Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

More on the iPad

A bunch of you asked questions about the iPad so I’ll attempt to answer them all here.

I got the 16Gb wireless only version — no 3G. Why? 16Gb will be plenty big enough for my usage — reading e-books, and checking email and social networks and web surfing while I’m away from one of my computers. I loaded my entire iTunes music library (which admittedly is not huge) on it, as well as 2000 photos of Lucy and barely scratched the surface of available space.

Why just wifi and not 3G? I have a 3G smartphone, and really don’t need another 3G device. I am looking at the iPad as a laptop replacement while I travel, and most everywhere I go, there is wifi available somewhere along the way. For the few places where there isn’t, I have my lovely little Droid phone for checking email and getting online if necessary. And my iPad is still useful offline, with the games and books I have loaded on it.

Several of you asked about having an iPad vs a Kindle. It’s not a fair comparison — the Kindle is an ebook reader and the iPad is a tablet pc, which has ebook reader capabilities. There’s a heckuva lot more you can do with your iPad that with your Kindle. (I have no experience with any ebook readers apart from the Kindle, so I can’t comment on those).

And I like the Kindle app on the iPad. Very much. The viewing area is larger for starters than my non-DX Kindle. I find the page turning easier — you just swipe a finger across the bottom of the page as opposed to pressing buttons. You can, of course, change the text size, and there are a few color options. I find the sepia page w/ black text option easiest on my eyes for indoor reading. You can also change the screen brightness via a slider control.

(By the way, many of you correctly identified the book I’m reading as Voyager, from the Outlander books. What a fun series that is to read!)

I haven’t tried the iBook reader app yet. At the moment, all my ebooks are Kindle format, because that’s what I had been using.

A couple of you recommended the game “Plants versus Zombies” so I’ll need to check that out. I am not much of a “games” person. There are a couple on the Wii that stress me out so badly I just can’t play them, so I’ll need to take a good look at this to see how stress-inducing it appears to be. The iFish Pond is much more my speed. I can just swish around in the water, make it rain, and feed the fish if I want, or I can try to catch them. Anything that has monsters advancing that need to be slain just raises my blood pressure. 😉

That’s why Scrabble is a good game for me as well. I can play it by myself or with other players.

As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve not even looked at the knitting apps yet so can’t comment on them.

So there’s my initial take on the iPad. I’ve had it for a few days and so far absolutely no regrets!

In knitting news, I’ve finished one of my stealth projects. You know, knitting I can’t show you. 😉

But this means that I can move CeCe back into the knitting rotation along with my other stealth project.

CeCe050410 240x160 More on the iPad

Lucy seems pleased.

Lucy050410 240x160 More on the iPad

Comments

1. Kate Lathrop says:

I have all 7 of the Outlander series on my Nook – makes for a fun read!

And your first book was the first book I purchases and downloaded onto my Nook! Too bad there’s not an option for an electronic autograph 🙂

2. I am really looking forward to getting an iPad. Maybe for Christmas. Thanks for the review!
    .-= biomaj5´s last blog ..Knitcroblog day 6: =-.

3. aprilquilts says:

Love your blog, coveting your ipad. How does Ravelry and Flickr work on it? Can you read download pdfs?

4. Penny T says:

Here’s another question: When you’re reading a book, how do you hold either the Kindle or the iPad so that your hands don’t hurt or get tired (specifically, the thumb joint)?

And just out of curiosity, do you still read “real” books?

5. Plants vs Zombies is actually scaled pretty well. There’s no “dying” so you never worry about that. It’s fun and light hearted, and a nice one to play a level here and there and come back to it another time. I wanted the iPad when I first heard about it and instead opted to get the nook instead. I didn’t want to wait, and I was terrified that the iPad wouldn’t do what I wanted it to.

I’m so glad to hear you enjoying your new device. 😀 I’m pretty jealous.
    .-= Deinera´s last blog ..No ‘Poo continued =-.

6. Kris b says:

I just got my iPad on Friday and love it too! Scrabble is wonderful. Try Moonlight Mahjong; for $.99 it’s a fun game and is VERY well done. Thanks for mentioning the ability to change background in the kindle app; I was noticing some eye fatigue with the all white background.

7. I recommend Elephant Odyssey iPhone/iPad app. It’s relaxing like Koi Pond but a little more interactive, not competitive. Look forward to seeing you in Minneapolis again, Wendy!

8. I just got M an ipad 3G for his birthday last week. It’s 3G is because he travels enough in places where wifi connections may not be available and I want him to be able to watch movies and decide what to read based on his mood — when he’s not working. We’ve downloaded this cool app that maps stars for you depending on where you point the pad and reorients immediately when you turn. Totally fun!

Next up is Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything” app!
    .-= anmiryam´s last blog ..Do You Recognize This Woman? =-.

9. I’d love an iPad…I expect to replace my laptop with a desktop and an iPad sometime in the next two years, probably wifi, not 3G, for the same reasons, except I have an iPhone, not a droid.

But, does an iPad have keynote, yet? And can it hook up to a projector? I would want it to do that, to avoid having a laptop.

And I want it to read aloud, nasty, mechanical, computerized voice is sufficient (as the kindle has and as iWorks can do).

