1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Needle Storage

Gail asked in the comments:

How do you store your needles? Do you keep them in the original Addi bags and sizes together? I’m just beginning to have enough needles that I need to determine a better way to keep them organized.

I have this:

Storage091709 160x240 Needle Storage

The Tower o’ Needles!

It has a total of ten drawers.

I put each size in a separate drawer (though the larger sizes are doubled and tripled up) and for the most part I do keep them in their original packaging.

The size zero drawer is jammed full. icon smile Needle Storage

I’ve had the Tower o’ Needles for several years. I bought it somewhere like Staples or Office Depot. While it not exactly fine furniture, it serves its purpose very well!

In Knitting News

I have turned the heel on my commuter sock.

SIP091709 240x160 Needle Storage

And I did not knit at all on the True Love Stole last night. I spent the majority of my knitting time working on non-knitting things.

Shocking, isn’t it?

Since this is an “at home” weekend, I’m hoping to get in some quality time with my True Love. icon smile Needle Storage

Speaking of true love . . .

I Heart Wollmeise

I loved the comment that Natalie made about the pic of my Wollmeise I posted yesterday:

Claudia is amazing – the picture just jumped out at me & yelled Wollmeise. Mmmm. Perfect colours.

So true. Wollmeise is an original. Ain’t nuthin’ that compares to it as far as I’m concerned. Period. The end.

Several of you asked what I was going to do with my Wollmeise bounty. As I said, I bought it sight-unseen in a grab bag. I figured I’d make socks with it. But don’t those colorways look fabulous together? Here: I’ll post the pic again:

Wollmeise091609 240x160 Needle Storage

Five skeins of Wollmeise Twin (80/20 wool/nylon) which is a total of 2550 yards of fingering weight yarn. What would you do?

Lucy thinks I should give her a treat. But really, that is her answer to a lot of things.

Lucy091709 240x160 Needle Storage

Comments

1. Hmmmm, ok I wouldn’t do this, but stranded cardi?

2. Rearrange them a little, and I think you have a lovely graduating color shawl. Of course, that puts all the Wollmeise in one project, instead of sharing the wealth.

3. Definitely a multi-color, non-shawl garment, maybe a kimono or long tunic? Then again, you could make one hell of a cool shawl. Actually with that yardage you could make a couple of things.Or you could send them to me to play with. Yeah, that’s what you should do.

4. Linda in Chicagoland says:

It would be fabulous as many things, but several of my knitting buds have been gathering up colors for Charlotte’s Web. So that’s what i thought of when I saw your bounty.

5. Maria Katechis says:

I’d make a shawl out of them – something like the Koigu Charlotte’s Web one where you start with one color, alternate with the second, knit the second by itself, and so on. That would be GORGEOUS in those yarns!

6. Good plan for the needle storage — very organized, keeps them dust free and easy to locate. But I do love this artful alternative for storing straights. http://woolfreeandlovinknit.typepad.com/wool-free-and-lovin-knit/2009/09/knitting-needles-stored-in-style.html

7. I know you will invent something uniquely you and creative :) Enjoy your weekend!
    .-= Mo´s last blog ..Nothing gets finished in the summer =-.

8. How about a sweater? I know someone who knit a sweater from sock yarn, although she did say she thought it would be a long time before she did it again.

Debbie

9. anne marie in philly says:

mos def a shawl of some sort!

steven and meredith say: “meow cousin lucy, a treat is the ONLY answer to every question in the universe!”

10. Cardigan gets my vote too. It would look beautiful especially in the greyness of winter.

Best get Lucy a treat. That look is an order for sure.
    .-= Dorothy´s last blog ..Seven Years… =-.

11. That is an excellent needle organizer. I think the new yarn would make stunning lace, but that might be my answer for everything ; )
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Munch, Munch =-.

12. Linda from Kansas says:

I myself would probably make a simple shawl/wide scarf thing with it. They are gorgeous colors together. Or someone said a cardigan.

13. I love the yarn and colours! Very me. Now I much prefer when using a random yarn to use a techinque which shows off the colours.

So something using short rows as in modular knits or module knitting eg a vest with the squares on point. Or a wrap using short rows and or modules. I recently design an edging using modular techingues and it showed up the colour changes beautifully I am sure you could come up with something creative!

As a side note I always knit my modules together or use short rows as I can bear all those ends to darn in later!

