1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

State Names

This weekend the KOARC and I were discussing movies that have the names of states in the title — like “Blue Hawaii.” This started me wondering — does every state in the U.S. have a movie with its name in the title? Some, like New York, have multiple movies, of course, but is there a movie with, for example, Rhode Island in the title?

Yeah, I wonder about stuff like this.

So, just for fun, if you can think of a movie that has a state name in the title, please leave it in the comments to this blog entry. To reward you for your diligence, on Thursday afternoon I’ll draw five names at random and those five people will win the WendyKnits pattern of their choice. Oh, and the first person who can name a movie with “Rhode Island” in the title will win 5 patterns. icon biggrin State Names

Leave your comment by 4pm Eastern time this Thursday, August 20, to be entered in the drawing.

Progress!

I had as nice chunk of knitting time yesterday so made some good progress on the Sandvik shawl.

Shawl081609 240x160 State Names

I’ve got 33 more rows to do before I work the bottom border. I weighed my ball of yarn after taking this photo. The original weight was 230 grams, and the ball now weighs 127 grams, so I’ve used less than half of it. The yardage was 1300 yards, so I’m guessing I’ve used 600 or so yards so far.

Progress will slow down during the week because I’m working on a stealth project for my commuter knitting. But I’m hoping to have this done by the end of next weekend.

Lucy Sez:

Lucy080109 240x150 State Names

“Put down the knitting and look at me!”

Comments

1. Does Jersey Girl count?

2. Kansas (1988) with Matt Dillon
    Oklahoma (1955) with Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones

3. Lemme try!
    Escape from NY, Gangs of NY, King of NY, Autum in NY
    Mississippi Burning, Mississippi Masala, Ghosts of Mississippi
    Crazy in Alabama, Sweet Home Alabama
    Prince of Pensylvania Pope of Utah
    Feeling Minnesota Nevada (’27, ’44, ’66 versions)
    Wisconsin Death Trap Wonder, Nevada
    Kentucky Fried Movie Colorado (w/Roy Rogers)
    Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (personal fav!)
    Mystery, Alaska
    Montana (’50, ’80 & ’97 remakes) Montana Sky
    Montana Blues Montana Belle
    Bastard Out of Carolina
    Invasion, Iowa
    Oregon Trail
    King of Cailifornia
    Rhode Island related:
    the 2003 Blockbuster “Getting Out of Rhode Island” really exists and won 2 awards
    and sort-a related: The Witches of Eastwick
    .-= LizAnderson´s last blog ..Solid Proof I Have No Life =-.

4. Christine says:

New Jersey Drive
    Watch Out For North Dakota
    Sons Of New Mexico
    In Wisconsin The Blind Can Hunt
    War Eagle, Arkansas
    The Delaware Project
    Deep Down In Florida

5. My first thought was, “Raising Arizona.” I’m pretty much blanking on anything else, but that’s probably because of my usual name-remembering skills fail.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Not Entirely Unexpected, But Still… =-.

6. Getting Out of Rhode Island?
    Rhode Island Blue?

7. Found one for Georgia (I don’t think this has been posted yet): The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia. It’s a 1981 film starring Denins Quad, Kristy McNichol, Mark Hamil, and Don Stroud.
    .-= Nathalie´s last blog ..I Love Free Dog Food! =-.

8. “Home in Indiana”

I grew up there. It would be nice to be there right now so I could see my parents. BTW, the movie starred Walter Brennan!

9. Feeling Minnesota (1996 )
    Mississippi Burning (1988)
    UFO over Illinois (2000) and The U of Illinois vs a mummy (2006) cracked me up
    Ternitz, Tennessee (2000)
    Our Private idaho (1998)
    West of Wyoming (1950)
    Bleeding Iowa (1999)
    The Princess of Nebraska (2007)

I love to search random stuff….does it show?
    .-= shelly´s last blog ..The truth revealed. =-.

10. “Tennessee” 2009 – Haven’t seen it..But will!
    .-= Gerry O’N´s last blog ..Stash_RegiaNationColor_5399 =-.

11. Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
    .-= Heather´s last blog ..That one person =-.

12. I was raised in Kentucky, so I can attest that there are a number of movies with that state name in the title, including a great, old (c. 1940) one called, simply, Kentucky, with Loretta Chase and Walter Brennan.

