1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Still With the Stealth Knitting

I am still working on stealth projects only, so I have no CeCe progress to show you. Poor CeCe! I hope she does not get a complex from the lack of attention.

I did get a new toy this past weekend.

I caved and bought an iPad.

ipad050310 240x160 Still With the Stealth Knitting

I had absolutely no desire to own an iPad. Until a couple of weeks ago when I sat next to a very nice woman on a plane (hi Jane!) who had one. Because I never shut up, I of course asked her about it and she let me play with it. And I was hooked.

My iPad arrived on Saturday and I wasted no time in getting it set up. So far, I love it. I downloaded the Kindle app for it so all my Kindle content is available. I downloaded approximately 2,000 photos of Lucy and all my music from iTunes.

ipad050310a 178x240 Still With the Stealth Knitting

In the past when I traveled I brought a laptop and my Kindle with me. Now I can leave the laptop at home and just take the iPad, which in its case weighs just a few ounces more than does my Kindle in its case. Because I have ongoing back issues, the less I carry the better so I am very happy about that.

ipad050310b 160x240 Still With the Stealth Knitting

(Can you tell what book I’m reading?)

I’ve downloaded a few free apps and purchased a few. I bought Scrabble so that the KOARC and I can play over a local network (he has the app on his iPod Touch). And I have spent an embarrassing amount of time fishing for virtual koi in a little koi pond app (iFish Pond) that amuses me perhaps a little too much.

I have added a few knitting apps, but have not tried out any of them yet.

ipad050310apps 240x160 Still With the Stealth Knitting

So there you have it. Excuse #5,742 why I have no knitting to show you.

Now that the warm weather is here to stay, Lucy far prefers napping on a silk-covered pillow than her sheepskin.

Lucy050310 240x160 Still With the Stealth Knitting

Except when she deems the a/c to be a bit too chilly. Then she’s in my lap!

Comments

1. A silk covered pillow, eh? Man, she lives a tough life.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Tornados: Oh my! =-.

2. Mary Pat says:

Wendy – thank you so much for taking the time to keep your BLOG. Love the knitting content but appreciate it that you post other things about your life too. I know it must not be a really top priority right now; so I am just stopping by to say thanks.

3. I hae 2 desktop computers (1 for the longarm quilting machine), 2 laptops, Kindle,and Droid — I just cannot justify getting an iPad……but I sure do want one!!
    .-= Cathie Jones´s last blog ..Tennessee Flooding =-.

4. Shirley. in PA says:

I also bought an iPad, and love it. I can read my Kindle books on it at night because it’s backlit, and read on the Kindle in the sun. Life is good, even thought I don’t have a silk pillow. :)

5. Bonnie H. says:

Is that Diana Gabaldon’s Voyager? If so, it’s an excellent series. Enjoy!

6. you are such an enabler!!!! I want one too, but just can’t justify it now – maybe the 2nd generation I will cave.

7. Kate Lathrop says:

must – resist – pull – of – iPad!

8. Voyager is my favorite installment in the Outlander series!! :)

I must recommend Plants vs Zombies for the iPad. It looked great on the demo iPad at the Apple Store!
    .-= Annette´s last blog ..Crackilicious…. =-.

9. So far, I’ve avoided the pull of the iPad, thinking I’m holding out for the 2nd generation. I did get a netbook, but it sure reminds me how much I dislike Windows–though I like the netbook.
    .-= Ida´s last blog ..Another Goal Reached =-.

10. Hubby bought me a new MacBook laptop the day that the iPads came out so there was quite a line at Best Buy of people drooling over them. Please keep posting what you’re doing with it and how you like it so we can envy you and maybe put it on our wish list!
    .-= jayayceeblog´s last blog ..Stranger Danger =-.

11. It’s one of Diana Gabaldon’s books. One I haven’t gotten to just yet, I’m only on the second one.
    I may have to give the iPad a try.

