1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

The Horror

First, a shot of the morning sky:

Sky082009 240x180 The Horror

But that is not the horror to which I allude in the title  of this post. This is the horror:

SeedStitch082009 240x160 The Horror

Seed stitch. 483 stitches per row for 8 rows. The horror . . . the horror . . .

Have I ever mentioned how much I loathe working seed stitch?

Never mind, let’s move on to happier things. Like . . .

The Big Wieners!

The Random Number Generator toiled long and hard, and selected five individuals who left comments containing movie titles that contain state names. Those five big wieners winners are:

Nikkapotamus, Elysbeth, Debi, Bonnie, and Wendy in Indy. I have emailed these five winners, so if you think one of those people is you, check your email.

These five each win a copy of the WendyKnits pattern of their choice. You all win my undying gratitude for playing along with my silly request. icon smile The Horror

This Weekend

I’m heading out this weekend to teach at a private knitting retreat. I’ll be returning home at some point on Sunday, but won’t be blogging til Monday. See you then! Hopefully with this thing complete!

avatarAug09 237x240 The Horror

Lucy Sez:

Lucy082009 240x160 The Horror

“Time for another party since Momma’s gonna be away . . . “

Comments

1. There are no squirrels in the pictures! Also, you don’t like working seed stitch but you’re putting it in your pattern anyway because .. .. why? ;) It does look pretty once you get through it.

2. It is your pattern, right? If you hate seed stitch why choose it? I do like the way it looks too, but also hate the process. Good luck on the 3504 (ugh) stitches of seed stitch. Sorry, it was too tempting to figure out just how many seeds there were. Have a great weekend, N

3. Lynda Hitt says:

I saw the cover of your new book on Amazon last night and can’t wait for it. I also am going to have to buy the Order to Chaos shawl pattern, cuz you know, have to have all of your patterns

4. I feel your pain with the seed stitch – I knit Dad a scarf last winter that was 100% seed and it was painful (pretty handsome, but painful) – ahhh the things we do for family (like knit with black KSH for the child!)

5. Oh dear, it looks like Miss Lucy is planning a catnip party while you’re away! My kitties, Willie & Lucy want to know if they can come over.
    .-= Lorette´s last blog ..Grilled Pizza =-.

6. Pobrecita! Which is worse- seed stitch or corrugated ribbing?

I like your henna hair color- looks like it’s become a shade or two darker. Reminds me of my youthful hair color!

7. I know how you feel about that stitch…I loath it too….have you been playing in the henna again??? Love the color…goes well with the pink…

8. Kathy Sue says:

I hate doing seed stitch, too. It is so easy to get mixed up. but it looks so much better than a bunch of knitted rows, and lays flat better. I can’t wasit to see that big pink thing finished. So I can buy another pattern!

9. Squee! Squee. Hyperventilate.

Hmmn, I feel left odd, I like seed stitch, but I’m an eastern uncrossed knitter so I like things like ribbing and such.
    .-= Elysbeth´s last blog ..Hopes – crushed and wildly fulfilled =-.

10. Squee! Squee. Hyperventilate.

Hmmn, I feel odd, I like seed stitch, but I’m an eastern uncrossed knitter so I like things like ribbing and such.
    .-= Elysbeth´s last blog ..Hopes – crushed and wildly fulfilled =-.

11. Aw, seed stitch ain’t so bad if you knit Continental. ::runs away laughing::
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..Customer service. Or not. =-.

12. NewJerseyLaura says:

well things could be worse — corrogated ribbing

13. You hair looks great, Wendy! :)
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..More baby stuff! =-.

14. anne marie in philly says:

steven and meredith say: “cousin lucy, check your catnip and wildside salmon treat stashes, then make sure daddy pampers you allllllllll weekend!” :-)

15. I really like that pink with your “new” hair colour!! Actually I really like your colour you get with the henna!! Lookin’ good!! Have fun this week end. I know dumb statement you will be with knitters how could you not have fun!! Hug Lucy for me and Truffles. (my Siamese rescue)

16. Talk about dedication to vision. I don’t think I could ever write myself a pattern that required that much seed stitch. I’m working on a sock now with a diamond seed stitch pattern, and BLECH. Love the look, but omg…. I don’t even want to do the math on how many stitches that is you’re going to do. You are a super woman.
    .-= Tara´s last blog ..Emmi Muesli =-.

17. Have you spoken to a therapist about this seed stitch problem? Do you like moss stitch better? Is this a prejudice or could you elaborate on why I ought to hate the seed stitch too? It is really unfair to leave me out there on a limb wondering what seed stitch ever did to warrant such hostility and confused as to why I never noticed the difficulty ;-) Linda

18. What if we think we’d like to be one of the winners? Dang, but I want that Hearts for Heidi pattern.

Oh well.

