1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

The Long and Winding Edging

After posting to the blog yesterday I did a few chore-type things, and then settled down for a couple-three hours of edging knitting. Here is how far I got:

Shawl72009 240x160 The Long and Winding Edging

I believe that is less than one-fourth of the total edging, possibly as little as one-fifth or one-sixth. I don’t want to look too closely and depress myself with how little I’ve done. What I really need to complete it is a weekend dedicated to nothing but edging knitting. Since today is Monday, and I’ll be away this upcoming weekend, that’s not going to happen. So I’ll just do a bit each evening.

The good news is that I winkled up a very simple edging so I quickly memorized it, thus speeding up the knitting.

Edging072009 240x160 The Long and Winding Edging

I’m not taking it on my commute because it has gone beyond the point where I deem a project portable. So I cast on something for commuter knitting.

NewShawl072009 240x160 The Long and Winding Edging

It’s another shawl, also my own design. While it is a circular shawl, the construction differs from that of my other shawl.

The blue one is constructed like a pi shawl — based on the mathematical principal of “pi.” The circle doubles its circumference on one round and doubles the distance between the increase rounds: 3, 6, 12, 24, 48 round, etc.

This new shawl is constructed in a spiral. It is divided into sections and you increase one stitch in each section on every other round. By doing the increases on one side of each section only, it forms a spiral. Cool, huh?

I am using Dream in Color Smooshy, which is a fingering weight yarn, in the “Shiny Moss” colorway. I’m using a US size 5 needle to make a lacy but not too lacy fabric.

This is a design I have dreamed up in my own little fevered brain, so I’m sort of working out the kinks as I go along. So far, so good!

Here, just for fun, is a video of Lucy

Lucy Sez

Lucy072009 240x164 The Long and Winding Edging

“How embarrassing!”

Comments

1. taking a break from sock knitting are we? no worries lucy we love you no matter what mommy puts on the internet for all of your adoring fans to see.

2. deknits says:

Can’t wait to see the new shawl as it grows – a spiral of increases will be cool!

3. Oh but Lucy is soooooo purr-ty! She must have hellacious hairballs!!
    .-= Kathleen Kennedy´s last blog ..Such Is Real Life =-.

4. I love the idea of a spiral shawl — I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

5. Shirley. in PA says:

Love the video of Lucy taking a bath – she is just gorgeous! Your shawl looks good too.

6. Interesting shawl idea – I look forward to seeing it grow.

where are you going to be next weekend?
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Yet Another Start! =-.

7. It’s looking gorgeous! Keep at it. An Lucy is lovely as always!
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Oh Baby! =-.

8. Pretty Lucy.

9. linda-kay says:

Hey Wendy…………….when do you ever sleep or do you dream in lace fantasy land? Each shawl is so beautiful. Love that green Smooshy yarn.

10. Sure hope these lovely circular shawls will become patterns for purchase very soon.
    .-= Sue Johnson´s last blog ..Adding to the List =-.

11. Please tell Lucy that Little Slick found her video very exciting. He had a few other comments as well, but they are a little too racy to post here.

Ps – Could you please give us some yardage requirements for some of these circ shawl patterns? I might maybe need to stash up enough yarn for 2 or three, ahead of time so I am ready to cast on once you publish! My Emily is empty at the moment and needs to be fed!

12. I Love Lucy!! too cute although I felt like coughing just looking at her lick that fur! LOL

Love your shawls…great job.

13. Lucy and Wendy,

My two Ragdolls (Neko and Dixie Lee), are incessant groomers, especially in the morning. Unfortunately, due to DeeLee’s advanced age (13), her grooming is often followed by a hairball.
    NEKO, the young one (7 1/2) has a stronger stomach. Her hairballs are far and few between…or they are well hidden and I’ve yet to discover a lot of them.