12. A silk pillow! Mercy! Well a princess deserves it.

13. Ooh, you’re reading Voyager. I haven’t gotten to that one yet.

14. iBook on iPad or Kindle on iPad? Do you like the Kindle format better or is it that all your books are already on Kindle?
    Plants vs. Zombies HD on iPad rocks.

15. Robin Diebold says:

I am so far resisting the IPad. I want one!! I think you are reading a Diana Gabaldon book. I think it is voyager. I love her books.

16. Celestine Getty says:

I have been looking at the Ipads, but I will have to wait awhile. Do tell us which knitting apps you like. Sorry you are feeling behind on working on the CeCe, but I enjoy hearing about your thought on your new toys ER I mean Tools! ;)0

17. patricia says:

I thought it was one of the Outlander series. I’ve just started ‘reading’ it via books on CD.

2000- That’s a lot of Lucy pics!

18. Robin F says:

Well, congrats on the new technology. I’ve been resistant to it but after seeing one at Spring Fling it is now on my wish list – Enjoy

19. Looks like you are reading Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. Love the series, can’t wait until the finally book but at the same time I’ll be sad when the series is over.

20. Maybe I haven’t been following the blog long enough, but I can’t figure out what “KOARC” means. I think it’s a person – and does the “K” stand for “Knitting”? I love your blog but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

21. You should get a cover for you iPad. Like… this one!
    .-= Lisa R´s last blog ..One Track Mind =-.

22. Maureen says:

I tried out the Nook at Barnes & Noble and if I were a commuter, I certainly would want one, but just can’t justify it for me now. Still….
    One thing good about the Nook is that you can purchase ebooks from anywhere and aren’t tied into Amazon.

23. Margaret Lifgren says:

I would also like to know if you like any of the knitting aps.

24. When my laptop dies, I plan on getting a desktop and a iPad (probably not the 3G) because, together, they are only barely more expensive than a MacBook, and an iPad is good enough for what I need when I travel.

But my laptop is only 2.5 years old…..

25. Been reading about Kindle vs iPad since I own neither and will buy one but not both. I recognize that iPad does so much more for the money but I already have an antiquated Mac laptop and a iMac. What I want is an ereader primarily. Is the Kindle easier on your eyes? Which would you choose if you could only have one? TKS

26. If you start doing any word processing on the iPad, keep us updated? I have an iPad and use OpenOffice on my PC (no Microsoft Office, no Pages). I’ve been resisting buying Pages for the iPad because I’m not sure what kind of compatibility it will have. I was thinking the iPad would be a great place to jot down pattern descriptions while sitting on the couch knitting the prototype. =)

FYI folks, the VogueKnitting app is the former KnitBuddy (@knitbuddy on twitter). It’s a great tool to have until the Ravelry app comes out… I do a lot of noting things like number of gusset pickups, dye lot of yarn, etc so when I’m out with my knitting or at the LYS I have everything I need.

27. Carrie says:

Another Gabaldon fan! My great aunt introduced me to that series (read: bought me all the books for Christmas one year) and I love them – but they’d be even better when you don’t have to weight lift!

Incidentally, that one is my favorite of all the series. :D

28. Melanie says:

I am interested in an ipad. Wondering can you tell me size you bought. Is it the first edition or the 3G? I am asking since you have a lot loaded on there. Not sure what size to buy. Thanks for your help.

Melanie

29. Congrats on the iPad! I’m still hooked on my Kindle, though… :) And hooray for the Outlander series! I’m addicted to those books- I’ve read them through about 4 times each now. :)
    .-= Dana´s last blog ..Stitches and a lack of willpower =-.

30. That looks perfect for travel. And all the app buttons make Lucy look a little dizzy!
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..Incense =-.

31. I really want an ereader, but anything I buy has to be much more affordable than the iPad. I’ve already acquired too many expensive Mac products as it is. Though I have to admit that it is really pretty.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..月曜ばか =-.

