1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Names

If you read this blog at my site instead of in a feed reader or via email, you may have noticed, by glancing at the work-in-progress box immediately above the daily content, that I’ve gone on a naming frenzy. Yes, both shawls in progress now have names.

The blue shawl I am close to completing shall henceforth be known as The Exonumist’s Shawl.

You may wonder how I came up with such a name.

Someone used the word “medallion” to describe this shawl in yesterday’s comments. “Cool,” thought I. “I can call it The Medallion Shawl. Well, of course there are eleventy-billion knitting patterns with “Medallion” in their name, some of them shawls.

I starting thinking about medallions and my thoughts turned to tokens, medals, coins, etc. The work exonumia is used to describe coin-like objects, and an exonumist is a collector of exonumia.

While all this may seem a bit pedantic (I’m afraid I am a bit of a pedant), the word struck my fancy, so the name will stick.

Here is the current state of The Exonumist’s Shawl:

Shawl072209 240x160 Names

As you can see, the end of the edging is almost in sight. I made much better progress than I expected last night.

Shawl072209c 240x160 Names

Shawl072209b 240x160 Names

Shawl072209a 240x160 Names

On to the spiral shawl. This one I am calling The Order to Chaos Shawl. The reasoning behind this name is not quite so convoluted. Here’s the progress so far:

Spiral072209 240x180 Names

And here’s a close-up:

Spiral072209a 240x180 Names

The body of the shawl is worked in tidy diagonal lines out from the center to a certain point. At that point, the neat lines (the order) taper off and a field of flowers (the chaos) is introduced. Hence the name.

More pattern hi-jinks will ensue. Stay tuned

Lucy Sez:

Lucy072209 240x121 Names

“I’m glad my momma named me Lucy. Clearly, it could have been a lot worse.”

Comments

1. I love The Exonumist’s Shawl, and the name tickles my own inclination to pedantry! :)
    .-= Constance´s last blog ..Miscellania (pic heavy) =-.

2. Both shawls are gorgeous, but I especially love the Order to Chaos! I love the color, I love the swirls and cannot wait to see the next pattern unfold.
    I hope both of these patterns will be available! (Right – like I need an excuse to buy more yarn…)

3. They are both just gorgeous, Wendy!
    .-= Liz R´s last blog ..FINALLY =-.

4. Vanessa says:

Pedantry can be fun! Both shawls are quite lovely. The Order to Chaos is my personal favorite, too.

5. Oh I love the order to chaos. I may have missed it but where will we be able to get these when they are available? What weight of yarn are you knitting Order to Chaos in?

6. Love the concept of Order to Chaos.

Add to future queue.

7. Dr. Jackie says:

Oh, it doesn’t matter what you call them….they’re all lovely. And I will have to knit my own copies of all of them! Maybe your next after the next book can be “Wendy’s Circular Shawls With Unusual Names”. I’d buy it!

8. I can’t wait to see the rest of the Order to Chaos shawl. Looks like one I may need the pattern for!

9. I admit I ran to look up the meaning of Exonumist before I even read on down. Thought I was just too dumb to know the meaning, felt a little better when I read you had defined it. I do love it and I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the pattern. xoxo
    .-= Stacy´s last blog ..Under Siege well in my own mind anyway =-.

10. Alex Fagelson says:

I like the Order to Chaos shawl. Looking forward to seeing how it evolves. Have you seen Yarnover.net’s Kunststrik.dk doilies? They look like they’d make nice shawls.

11. I must ask if you keep a step ladder in the living room so you can photograph from “on high”, else how would you give us shots like today’s of The Exonumist’s Shawl?

I love the look of it and the Order from Chaos – you’re giving me ideas about the yarn in stash. I have a couple that might have enough yards…
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Yet Another Start! =-.

12. They are both gorgeous. I hope the pattern for the Exonumist Shawl will be available to purchase when you have time to chart and write it. Keeping knitting, please…you inspire me! Hugs to Lucy.
    .-= Kim B.´s last blog ..New Knitting Projects =-.

13. OMG! They are both beautiful. I guess I have to start a folder called WDJ’s shawls to go with the WJD’s Socks.

PS. I’m doing my Girasole in Dream in Color Smooshy (Butterpeeps). Ain’t it grand?!?

Gerry
    Rav ID: Uglysock
    .-= Gerry O’N´s last blog ..Stash_CTH_CountryGarden_w_Effie =-.

14. I really love the “Order of Chaos” shawl. Will these shawls be published?
    .-= Andrea´s last blog .. =-.

15. Oh I love the Exonumist Shawl. I love the patterns. Lovely!

16. Linda in Dallas says:

Love the name! A word as luxurious as the object. And thanks for posting the funny videos. I hope to see you in Oklahoma when you come next time!

17. Samantha says:

I love all the names, but I especially love Lucy’s comment. Not that I’m agreeing =D but it made me laugh.

18. I love the word play. The shawls are both gorgeous, and so is Lucy. Her quote made me giggle.
    .-= pdxknitterati´s last blog ..Same, same…but different =-.

19. All well and good, Ms. Wendy, but be sure to make it a checkmark for ordering. If we are required to spell correctly, you can just forget me ordering the pattern;–P
    .-= CindyCindy´s last blog ..I don’t want to jinx it. =-.

20. That Lucy is such a smart kitty. :-)
    .-= Kay´s last blog ..Ten on Tuesday =-.

21. Both are beautiful – I can’t wait to see them blocked and stretched out in all their glory!
    .-= Sheri at The Loopy Ewe´s last blog ..Knitting Groups and a CONTEST! =-.

22. Use big words around us, and our vocabularies will improve.

DH and I never did spell in front of the children, but we did use pachyderm instead of elephant, for instance. When their vocabulary included pachyderm, we went on to foreign languages. That’ll teach them! :-)
    .-= Barbara-Kay´s last blog ..A Quiet Weekend =-.

23. Great names! Leave ordinary names for ordinary shawls! And the blue one does look a bit like the back of an old Roman coin or something along those lines…

24. I love the name of both shawls! Can’t wait until the patterns are ready!
    .-= Edna´s last blog ..Some things… =-.

25. I’m very intrigued by the chaos shawl! You are one clever cookie.

26. Theresa in Italy says:

I love learning new words and both shawls are beautiful—what more could one wish for?

27. A new word for me, too. But it is growing familiar to my tongue-the shawls are incredible.
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Blogiversary GIVE-AWAY! =-.

28. Pam from Kansas says:

I just wish I knew how to pronounce it!

29. I love pedants – I even married one! Beautiful shawls. It may be time for me to knit another circular shawl.
    .-= Kathleen´s last blog ..Ten on Tuesday: 10 Favorite Places to Eat =-.

30. Gretcheng says:

Oh these look lovely! I especially like the spiral design, and both names are excellent. I’m glad you’re thinking throws/afghans instead of gossamer shawls, because that’s what I’d want to make as well. Good to know that these designs will work up well in thicker yarn whenever the patterns become available.

Oh great, one Girasole almost finished and now I’m hooked on knitting big circles!

31. The shawls and names are exquisite! ;)
    .-= Ina´s last blog ..Knitting instructions: How do you easily add colors to garter stitch? =-.

32. Oh, Lucy, you’re just the funniest!

33. I definitely like Order to Chaos as a name. It sounds like life.

The other name isn’t bad, but it mostly makes me calculate Scrabble points.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..slip slip bake =-.

34. Lucy’s response to your naming frenzy made me laugh.
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..What happens. =-.

35. Thanks so much for your interpretation! You’ve inspired me to create fun names from Latin words. Now my projects will have cool names! ;)