Have fun. Wish we could get Wollmeise here downunder but chances are slim!

Enjoy and happy knitting.
    .-= Beverley´s last blog ..Depression to expression =-.

14. Who could resist giving that face a treat?

15. That Wollmeise screams multi coloured shawl to me!
    .-= Valerie´s last blog ..Back to the Cardi =-.

16. I love the sock! great idea for storage, btw, Lucy can sure give ya the eye, lol

17. When I first saw the Wollmeise photo I thought the colors were just perfect for a lace shawl I have been wanting to do. I’ve done this particular shawl 2 times but never captured the look with the yarns I’ve used, but I’ve never found Wollmeise so I had no idea they had any colorways so vibrant. Simply gorgeous!

18. I cannot wait to show Al your Tower o’ Needles as he is stymied at how I continue to buy needles, especially in size 0, plus he will enjoy the photo of Lucy. Gorgeous Wollmeise – I wonder how they would look knit up into a mitered square pullover.

19. Would make a gorgeous circular shawl! You know how much I love your shawls! Perhaps a Christmas shawl? Anything you chose will be lovely.
    .-= Sue Johnson´s last blog ..Rav Meet Up =-.

20. Lucy is wise- treats are the answer to our joys and woes.

I see something somewhat lacy, with color panels (each skein as a panel/section)- perhaps a ruana or kimono style jacket. Mitered squares would work too.

21. I love the colours the designer used in this shawl: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ten-stitch-triangle but I think it would look lovely with some of the Wollmeise too. And it only uses 300g, so you’d still have 2 hanks left over for socks!

22. i would have to hold it for awhile to think on it. It will tell you, eventually, what it wants to be.

23. Celestine Getty says:

Hi Wendy,
    I so look forward to your blog. I read it immediately after cleaning up after dinner which gives me permission to sit and knit. You have enough yarn to do a spectacular shawl with matching socks,scarf,hat and mini handbag. I can just imagine a shawl with the colors traveling accross. The color of the yarn reminds of a beautiful Autumn. Please, please, please create another shawl pattern…l

24. While everyone is commenting on the yarn, I’ll comment on needle storage. I have large 3-ring binders into which I have inserted clear plastic covers, marked by felt-tip pen with the needle sizes. DP’s are separate from the circs; each cover contains a size of either a circ or a DP, such as the zeros, ones, etc. Easy to see what’s available!

25. I would give it to a gal who’s never tried it nor can find it (i.e. Your’s Truly). LOL
    .-= Nathalie´s last blog ..Is It Really Only Tuesday? =-.

26. Those colors do look great together. I’m thinking a gigantic wonderful Charlottes Web!
    .-= Jadielady´s last blog ..Random weekend stuff. =-.

27. I’m firmly in the shawl or wrap camp, though I would carry it around a Hank or two at a time so I could pet it and see if it would tell me what it wanted to be!

28. Robin Diebold says:

I love the colors. I also think it would make an awesome shawl!

29. given your latest shawl kick, I suggest a beautiful multi colored shawl.
    .-= Eli´s last blog ..What we have done to our house. =-.

30. Those yarns are screaming one (possibly) two gorgeous shawls!!!

31. I need to find something to do with my needles… my box is now too full to close the lid…

When I saw that picture I thought it would make a lovely shawl, with one colour leading into the next.
    .-= LadyO´s last blog ..Too Much To Explain, Let Me Sum Up =-.

32. Charlotte’s Web shawl. That’s what I’d do with the WM
    .-= boutrosbabe´s last blog ..Christmas Projct #1: Mom’s Maine Morning Mitts =-.

33. I think I would make an autumn cardigan, myself, and a lacy scarf out of the rest of it in a lace motif resembling leaves (HA! As if I could make my own lace pattern, but you are very talented in that, so if I was you I would.)

You know, a scarf, mitten, and sock set would be nice.
    .-= pmoys´s last blog ..Yarn Diet =-.

34. Eep! I meant gloves, not mittens! That’ll teach me to post when I’m sleepy.
    But yes, a lacy scarf, and maybe a lacy tam or other sort of hat, maybe a little maple leaf brooch, and some lovely socks with an acorn or maple leaf pattern.
    .-= pmoys´s last blog ..Yarn Diet =-.

35. that yarn is so gorgeous, whatever you make you should keep for YOU. Having never encountered Wollmeise in person, but hearing endless raves about it, I hope sometime someone will tell mewhat is so special about it.
    .-= Kathy´s last blog ..Mole Alert: Tweet the Giraffe =-.