My timeframe probably means I’ll get a 2nd gen iPad…but I hope they have these things!

10. While I was an early Mac user later converted to PC, and ATT is worthless to me as a phone carrier (dead at daughter’s school) I’m still rather tempted by the iPad. I’ll be looking forward to longer-term updates as it integrates into your routines. I’d probably opt for the wifi version as well.

If there isn’t a wifi hotspot app for the Droid yet, there will be soon, I’m sure. Especially since Verizon is touting it for the Pre. That would mean you could connect through your Droid from your iPad to the internet in those instances where you’re desperate and there is no wifi. But it probably will be pretty fierce on the phone battery.

But I can tell you it works, and there is no issue if you can plug in your phone. This is speaking from experience in St. Louis, where I did this with my HTC Touch Pro 2 and netbook in the hotel where they were charging $10/day for internet. (In contrast to the free wifi in the conference center, which I also used.)

11. Sherry says:

Am now reading your blog from my iPad, since my desktop just went belly-up. So far, photo loading and manipulation is the only thing I miss by not having a real computer, and since you usually take a break from blogging when you travel, the iPad should work great for you as a replacement laptop.

12. Jenn C. says:

I just had to say that I’m reading the Outlander series for the first time right now too (a little ahead of you, in Drums of Autumn) and loving it!

iPad question for the kindle app – does it also do the weird screen redraw thing that the Kindle and the Nook do? For some reason I found that to be so distracting I didn’t think I could make the Kindle plunge.

13. Melanie says:

Wendy, Thank you so much for explaining uses and size of your ipad. It sounds like I would like one. Lucy looks beautiful today. Thanks again.

14. Glenda Watts says:

Wendy, PDAnet (app) for Droid will allow you to tether your Droid for internet connection, via 3G, when no wifi is available. Bluetooth…no cords!

15. I finished the Outlander series a few months ago, on Audiobook. It was an excellent series, well produced. Such fun to hear the Scottish brogue.

When you’re done with the series, I have a lingering question that was never resolved for me (that I can remember anyway). I can’t ask now… have to wait until you’ve read them all!
    .-= LoriO´s last blog ..Fantasy Vacation – Day 3 =-.

16. I really want an iPad – I sat next to a guy with one at a meeting last week, and was a little afraid I might try to snatch it away from him! Everyone I know with one really likes it.

Also – my brother loves Plants vs Zombies on his iPhone. I’m not much of games person either, but he says it’s totally addictive.
    .-= janna´s last blog ..FO! =-.

17. Stacy and the rugrats says:

I LOVE the Outlander Series (granted, I wanted to throw the last book on the floor after finishing it, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t the best books ever…well, maybe after LOTR and Hitchhiker’s Guide..but those are different types of books).
    Your post is making me want an iPad. However, I am typing on an iBook and I have an iPhone, so I should be good for now.

18. Thanks for the info about the iPad. Though I recently bought a netbook, I still crave the iPad. I was particularly interested in which one you got. I’m thinking the 16g would be enough for me.
    Thanks again.
    .-= Ida´s last blog ..Sometimes Knitting Alone Isn’t Enough =-.

19. Thanks Wendy!

That was all very helpful. I have the original version of the Kindle and haven’t been interested in upgrading to the new version. Now I am wondering if I should “upgrade” to the iPad and get more than just a Kindle.

Also, I appreciate the info on the 16gb. I was wondering how much power I would need. I listen to a lot of audio books and they take up a surprisingly large amount of space. Any thoughts?
    .-= Kelley Petkun´s last blog ..Doesn’t look much like a sock, does it? =-.

20. I just finished reading Drums in Autumn (book 4 of Outlander)! I’m completely in love with Claire and Jamie. Voyager is still my favorite so far, but I plan to keep reading them. Always fun to hear about another Sassenach….

21. Oh gosh….Gabaldon…you’ve fallen down the rabbit hole now!! If you get the chance, listen to one of the unabridged audio books. Davina Porter makes the characters come to life!! I’m in the audio midst of Echo……wonderful.
    .-= Cindy in Happy Valley´s last blog ..That was then…this is now… =-.

22. I’m also in the middle of Echo (reading, not listening). It’s such a great series! I think Voyager was one of my favorites, though.

Thanks for all the iPad info!
    .-= MicheleinMaine´s last blog ..Orange Picnic Mini Bag =-.

23. I’m hoping to get an ereader soon, and have been searching for ePub / PDF versions of my favorite knitting books. It would be just so convenient to have the pattern I’m currently working on with me without carrying the book around.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..月曜ばか =-.

24. SarahO says:

I love my ipad too. My favorite game right now is Bananagrams. If you like scrabble you will love this.

25. I like to call the iPad a big iTouch. I have a touch so I won’t be updating to an iPad anytime soon.

26. I ordered my ipad and it will be here next week. I can’t wait! Glad to know you are happy with yours. I am looking forwad to watching my Netflix movies outside!

27. MamaLana says:

Jamie, Claire, and the whole Outlander series–wonderful!!!

28. Bonnie H. says:

If no wifi is available, I guess you could use the tethering app for the Droid to connect to the internet on your iPad – just like you would for any laptop. I don’t have an iPad but my husband and I both have Droids and love them.