1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

This past weekend I taught my leftover sock yarn class for the first time. A big part of the class is all about mitered shapes — how to knit ‘em, and how to attach them to each other to actually make things.

I have a mitered square piece that I started before class, and I added to during class. Here is what it looks like now:

Miters102809 240x160 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

I thought it would be fun to post a pic of it periodically. I don’t plan on doing much knitting on it outside of class, but thought it would be fun to keep track of my progress on it.

I’ve done my last teaching gig of the year, so don’t expect to see this again anytime soon.

About that class . . .

Included with the class was a handout with 7 other fun little projects you can create from leftover sock yarn. I posted a photo of them last week:

Leftovers102809 240x220 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

Since then, I’ve gotten a whole lot of emails asking if I’d make the patterns available for people can’t get to one of my classes. I wasn’t going to just yet, but have changed my mind since I’ve had so many requests. I’ve made the 7 patterns available as booklet and you can purchase it for $7.00 (that’s $7.00 for 7 patterns) from my Ravelry store. Here is the Ravelry link for the pattern booklet. These are all very speedy little knits that would be great for quickie holiday gifts and adornments. All details are on the Ravelry page.

I realize that there are some of you that might want just one of the seven patterns and paying seven bucks to get it seems a tad steep. Sorry about that! I did give a fair amount of thought to pattern delivery, and decided to go this route.

And now for some Assorted Random Bits.

Random Bit #1:

When I got home from work today, I found that Lucy had been arranging some of her toys.

Toys102809 240x160 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

She does this quite a lot. I always wonder what her purpose is.

Clearly she is worn out from that endeavor.

Lucy102809 240x160 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

Random Bit #2:

A couple of weeks ago I got some free samples of a bunch of natural/homeopathic stuff — and this was one of the samples:

Calms102809 240x215 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

Notice anything funny about it?

Random Bit #3:

I’m a-working along on my second Bamboo Sock. My goal is to have this pair a done deal by the end of the week.

SIP102809 160x240 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

Random Bit #4:

It was pouring rain when I went to work this morning. At noon it was sunny with blue sky. Driving home from the train station it looked like this:

Sky102809 240x180 Projects for Leftover Sock Yarn

Crazy weather.

A Serious Note:

KnitNana Sallee sent me information on a member of her community, a young woman who has been missing since October 17: Morgan Harrington. There is a website with information about her here. You can probably imagine the horror her family is going through right now. I’m just helping to spread the word in my little corner of the world. Take a look at the site, keep your eyes open, and spread the word if you can, please.

Comments

1. Lori Beard says:

I am a dork. This morning I couldn’t see what was wrong…and now, I can. I guess I’m more awake in the afternoons.

2. My favorite project for leftover sock yarn is preemie caps for the local hospital. Always check with the NICU ahead of time, though, to see if they have any fiber requirements. Some want no acrylic, some want only acrylic, and some want any fiber that will withstand being soaked in antiseptic.

Our little Princess Belle likes to carry around an orange stuffed beaver that is half her size every evening, mewing piteously. I wonder what she’s imagining as she sings her nightly aria?
    .-= HissyStitch´s last blog ..Making some little differences on Make a Difference Day =-.

3. Sort of funny that a sleeping aid would have a non-drowsy formula… But we wouldn’t want you to sleep or anything! LOL

I’m going to have to get that booklet just so I have something official that says “Decrease for the butt” — one of my favorite knitting instructions ever :)
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Politics, Anyone? =-.

4. Heh heh–non-drowsy! The projects look like fun! Now I know I need to find my printer (it’s missing since the Great House Reno Project last year) and get busy downloading some patterns!
    .-= mehitabel´s last blog ..Random Musings =-.

5. A sleeping aid that is non drowsy? Let me know how that works. :-)

6. Your “mitered square piece” is most fascinating. I really like it. That homeopathic sleep aid remedy sounds off-kilter. I have tried homeopathic remedies and NONE of them have ever worked for me. Thank you for the 7 patterns (whatever the price). I will order the booklet.

7. The “what to do with” class was loads of fun. I love the little mitered squares. Wendy is tres fabu!

8. I know is seems weird, non-drowsy, because it is calming, I use it and it works during the day for stress and take more at night for sleep. I don’t use it all the time, only when I feel stressed. Good stuff, my hubby found.
    .-= Larkspur Studio´s last blog ..Goodness =-.

9. I love all of the little leftover projects! So cute. :)
    .-= Deinera´s last blog ..Harbor of Learning =-.

10. Hmm – non-drowsy sleep aid. Isn’t that an oxymoron?

I hope the girl is found.

