1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Back to School – er – Work

It was raining when I left for work this morning, and I actually saw some leaves on the ground! This makes me ridiculously happy — autumn is coming. But I’m not fooling myself. I’m sure we’ve got some hot weather ahead before it really gets to be autumn. Still, it is nice to have the illusion of autumn!

Since you haven’t seen it for a while, I’m posting a pic of the sock-in-progress:

SIP090809 160x240 Back to School   er   Work

This is Madeline Tosh sock yarn in the Malachite colorway. I’m loving this yarn. It’s got my favorite base — tight twist 100% merino. And it’s green! How could I not love it?

And it is being knit up very slowly. Since I’ve got a big lace project to work on at home, this sock only comes out during my commute. And more often than not, the morning commute only. The afternoon commute has been too crowded for knitting lately.

But I’m hoping to finish this sock by the end of the week and have the second sock started to take to New York with me this weekend. I’ll be at Knitty City Saturday evening for a book signing (5 – 7 pm), and Sunday for classes. I hope I’ll see some of you there!

Here, for Johanne, a pic of the shawl in progress.

Shawl090809 240x160 Back to School   er   Work

I’ve named this design “True Love Stole.” Johanne will understand. icon wink Back to School   er   Work

iTunes!

I just got enough reward points from my VISA card to order a free $50 iTunes gift card. Wheeeeeee! So soon I’ll be buying 50 songs from iTunes. Wanna help me out? Leave the name of a song from the 1960s to 1990s in the comments to this post and on Monday (September 14) about noon-ish my time I’ll fire up the Random Number Generator and pick some folks to win the WendyKnits pattern of his/her choice, which will be delivered in pdf format via email.

Doesn’t matter if the song you name is one I’ve already got — I just need some inspiration here!

Lucy sez:

lucy090809 240x160 Back to School   er   Work

“Treats, please.”

Comments

1. Dirty Laundry! :)) One of my favorite Don Henley songs–though the all-time favorite single of his is Heart of the Matter.
    .-= Constance´s last blog ..Rhetorical Question =-.

2. “If Not For You” George Harrison

3. Enter Sandman by Metallica :)
    .-= biomaj5´s last blog ..Lesson learned =-.

4. Get Over It by the Eagles. Excellent song for when you have to deal with those “special” people at work.

5. Cindy Petty says:

“R-e-s-p-e-c-t” sung by the one and only Aretha Franklin!

Love your patterns. Are you ever coming to the Midwest?

Cindy

6. Alex Fagelson says:

Sisters Of Mercy’s “This Corrosion” for the hard core knitter

7. “Into My Arms” by Nick Cave. Great song to knit a lacy shawl to.

Chrissy

Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye And Tammi Terrell
    Yes, I’m Ready – Barbara Mason
    The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A. – Donna Fargo
    Respect – Aretha Franklin
    Bring It On Home To Me – The Animals
    Listen To The Music – The Doobie Brothers
    Jeremiah Peabody’s Poly Unsaturated Quick Dissolving Fast Acting Pleasant Tasting Green And Purple Pills – Ray Stevens
    To Give (The Reason I Live) – Frankie Valli
    Make The World Go Away – Eddy Arnold
    Let The Music Play – Barry White
    Midnight Rider – Gregg Allman
    Gypsy Woman – Brian Hyland
    Tell Laura I Love Her – Ray Peterson

10. Lori Beard says:

Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl”. My 4 year-old son knows this one as “Mommy’s favorite song”. :-)

11. The Sign–Ace of Base. Album (showing my age) of same name. Good dance-y move-y tune.

12. How about ” Leaving on a Jet Plane” or anything by Peter,Paul and Mary….

13. “Mountains of the Moon” by the Grateful Dead – or, honestly, just about anything from the Dead. Uncle John’s Band, Truckin’, Terrapin Station, Dancing In The Streets, China Cat Sunflower, Wharf Rat, Brown Eyed Woman, Sugar Magnolia… (ok, I’m a self confessed Dead-Head.. )
    .-= PlainJane´s last blog ..A Meme From Knitnana =-.

14. “One Tin Soldier” by Coven. For some reason, I just love it!

15. Funk#49 by The James Gang, anything by Led Zeppelin, Hero and Heroine by The Strawbs

16. obsession by animotion

still love it!

17. Yoda, by Weird Al

Or if you want something serious, Everything I Do, by Bryan Adams.
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Music Monday =-.

