1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Order to Chaos

Stick a fork in it, for it is done.

ChaosandLucy080309 240x180 Order to Chaos

I finished the Order to Chaos Shawl last night at approximately 7:30 pm.

ChaosonMannquin080309 138x240 Order to Chaos

I used approximately 1500 yards of fingering weight yarn and a US 5 (3.75mm) needle. Specifically, I used Dream in Color Smooshy, in the “Shiny Moss” colorway.

ChaosCenter080309 240x160 Order to Chaos

As is my wont, I blocked this baby by steaming the living daylights out of it with my steam iron. Apologies to those of you who requested a YouTube video of said steaming process. I was by myself when I did this so was unable to film it.

Well, Lucy was with me, but her lack of opposable thumbs makes her a lousy camera operator. That and the fact that she is easily distracted.

Anyhow, unblocked, this was about 48″ in diameter. Lightly blocked it measures 60″ in diameter.

ChaosSide080309 240x160 Order to Chaos

I worked up an edging that was more orderly than chaotic, and I’m liking the results.

ChaoEdge080309 240x160 Order to Chaos

The pattern will be available for sale in the near future.

From time to time y’all comment on how brave I am to allow Lucy to lounge around on my knits. No bravery involved — Lucy is very much disinclined to do damage to knits.

ChaosandLucyA080309 240x183 Order to Chaos

For starters, she has no front claws. (She was declawed before she came to live with me). And she is a very dainty girl. She has many knitted toys, most of them filled with catnip, and she does not hurt those, either. Rather, she plays with them rather carefully and carries them around as if they were her dolls.

I did start a new lace project, using the yummy pink yarn I pictured in yesterday’s post. That’s the alpaca/shetland blend laceweight that Carol of Black Bunny Fibers gave me when I was in Philadelphia.

But I’ll talk about that tomorrow.

Lucy sez:

Lucy080309 240x160 Order to Chaos

“I want to know which among you were implying that I would harm Momma’s knitting.”

Comments

1. Another beautiful shawl! Thank you so much. Can’t wait for the sale of the pattern.

2. Oh, I already started the Exonumist shawl (my first) and now this one is calling to me. Do you think you will make this one available too? (I wish I could knit them as fast as you!)

3. I love it!!! It’s a spectacular shawl Wendy!
    .-= Lissette´s last blog ..Shop of the Week =-.

4. beautiful pattern!! The finished shawl is stunning! I need to try my hand at some circular lace knitting one of these days. But, I am currently on a colorwork phase!

Isn’t it great that there’s so much diversity in knitting that there’s always something new to try just when we may be getting bored with a certain technique?!?! I love it!
    .-= Cathy´s last blog ..Mystery sock update! =-.

5. Love it love it love it! Lucy I know you’d never ever hurt your momma’s knitting ‘cuz you like to lie on it ‘cuz it’s soft and she wouldn’t allow this if your harmed her knitting.
    .-= southparknitter (aka Timmie!)´s last blog ..On the go =-.

6. you making it hard to be monogamous with my projects :-)

7. Oh Wendy! I love this one!! I can’t wait for the pattern to be available! <3
    .-= Deinera´s last blog ..Home again =-.

8. It just went onto my “to buy” list! I like it way more now that it’s blocked. Not that I didn’t like it before, you understand. It being green, unless it was butt ugly (and I don’t think you’re capable of designing something that fits that description), I’d probably like it. But the Order is stunning!

9. I love both the coloway and pattern! The center motif reminds me of a pinwheel and provides a lovely whimsical effect. Another beauty!

10. I do not see the chaos part of it – the only thing I see that isn’t yummy is the fact that the yarn coloration seems to form a circular swirl that runs against the direction of the knitted swirl, which bugs my visual sense. Gorgeous, though.
    .-= Valeria´s last blog ..Bookbinding – Belated Update =-.

11. Love, Love, LOVE it! I’m waiting anxiously for the pattern to go on sale. Love the way the Smooshy colorway spins within pinwheel center. But then what’s not to love about Smooshy!

12. I tried to think up something clever to say, but all I can come up with is this:

Want!
    .-= Lorette´s last blog ..A "Real" Post =-.

13. patricia says:

WOW!! Looks great all blocked out with a cat on top!

14. Beautiful shawl. I can’t believe how fast you knit.

15. Cathy Smith says:

Wendy, Both of the last shawls are simply stunning; there is no other word for them. You are an amazing knitter.

16. I just love this shawl! This may just be the shawl that inspires me to actually knit one ;)

17. I love, love, love this shawl! I have never made lace anything (mostly socks) but I am feeling the need (strong urge) for this pattern when it becomes available. Beautiful, just beautiful!! Excellent job!!