11. Non-drowsy formula sleep aid?? Tee!

Although, I always thought Calms Forte was just supposed to relax you, if you were tense, not so much put you to sleep!

12. lol non-drowsy. my brother had to take stuff like that, its just so you wake up ‘refreshed’
    .-= HAEdwards´s last blog ..So I gave up on the Shawl =-.

13. geneticsgirl says:

I feel stupid…I didn’t notice what was wrong with the Sleep Aid…

14. Melissa McKee says:

Thank you for making the let over sock yarn patterns available. I’ll be buying it in a few days once the printer is fixed.

15. Seven dollars for seven patterns sounds like a great deal to me, especially when they’re your patterns!

16. Oh, that sleepaid package had me howling — too funny. By the looks of Lucy, she was into it.
    .-= Wool Free and Lovin’ Knit´s last blog ..A Little Escapism =-.

17. I think Lucy’s planning for a gallery opening- the rearranged toys look like a found object art installation. She’s going for maximum effect.

18. Elizabeth H. says:

A non-drowsy sleep aid – sounds like something the government came up with.

19. Crack me up. What idiot wrote the copy for that sleep aid that is non drowsy?
    Almost as annoying as the ( non aspirin add) that says, ” its an anti pyretic ,and a fever reducer”. Now many might miss that , but it drove you nuts what antipyretic means…. , it means anti fever.

I’m not sure if it annoys, amuses me more that they think we are idiots, or that they are idiots and someone pays them to do this job.

Well, now I feel better…anyone else? 8) Cranky ex RN

20. Are you sending in that non-drowsy formula in to Consumer Reports, for their Selling It page? Hyland’s needs better packing designers!

21. “No Causa Fatiga” ? Well that stinks! What is a sleep aid supposed to do? Love your blog! I read it everyday!

Meow Lucy!

22. Sorry that I missed out on the class! Difficult to manage when you are in transit.LOL
    But did make the booki signing, toes and heels class! So not all was a loss.:-) All of which was great I might add, as well as all of the wonderful people that I met at SWAK .Thank you for making the patterns available- already downloaded mine.

23. My view on the Calms Forte was just that it was honest labeling.

24. Great patterns for all the leftovers I have and plan to have as this year becomes the year of the socks. Thanks, been to Rav and own the booklet. You do great work!
    .-= DonnaW´s last blog ..Weekend Update – Weather and Spooky =-.

25. Guess we need to be wary of our USA Homeopathics – no matter how much we need to sleep we still don’t want to be drowsy..? at least it wasn’t made in China and imported.

26. A non-drowsy sleep aid! Their marketing folks must have been on vacation that week!

27. Sometimes I think I’ve used a non-drowsy sleep aid! LOL Thanks for the patterns of the tiny stuff – I’ve already gotten mine and can hardly wait to start using up some yarn!

28. The goofy sleep aid reminds me of a shop in a nearby town. “Novelle Antiques” I kid you not.
    .-= ruth´s last blog ..The Yarnarian Brings You Dragon Jewels. =-.

29. My cat somehow loses her mice. We live in an one-bedroom apartment, and we have no idea where these mice are. We believe that after we move, we’ll receive a call saying “We found all these mice in your apartment…” and we will go, “WHERE WERE THEY?!”
    .-= Andrea´s last blog .. =-.

30. Non drowsy – maybe that means it’ll knock you out? No mere drowsiness here! You’ll be dead out in minutes!

31. I think that mitered sock yarn project is great. I have thought about doing something like that, and I think you have a great idea. I would probably do best to make it a long-term, no-pressure type of thing.

Yeah, cause you don’t want your sleep aid to make you drowsy, eh?
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Wool Weather =-.

32. I know the package is funny on that sleep-aid but it’s actually a wonderful product… and I think what it means by non-drowsy is that it doesn’t make you feel groggy the next day after you’ve used it. Most products make me feel that way, but that one in particular is great because it doesn’t. Hope that clears up any confusion! :)
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..My little pumpkin =-.

33. Just the thing I need: ideas on what to do with those sock yarn scraps! Thanks. Someone was asking for my scraps to make a blanket but shipping cost is too dear so I’m rethinking it.

Lucy is so adorable. Clearly cats use their brain and not just look cute all the time.