Congrats to the real winners!
    .-= Nathalie´s last blog ..Knit for Hope =-.

19. It is your design you know. You can use something else besides seed stitch which isn’t my favorite stitch either.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..On the go =-.

20. have a wonderful trip – safe travels!

21. Great hair! (Call me weird, but I love seed stitch.)

22. Man, that’s a lot of seed stitch. Maybe you’ll lull yourself into insanity and not notice any more!

I actually don’t mind seed stitch, or ribbing. I just zone out. My hands go on auto-pilot!
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..Luminary panel musings =-.

23. Love the dark hair. Don’t mind seed stitch – good thing, since I’ll obviously have to buy the pattern when it’s released. Have a great retreat.

24. Man, I thought I was the only one who hated seed stitch! I like how it looks, I just can not stand to knit it. I really don’t like ribbing all that much either. I think it is because I have to pay some attention, but not enough to make it interesting.
    Have a fun weekend.
    .-= Cecilia´s last blog ..I Can’t Think of a Pithy Title =-.

25. Have a great weekend. And hopefully you can find something to distract you ever so slightly so the seed stitch goes just a little faster. Can’t wait to see the finished shawl.
    .-= Celestial´s last blog ..New Boots =-.

26. Wait a minute! Didn’t you design your shawl? Did you insert the seed stitch? Horror of your own designing.

Can’t wait to see your finished shawl. I love pink lace, in fact, I love ALL lace.
    .-= Chery´s last blog ..Socks =-.

27. So..um…….why did you put that in there if you hate it? Of course it’ll be gorgeous when finished, but…I mean…….?

28. Well, on the bright side seed stitch is totally mindless, so you can work on it while watching movies, chatting with friends over drinks, etc. Have a great time on your retreat!

29. Another weird one checking in. I love the finished look of seed stitch, so the ends justify the means……….
    .-= Cindy in Happy Valley´s last blog ..Miss me? =-.

30. I also don’t like doing seed stitch. Especially for not that long. Seems to hurt my hands or something. You’ll get done soon, though and I’m sure it will be gorgeous!

31. ::shudder:: that’s a lot of seed stitch.
    Good luck not poking your eye out working that. I probably would.
    .-= Ann in CT´s last blog ..Trip to France Day 6: Lyon-Nancy I =-.

32. Seed stitch is just broken 1×1 ribbing. Think how much ribbing is in a pair of socks. Straighten that backbone and get ‘er done!
    .-= Lenora´s last blog ..FLS #2 – I Am Still A Lady =-.

33. That’s some seed stitch!

Lucy gets to party so much. Such a pretty gal!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..aaiiieee! oh, and some new socks =-.

34. Completely unrelated to much of anything, my mother (who runs a huge resource library for the local public schools) was given a book to review to determine if it would be “interesting and appropriate” for high schools in her county. She decided, well, OF COURSE it would be – since she’s already pored over my copy months ago. (One “Socks from the Toe Up”, in case you were wondering why I’m telling you this.)
    .-= CraftyGryphon´s last blog ..The UFO report… =-.

35. Thanks Wendy! I’m tickled.

I can’t wait to start on my own pink shawl! (I’ve had the yarn sitting around for a month waiting for inspiration and courage!)

Have a great weekend!
    .-= nikkapotamus´s last blog ..Bee in Her Bonnet =-.

36. Seed stitch isn’t a lot of fun, but it does provide a nice texture without a lot of effort. Stick with it. The results will be worth it.
    .-= Hissy Stitch´s last blog ..Blogiversary Celebration! With prizes! =-.

37. Seed stitch is sooooo slow. I am knitting a sweater with it right now. Good luck, your shawl is beautiful.
    .-= Meredith´s last blog ..A Sad Knitter’s Tale =-.

38. margieinmaryland says:

Love your hair- lustrous!

39. traceymae says:

mee too…crazzy…but love the seed stitch !
    love the results …and the repetition gives me a quiet zen feeling ….
    that pobably means without knitting I would be a pshycho-killer !

40. traceymae says:

whats the difference between seed stitch and moss stitch ?

41. Ahhhhh!!!! (fingers crossed to ward off the evil) I, too, have a horror of seed stitch. Have you ever noticed how much Debbie Bliss uses it? Can’t wait to see the finished shawl all blocked out and approved by Lucy.

42. For seed stitch or even ribbing, I use the Porteguese technique. It goes so much quicker than the traditional style of knitting. Check out http://www.andreawongknits.com
    .-= Joy´s last blog ..A summer of fun! =-.

43. Like just about every other knitter, I dislike the process of seed stitch but love the result! Also, I love your hair color! Are you still dabbling in henna hair coloring?
    .-= Lisa R´s last blog ..Sugar Cookies =-.