1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Highlighter Tape

How ’bout that?

Tape081209 240x160 Highlighter Tape

A bunch of you indicated in the comments that you didn’t know about highlighter tape. And here I thought I was the last person on earth who was in the dark about the glory that is highlighter tape.

I got a few emails asking where to buy it. Well, as I mentioned in my last post, Karen at Needlework Unlimited gave me mine, so if you are in or near Minneapolis, hie thee over there asap. Everyone else? Google it. icon wink Highlighter Tape

You can indeed lift and reposition this tape multiple times and it retains its stickiness. In the comments, Colleen shared an excellent tip to aid in placement:

I found it very hard to pry up the ends, quickly, so I learned to put a fold (hem) on each end, so that I can just grab the flap and unstick it to move it up.

So brilliant, and yet so simple!

So, the lace knitting continues.

Shawl091209 240x160 Highlighter Tape

The answer to the many many questions I have been getting is: No, I am not writing a lace book. See, I can’t work full-time, promote my sock book part-time, and write a new book all at the same time. Just thinking about it makes me wanna take a nap.

Lucy sez:

Lucy081209 240x160 Highlighter Tape

“This does nothing for me.”

Comments

1. I think I have your second sock book preordered on Amazon, don’t I? Sure hope it’s yours. I don’t care if you write a lace book. Just keep on letting us purchase the patterns. Thanks so much!

2. To heck with what you’re knitting! I come here to see what Lucy sez (but I am enjoying your toe up socks book :) )

3. Now that looks like fun- kind of highlighters and post-its all rolled into one new must-have office supply!

4. Annnnnd, the tape really proves itself if you have to rip back a few rows – just move the tape back to where you are. No crossed out lines, no previously highlighted lines – perfect.

5. I know the Silver Needle in Tulsa, OK carries the highlighter tape and they have great customer service. (No affiliation…just a happy customer.) They take care of my other addiction…counted thread embroidery!

6. Stacy and the five rugrats says:

I never heard of highlighter tape either…and I used to be an administrative assistant.

On a side note: What do you do with all the lace shawls and such you make? Do you keep them all!? LOL

7. Adore the picture of Lucy with the tape!!!

8. Pam aka inlovewithalpaca says:

Ooohhhh good to know you can move it several times. I ordered some last night

9. mmm, highlighter tape! is it wrong that the idea makes me very happy???

10. Webs carries highlighter tape too.

11. I LOVE my highlighter tape – I’d recommend brighter colors like yellow and pink, and not the dark ones. Got my mine from WEBS too, but I tell the LYS’ to order it – it’s a great stocking stuffer for your knitterly friends!
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..FO: Ishbel =-.

12. Judy Pearce says:

Highlighter tape has not been easy to find at office supply stores. I get it at the school supply place, Beyond the Blackboard.

13. linda-kay says:

Wow! This office manager hadn’t heard about highlighter tape either. Do you always keep your working chart in a sheet protector? I know I don’t always and am wondering if it pulls up some of the ink color when you move it. It sounds like it’s stickier than Post-it’s.

14. Oh Lucy has the best facial expressions. Love this one. I went looking for where to find the highlighter tape. I should stop at Office Depot and Staples and see if I can find any. I think it’s an awesome idea… the tape, I mean.
    .-= Deinera´s last blog ..Home again =-.

15. Another name for hilighter tape is Quilter’s Tape… mine came from WalMart. You can buy it in packages of 3 colors- mine is orange, yellow, and pink. Also, it’s a bit narrower than Scotch tape (more like corrector fluid that comes in tape form) so it’s great for charts that aren’t blown up bigger on a copier. Hope this helps!!!
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..Loss =-.

16. Kate/Massachusetts says:

I’ve used highlighter tape for years. I get mine through Sporty’s Pilot Shop which is online through google or if you live near a small airport with a pilot shop on base you can buy directly from them since they are open to the public. My tip: peel off the length you need/turn under a bit to make a tab/then stick the whole piece on a sheet of wax paper – cut the tape/wax paper combo in half lengthwise using either scissors/exacto knife/or a quilter’s rotary cutter and ruler. Use one half on your project and save the other right on the wax paper; also it is much more frugal to cut it this way. The cut piece usually fits exactly over one line of the graph rather than overlapping several graph lines. Is this clear as mud?