Oh dear, I hope Morgan is found soon, safe and healthy. My mom told me that two days ago an 18-year old girl was raped by 10 men in an area near an internet cafe where my kids usually go. I shudder at the thought and promptly told the kids to get that darned internet line fixed at home.
    .-= Jocelyn´s last blog ..Must be Wednesday =-.

34. myra Harrell Fleming says:

I just love your little patchwork squares…very great look!

35. I can understand Larkspur’s comment about it calming you and leaving you refreshed, but it still looks awfully funny seeing the non-drowsy formula.

The woman’s family must be beside themselves with worry!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..wet wool =-.

36. My pet therapist (yes, there is such a thing) recommended Calms Forte for a psycho kitty I once had. It did help a little. I don’t think it made her sleepy though – must have been the non-drowsy formula. You should send that picture in to Consumer Reports – they have a page of WTF packaging on the last page of every issue.

37. I have Calms Forte but never noticed whether or not it was a non-drowsy sleep aid….
    .-= CarolineF´s last blog ..Ice Fantasia =-.

38. redriverknitter says:

I love your patterns for extra sock yarn, but I only have access to a computer at work so I am not a member of Raverly. Could you make it available in another fashion, say thru your website, or at Loopy Ewe so I can get mine?
    Lucy as usual is such a cut-up. (wonder what she thinks of her “web fame”?)
    My prayers to the girl and her family.

39. No Fair your gas is almost 20 cents cheeper

40. Hey Wendy! After I post on your blog, I’m zooming over to your Raverly store to buy the booklet – - thank you! Too cute about Lucy and her little toys. Our Pharaoh does similar things with his toys. I love when I wake up and find one or two sitting on the floor of my side of the bed or when I’m sitting and knitting I’ll hear a muffled meow and know he is coming down the hall with one stuffed in his mouth to deliver beside my chair. After he deposits it, he looks at me with this look and I wonder what he is thinking. I talk to him about how happy I am he brought me one of his “babies” and he typically proceeds to walk happily around me and talk some more. I’m off to buy the booklet so I can make him another “baby”! Thanks Wendy!

P.S. even tho you have fun traveling around, I wonder if you are like me – - happy to be home on the weekends with our furry children.

41. For the sock yarn, my suggestion would be to add your leftovers to it each time you finish a pair of socks. Then it would document how many socks you race through rather than how many times you teach the class. It would probably be a king-size bedspread in time for Valentine’s Day!

42. yep, those marketing/legal meetings of the minds are amazing sometimes…..

Sock yarn cat toys. I’m torn. My kitties don’t seem to be able to tell the difference between SIP and their fish. Problem. They love their fish. Not problem. They love their fish to pieces and I get fluff on my floor (and probably in my cats). Problem.

The first night we had my beloved Nacho (dog) (Get it????) we had to go somewhere and didn’t crate him so he could get used to the house without us following him around cooing and petting and treating. Came home to every shoe that was available to him *in a circle* in the middle of the living room floor. Love that doggie. Miss him much.

43. It’s in English and Spanish, not English and French. Oh, wait. That’s a Canada thing. ;)

Love a good sleep aid in Non-Drowsy. Wouldn’t want to fall asleep.
    .-= Dorothy´s last blog ..Happy Thanksgiving Canada! =-.

44. A non-drowsy formula for a sleep aid- I’ll pass. Love the socks

45. Wendy,
    Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about Morgan. The more eyes out there, the better.

46. Well thank goodness that sleep aid is the “non drowsy” formula PHEW!!!

47. OMG! You live very close to where my BFF lives! I’ll wave at your gas station when we’re down there for Christmas this year. :)

(Incidentally, I grew up very close to there as well)
    .-= Virginia´s last blog .. =-.

48. oh I love the little projects – thanks for making them available!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..New Sweater =-.

49. Hehehehehe — non-drowsy sleep aids. Heeeheheheheheh. And to think someone got a paycheck for that.

50. Dr. Jackie says:

Is it a tiny toe-up sock?

51. lol, non drowsy formula with a sleeping moon????
    .-= turtle´s last blog ..adorable pimp!! edited tues the 27th! =-.

52. $7 is not too much! Even if you only want to make one or two items. Thanks for making it available – I’m headed to Ravelry now!

53. I love working with the sock yarn mitered squares….am currently creating a shawl with my abundant supply of unused sock yarn. As a favor to your students, you might want to refer them to http://www.shellykang.com (The Heathen Housewife) for her story of how she has created a blanket from sock yarn scraps a couple of years ago….and she has links to the posts explaining how to do different parts of it….I needed to refer to it occasionally and am really glad to have that as a reference.