18. Another winner in the shawl category! I love the star in the star pattern-what will she produce next……..?!!!!
    .-= Cindy´s last blog ..Waves and Weaves =-.

19. Beautiful! And I love the name.

20. Too cool!! Very ‘fractally’.

21. Oh, it’s gorgeous! Looks like Lucy has already claimed it as her territory. My wool-eaters would never be allowed near it.
    .-= Hissy Stitch´s last blog ..Happy Birthday! Ice cream! Wizards! Noodles! Cows! =-.

22. I love it! I can’t wait to buy the pattern. My pussboy still has his claws but he’s never bothered my yarn. Even when I’m knitting, the most he’ll do is sit and watch the ball of yarn twirl in the plastic bag when I pull. The only finished piece he’s ever laid on is the snuggle I knit of bright colours for a black cat.

23. Christyh says:

I am not a lace knitter, but your shawl is gorgeous. of course, anything made in green looks great.

24. Kudos! Job well done!
    .-= Susan Mohr Krupke´s last blog ..2010 Winter Olympics =-.

25. You did it again ! ! Two in a row. Are you going for Three? ? Great job.Jean

26. Normally I am all about the socks, but i am loooooooooooving the shawls. I grabbed the pattern for the Exonumist shawl when you posted and cannot wait for this one. Brilliant again!!
    .-= Danielle B´s last blog ..WFH =-.

27. i’ve seen callar cams for cats an dogs. maybe lucy would be willing to ware one of those.
    .-= ikisti´s last blog ..memories… =-.

28. I just had to delurk to say wow. And wow. I love it. I think I know what my next bit lace project might be…
    .-= Jocelyn´s last blog ..A survey! And meditations on The Swatch =-.

29. With a new kitty in the apartment (her name is Isolde) I’m nervous about blocking my knitting at home. She still has her front claws, and she has also carried skeins of yarn around the apartment (along with untangling them.) I also am in LOVE with this shawl. I have not bought a pattern online yet, but this shawl may be my first! Great job!!
    .-= Andrea´s last blog .. =-.

30. I am not a shawl knitter, only socks. However, if I were to make one, this would be it. INCREDIBLE!!!!! You are amazing. I am currently knitting through your new sock book. I just received it and started with the Ribbed Ribbon Socks. I will be making every pair.
    Again, FANTASTIC shawl.

barb in MI

31. Beautiful! And the shawl is nice too ; ) (Lucy, you get more gorgeous every post!)

32. Just gorgeous!! I too was wondering about Lucy and your shawls, good to know ;)
    .-= Zonda´s last blog ..Luxury toes =-.

33. This is one of the shawls which tempts me. I have liked many but not to the point of choosing one to make. ‘Order to Chaos’ is possible. Very nice.

34. Elegant!

35. Pam aka inlovewithalpaca says:

Can’t wait for the pattern to come out. I will have to have it.

36. That is just drop-dead gorgeous. And I LOVE the color!
    .-= (formerly) no-blog-rachel´s last blog ..Ooh, Honey Honey… =-.

37. Muriel Correa says:

No matter how many times I see your work, I am truely amazed. I love the spiral effect and yes, the order that you brought to the chaos. It’s absolutely beautiful!

Of course poor Lucy wouldn’t hurt a thing! I can’t say the same for my Okie though.

38. Beautiful shawl. I love the name and the design. Lucy isn’t hurting anything she’s obviously lounging and we all know lounging doesn’t hurt anything but our waistline.
    .-= Beverly´s last blog ..Little Peacock =-.

39. The shawl is lovely – both the color and the design.

40. annalilly says:

Oh, I do love all the angles and the patterns within them! And I agree with Mzjen about the fractalosity of it. It’s very soothing somehow.

41. I love both of your shawls. They are beautiful as is your Lucy. She looks like a cousin of our Mocha who also had no front claws when she arrived at our house. Someone left her outside and defenseless, and she was down to only 5 pounds. She’s a happy kitty now, and Lucy looks very happy too.
    .-= Judy´s last blog ..Keeping Our Cool =-.

42. That is a beautiful shawl! I think kitties are just drawn to hand made items. All I have to do is lay out a quilt and I have kitties all over it. Lucy looks very nice on that pretty green!

43. I usually just read and don’t comment, but i have to say I was so relieved to see that you weren’t the one who declawed your kitty. It’s such a very cruel and unnecessary thing to do to cats. Most people do not realize that they actually amputate the first digit of the toe rather than pulling the claw out. All three my kitties still have their claws and I am ok with the occasional snag and tangled ball of yarn.

Beautiful shawl, by the way.
    .-= Liza´s last blog ..First socks =-.

