..Laundry Day

78. Kristin says:

Oh thank goodness you’re OK. As a long time reader of your blog, you were the first person I thought of when I heard about the train collision on the news. I’m so glad to know you’re all right! :)

79. Love the finished Girasole – I can image it will be nice a cozy come the cooler months.

80. yes, I agree with all of the above. Glad you’re safe, and I love how the colors pinwheel out. I saw a girasole knitted in a solid color and that one really shows off the sunflower center, but yours has depth. Now I must also join the girasole fan club and get one on the needles. Thanks for all your inspiration! (my first lace-pattern socks are almost finished!)

81. I was fairly certain you didn’t do the Red line, so I wasn’t overly worried. Glad to know you were safe, and my heart goes out to those injured and killed.
    Girasole is beautiful!
    ((((hugs))))

Knitnanas last blog post..Joce Is a "Bad" Influence! *wink*

82. I’ve been out of the country for a few days and when I was sitting in Salt Lake City’s airport and heard about the DC train collision, one of my first thoughts was I wish I had my computer so I could check your blog! Your Girasole is beautiful…maybe I should cave and try a lace project.

83. It’s stunning Wendy, congratulations

Karolines last blog post..Americana Sewing Case

84. I have been inspired to begin my own girasole. I bought the pattern last year but could not decide on the fiber. Today I found a lovely deep purple aran weight cascade. I ordered it and will begin one of these days. Maybe in the autumn when my daughter leaves for school, to console myself.

85. I cannot believe how fast you knit that up! It took me three months to finish mine! Of course, I’ve been working crazy hours lately, so that hasn’t given me a lot of time to knit. But still.. jealous!

Laura Bireks last blog post..Girasole – finished!

86. That is gorgeous! Congrats on amazing work!