1. "T-Rex," designed by Rebecca Danger, knit from Blue moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in the "Lucky" colorway on U.S. size 3 needles.

Prometheus Unbound

This blog post should be titled “Chevron Stole Unbound” but “Prometheus Unbound” just sounds so much more dramatic, don’t you think?

However, that makes this sound like a post fraught with torment. Hmmmmmm. Well, blocking this stole did torment me a bit. When one has chronic back issues, crawling around the floor threading blocking wires through wet lace and pinning it out while a small but enthusiastic cat is bounding around and “helping” is, in retrospect, not a good idea.

But what’s done is done and I lived to tell the tale.

Lucy guarded it all day, waiting for me.

Lucy031610 240x160 Prometheus Unbound

I discovered that it is hard to photograph:

Chair031610 123x240 Prometheus Unbound

Another:

front031610 160x240 Prometheus Unbound

Another:

modeled031610 240x160 Prometheus Unbound

And a close-up:

closeup031610 240x160 Prometheus Unbound

Here’s the yarn for the next project:

yarn031610 240x160 Prometheus Unbound

This is Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20, in the “Topaz” colorway. It is 70% superwash merino, 20% cashmere, and 10% nylon. Very VERY soft!

Tune in tomorrow for more details!

It’s not every day that you glance out your office window and see elephants strolling down the street.

elephants031610 240x159 Prometheus Unbound

Apparently the circus just arrived in town.

Comments

1. It’s lovely! I agree, Prometheus Unbound does sound more dramatic. Is there any way to block something vertically instead of horizontally on the floor? Those elephants are cute!
    .-= biomaj5´s last blog ..That’s one item off of the list! =-.

2. I’m glad you got a shot. I wasn’t quite fast enough and arrived just as they were descending into the Verizon Center.
    .-= sprite´s last blog ..let the madness begin… =-.

3. Another beautiful piece of work off your needles. Love the name! The yarn-in-waiting looks very luxurious (and it’s my birthstone color also).

I thought the “circus” in DC has always been there. :)

4. It looks lovely! I have to say I wish the circus I’m in had elephants. Instead I just have whiny clowns. And they don’t wear makeup.

5. Gorgeous! But then, all your work is gorgeous.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..This is very cool and very good =-.

6. The stole is beautiful.
    .-= Ida´s last blog ..Peaceful and Serene Knitting =-.

7. Every year when you show that photo of the elephants coming to town I want to move to where you live.

The stole is beautiful and I’m sure it’s even more so in person.

8. Are the elephants Republican or Democrat? teehee.
    The stole is lovely and I love the colors.

9. What kind of blocks do you use to do your blocking? Lucy loves to help Mom out with blocking…

10. It’s either the circus, or the Republicans are making a point, or am I being redundant?

11. Samantha M. says:

I love the title “Prometheus Unbound” and it didn’t sound overly dramatic to me…. it also didn’t make me think about knitting. It’s the title of a season 8 episode of Stargate SG-1. :) Yeah, I’m a sci-fi geek. The stole is gorgeous though.

12. You work in DC–isn’t the circus ALWAYS in town? (Except on breaks and holiday weeks, I guess.)

Love your lace knitting–I do well with small projects, but that’s about it. Socks are much more my speed! I do love looking at photos of beautiful work, so that keeps me happy.

13. picadrienne says:

I was wondering if Prometheus (aka AGK) had gone visiting Miss Lucy, or had been swept away by the flood waters.

14. myra Harrell Fleming says:

The stole is luscious…all your work comes out luscious. I can also see that chevron in a triangle style shawlette to add to the book I want you to write. Thx for sharing such wonderful things. Even the elephante’s/

15. Absolutely stunning stole (how’s that for alliteration!). Gorgeous color too. I love biomaj5′s idea to block vertically – maybe something on the wall? A cork board? I see the possibility for a new product…marketed towards all knitters who’d rather not use their floor or bed for blocking – or who are space limited. :-)
    .-= Lynneth´s last blog ..A Noble Cowl =-.

16. Beautiful! Love the topaz color. Geez, I haven’t seen a circus in so long, it would be hilarious to see elephants going down the street.
    .-= Walden´s last blog ..TAST 2 – Week Two =-.

17. Gorgeous design…I love it! The elephants strolling down the street make me giggle…LOL
    .-= Roxanne´s last blog ..Brandywine. =-.

18. Stickweaver says:

Wendy that’s so lovely. I have been looking for a shawl pattern and I think I’ve found it. I am anxiously awaiting the pa[[ern.
    Kitties love it when you get down on the floor to ‘play’ with them.

19. I’m a HUGE fan of Zen Garden Squooshy sock yarn – I picked some up at Cloverhill a few weeks ago in a dreadfully boring colourway (Wheat). My husband picked it out because he was whining for new socks. Anyway, it’s gorgeous and really very Squooshy. Going to have to get more, I think. Let us know what you think about the Serenity. Those are the same ingredients as Sanguine Gryphon’s Bugga, which is so ridiculously gorgeous to knit with that I want to eat it up.

20. I love your stole and I know you will like Roxanne’s yarn for your next project. I love her yarns.
    .-= Lynda Hitt´s last blog ..Unconscious Mutterings for February 21 =-.