44. Really beautiful – both of the shawls. I don’t even wear shawls and I want to make both of these. Great designs and great job by the spokesmodel too :^)

45. Absolutely beautiful!!!

46. Lucy,
    Are you a himalayan? If I were your mommy, I would be spinning your beautiful fur (that she combs), with some wool, for a special yarn!
    Beautiful shawl! Your mommy sure is talented!
    Regina

47. Wow, Wendy! That’s just gorgeous. I’m in awe of not just your amazing speed, but of your ability to design. You’ve created in no time flat what looks like a carefully charted (after many drafts) and calculated center pattern, while leaving it the right size, etc., for your edging to work so beautifully. And it does. So beautiful!
    .-= toni in florida´s last blog ..Last week’s best mail =-.

48. Definitely a beauty!

I wish Saru-chan was as kind to craft projects as Lucy. My kitty has damaged lace weight, tried to eat wool-silk blends and acryllic, and completely snagged cross-stitch projects. She has no shame.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..chopping cherries =-.

49. Wendy, your shawl is absolutly stunning! My question to you is this: When do you sleep???? LOL!
    Andrea

50. Another masterpiece!

Lucy clearly has better manners than my cats. Max recently pulled a dpn out of a sock project. I guess I shouldn’t leave them where he can get them.
    .-= ConnieB in Ohio´s last blog ..Thursday update =-.

51. Wendy- Allow me to congratulate you on yet another stunner. And Lucy just gilds the lily, doesn’t she?
    .-= Lorraine´s last blog ..Press For Service =-.

52. She is just the perfect cat, lounging on the perfect shawl. A match made in heaven!
    .-= Michele In Maine´s last blog ..Custom listing for dlchan6 =-.

53. Brava!! Absolutely spectacularly beautiful, Wendy!

54. Brava!! Beautiful, Wendy.

55. Wow…that is simply amazing! The color is gorgeous although it seems impossible to get a pic of the full thing on the floor without Lucy :) If it was at my house my 75 pound bulldog would lay on it.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Another Year Down for Jeramy =-.

56. I am in awe of your creative genius and of your knitterly speed! Another lovely finished garment to add to your collection. Congratulations!
    Blogless Mary Lou
    Tell Lucy that I just adopted two new kittens and they LOVE to play with yarn.

57. Look out – Lucy’s about to unleash the Pads of Death!

58. you finish such large amounts of work so quickly! I love it!

59. Robin Fremer says:

I love it- can’t wait for the pattern – I’m awed by your abilities-thanks for sharing

60. This pattern went into my favorites immediately! It is a wonderful shawl – to say the very least!

I am considering making a blanket out of it – do you think I could sub in worsted weight pretty easily?

61. It’s gorgeous, congratulations
    .-= Karoline´s last blog ..Sewerby Hall =-.

62. Gretcheng says:

I hate to be redundant, but “Wow!” I really love this shawl pattern, and I will definitely have to knit it. I’ll also tag on to Megan S’s question about making it with heavier yarn as a blanket–do you think that would work?
    This is such an elegant and beautiful pattern, and I like how the openness of the lace is consistent across the variety of textures. Along with dreamy, this shawl is absolutely drapy!

63. Stunning!! Drop-dead gorgeous! You are amazing….. and Lucy is beautiful.

64. Tressa in NC says:

Outstanding! In every way!

65. Beautiful!
    So…um….does this mean you’re contemplating a lace book one day on the horizon?
    *wink*
    (((Hugs)))
    .-= Knitnana´s last blog ..Repacking… =-.

66. What an excellent pattern, Wendy! I love it! You’ve actually made me purchase my first “single” pattern. How do you do that??? ;)
    .-= Daniele´s last blog ..New Sock Pattern! =-.

67. It is beautiful!
    .-= Dorothy´s last blog ..One =-.

68. Vicki Johnson says:

Beautiful!! Have you considered writing a shawl book? I would buy it!
    Cheers, Vicki

69. You said, “y’all”.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..A licky boom boom down. =-.

70. Dr. Jackie says:

Ooooh. Spectacular. Have to move that up in my queue! Thanks…

71. Dr. Jackie says:

1500 yards…did you squeeze it out of 3 skeins of Smooshy, or did you dive into the 4th one? I’m going to be paying a little visit to TLE this week, and need to pick mine out!

Also, what would you suggest as blocked measurements for your average triangular shawl. I am just finishing one, and am squeezing it out of one skein of Smooshy…but I’m wondering if I’m shortchanging it…

Thanks! (I didn’t make it to the SS either…)

72. It’s BEAUTIFUL!
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..I hope all dogs go to heaven. =-.