1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Now Available

Warning: Shameless self-promotion ahead.

Shawl072309A 160x240 Now Available

The Exonumist’s Shawl is now available for sale via download from my new Ravelry pattern shop. It costs $5.00, payable via Paypal and is delivered to you as a pdf download. If you are not on Ravelry, you can purchase it here:

buy now Now Available

I’ve put the link to the “Buy Now” button over in the left sidebar for now. If I add more patterns to the Ravelry shop, I’ll need to add a “patterns for sale” page, methinks.

To recap, this shawl is knit from a light fingering weight yarn (Ella Rae Lace Merino) on a US 4 (3.5mm) needle, at an unblocked gauge of 5 st/inch. I used just under 3 skeins at 460 yards per skein. I’m estimating 1380 – 1400 yards for the pattern.

Unblocked it is 45″ in diameter. You can block it out to at least 60″. To make it a bit larger, you can knit more rounds of the last body pattern (adjusting of course your yarn amounts.)

It is knit in the round, starting from a longtail cast-on in the center of the shawl.

On to the Shawl at Hand

Last night I transferred the Order to Chaos shawl from my 32″ needle to a 40″ needle, and took this photo mid-transfer.

WIP072809 240x160 Now Available

Ah, roomier!

I am hauling this bad boy to work with me every day to work on during the commute and during my lunch break. Bow down and worship the mighty air-conditioning, for without it my knitting progress would be almost non-existent.

So.

Last night I was ensconced on the couch, knitting along, and happened to glance down. This is what I saw:

Lucy072809 240x160 Now Available

It just cracks me up when she lies like that.

Lucy sez:

LucyA072809 240x235 Now Available

“Hey! What’s so funny?”

Comments

1. Awesome!

2. Your Exonumist Shawl is stunning and I’m admiring Order to Chaos. Of course, I am in awe of how you combine yarn and lace patterns so beautifully. I also am looking forward to your Toe Up Socks for Everybody and will enjoy Socks from the Toe Up in the mean time.

3. I have been waiting for your pattern to be available and I just downloaded it!!! Thank you so much. I seem to be on a shawl kick this summer also. The Order to Chaos is fabulous as well. Maybe there should be a Wendy Johnson Shawl group on Ravelry??? I am also doing your socks this summer. Quite a fan here!

4. Alex Fagelson says:

I like the panels coming off of the central star and am intrigued by the panels starting at the star’s points. Looking forward to seeing how it develops.

5. Lucy is so cute with her tummy up in the air. Do you know that my 3 little dogs do the same thing. Both shawls are magnificent.

6. Well, hey now, sometimes a girl just has to air out her tummy fluff!

I’m really liking how the Order to Chaos is coming along. Am I the only one who looks at circular shawls and thinks how great they’d look as a covering for a round table?

7. I had never planned to knit a circular shawl. Still don’t, really….. but I’ve got to get the pattern, because if I change my mind, it’ll be the Exonumists’s. And I will enjoy looking at the photo! It’s really gorgeous.

So’s Lucy, funny pose notwithstanding.

8. I love patterns – instant gratification and no shipping! I don’t know how you get any knitting done, though, with Lucy’s furry little kitty tummy waiting to be petted ;-)

9. Aww, Lucy! Go ahead and kill us with your cuteness, will you? :P

10. patricia says:

go ahead- be shameless- no warning needed! Gorgeous shawls! I’ll have to wait for winter to tackle a project like that. AC is scarce in E Washington (the state). Too hot to knit. Hot air rises just fine to my second floor apartment!

I think Lucy wants a belly rub!

11. I really like the Chaos shawl. A lot. Can’t wait for you to finish it. :)
    .-= Deinera´s last blog ..Home again =-.

12. Ha Ha … my cat sleeps like that sometimes too. She’s shameless!
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Regarding My Love Affair With a Design Notebook =-.

13. Debra I says:

On the doggy side of things, that’s a favorite sleeping position of one of my poodles.

I like the Order to Chaos shawl — looking forward to your next design steps. :)

14. Elizabeth H. says:

If you had to wear a fur coat 24/7, this time of year, you’d be prostrate too!
    Lucy’s adorable! Keep the pics coming.

