1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

Like Buttah

I started knitting with the lovely Serenity 20 yarn that I showed you in yesterday’s blog post. It’s like knitting whipped cream.

Yes, I know I titled this post “Like Buttah” when the experience is really “Like Whipped Cream.” I have mislead you. Deliberately. Why? Just because I am that way. (I’m getting quite snippy about my blog post titles, aren’t I?)

Anyhow, here is the start of a new stole:

stole031710 240x160 Like Buttah

The way this baby is going together is that I will knit it in two pieces (this being the border at one end of the first piece) and then attach those two pieces together at the center.

You know what that means, don’t you?

(Insert ominous music here)

Kitchener stitch.

Though in all likelihood I will do a three-needle bind-off when I get to that point in the shawl. I can picture it now: I’ll finish the second piece, it’ll be late at night, I’ll be tired and impatient (so what else is new?) so I’ll say “screw the kitchener” and do the three-needle bind-off.

But when I write up the pattern I’ll tell you to kitchener it. It doesn’t really seem fair, does it?

Coming Soon to a Venue Near You

A week from Friday is the start of my travel in support of Toe-Up Socks for Every Body, which comes out on Tuesday the 23rd. Not that I’m counting the days or anything.

My first trip is to Loop in Philadelphia. I’ll be there Friday and Saturday, March 26 and 27. Check their website here for details on classes and book-signing.

And the next Friday, April 2, I’ll be in my hometown, Alexandria, VA, at fibre space for a Book Premiere Party and book signing. Check their site here for the details. Note that you can contact them starting today to reserve a book should you wish to do so.

As always, my travel schedule is posted on my Travel and Teaching page which you can always get to via the menu tab at the top of this page. There is not a whole lot there yet, but we’ve got lots of events planned, so keep checking back. final arrangements have not yet been made for most of my travel and I don’t post until that has been done.

Lucy has once again elected to stay home with her Daddy while I am on the road.

Lucy031710 240x160 Like Buttah

She is one smart kitty.

Comments

1. Love that new stole pattern~ reminds me of all those Ripple Afghans my Mother use to crochet. I just may have to try this one, for sentimental reasons. Love the color, too, it’s MOM in every way :) ♥♥♥

2. What a sweet picture of Lucy! The stoll looks like it will be lovely – can’t wait to see what the center patter wll look like.

3. Oh I bet Lucy really wouldn’t mind all the attention she would get while on the road with Mommy!!!!! LOL But Daddy would surely be bereft without that little bunny around. :) (yes, I call my cat a bunny, too….oh well)
    .-= Claudia´s last blog ..Finished =-.

4. A very nice stole. I really hope that if you intend to put that shawl on the cover of your published pattern, it’s done as the directions indicate. I get pretty miffed when I work a pattern and it doesn’t look like the one in the picture because the pattern and the direction don’t line up right.

5. Told ya’ so!!!
    .-= Lynda Hitt´s last blog ..Unconscious Mutterings for February 21 =-.

6. Ooh, maybe I’ll be able to make it up to Alexandria on the 2nd; I think it’s my spring break. Is Knit Happens still open? When I was up there the last time, it was closed (although it was a Monday, it was a holiday and I was surprised they weren’t open. I imagine fibrespace is taking some of their business?)
    .-= Rose´s last blog ..More Tree Photos =-.

7. One knitter’s buttah is another’s butterscotch pudding. Lovely edging.

8. Wendy in Cambridge says:

I so wish you’d make a stop in New England!

Congratulations on your new book. I’ve already preordered my copy.

Lucy knows you will miss her!

9. Linda from Kansas says:

Uh, I don’t suppose you would ever come west to Topeka? You can bring Lucy……
    :-)

10. If you do a three-needle bind-off and then tell the poor hapless pattern-followers to Kitchener, I will call you a cheatah…
    .-= Cathy-Cate´s last blog ..Casting-On Ceremony =-.

11. Val Champ says:

Are you ever coming to Canada? I have preordered a book..waiting impatiently for it to arrive..LOL

12. KathyM in SE VA says:

I am fighting the urge to start a pair of socks because your pre-ordered book arrives next week. (I could do two pairs I suppose, but there’s a couple of WIPs I’m trying to finish.) Really looking forward to the new stuff. Glad to know the kitty will be well taken care of while you’re on the road. Didn’t realize that Lucy is being spoiled by two rather than one. :-)

13. I promise to do the kitchener stitch if you tell me to…but then again, I may be just as impatient and do the three needle BO too…LOL Can’t wait to see the stole get bigger…love it so far!
    .-= Roxanne´s last blog ..In the "D" w/ the Yarn Harlot. =-.