36. I think that’s begging to be a shawl with color gradations like Charlotte’s Web. I’d recommend that one, but surely you did it ages ago when it was first making the rounds on the web?

Then again, I used WM for a Clapotis once, and as soon as I was done I realized the yarn really wanted to be socks. I mean it was a gorgeous scarf/stole, but the yarn gave me a funny look and said socks.

Also, I think there is a problem with a pattern in your book. The heel isn’t turning. I mean I’m sitting here on the computer, and it’s over there on the couch, and no progress is being made.
    .-= Jessi´s last blog ..Monday, Monday =-.

37. I would have to make a pair of socks with the yarn, but I think that you would have enough to make some darling Christmas ornaments. The new Knit Simple magazine has quite a few patterns for ornaments. Have fun with it!!

38. A Charlotte’s Web shawl, that’s what I would do.

39. I agree those skeins would make a fantastic Charlotte’s Web!

40. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for those beautiful colors! I have a question, though, that may seem a little silly, but are those “commuter socks” for people to wear who commute, or can we only knit the pattern while commuting? (tee-hee) I like the way they’re looking — let us know when you post the pattern!

41. love those colors together! i think a longish “car type coat” would be gorgeous and perfect for fall and the holidays in those colors. SOmething that with even jeans and a t go perfect for almost anything!
    .-= turtle´s last blog ..willpower! i was a good girl! =-.

42. Thanks for sharing the tip about the needle organizer! It’s a Tower o’ Brilliance!

I vote for a shawl, Charlotte’s Web looks pretty, but maybe something unique, like, ummm…say…a new Wendy shawl pattern!

And you could name it something autumn-y and bounty-ish. :)

43. Pam aka inlovewithalpaca says:

I would make the Charlotte’s web shawl out of those five skeins of WM. They would be perfect and you’d have some left over to make some socks as well.

44. I’m going to staples tomorrow…Those colors are so yummy, I say make a beautiful scarf with gradual color cange. and matching beret/tam and mittens

45. Elsie Hughes says:

I would adore the yarn for a while and then make a shawl. Lucky girl!

46. It’s amazing how great minds think alike. The minute I saw that grouping of yarn I thought, “OHHHH! That would make an amazing Charlotte’s Web!” When you asked what to make of it I clicked on “comment” feeling all original and interesting and find that a whole crowd of people already said it. If you’ve somehow managed to not see one made up, please do not go by that BUTT-UGLY photo they have on the Koigu website. I’ve seen it done up many times (a shop owner I know sort of specializes in putting together colorways for this shawl) and it is gorgeous.

47. I’m not QUITE ready for that Tower O’ Needles yet, but I think I’m on my way there.

So where’s Lucy’s treat, huh?
    .-= Hissy Stitch´s last blog ..Free Pattern: Garter Stripe Afghan =-.

48. For the Wollmeise I’d do a graduated-colour shawl holding two strands of the sock yarn together and slowly changing them, a la Charlotte’s Web.

49. Smart kitty, that Lucy!

50. o.k. question time. What is the link to the Wollmeise site? Is it in English? The site i found showed currency in Euro. How do you find anything in sock at that site? How much a skein? and lastly – how long does it take to receive the good once your order is placed?

51. I am still amazed by that yarn — it is absolutely identifiable as Claudia’s. Wonderful colors. I didn’t know she did grab bags like that — that would certainly be a score! I’m thinking these colors would be great in one of your shawl designs with the transitions made in the same manner as the Charlotte’s Web shawl as others have mentioned.

52. I’d make a lacy shawl for fall with those colors… maybe one color fading into another, somehow… mmm…. delicious!

53. Gorgeous colors! I would knit a sweater with it or a huge shawl.

54. Belinda Giliberti says:

Well, I know so many people have commented on the yarn and I have quite a collection so I know how amazing it is, so no need to comment any further. I did want to comment on your petite (I think, I can’t tell how big it is from the picture) KIP bag from 3am enchantments. I got the happy hearts one from TLE. I was so close to getting the flowers one that you have (so cute), but it sold out before I got it, did you take the last one??? :-)

55. I would use it on several projects – wanting to make it last. Socks, baby cardigan, lacy shawlette for my daughter, lacy shawletee for my mom socks again – yep – I would certainly want this beauty to last. Of course at first I would just spend time fondling it and letting the yarn tell me what it would like to be.
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Hello? =-.