14. Oh Lucy, you are regal!
    .-= Milly´s last blog ..Introducing…… =-.

15. Maureen says:

Aww, loved the video. It’s been too long since I found a furball in my underwear drawer. One of these days I’m going to stop at the cat rescue place and bring home my own Lucy.

16. christine says:

No Lucy no reason to be embarrased. Being a lady you must keep your self beautiful at all times….

17. Just watching Lucy makes me feel like I have cotton in my mouth. Ugh!

18. So THAT’s how pi shawls work! I’ve been trying to figure them out based on very vague descriptions from other people, but must have had a mental block the whole time. But what you said made sense, and I’m going to have to give them a try some day! (Just as soon as I can get more circular needles to make it work, of course. :D)
    .-= Ria´s last blog ..Moving on ahead! =-.

19. mwknitter says:

what a gorgeous girl – hard work cleaning all that long fur!

20. Theresa in Italy says:

Aw, pretty Lucy! I’m also curious as to yarn requirements for these beautiful shawls of yours. Thank you for explaining the construction techniques, too. Looking forward to when the spiral shawl is a bit bigger and we can get a good look at it—I’m sure it will be beautiful.

21. Oh, I am as green as the shawl with jealousy! I need to make a shawl but I am going to finish this one first. (Yes, I am one of those who finishes one project before starting the next!)
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Blogiversary GIVE-AWAY! =-.

22. Neat new shawl idea. It is so much fun to watch your creations in the making.
    Watching Lucy grooming makes me appreciate showering all the more, despite having to scrub tile, my least favorite housework chore.

23. Funny…that’s just what my cat was doing while I was watching yours!! And I can’t wait to see both shawls blocked out. Will you be making the patterns available??

24. If I were a gambler, I’d say you’re working on another book “Gonna Go ‘Round In Circles.” (If you aren’t but want to, you can use the title. ;) )

I really like the Shawl-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and I hope you will make the pattern available. (Although I’d hate to have to wait for the book!)

Andrea

25. Thanks for the info on how a pi shawl works and a spiral shawl as well. I love to look as them, and the construction is facinating, but I would never knit one – wouldn’t wear it and would feel guilty about leaving it lying around. Back to socks and sweaters.

Lucy is lovely, but I am so glad Moo is a shorthair. No hairballs.

26. Poor Lucy. All that grooming must be hard work!

I’ve made a Pi Shawl (the original uber simple one), and started what I’ve always called a pinwheel style shawl. I like the look of both, but I think it would be harder to think of motifs to go into a pinwheel style shawl. Any tips for placing motifs into a spiral?
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..running through the blanket =-.

27. I’m loving the spiral shawl as much as the pi! Anything that looks like pinwheels get’s my vote! You are very good at this circular shawl thing, Wendy!! Maybe that should be the next book????? just sayin! Wendy Knits’ SHAWLS!! WOOOOOO… ;)
    .-= Daniele´s last blog ..Sleeves! and the great Cuff-Down Smack-Down.. =-.

28. Gretcheng says:

Zounds, another sock book and now all these shawls! I’ll never know how you get it all done. I’m still working on my first Girasole (blanket size), and yes, the edging sure takes some time. I’m looking forward to seeing your shawls blocked out, though they also look pretty good scrunched up!

29. You inspired me to Join the Girasole KAL on ravelry, and I’m now totally intritugued with round shawls! of course I’m still on a 16″ circ. needle with my girasole, but so far it’s a very enjoyable knit. I like the idea of a spiral. You will make the pattern available to the rest of us, yes?

30. Giggle! What a good little groomer that Lucy is. And I like that “shiny moss” color. I didn’t know about that one yet!

31. Love love love that little miss, Lucy! I can tell that her mommy brushes her lots too.
    I’ve just bought your book and am looking forward to try toe-up socks!

32. Lynette says:

If the Smooshy color is even remotely close to what it is on my monitor, I gotta get me some. That mossy green is fabulous!

Lynette (and Izzy)

33. Jo Morgan says:

I loved the “she grows” line in your post — a reference to The Crucible?