14. Smart Girl!! No loud unpleasant airports for her. No noisy road travel either!! By the way I am so excited for my book to arrive!! I really would like mine signed but not sure I will be in the area you will be. sigh

15. Do you know how to graft on the needles? You knit a stitch, pull the loop out, purl a stitch pull the loop out, and so on. No darning needles. If you’re interested, I can send directions, although if you aren’t tired, I bet you can figure it out on your own.

16. If you come to Richmond again hopefully I can come this time. Was getting married last year, just a bit destracted ;)
    Either that or just come to Lynchburg!
    .-= Jadielady´s last blog ..Happy Anniversary To me! =-.

17. I think Lucy has the right idea. She looks all snug loafed out like that!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..pumpkin to cure my ills (and geekery) =-.

18. A beautiful beginning!

19. That’s going to be beautiful. And I’d do the 3 needle bind off, even if you told me to kitchener! Yes, I know how to graft, but I just don’t enjoy it.
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..Crafty Mom Weekend 7.0 =-.

20. I love to do kitchener! Come to Denver and I promise to do all your kitcheners for you. Pretty please, with cashmere on top?
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..If you don’t know me by now… =-.

21. Butter, whipped cream…it’s all dairy. :) Congrats, again, on the new book. I’m waiting for my copy to be delivered to my fave independent bookstore (though I have a couple of events that will prevent me from reading – and casting on – right away).

22. fibercrone says:

Gorgeous!

23. Kathie Brownlee says:

I love that line “Like Buttah” too…from SNL.

Is Lucy’s fur starting to think about shedding? Kibby’s is…he even had a little mat I had to comb out the other day. He doesn’t mind, loves the combing and the warm weather….

24. Not fair. Now that you’ve outed yourself, you’ll have to include both Kitchener and 3-needle bind-off in the pattern. (Evil laughter in the background.)

I wish you were coming to Ohio (hint, hint), but anyway, I’ll see you in St. Louis, Louis, either in class or out. Cables was my first choice, but we’ll see whether I get it or not.

25. . . . . and I thought I was the only one that loved the three-needle bind-off. Kitchener is just brutal and never turns out right for me with grafting lace.
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..Gearing up for 2010 =-.

26. Just beautiful!

27. Come on, do the kitchener!!! ;-D

28. I’ll be in Alexandria on the 2nd but will be with a bus group so won’t be able to make it over. Drats!!! To be so close and yet so far away. LOL
    Have a good book signing. If you are in Richmond, VA again this summer maybe I can arrange to visit my Sis that weekend and meet you again.
    Have a great day.
    .-= Judy´s last blog ..Socks, socks, and more socks…… =-.

29. I’d imagine cats aren’t the best travel partners :)

Hope you have a nice tour — wish I lived close enough to go!
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Back to the bigger guys =-.

30. jo morgan says:

I love it so far! I am holding my breath until I learn whether you use Kitchener or three ndl bind off. Smiles, jo

31. Susan D Smith says:

Aw, kitchener isn’t so terrible. It’s a good reason to knit with a friend who can talk you through the sequence – though one of my knitting friends (who happens to be 13) has kitchener down so she can do it and not even look while she does it. Ah, youth! Maybe that’s why I need a “kitchener partner” – I’m no longer 13…

32. Awesome, awesome book. I got my reviewers copy today (My earlier review was written based on a partial galley proof) and I have to tell you, this is one of the best sock books in my library, and no one touches it but me.. and maybe my cat.

33. Kitchener offsets the stitches by a half. 3-needle bind-off doesn’t, so it’s a more perfect union. On the other hand, 3-needle-bind-off either interrupts the flow of the fabric or adds needed structure, depending on your attitude. 3-needle bind-off does have the advantage that you don’t have to guess how much yarn you will need before you even start.

34. Just pre-ordered your book, can’t wait to get it! And looking foward to seeing you at Spring Fling!

35. Just called Loop this afternoon and found out there’s space in your AM class on Toes and Heels. Signed myself and my mother up ASAP. Yay!

36. I just got your new book yesterday…and WOW! I love the socks in this one. I don’t even know which one to start on first. You did a FANTASTIC job and I love it. PatM