17. anne marie in philly says:

I never heard of highlighter tape until this blog post.

WHAT will they think of next?

so now I am the last person on earth to hear about it – bwhahahahahahahahaha!

18. I am so going out and buying some of that tape tomorrow LOL with pets, I can’t tell you how many times a marker of sorts has gotten knocked off a pattern and I have to pick it back up and go on…
    .-= Stepford Mom´s last blog ..The water is deep =-.

19. Highlighter tape is da bomb! I don’t know who invented that stuff but I will love them forever.
    .-= Kris´s last blog ..Well… THAT is What I Call an Epic FAIL!!!! =-.

20. I’m sure Lucy would be happy to help you out in the nap department :-)
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..From my email. =-.

21. Peggy Latham says:

I believe the original use for highlighter tape was in education to help students focus on specific elements while reading. You should be able to find it in various shades and sizes in educational supply stores.

22. This is the first I’ve heard of highlighter tape. So maybe I’m the last clueless knitter. Thanks for the heads up. I’ve just been using sticky notes.

LOL, Lucy and her ‘comments’, always put a smile on my face.
    .-= maryeb´s last blog ..Tiger Lily =-.

23. As an early childhood teacher, I learned about highlighter tape a number of years ago. It’s great when students are gathered around a ‘big book’ which the teacher is using for instruction, and the tape can be used by the teacher to point out something, or by the students when they are asked to find something in the text. I found it easily at most school/educational supply stores. But it never occurred to me that it would be useful to me in my knitting. Duh!! And to think that I retired a year ago and left mine (several colors that I had purchased) in the classroom. Oh well!!

24. I bet ‘it’ would do something for Lucy if you put some tape on her paw. Hind paws are the most funny.

I get my highlighter tape here:
    .-= Chery´s last blog ..Socks =-.

25. I’m sure you always get tons of ideas about how people read their charts, but I’m going to throw mine in there anyway. If I have a chart I’ll be spending a lot of time with, or that I know I’ll want to use again, I get it laminated. Then I get a wet erase marker, and use it to cross off each row as I knit it. When I get to the end of the chart, I wipe it off and start again!

26. Plausible deniability. You also claimed you weren’t writing a sock book when I first suggested that was the reason we seeing various methods way before the book saw the light of day. Just sayin’

27. I went to our Staples and they had heard of the highlighter tape as people like to use it to highlight things in their Bible and remove it later, BUT, they didn’t carry it……….. I’ll try Wal-Mart tomorrow.
    .-= Darlene´s last blog ..WHAT I’VE BEEN UP TO =-.

28. Chery Thanks for the link!

29. I started using highlighter tape a couple years ago while quiliting. It’s great to stick on your rotary cutting ruler when trying to see quickly which line you are using when cutting out strips of fabric, etc.
    I use it to mark knitting, cross stitch or crochet charts too, no more parks to erase.

30. I learned about highlighter tape a few months back. I have found that I often have to cut my tape lenthwise because I reduce the size of my charts and put them on an index card so they easily fit in my sock bag. Sometimes I would pull off the ink when I removed the tape, so I started putting wide wrapping tape over the chart. No more problems!
    Oh by the way, I couldn’t find it at Staples or Office Depot. They looked at me like I was crazy and pointed to highlighter pens. I finally ordered it online.
    .-= Carol L Simmons´s last blog ..Glinda! =-.

31. I thought I had landed in heaven when I saw highlighter tape but soon discovered that I couldn’t focus on the line I wanted because I could see through it. Then I discovered some great book margin tape from Levenger’s. I bought some and use it and LOVE it!! I can keep track of how many rows I’ve done by writing on it. I can use it several times before it loses the sticky. Just thought I’d share this in case anyone else has the same issue I have.

