1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

On and On and On

That’s where I am on my as yet unnamed circular shawl. Knitting on and on and on.

Shawl071309 240x160 On and On and On

I have done the last set of increases so I am now up to 576 stitches around, so each round is taking a lo-o-ong time to complete. I did make some progress over the weekend, though, even though I did no knitting at all on Saturday as I was busy teaching classes. And very little knitting yesterday, come to think of it.

Since I didn’t bother to swatch, and I changed my mind about a couple of the stitch patterns after I started knitting, I don’t have a really clear idea of how good this will look once it is off the needles and blocked. I picked lace patterns that (to me at least) seem to go together, so hopefully the end result will be more or less pleasing to the eye. But I won’t really know until it’s off the needles and spread out.

I’m betting I’ll be working on this for at least another week, so I have at least a week of suspenseful knitting ahead of me.

I’ve got some of this going on:

Shawla071309 240x160 On and On and On

And some of this:

Shawlb071309 240x160 On and On and On

And some of this:

Shawlc071309 240x160 On and On and On

And on the back of the couch, I have one of these:

Lucy071309 240x160 On and On and On

Comments

1. Paulette says:

It looks beautiful so far!!

2. I love the shawl and what you have on the back of the couch.
    .-= southparknitter (aka Timmie!)´s last blog ..On the go =-.

3. Okay, so now I have Stephen Bishop’s song, “On and On” in my head – thanks! But hey, maybe there’s a name for you – The Bishop Shawl? :-)
    .-= Tammy/DarthKnitter´s last blog ..Huh? =-.

4. Loverly

5. Love the shawl, patterns are beautiful, also the color. Love the fur piece on the back of the sofa.

6. Well, those elements all seem to work well together, so the result will probably be really nice.

What will you do if it you take it off the needles and don’t really like how it looks?
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..sometimes the internet is full of stupid =-.

7. It’s going to be beautiful. All the designs seem to be working with each as far as I can see. Anxious to see the finished shawl! Love the color—Lucy’s blue eyes!!! Hey, there’s a name for you “Lucy Blue Eyes Shawl” ;)
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Another Completed Project….. =-.

8. If you decide you don’t like it when it’s all done I do know of a place that would happily give it a home… But fat chance that will happen as I’m sure it will be beautiful :)
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Life is Good =-.

9. I love what I see so far!

10. ChristyH says:

Did I see the cover of your new book already over there on the side?

11. Those lace patterns look to me like they will work together quite well — the v-shapes and short diagonals and all. Plus, that is such gorgeous yarn…
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..Oh, the wonders you can find. =-.

12. The patterns look great together, but the furry part on the back of the couch is the most beautiful! Blue points and one seal point :)

13. You are on the last corner of the shawl race now………it is beautiful! Any idea of the size this will block out to?
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Great Day! =-.

14. I like the part on the back of the couch best, but the other 3 patterns really do seem to work together well. I can’t wait to see the finished shawl.

15. This is totally off your topic, but I wanted to share with you I ordered the Wen cleansing conditioner after reading about it here on your blog. After just one use I’m so very impressed! My fine, thinning hair looks better then it has in years! I’m certain it will only continue to improve with using the product. Thank you for yet another awesome tip!
    They say it’s safe for use on pets, have you tried it on Lucy?

16. The colors are lovely. I’ve looked at some of the circular shawl patterns but I don’t think I have the patience this summer to start one.

17. I love the shawl, can’t wait to see it finished – but the main reason for my comment today…..That has to be the sweetest picture of Lucy ever. I was originally drawn to your blog for the knitting, but stayed and returned because of the cat (though I am now a sock knitter, of sorts). I have been honored to “host” 5 seal points in my 49 years; for folks who do not know, you do not “own” a Siamese of Himalayan – you serve them or host them!! They are the most regal, most beautiful cats! I love the idea of a Lucy shawl, as the blue def. reminds me of Siamese eyes – Lucy’s Lace? Lucy Blue? Can’t wait to see it. Bet Lucy can’t wait to shed on it!

18. Kathy Sue says:

It is interesting that the patterns are all similar enough, but the textures are so different. It is my kind of pattern– lots of variety. It does seem that the blue might be the same as Lucy’s eyes.Can’t wait to see it finished.

19. Very lovely work…I love this type of knitting though it feels like forever…
    .-= Vicky´s last blog .. =-.

20. Theresa in Italy says:

The lace patterns look like they will play together nicely, and the yarn is so beautiful no one will notice if they don’t, so it’s bound to be a beautiful shawl. And Lucy steals the show as always.

21. Cindy Upholzer says:

I have always wanted to knit a circular shawl but have not found a pattern that I wanted to invest that time. Now I see the one I want to do. Keep us posted on the incredible work.

22. the patterns seem to go . . . . . what a perfect back of the couch ornament!

23. Lucy is a placeholder for the finished shawl.

24. The more work you do on that shawl, the more I’m reminded of the ocean. The combination of the lovely blue color you’re using and the repeated chevrons (that look like wave peaks to me) really make it lovely.

25. The lace designs make me think of arrow heads or spears.
    My ragdoll Sophie Purrl send love to your Lucy.

26. Love the colours!
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Heading to Canada =-.

27. It’s going to be good!!
    .-= Daniele´s last blog ..Nanners, Malina and Gallbladders…. =-.

28. My first preference is what is on the back of the couch! Ear scrunchies to Lucy. As for the shawl, I think the combination of stitch patterns you selected is lovely. And the yarn is not solid but does not overwhelm the stitch patterns. I think/hope when you are finished you will be very pleased with your finished product. I love shawls in the round and right now am still doing the Pi Shawl…so I know what you mean by taking a long time to do one row. I hope if you like this pattern your are designing it becomes available for purchase from you site.
    .-= Kim B.´s last blog ..New Knitting Projects =-.

29. Elizabeth Bragdon says:

My kitty likes to sleep on the back of the couch, too.