A list a came up with, after consulting with my movie-mad son, is:
    1. Sweet Home Alabama
    2. Alaska (According to the kiddo, there are several with that name; he was thinking of one with Charlton Heston playing a poacher.)
    3. Raising Arizona, Arizona Dream
    4. War Eagle, Arkansas; The Arkansas Traveler; Down in Arkansas
    5. California (There have been a number of movies with that title, from oldies to fairly recent ones.)
    6. Colorado (There may be more than one movie with this title, but I was thinking of one with Roy Rogers.)
    7. Christmas in Connecticutt
    8. Down Delaware Road, The Delaware Project
    9. Deep Down in Florida, La Florida
    10. Georgia (The kid was thinking of one from the mid 1990s, with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Mare Winningham playing sisters, one of whom is also named Georgia.)
    11. Hawaii, Blue Hawaii, Hawaii Five-O
    12. Idaho, My Own Private Idaho, Twin Falls, Idaho
    13. Abe Lincoln in Illinois
    14. Indiana; Eerie, Indiana; Indiana Jones and the (fill-in-the-blank)
    15. Iowa, Bleeding Iowa
    16. Kansas, Kansas City, Rolling Kansas
    17. Kentucky (see above), The Kentucky Fried Movie, Kentucky Woman, Blue Grass of Kentucky
    18. Louisiana, My Louisiana Sky, Louisiana Story
    19. The Beans of Egypt, Maine; Liberty, Maine
    20. Maryland, The Pride of Maryland, Daughter of Maryland
    21. The Kennedys of Massachusetts, A Moon Man from Massachusetts (the latter is the story of Robert Goddard)
    22. Michigan, Roaming through Michigan, The Michigan Kid
    23. Feeling Minnesota, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid
    24. Mississippi Burning, Ghosts of Mississippi
    25. The Girl from Missouri, The Missouri Breaks, Across the Wide Missouri
    26. Montana Sky, Cattle Queen of Montana, Hannah Montana: the Movie
    27. Nebraska, The Princess of Nebraska
    28. Nevada, Nevada Smith, Nevada City
    29. The Hotel New Hampshire (the movie based on Irving’s novel)
    30. New Jersey Drive
    31. New Mexico, Christmas in New Mexico, Sons of New Mexico
    32. New York (several, of various vintages)
    33. North Carolina Legends, Voices of North Carolina (documentary on accents)
    34. North Dakota: (we could not think of any, but came up with several with just Dakota in the title)
    35. Miss Ohio, Beautiful Ohio
    36. Oklahoma!
    37. The Oregon Trail
    38. The Prince of Pennsylvania, Penn of Pennsylvania
    39. Getting Out of Rhode Island (I’ve never heard of it, but the Kid says it came out 5 or 6 years ago.)
    40. South Carolina: (we could not think of any, but both knew some with “Carolina” in the title.)
    41. South Dakota: (We could not think of any, but we came up with several with “Dakota,” such as The Dakota Kid, Dakota Skye)
    42. Tennessee, Tennessee Nights
    43. Texas (I was thinking of one from the 40s, with William Holden and Glenn Ford; the kiddo was thinking of two more recent ones.)
    44. Utah, The Man from Utah (John Wayne), Fort Utah
    45. Moonlight in Vermont
    46. Virginia (A couple from the 40s and a couple from the 90s.)
    47. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (wrong Washington, I know, but…), The Rose of Washington Square
    48. West Virginia (TV mini-series)
    49. Bootleg, Wisconsin; Wisconsin Death Trip (weird title, IMO, but the Kiddo says there was a movie with this title)
    50. Green Grass of Wyoming (Burl Ives, I think); The Redhead from Wyoming (Maureen O’Hara and a young Dennis Weaver)

North and South Carolina and Dakota seem to be the only states lacking movies with the state name in the title, but there are movies with “Carolina” and “Dakota” in the title.

Susannah

13. Well, besides the obvious single name movies “Oklahoma” and “Colorado”; there’s also “Courage Colorado”, “Hotel Colorado”, and “Colorado Kid” among a bunch of others! What might be even more interesting is if a movie has actually been filmed in all fifty states. For example, “The Shining” was partially filmed in my beautiful home state of Colorado, as were “Dumb and Dumber”, “City Slickers”, “The Stand”, and “Die Hard 2″. :)
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..The Bridges of Madison County- Robert James Waller =-.