56. Look at that poor cat all starving to death! Why you can see the bottom of her food bowl!

57. I have a box for my circular needles (which doesn’t really hold them all) and a needle roll for my dpns. Your system looks like it would save me a lot of time and effort trying to find a specific size needle.

I like the idea of the Charlotte’s Web shawl, but that might be because I avoided making it when the flush of madness for the project came over blogland a few years ago. Socks aside, I have a hard time making projects that it seems like everyone else is making.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..mbta == stupid =-.

58. Sigh – - just look at all that Wollmeise goodness. My, my. The colors are perfect for each other – - perhaps a gorgeous shawl or throw?

But more important, look at that Lucy goodness! She is too cute for words. My kittys’ answer to everything is definately “treats!”.

Have a good, relaxing weekend with Lucy and your knitting. :-)

59. Pam from Kansas says:

Wow! I thought I had a lot of needles. I don’t feel so bad now.

60. I also quilt and when I saw the colors I instantly thought of a lap rug – knit in blocks, using different techniques and then sewn together. Or use the technique where you knit a block, then turn, pick up stitches along the side, knit, turn and continue, sort of a crazy quilt. Other wise, what about the scarf/shawl that’s shown in this month’s “Spin-Off” – featured on the cover? The color gradations would look wonderful, especially if you widened it. Another option is a pattern called “Inside Out Scarf” from Knitting Universe
    And finally, what about an entrelac scarf/shawl? Or, as someone else suggested, you could share : )
    What ever you do, can’t wait to watch its progress!!!

61. NewJerseyLaura says:

Love the tower ‘o needles! With that lovely yardage, I’d double the yarn and made a dk sweater. Maybe even your weekend sweater because the colors are so fabulous.

62. Well I would say shawl – but the yardage is a bit much – it would be a biiiiiggg shawl :-)

But I could see a top down garment – it would take a bit of fiddling to keep the colour graduations to keep between the sleeves and the body, but it’s doable :-)

63. Laura in Taos says:

I never have more than a couple of size 0s lying around. That is because it is Didi’s (my Am Bully) favorite treat and she has chewed up probably 25 sets of Knitpicks 0 circs.

64. Wendy – we laypersons have to know, how did you get so many size zero needles? Do you use all of them from time to time? I never know how Roseann keeps track of all her needles, except that she has so many projects ongoing.
    .-= Al´s last blog ..Berroco Sox Completed =-.

65. Wendy – we laypersons have to know, how did you get so many size zero needles? Do you use all of them from time to time? I never know how Roseann keeps track of all her needles, except that she has so many projects ongoing.
    .-= Al´s last blog ..Berroco Sox Completed =-.

66. I’m still drooling over your perfect colours of Wollmeise. I think if I had that many skeins of Wollmeise that agreed so well with each other I’d have to make a fitting garment of some kind – sweater, cardigan, jacket. But it would probably take me forever to get started because I’d be afraid of doing the yarn an injustice. Can’t wait to see what you do with it!
    .-= Natalie´s last blog ..Launch of Chrysler Crown pattern! =-.

67. I’m a relative newby to using hand-spun and dyed fiber and I recently purchased some beautifully made alpace yarn, but the dye is coming off on my hands as I work with it. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do before I continue – it’s already in a ball….or do I have to wait until I block it (I’m making a scarf) and then – vinegar? Any suggestions or help? Thanks!!!

68. Kerrye Dixon says:

Totally off-topic, but I used to be a fan on Plurk and now you are all with the *private*. :( I’m sorry if you were getting spammed. But I miss your Plurks.

69. Oh my….THAT many size 0s? I don’t think I even own one! :) but I am not the sock goddess!!

70. OH! Purdies!! I think it is screaming colorwork! You know you like to do that colorwork with the small needles. :)
    .-= Daniele´s last blog ..A Blanket for Daniel, and Tequila Sunrise =-.

71. I would totally make some kind of epic sweater. I do love me some bright colors.

I can’t wait to see what you make out of it!
    .-= kate´s last blog ..sigh. =-.

72. sounds weird, but i would do socks. Lots and lots of socks, people think im insane., But i love making socks. And worse, if they weren’t claim prior by my family (mom/sibs) I would give them to chairty (As i dont really wear socks…. ironic isn’t it?)