18. I recommend” Don’t try to lay any Boogie Woogie on the king of rock and roll” by Long John Baldry. Great song.Early british roch it’s pronounced Boo and woo not the amercanized boogie woogie.

19. Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo.. Also, People Who Died by Jim Carroll Band- both great sing-along songs!

20. 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago- I always end up singing along!

21. For the shawl – Thing Called Love, Bonnie Raitt

22. If You Could Read My Mind – Gordon Lightfoot
    Piano Man – Billy Joel
    California Girls – Beach Boys
    Rhiannon – Fleetwood Mac
    Rule the World with Love – Barenaked Ladies
    Bailamos – Enrique Iglesias
    .-= CatBookMom´s last blog ..Time to Give =-.

23. ‘Tarzan’s Boy’ by Baltimoria
    ‘Diggin’ Your Scene’ by The Blow Monkeys

24. Diamond Dogs by Davis Bowie

25. Anything from Uriah Heep Live 1973.

26. Ok, I’m listening to AC/DC “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” right now. Or anything by Led Zeppelin, such as “The Immigrant Song” — another favorite!!

27. Shirley. in PA says:

Forever in Blue Jeans by Neil Diamond. This is my theme song. :)

28. Hurts So Good – John Mellencamp
    Jack and Diane – John Mellencamp
    Small Town – John Mellencamp
    Walk Tall – John Mellencamp
    Free Fallin’ – Tom Petty
    Learning to Fly – Tom Petty
    Mary Jane’s Last Dance – Tom Petty
    Don’t Come Around Here No More – Tom Petty
    American Girl – Tom Petty
    Daydream Believer – The Monkees
    I’m a Believer – The Monkees

29. LilChickadee says:

“The Way You Do the Things You Do” by the UB40s

30. Freya in Californeya says:

“Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen. Say, wouldn’t that be a great name for a shawl?

31. Ahab the Arab

32. Tower of Power, “What is Hip?” I was going to suggest “25 or 6 to 4″ but someone already beat me to it! ;)

33. Everyone should have “Hungry Like the Wolf” by Duran Duran downloaded on their mp3 player. So hard to choose just 50 tunes!
    .-= Rusty M.´s last blog .. =-.

34. I think just about any Bruce Springsteen song from Darkness on the Edge of Town or The River is perfect for this time of year, or of course, from Born to Run (Backstreets and Thunder Road, in particular, oh and Jungleland) All very end of summer.

35. RedfordPhyl says:

“Beyond Here Lies Nothin’” by Bob Dylan — and you can actually understand him. Seriously, HBO has used this for True Blood promos, and I can’t sit still when I listen to it.

36. “Dust in the Wind” Kansas

37. Something by The Beatles

(Apparently there’s a renewed Beatles Mania for the 21st century – all of their albums are being digitally remastered. Nice.)

38. Don McLean’s American Pie is a must and Vincent is actually my favorite by him. (I have my favorite pattern already picked out!)

39. No Sugar Tonight and American Woman by the Guess Who

Dust in The Wind by Kansas

40. Well, Malia certainly covered most everything but I’ll throw in Get Ready by the Temptations, If I Were a Carpenter by the Four Tops, Can’t Hurry Love by Diana Ross, I Like Bread and Butter by The New Beats. Your green socks are bee-yoo-tee-full!!

41. Let’s see… here’s some of my favorite “driving music”, or music I like to knit to:

Creedence Clearwater Revival “Chronicle Vol 1″
    The Eagles “The Very Best of The Eagles”
    Journey “Revolution”
    Elton John “Greatest Hits”
    Hap Palmer “Quiet Places” (this one is GREAT for right before bed- very relaxing!)
    Jim Brickman “Escape”
    Kings of Leon “Only By The Night” (not 60′s-90′s but still one of my faves)
    Mat Kearney “Nothing Left To Lose” (ditto above)
    Pearl Jam “No Code”
    Radiohead “The Bends” and “OK Computer”
    Sister Hazel “Somewhere More Familiar”

I know I listed albums and not individual songs, but I highly recommend all of these- plus your iTunes dollar will go further if you buy whole albums! :) Hope something on here catches your fancy!
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..More baby stuff! =-.