14. My favorite, Sweet Home Alabama, or Truth or Consequences New Mexico.

15. Autumn in New York

16. Diane Schultz says:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre! (She says, like she’s proud of that one.) Or The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Not to mention Paris, Texas. Or, for variety, Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys. To change the question slightly, a couple of really, really bad movies filmed in the town I grew up in would be The Legend of Boggie Creek and The Town that Dreaded Sundown.

17. Getting Out of Rhode Island (2003)

18. Raising Arizona

19. How about one from my home state: “The Oregon Trail”

20. Great idea for a competition :-)
    I have just a few suggestions:
    The Hotel New Hampshire
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Utah (from 1945)
    .-= Lone´s last blog ..Jeg har vundet et pindsvin(-emønster) =-.

21. Raising Arizona (first movie that came to mind), Roaming through Michigan (my current state), Feeling Minnesota (where I went to school), Mr. Moto in Puerto Rico (shout out to the territories!).

There are songs and movies about nearly everything… that’s why I have perpetual ear worms!
    .-= Jenni´s last blog ..Lawn sprinkles… =-.

22. Cathy Smith says:

California Split
    Missouri Breaks
    Great Minnesota Raid
    Oklahoma
    Nevada Smith
    Sweet Home Alabama

23. Hmm – it ate my comment at first! Try, try, try again!

Raising Arizona (first came to mind), Roaming through Michigan (my current state), Feeling Minnesota (where I went to school) and Mr. Moto in Puerto Rico (shout out to the territories!).
    .-= Jenni´s last blog ..Lawn sprinkles… =-.

24. Kansas (1998)
    Oklahoma!
    California Suite
    Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

I’ll stop there – I was surprised at how many we came up with!

25. Mississippi Burning………..I didn’t read through all the comments to see if this one had already been said

26. Mystery, Alaska
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..BSJ for my Own =-.

27. Of course, Oklahoma.

Raising Arizona

Escape from New York

Can’t think of any with Rhode Island

28. Well, there was a 2005 film named simply “Iowa”. That says it all.
    .-= Barbara-Kay´s last blog ..Let me show you my knitting =-.

29. There was a movie called “Maryland” in 1940, starring Walter Brennan

(had to check).

Trish in MD
    .-= TrishD in MD´s last blog ..Why I’m Not Meant to Do Tubular Cast On =-.

30. Here are a few I haven’t seen on the list:
    What a great way to perk up a lazy Sunday afternoon!

Here are some I haven’t seen yet:

I Wanna Go Back to West Virginia
    The Delaware Project
    The Princess of Nebraska
    Blue Hawaii
    and my state of birth:
    Florida Special
    The Florida Connection

31. The Life of George Washington.

Of course I have to do a movie with the state I live in :P

32. Marie Wilson says:

Happy, Texas. A hilarious movie of mistaken identies.

33. The Bituminous Coal Queens of Pennsylvania

34. Geraldine Scott says:

California Dreamin’ (2007)

35. Here we go:
    Indiana Jones
    Blue Hawaii
    Raising Arizona
    Oklahoma!
    Sweet Home Alabama

36. Hi Wendy-
    Feeling Minnesota (1996)

Thanks for the great classes at Needlework Unlimited in Minneapolis…it was a great time! I am cruising along on my first toe-ups, and tapping my brakes as I approach the turn.

37. Rhode Island Movies:
    Getting Out of Rhode Island (2003)
    The Demon Murder Case (1983) (TV) aka “The Rhode Island Murders”
    First Rhode Island Volunteers (1898)
    Review of First Rhode Island Volunteers (1899)
    Rhode Island Blue (2001)
    Shooting the Chutes at Providence, Rhode Island (1901)

38. Being from Texas & a horror fan I wanted to go with Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times already. I don’t think I saw anyone mention The Kentucky Fried Movie, so I’ll throw it up here.

39. Missouri Breaks, Raising Arizona, North to Alaska
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..On the go =-.

40. There’s a movie called Carolina that stars Julia Stiles…

41. Rhode Island Blue (2001)
    But my favorite is “Hoosiers”. Yes, I know it doesn’t say Indiana in the title but we are all Hoosiers here. I’m not a native (I was born in Chicago – yet another movie) but I’ve come to love this state. The people are awesome and the geography here in the south is gorgeous (hilly and wooded).
    OH – and lots of sheep and bunnies!! More to spin with!