Lucy is so adorable….I wish I could pick her up and hug her! :-)
    .-= Kay´s last blog ..Stuff….. =-.

32. Just had to send you this:

Sorry I don’t know how to turn that into a link–you’ll have to paste.

33. Thank you for answering my question. Now I need only get my own roll.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Chasing Away the Cranky =-.

34. Tape tip is brilliant! Amazon has it, I just ordered some.

The folks at Office Depot on my lunch break just scratched their heads.

But it’s so cool! I must have highlighter tape. I must! I must!

35. You can get skinny highlighter tape — about the width of a usual chart row — or wider — about the same as regular scotch tape. I like the wider width, because it’s easier to move. And I also turn under the ends a tiny bit, to make a tab to make it easier to re-position, which you can do LOTS of times. I also position it so it’s just above the chart line I’m on, not on top of it. But if you want to put it on the exact line, the narrower width, in yellow or another lighter color, might work better. Personally, the hot pink is my favorite!
    .-= janna´s last blog ..It fits! =-.

36. Thanks for filling the black hole (formerly known as my brain). I haver never seen it or heard of it. So, I can toss my magnetic board and all the magnets that fall off? Thanks for the pix so i can recognize it if I see it. Thanks for giving me a clue to where I can find it. Just thanks for all of it. You’re a good kid!

37. I found the highlighter tapes at my local teachers’ supply store. Very handy tool indeed.
    .-= Aporanee Schauer´s last blog ..Updates =-.

38. Highlighter tape—I got some in pink, blue and orange at Target at the start of the school yr in 08 but have not seen it restocked.
    .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Strategy Check =-.

39. Muriel Correa says:

That is so cool! Thanks for always sharing your helpful hints!

40. Maybe if we’re really nice to Sheri she’ll start carrying highlighter tape at The Loopy Ewe and then we won’t have to google it every time we need it!!! :)
    .-= Amanda´s last blog ..A new addition =-.

41. Kay The Arky says:

A friend told me to get it at teachers’ supply places here in town, but for about the 15 years before that I would make my own: get Scotch Magic Removable Tape (in the BLUE plaid box at office supply places), fasten a length of it to clean white paper, and scribble over the whole piece with permanent magic marker. But whatever kind you use, don’t forget to turn each end under for a “handle” to pick it up to reposition it!

42. I was going to mention the Quilters Tape, but I see someone else did. That tape is 1/4 inch wide and as she stated comes in 3 colors. It is not in a dispenser. I found mine at JoAnn’s

43. having also used it for years, (first place I found it was Knit Knacks) – I do notice that it can pull the color or printed material off your chart – the best thing to do is either laminate the chart or put it in a plastic sleeve -
    .-= margaret´s last blog ..Out of the Closet … =-.

44. Lucy, you crack me up!
    .-= Michele In Maine´s last blog ..Lolli Dot Accessory Case =-.

45. traceymae says:

how cute is that ragdoll kitty dream on youtube !!!
    and the creators name is ‘wendy’ sooooo perfect for you and miss lucy !

46. This is exactly what I’ve needed!!! I thought it was a brilliant idea to use small post-its to underline the row of lace I’m working on, but they immediately started flapping in the breeze from the ceiling fan and flew off. Aaaauuuuuggggghhhh! My cat steps on the pattern and off goes the post-it. I’m going to look all over the city until I find this wondrous tape!!!
    .-= rita´s last blog ..Welcome back my ass =-.

47. Robin Fremer says:

I got two rolls in the mail yesterday from the Knit Foundry.

48. elizabeth says:

I bought many rolls of highlighter tape online a couple of years ago-I think it was Knit Foundry also. It is a HUGE improvement to Post Its which always fall off. Everybody should be careful though because I have noticed if I left it too long in a pattern book that the ink does wear off! The best bet is to copy the pattern out of the book(for personal use only-of course!) and then use the tape on the copy which can be tossed.

Trackbacks

1. [...] post on highligher tape was one of those blog posts on the Interwebs that did just that. Holy cow. As a moderately obsessed [...]