42. “Taxi” by Harry Chapin
    “The Locomotion” (who did sing that one?)
    “Please come to Boston” by Dave Loggins

43. Don’t Fear the Reaper – Blue Oyster Cult. One of my all time favorites.

44. I’ll Be There by the Four Tops…..vintage Motown

45. I love Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five” or anything by him.

46. Wuthering Heights by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.

47. “Ship of Fools” by World Party

48. I just purchased the newest album by the band Wilco. It’s not from the 60′s throught the 90′s however. The group has been around for over 10 years and they are reminiscent of Dylan, Tom Petty and the like. They have an old school songwriter feel to them. I’d suggest anything from the album!
    .-= KozyKitty´s last blog ..Enough already! =-.

49. One of my all time favorites is Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf. Also, I have been craving some Dionne Warwick (Walk On By) lately. Nothing is more fun than shopping at iTunes!
    .-= Katherine´s last blog ..And The Beat Goes On =-.

50. In honor of the 68 days over 100 in Austin this summer – Hot, Hot, Hot by Buster Poindexter.

51. My all time favorite is Dancin’ in the Street by Martha and the Vandellas….makes me want to sing and dance!

52. How about “Spirit in the Sky”? Can’t help singing along to that one…would go well with “Magic Carpet Ride”, too.

53. Kathryn Sigman says:

I love the sock you’re working on! The color is beautiful! I love “Blackbird” by the Beatles, “Not Fade Away” by the Rolling Stones, and “Volunteers* by Jefferson Airplane, and anything by the Grateful Dead.

54. Somebody Bring Me Some Water – Melissa Etheridge

55. Stacy and the five rugrats says:

Grease Lightning!

56. Sorry! I’m listening to Pandora at work and I’ve got a few more since I’m staying later than planned.
    Only wanna be with you – Hootie & the Blowfish
    6th Ave Heartache – The Wallflowers
    Lonely Ol’ Night – John Mellencamp
    For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield
    Runaway Train – Soul Asylum
    Heartache Tonight – The Eagles
    Save Tonight – Eagle-Eye Cherry
    Bright Lights – Matchbox Twenty
    Time – Hootie & the Blowfish
    There She Goes – The La’s
    Run-around – Blues Traveler
    You Don’t Know How it Feels – Tom Petty
    Real World – Matchbox Twenty
    The Joker – Steve Miller Band

57. How about some Charlie Daniels? The Devil Went Down to Georgia or Orange Blossom Special. Ray Stevens’ Eric the Awful.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Summer’s Here! =-.

58. Lorraine C. says:

American Pie by Don McLean – At 8 minutes long, you get more song for your money.

59. “Morning Has Broken,” by Cat Stevens

60. “Sullivan” by Caroline’s Spine
    .-= Sherry´s last blog ..Book Trailer =-.

61. No Rain by Blind Melon
    Two Princes by Spin Doctors

62. Elsie Hughes says:

” Aubrey ” by Bread.

63. Volcano by Jimmy Buffett

64. The Gypsy Cried by Lou Christie

65. Maria Katechis says:

Whitney Houston’s version of “I Will Always Love You” – one of my favs.

66. “I’m a believer” will help me believe that I can be chosen!!

67. Donny Osmond Go Away Little Girl *swoon*
    .-= Susan Mohr Krupke´s last blog ..Magical April =-.

68. Who doesn’t like a little Styx? “Too Much Time on My Hands” one of my faves!

69. I’m Only Sleeping
    -The Beatles

70. Okay, I just gotta say that I love the little monster avatars & I wanted to see what the next one was – that’s why I am posting again!

71. Two great boppin’ songs and one inspirational:
    I Feel Lucky – Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Graceland – Paul Simon
    Morning Has Broken – Cat Stevens

72. Reminiscing by Little River Band…..

73. Two I bet nobody else will mention: “Rasputin” by Boney M and “Le Freak” by Chic
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Fireworks in My Backyard =-.

74. anne marie in philly says:

pink – “get the party started”

the kentucky headhunters – “walk softly on this heart of mine”

cher – “believe”

huey lewis and the news – “I want a new drug”

75. “One Moment in Time” by Whitney Houston.

76. “Sunday Morning Coming Down” by Kris Kristoffersen
    Nice socks………….

77. Wow, that is a problem picking THE song to inspire Wendy.
    2 of my favorites from the era are Santana and BLACK MAGIC WOMAN. Do you remember the frat party where you had sangria for the first time and this was playing on the turntable? Ohh, that was my memory…

Or 5 pm fridays, in the dorm at nursing school , we all cued up Marvin Gay for some housemother annoying….LET’S GET IT ON… and then we went in for the kill with the raciest song possible, BABY BABY, YOU SURE LOVE TO B***.
    Picture 5 story U shaped building all windows open in inner court, and housemother foaming on floor 1. The house phone would start going! LOL.