32. I am eventually getting an ipad, but I do have an iphone. Check out the ap iquarium. You get your own fish and accumulate points to add to the aquarium. It’s very addicting. You must feed your fish and give it attention. Enjoy.

Karin

P.S. I just recently started a toe up sock. After screaming that I never would knit a toe up sock, I am addicted.
    .-= Karin´s last blog ..I’m Knitting a Toe Up Sock! =-.

33. thanks for the shot of the knitting apps. the ipad is my first apple product, and I don’t have the knack yet of how to find apps that interest me.

34. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon? I’ve only read Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber…
    .-= Aimee´s last blog ..Sock slump =-.

35. Excellent book choice – I love Diana Gabaldon! Of course, Lucy is lovely, too. :)
    .-= Connie B. in Ohio´s last blog ..Things you don’t see every day =-.

36. Sharon says:

I had a little money left over from the Spring Fling….it went into a jar for my “IPAD” fund!! I deserve it!

37. Amazed that you get anything done at all with the new gadget in hand! Keep us posted on how you like it! Will we ever see any of the “stealth” projects?

38. Belinda Giliberti says:

I love your iPad! :-)

39. Stitchminder is good and I love Koi Pond! We have an iPad at work as we consider magazine applications and all the staff has had a chance to play with it. It’s a cool thing.
    .-= MicheleinMaine´s last blog ..Pink Floral Vines Mia Bag =-.

40. Oh, you would have to wave your iPad around and make us all want one, you evil temptress! LOL I don’t know which temptation in your blog lures me more- the knitting or the geek toys. It’s really a tossup.

FYI to JUDY- KOARC is her guy. His blog is (used to be?) “King of all Remote Controls”, which reminds me to finally ask Wendy or other KOARC followers: Is he still doing that blog? My bookmark to it has been broke for ages and I keep forgetting to ask about it.

41. Dr. Jackie says:

Been trying to decide…I think I’m gonna wait till iPad 2.0, when the bugs are out of the first one.

Have you tried to see whether Lucy might like fishing in the koi pond?

42. My friend came up this weekend with her Kindle. She’s had it since Christmas is still raves about it, showing everyone what it does. She almost had me going to Barnes and Noble to get the Nook. Now I’m thinking I should take a closer look at the IPAD!

I’ve only recently found your blog and look forward to it at lunch hour. Lucy sure does love that chair. Do you have it in the sun?

43. Marsha says:

Wendy, glad you got the iPad. We ordered the 3G then we couldn’t wait and we drove 129 miles to the closest source for the iPad and bought a wireless one only 6 days after it came out April 3-so now we have 2 and DH and I don’t have to fight over who gets to use it.

Downloaded all our Kindle books, too, and it is great to read at night with the light off so DH can sleep. Now we also don’t have to fight over the Kindle, either.

Plants vs zombies is great!

Actually, I’m reading your blog, the comments, and writing my comment on the iPad.

WOOT!

44. Linda from Kansas says:

I have a Nook from Barnes & noble. I would like to get a kindle also since it “reads” to you out loud (then I could knit while I listen….) The ipad looks pretty tempting but I probably won’t get one.

I may have to try the Voyager series.

45. Susan (LotusHips) says:

Oooooo, I love Diana’s books! I’m ashamed to say how many times I’ve read them through :)

I have a kindle, which I love so I’ll wait on the iPad. I wonder how long I’ll be able to hold out?

46. Helen Johnson says:

Wow, I thought my herd of cats was spoiled (especially when I got a small dog bed for them on sale at Target), but nobody has a silk pillow. :)

On the recommendation of one of my knitting pals, I’ve been using StitchMinder on my Touch, and it works pretty well. I may have to try a couple of the other apps you have on your iPad tho, just because…

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Vicki Stiefel, Vicki Stiefel and WendyKnits, Sarah Saldana. Sarah Saldana said: RT @knittingnews I am totally jealous of Wendy Knits. She got an iPad and shows it to us, along with her gorgeous kitty http://bit.ly/aNSWLW [...]