15. Phyllis Grammer says:

being a former owner of 2 seal points for 16 yrs, I have to say that Lucy is a very personable cat! adorable, and the shawls, awesome!

16. Racing to the Ravelry store…….thank you for making it available so quickly!
    You are getting a designated shelf on the craft bookcase!
    .-= Cindy in FL´s last blog ..Vision Realized =-.

17. Oh it’s so pretty! I think I like how the green one is coming out though, will you have a pattern for that one?

18. Thanks for info on yardage. I’ve been yarn shopping.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..On the go =-.

19. Awh Lucy – so cute.

20. Thank you so much for all the beautiful designs you make. I was so happy to see The Exonumist’s Shawl pattern on Ralvery and have already purchased it. Thank you,thank you.

21. Just went on Ravelry and purchased The Exonumist’s Shawl pattern.

My puppy does the same thing showing her tummy to us. It’s only because they love us!

22. Ginger Klein says:

Hey. When your belly is that furry you have to do what you must to let the A/C get to it! I’m with you Lucy.
    Ginger, Mom to Murray (Himalayan) and Sumsum (Ragdoll) both furry belly boys.

23. anne marie in philly says:

meredith says: “cousin lucy, when I do that, my mommy says I am silly! but all I want is a soft belly rub! and I look all innocent and sweet too!”

24. Did you ever see that youtube video….cat, I am a kitty cat and I dance, dance, dance? That is what Lucy is singing in her head when she lays like that….

25. Just downloaded the shawl. I love it!!! Yarn on order from TLE. Please, please, please continue to design circular shawls. They are lovely, the patterns are top notch, and your designs just make me want to knit more. Thanks so much!
    .-= Sue Johnson´s last blog ..Adding to the List =-.

26. The shawl is breathtaking!

27. Hi Wendy! I always love the surprises that await me when I come back to your site after a wee bit of an absence (…stupid work…*grumble*…). :D Oh, that is just so lovely! I just love how one set of pattern repeats “flows” into the next. You may make a lace knitter out of me yet.

You know it’s hot out when the kitties shamelessly lie on their backs like that, hee hee!
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Sun Gods =-.

28. Theresa in Italy says:

Thanks so much for the lovely shawl pattern (I’ve already been to Ravelry and downloaded it)! I hear you on the air conditioning. There’s a definite lack of it over here, and we’re in the middle of a record heat wave. Not a lot of knitting happening until we get a break in the weather.

Our big dog also rolls over on his back like Lucy but I have to say she looks cuter in that position than he does…

29. Wendy- Really amazing shawl- good work.

Kitten Chow does that when it’s hot- we call it “airing his basket”. I guess Lucy doesn’t have a basket.
    .-= Lorraine´s last blog ..Press For Service =-.

30. Lucy, we call that kitteh yoga.
    .-= miss sandra´s last blog ..It’s Monday and 90 degrees =-.

31. My cats do the same thing particularly when they want attention. The shawl is absolutely gorgeous!!

32. always strikes me funny when my cat lies like that too! just seems like a position specifically for dogs :)

33. Lucy is adorable!
    .-= gecko´s last blog ..Nearly a year?! How did that happen?! =-.

34. Hey, if you were that furry, you’d be posing like Lucy, too! She’s just trying to get a little breeze on that belly fluff of hers. (And maybe tempt you to give her a few tickles.)

35. Funny??? Just hink that you are so cute and fluffy!!!
    My cat Sissela use to lie like that as well, just as fluffy as Lucy!
    //Maria

36. Lovely shawl–I just finished Girasole (wearing it today). I’m still trying to decide how I like wearing a circular shawl. It certainly has gotten some attention! My greyhound stretches out like your Lucy is sometimes–very funny!

37. Catherine says:

How many times could the last part be repeated (to make it larger) without increasing the number of stitches?

38. I love the shawl, but I find it irritating to keep the circular shawls on my shoulders. Do you think it would be difficult to change this instead to a divided shawl? I love the look, but can only imagine instead working it back and forth in rows while maintaining all of the other instructions.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..weekends in Quincy =-.

39. That Lucy is SOooooo beautiful and cute and funny and…you’re such a lucky mom!

40. Wendy, the design is just beautiful. Do you think this pattern could be used for a circular lace table cloth in a cotton blend yarn?