42. “Getting Out of Rhode Island” — released in 2003.

43. Bleeding Iowa (1999)
    Oregon Trail (several versions)
    War Eagle, Arkansas (2007)
    Paris, Texas (1984)
    .-= Ali´s last blog ..Ooof =-.

44. States that seem to be missing so far: Utah (1945 movie); New Mexico (1951); Kentucky (1938); Nebraska Supersonic (2001); Montana Moon (1930); Wyoming (1940 & 1947);

45. Without using imdb, and because I grew up there…Feeling Minnesota is all I have for you. I wonder if there is a movie with Michigan in it?
    .-= Grace´s last blog ..Blogging from my phone =-.

46. There’s a 1940 movie called Maryland.

And apparently a 2009 movie called Walking to Maryland.

Who knew?

And someone has probably come up with this already, but there is a 2003 movie called Getting Out of Rhode Island.

Wonder if these links are going to work?
    .-= Sarah R´s last blog ..Another One Bites The Dust =-.

47. Getting Out of Rhode Island! And I didn’t even look at your other comments =)

And North to Alaska.

(There is smoke coming out of my ears.. That’s what happens when one thinks on a Sunday, FPS!)
    .-= Megan S.´s last blog ..I’m Meeellllting!! =-.

48. Raising Arizona
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Contest Entry =-.

49. 1.
    Getting Out of Rhode Island (2003)
    2. The Demon Murder Case (1983) (TV) aka “The Rhode Island Murders”
    3. First Rhode Island Volunteers (1898)
    4. Review of First Rhode Island Volunteers (1899)
    5. Rhode Island Blue (2001)
    6. Shooting the Chutes at Providence, Rhode Island (1901)

Other states

If Lucy Fell (1996)
    Wendy and Lucy (2008)
    Dear Wendy (2005)

52. MsKnitster says:

rhode Island Blue (2001)

53. Muriel Correa says:

Ok, so here is a list that I copied from a site called State Movie Titles…nothing on Rhode Island but it looks as though someone already came up with that already anyway.

Alabama’s Ghost;
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre;
    Paris, Texas;
    Utah Wagon Train;
    Moonlight in Vermont;
    The Howards of Virginia;
    Redhead from Wyoming.

You know I’m hoping for the Order to Chaos pattern!

54. Dr. Jackie says:

Living in Missouri – 2001

55. The Prince of Pennsylvania
    It’s the only one I could find with Pennsylvania in the title.

56. Raising Arizona – one of my favs!

57. Well, Oklahoma seems a bit obvious…how about The Missouri Breaks?
    .-= Eileen´s last blog .. =-.

58. Beautiful shawl. How about Indiana Jones.

59. The Greatest Salesman in Rhode Island
    Getting Out of Rhode Island

60. Tsk, tsk – everyone is always ready to make fun of West Virginia (my home state), but no one else mentioned “I Wanna Go Back to West Virginia” (1942) – with Sibyl Rae and Slim Andrews … (I have no idea).
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..On Forgiveness =-.

61. Elizabeth H. says:

The Witches of Eastwick (RI) is the closest I can come up with.

62. Truth or Consequences New Mexico -

63. Ohio
    Nevada
    Sons of New Mexico
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    “Minigrant Report from Maine: Boys’ Literacy Camp Sets a Standard” http://www.nwp.org/cs/public/print/resource/379

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    The Gentleman from Indiana (1915)

I wanted to find a couple that had state names that mean the state, not something else…I found some, at least!

64. Raising Arizone

65. I don’t suppose that knowing Mystic Pizza was set in Mystic, Connecticut counts, does it?

66. Robin Fremer says:

Shooting the Chutes at Providence, Rhode Island
    I Wanna Go Back to West Virginia
    Wyoming
    Badlands of Dakota
    The Man from Utah
    Nevada Smith
    The Pope of Utah
    Factor 8: The Arkansas Prison Blood Scandal
    How Ohio Pulled It Off
    Mississippi Burning
    Vampire Vermont

67. My Qwn Private Idaho

68. I’m actually from RI (and live there again after returning from DC. “Getting out of RI” is one–there also was a Kevin Bacon movie filmed in Newport called “The Rhode Island Murders.”

69. Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

70. How about the movie named for my hometown?

Paris, Texas

71. Also, “Getting Out of Rhode Island” is a movie.

72. Clark Gable in “Across the Wide Missouri” (1951)

I live in St. Louis so I **HAD** to check for Missouri.

73. Robin Fremer says:

The Hotel New Hampshire
    The Delaware Project
    Sweet home alabama
    Louisiana Hussy
    Across the Wide Missouri
    Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
    Abe Lincoln in Illinois

74. Nevada Smith with be-still-my-heart Steve McQueen

75. Raymond Massey and Ruth Gordon in “Abe Lincoln in Illinois” (1940)

I was born in Illinois!

76. Wisconsin Death Trip

77. Raising Arizona, of course :)

78. Vernon, Florida

79. Ruth Schoof says:

Raising Arizona!!

80. Louisiana Story

81. There is an independent movie called “Iowa” which can be found here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372346/

Then there’s “Nebraska” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284342/

82. Well, my home state, besides providing the name for a fictional adventurer, also has:
    –The Boy from Indiana (1950)
    –Home in Indiana (1944) with the somewhat off-putting tagline of “All The Thrills Of ‘Kentucky’! All The Magnificence Of ‘Maryland’! Come Home To Your Heart in Indiana!”

Of course the greatest Indiana movies are Breaking Away and Hoosiers, neither of which have Indiana in the title, although Hoosiers (the name for state natives) is close.

Additional unsolicited opinion: Although many Hoosiers are proud to claim John Mellencamp for his musical talents, he should have stuck to music, as his movie Falling from Grace *painfully* demonstrates. The only bearable moment is where Mariel Hemmingway beans Claude Akins with a frying pan, something any viewer would want to do to all responsible for this turkey.
    .-= Ariadne´s last blog ..Grand Opening =-.

83. Deb in central California says:

In Old California (1942)

Under California Skies (1948)

Why no, what makes you think I like old movies?

84. Knittingvt says:

Freedom and Unity: The Vermont Movie
    opens Summer 2009 in to coincide with Lake Champlain’s Quadricentennial celebration

85. Kathy Sue says:

Getting Out of Rhode Island made in 2003.. Did not recognize a single name associated with it!

86. The Oregon Trail (1936) North to Alaska, Blue Hawaii, that was all I could think of. I love these “brain teasers” you have every so often. Makes me start thinking about what I don’t know!!! :)

87. Mississippi Burning.

Oklahoma

88. Home in Indiana. Would the Indiana Jones movies count too?
    ARe we including documentaries? There is one called UFO Over Illinois.
    Um…oh, Mississippi Burning. What states are we missing?
    .-= Michelle O.´s last blog ..The truth about forever by Sarah Dessen =-.

89. Elizabeth says:

Hawaii

90. Oklahoma
    Mississippi Marsala
    Nevada
    Raising Arizona

91. There was a Roy Rogers movie called “Colorado.”
    Also–Jersey Girl which was out a few years ago with Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler.
    .-= KozyKitty´s last blog ..Playing for Change: Peace Through Music =-.

92. Do all the home movies of the Ohio State football games count? I bet there are thousands of those.

93. Mississippi Burning

94. Dakota (1945), John Wayne.
    Can that count for 2 states?

95. Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus!!
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..A Quick Catch Up! =-.

96. Celestine Getty says:

Getting out of Rhode Island.

97. Getting Out of Rhode Island
    (2002) NR
    Step into the life of Hollywood actor Jacob Mattison (Robert Merrifield) in this unusual film that melds drama with comedy while channeling the brilliance of improv. Nothing’s scripted and everything’s game as Mattison travels to Rhode Island for a homecoming party of sorts thrown by a childhood archenemy, Morgan Stipe (Jeremy Banks), who now supposedly wants to be his friend. In truth, Stipe sees Mattison as a means to go Hollywood himself.

Genre:Independent
    Format:DVD

98. Karen Wong says:

As corny as it may be,, I imediately thought of “Blue Hawaii” when you asked the question….

99. I remembered “Scotland, Pa.”, a clever film with Christopher Walken, Maura Tierney, and James LeGros based on Shakespeare’s Macbeth.
    .-= Roseann´s last blog ..Rosebuds Sock =-.

Trackbacks