78. Wendy, you need a change. How about Mozart, Marriage of Figaro? Some Steeleyespan? Bach, lots of Bach. Cantatas are good. Messiah – you got Messiah yet? Strauss – Der Rosenkavalier? Just call me for me ideas!

How much Lonnie Donnegan (sp?) do you have?

79. One of my favorites is Mary Chapin Carpenter’s The Bug

SometimeS you’re the windshield, Sometimes you’re the bug!

80. Always by Bon Jovi!!!!!!!!!!!!
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..AC/DC freebie =-.

81. Three for the price of one:

“Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves

“Galileo” by the Indigo Girls

“Old Dominion” by Eddie from Ohio
    .-= sprite´s last blog ..moon, sun, and star =-.

82. Elizabeth C. says:

“Hide and Seek” Imogen Heap

“Human of the Year” Regina Spektor

83. Edie Swartz says:

“Boardwalk” by the Beach Boys
    “Bridge over Troubled Water” Simon & Garfunkel

84. Get some Pete Yorn from musicforthemorningafter. Strange Condition is an excellent choice!

85. “Yellow Submarine” for the fun of it!!!

86. “Life in a Northern Town” by The Dream Academy.

87. “In My Life” The Beatles, 1965 — and “our” song for my husband and I!
    .-= twinsetjan´s last blog ..21 ping salute =-.

88. Laurie Joslyn says:

Oh, sixties, my favorite- all that wonderful Vietnam era stuff! Do you like the Mamas and the Papas?

Twelve Thirty (Young Girls are Coming to the Canyon)
    Monday, Monday

Jeffereson Airplane’s Coming Back to Me

Ike and Tina Turner- Proud Mary
    CCR- Looking Out My Back Door, Run Through the Jungle and Favorite Son

89. Just about anything by Carly Simon “Clouds in my coffee” or “You’re so vain”
    love her Pat

90. Lovefool by the Cardigans

A totally random choice from my iTunes to your’s.
    .-= Silverlotus´s last blog ..Castles and Trees =-.

91. Under the Milky Way – The Church
    Southern Cross – Crosby Stills & Nash
    The Passenger – Iggy Pop
    Sugar Magnolia – Grateful Dead

Those were just the first four to pop into my mind…
    .-= Beth Bachuss´s last blog ..This Summer =-.

92. I forgot Fleetwood Mac——anything

93. I love it when you ask for music requests. I recently borrowed a best of the 90′s CD collection from a friend of mine, and it reminded me of my childhood.

One Week: Barenaked Ladies
    Walking on Broken Glass: Annie Lennox
    Good: Better than Ezra
    Closer to Fine: Indigo Girls
    One Headlight: The Wallflowers
    6th Avenue Heartache: The Wallflowers
    What I Got: Sublime
    It’s All for You: Sister Hazel
    O.P.P: Naughty by Nature
    Never Gonna Get it: En Vogue

Another ones I highly recommend, but are not in the time line you specified, are Norah Jones, india.arie, Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, and John Mayer.
    .-= Andrea´s last blog .. =-.

94. How about… Rattled by the Traveling Wilburys?

95. “Sounds of Silence”, Simon & Garfunkel
    “Blue Eyes Cryin’ in the Rain”, Willie Nelson
    “Time in a Bottle”, Jim Croce
    “Desperado”, Eagles or Clint Black version
    “Seven Spanish Angels”, Willie Nelson & Ray Charles
    “Smokey Mountain Rain”, Ronnie Milsap
    “Fernando”, Abba
    Check out Ladysmith Black Mambazo, http://www.mambazo.com/

96. Hmmmmmmmm….

I worked in NYC in the late ’60s and early ’70s – what a great era to be there! Just realized that my apt. was only a couple blocks from where Knitty City is located today. (Hope you enjoy your visit!) Being wildly in love, walking in Central Park together on a sunny Sunday afternoon – ahhhh… the memories….

Song suggestion: The Rain, The Park, and Other Things – by The Cowsills

97. I’ve been on a “Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba kick

and “Beast of Burden” (the Stones of course although Bette Middler did a great cover)

98. Anything by Gordon Lightfoot. I’m totally hooked, even though I wasn’t born until 1980.

99. Can’t Help Falling in Love by Elvis – My favorite.

100. Turn Turn Turn (To everything there is a season) sung by the Byrds.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..A new project; an old pattern =-.