21. I LOVE Roxanne’s yarns!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for this one! (And the shawl is gorgeous – I’m glad you have such a sweet “helper!”)
    (((hugs)))
    .-= Knitnana & The Meezer´s last blog ..Spring Forward! (sigh) =-.

22. It is gorgeous!! You should see me try and make a bed with some very enthusiastic kitties. They cannot help themselves. They must “help”.

23. KatyaR and KatMayo “stole” my best jokes for this post about DC!
    Gorgeous work, once again.

Yes, Wendy, when are you going to admit that you just about have enough projects
    done now for a shawl book? I think this one would be another best seller, and we would all come and sit at your feet at book signings where ever you would go, Addi Lace Turbo’s and favorite sock or lace yarns in hand! I have told several of my friends in our knitting group (Presque Isle Stick Ladies on Ravelry) about your shawlettes knitted in one skein of sock yarn and they have gone nuts! I’m am sure they are going to be looking you up!
    .-= Elizabeth Payne´s last blog ..New Adventures and Ventures =-.

24. Very nice! I stand at my quilt cutting table to thread the wires, or I guess one could sit at their dining table. When I’m finished, I just pick it up and transfer it to the floor to pin it out.

25. Have you got a spare bed that you could put your blocking blocks on? I can’t get on the floor at all but the spare bed works pretty well unless the object is too large. What street were the elephants on? I’m just curious.

26. The stole is beautiful!! I can’t wait until the pattern is released.

27. fibercrone says:

Why do you think this stole is harder to photograph than the shawlettes? Interesting.

I would like to cast my vote for a book on how to design my own shawlettes. (Sorry, not a stole sort of person.) And, just so you know, every time the word shawlette crosses my mind I hear the Shirelles. I suspect this is a permanent phenomenon.

28. Lovely. I don’t tend to make my stoles that long, but I can see how the length from one skein might not feel like enough. It definitely has the length here to be a luxurious wrap!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..driveway lake =-.

29. Ah, the circus parade! It went past my office one year; my boss was stuck in a meeting, but by prearrangement we called her when the elephants were approaching so she could have an “emergency” and join us outside. That’s a great shot you got!

Your stole is lovely!

30. Do you not worry, leaving Lucy alone with a stole on the carpet? My two furboys would pad it to within an inch of its life, and spend all day sleeping (shedding) on it!

31. LOVE IT!!!!!! I just found use for my skeins of Tosh Tart – can’t wait!!!!!!!!
    .-= Karen´s last blog .. =-.

32. You live outside of DC. The circus is always in town.

Beautiful stole.

33. Beautiful stole!
    .-= SockPixie´s last blog ..Premie Baby Sweater: Remake 1 and 2 =-.

34. I love this shawl! Lucy is soooo good to guard it for you. How fun to have elephants strolling by your window!
    .-= Michele In Maine´s last blog ..Spring Green Dots Project Bag Set =-.

35. I have to put blocking “board” (4 x 4 sheet of foam insulation) on sewing cabinet to block. I just don’t do “on my knees” any more unless it’s Communion Sunday. (Also have dog and cat both trying to assist.) Stole is beautiful
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..Visiting the frogs =-.

36. I hear ya! Although my cat has become an extremely good indicator of whether or not a blocked item is dry. She will curl up on it the instant she deems it dry. Lovely.
    .-= Virginia ´s last blog ..A Brand New Day =-.

37. Wow…so pretty!! Love this shawl.
    .-= Natalie´s last blog ..Episode 44: Walking the Dogs =-.

38. I am glad to see that I am not the only one having difficulty photographing a stole like that. I recently had a photo session with a lace stole, and also found it a challenge. However, I think your pictures are great, and this is a lovely lace.

I feel you on the blocking with chronic back issues. I was doing a bit of pinning out and blocking of a baby sweater last night, and while it was nice to have it done, the doing left something to be desired.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..UM…Happy Birthday, Lizzie! =-.

39. Theresa in Italy says:

I am really gonna want to knit this stole. Really. And then fight off a helpful Newfoundland while I’m blocking it.

40. Lucy seems very determined to make sure she’s a good guard cat! Did she react in any way to the elephants, or did she not see them? My animals are completely oblivious to what happens outside!
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Back to the bigger guys =-.

41. Stacy Jensen says:

It is beautiful. My latest blocking project was while 8 months pregnant with a 2 year old helping. I *think* I understand how you felt, a little.

I am wondering; when using blocking wires, what part of the knitting to you thread them thru?

42. The stole is lovely! I am curious about your blocking board.
    I need one but don’t want to spend a lot of money.

43. This stole really appeals to me – I think it is going on the wishlist! I love everything about it. Thank you for publishing the pattern.

44. Perhaps the elephants were preparing for St. Paddy’s Day?
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..Memememe. =-.

45. WOW! gorgeous. I think that you are very lucky to have a guard who knows her space (place). Sammy guards while resting comfortably on top of the piece, pins and all.
    .-= Judy´s last blog ..they’re coming… =-.

46. Beautiful shawl, and can’t wait to see the new yarn on the needles – it is gorgeous!!!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..Jumping on the Bandwagon… =-.

47. Dr. Jackie says:

Lovely! So when will that shawl book be coming out?????

48. Circus in town? OR the GOP setting up more roadblocks?
    Actually, that’s “six of one, …”

I crack myself up.