1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Gothic Spires

Yesterday I finished my stole knit from Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20 yarn:

StoleA033110 240x160 Gothic Spires

I decided to call the design “Gothic Spires” because, well, that’s what it reminds me of.

StoleB033110 240x160 Gothic Spires

I knit this piece in two halves, from the ends in to the middle, and then I joined the two pieces using a three-needle bind-off.

Rather than wet-block it, I did a very gentle steam blocking. The finished dimensions are 64″ long by 20″ wide.

I used a U.S. size 5 needle and  two 400-yard 100-gram skeins of the yarn, with 23 grams left over. I might have been able to get another 16-row repeat for each half out of the remaining yarn, but preferred to play it safe and stop when I did.

When designing a piece, I never want to work it so that there are only a few yards left over because everyone knits a little differently, and different people will have different results. I’d hate to have someone run just a few yards short when knitting one of my designs. So I always over-estimate slightly. So this pattern will state that it requires 800 yards of fingering weight yarn, although I knit it in approximately 750 yards. Because, as always, your mileage may vary. icon wink Gothic Spires

The pattern will be available eventually. A scarf version that will use 400 yards is in the works, and I want to include that in the same pattern.

And I’ve started something new . . .

wip033110 240x160 Gothic Spires

Lucy wonders — what could it be?

Lucy033110 240x160 Gothic Spires

Actually, Lucy probably wonders whether I will give her another treat if she looks pathetic enough.

Comments

1. inlovewithalpaca says:

Beautiful as always!

2. how come my circles look more like giant holes??? you do good work!!!

3. Very lovely! Your stoles are a work of art.
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Does Stash Enhancement Count? =-.

4. That is extremely pretty! I also like your design idea of always overestimating the amount of yarn needed. It is a great rule of thumb.

5. That is a beautiful stole! That’s a pattern I’d want to get once it’s available.

Lucy looks like she’s trying to mesmerize you into giving her treats whenever she wants.

6. patricia says:

Another beautiful stole!

I think Lucy looks peeved b/c she hasn’t been given a treat already!

7. I love it!
    .-= biomaj5´s last blog ..It’s a good thing I’m not a werewolf. =-.

8. If she’s anything like my two pusses, Lucy doesn’t “do” pathetic. She does gorgeous. And, obviously, that works. Smart kitty!

9. Great stole! Will you have your shawls & stoles with you at Fibre Space or just your socks? Just socks is understandable but I was hoping to admire the shawls, too. I plan to be there with nmh first ever sock in progress. I hope you’ll be suitably impressed! (kidding!)

10. crazycrafter says:

That turned out so extremely pretty!
    Hannah

11. The edging on the new one looks like tiny bubbles!

And so thoughtful that you let Gothic Spires recline on the divan for its portrait! :)

12. fibercrone says:

Beautiful! Why did you choose to steam block instead of wet block it?

13. New piece is lovely. Reminds me of tatted edgings my great-grandma used to make.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..Visiting the frogs =-.

14. Yay, three needle bind off! The stole is beautiful.
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..The rest of spring break =-.

15. Bonnie H. says:

Tiny bubbles?

16. fibercrone says:

Hoping your latest tweet is in honor of the day…

17. Yes, like Fibercrone I was wondering why the different type of blocking; is one better than the other?
    And, yes, it is a beautiful shawl.

18. I appreciate the fact that you overestimate yardage.
    .-= Ida´s last blog ..My Dancing Sock and Yarn Update =-.

19. That stole is so elegant!
    .-= Michele In Maine´s last blog ..Spring Green Dots Project Bag Set =-.

20. I was just thinking about this yesterday while knitting on my sweater. I had lengthened the sweater by 1 inch, but I didn’t think twice about having enough yarn until now, when I have a few skeins of yarn left, hoping it’s enough for the shawl collar.

21. mwknitter says:

The stole is very lovely but I am really enamored of that edging!

22. Oh, am I in trouble….I love your socks and now may be on the way to addiction to your shawls..I especially want to try your Sandvik Faroese Shawl. I’ve never knit that style and would really love to give it a go… PCM

23. I am always amazed at the amount of knitting you complete. They always turn out beautiful. Order to Chaos please. ckilgore4

24. Gosh, what a gorgeous stole!!
    I can’t imagine having made such an incredible thing!
    Congratulations. I wonder how long did it take…?
    It would take me *years*! haha
    .-= Donna´s last blog ..Happy April Fool’s Day! =-.

25. Hester Sturrock says:

Gosh, 8 years of blogging. I remember when I first came across your website and that was when I lived in California – and that was more than 8 years ago! So I’ve been looking at your gallery of work, your patterns and books for a very statisfying amount of time. I would like to receive a small shawl pattern, perhaps Miss Woodhouse Shawlette. Best – Hester from Alanta

26. Ironically, I knitted a pair of socks by Cookie A with the same name. I love this stole too!

27. Jenny Tuomi says:

Congratulations for turning 8! I just discovered you through my sister and am glad she did. I would love to try Miss Woodhouse Shawlette. Ravelry user name: imout

Congrats again – thank you for all your knitting! (Love to Lucy too)

28. Genie Charvet says:

I actually like knitting with the big size 15 needles – it does take a little practice to get the knack of it though – but once you master it, you can do projects really fast :) But if you still decide you want to give the ribbon and needles away, I’d love to be entered in the contest. Thanks, Genie

29. I hope your random generator will spin me as the lucky recipient of the yarn and needles.

30. karrol nicoletto says:

who wants to be and old hippy anyway. I like being who I am now all 31 of my cats like me just the way I am and old hiopy at 68.. cheer up Wendy you are still a kid.

31. do you use those knitting stitch reference books to come up with your stitch idesa? Your work is beautiful as always.

32. Nancy McKinley-Ehlinger says:

I have been enjoying all the posts of your projects and the photos of Lucy.
    I am going to start a 4 row lace pattern to see if I can do it…Ribbon of Hope Scarf In Dolce Cascade. i also like to work with larger needles and thicker yarn as the project is done quickly…so if I win the yarn and needles I’ll be happily on my to making a a lovely cable scarf.

Nancy McKinley-Ehlinger
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    madame65@sbcglobal.net

33. Hi Wendy, I would like to be the lucky recipient of the Sari yarn and #15′s.