1. pour moi, designed by Lori Versaci, knit from Wollmeise Merino DK in the "Stella Polaris" colorway on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.
2. Outlander MKAL Shawl, designed by Rachel Rodin, knit from Lornas Laces Shepherd Sport in the "Beauchamps" and "Fraser" colorways on a 3.75 mm (U.S. size 5) needle.

Sublime

When I was in North Carolina last weekend, I came across a yarn and pattern line that was new to me: Sublime.

Sublime is,  according to their page on the Knitting Fever website linked above, “a new luxury fiber line created by Sirdar.”

The LYS I was visiting, Charlotte Yarn, had several of their pattern books for sale, as well as a number of the yarns. This one caught my eye first:

SoyaCotton051210 Sublime

That’s the Soya Cotton book #632, and I love the sweater on the cover. There are some other cute designs in the book as well — you can see them here.

Here’s the other book I bought:

bamboo051210 Sublime

That’s the Bamboo & Pearls Book #633 and you can see the designs inside here.

Both books have some really cute designs in them. I do have a couple of beefs with the books. One, there are no charts — written out instructions only. Two, the book is printed in what looks like 6-point type in grey print on white. I can barely see it. Jeez people, have a heart.

Fortunately the patterns aren’t too complex, so I won’t need to stare at tiny grey type too much to knit them.

I did buy yarn for the cover sweater on on the Soya Cotton book — but not the Sublime Soya Cotton.

I bought some Knit One Crochet Two TyDye yarn — this:

TyDy051210 240x160 Sublime

It’s color #518 — “Meadow.” It’s a variegated yarn, but it looks pretty subtle. Since the pattern I’ll be knitting is a fairly plain all-over lace pattern, I don’t think the yarn colorway will overpower it. We’ll see.

I’ll be starting this, I think, after I complete CeCe.

CeCe is at the point where I’ll join the sleeves to the body and start knitting up, doing the raglan and front decreases. Wheeeeeee!

Lucy Sez:

Lucy051210 240x149 Sublime

“Momma gets excited over the weirdest things.”

Comments

1. Joining the sleeves and starting the yoke is like finishing a heel flap and starting a cuff. It’s all down hill from there. Also that’s the point where I know I’ll finish–aka the point of no return.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..Visiting the frogs =-.

2. Lynda Hitt says:

Yay for CeCe…she won’t feel neglected any longer

3. One of my LYS’s carried Sublime, but that shop has closed. :-( My experience with it was with making baby things–their baby patterns are classic & adorable. Tedious construction for a knitter who doesn’t like doing things like sewing the button band to the front instead of knitting it as you go, etc., but really adorable things.

4. An LYS here carries Sublime, and it is indeed sublime!
    .-= Caffeine Girl´s last blog ..I’m Still Here =-.

5. I love their yarns too. An option (and only for personal use and because you own the books – re: copyright police leave me alone) – you can scan your personal copy and put it on your ipad, then you can zoom in on the instructions or change the contrast, etc as needed. Will also make traveling with it easier.

I recently knit a baby surprise jacket out of the Ty-Dye and the baby and mommy LOVE IT! It is incredibly soft and lovely!

It was AWESOME to have you in town! I miss you already – especially your enabling! And Rozz and Eva miss you too!
    .-= Aimee´s last blog ..Mean Girls Rule =-.

6. Stephanie says:

I love the patterns in the Bamboo and Pearl book!! Thanks for sharing your discovery.

7. Beth in Seattle says:

I just finished a pair of socks in that exact same colorway of Ty Dy. I liked the yarn and the socks were lovely, a gift. The cable & lace pattern that I used showed well in this color.

8. The pattern you are making is really adorable – should be gorgeous in the Ty-Dy yarn!
    .-= jayayceeblog´s last blog ..Post-It Note Tuesday – 05/11/10 =-.

9. Maureen says:

Sirdar does some nice designs, but I have to agree with Judy about the tedious construction and with you about the tiny grey type, although copying the pattern and enlarging it or at least heightening the contrast helps. There are several attractive designs in both books, but, as someone who has upper arm issues, I can’t see an easy way to lengthen those butterfly-type sleeves in an attractive way.

10. I’m wondering if the grey-on-white is an attempt to thwart copying. Never mind that it also interferes with actually using the pattern.

11. Kathie Brownlee says:

I love Sublime! I hadn’t seen the two books you bought but I love both of them!
    Thanks for the links, Kathie

Kibby says, “Lucy, my Momma bought me a kittymint plant today. I have been rubbing and rubbing and rubbing on it, it makes me do crazy things!”

12. I definitely like the patterns in the bamboo pearls book better, but that might be because it has more cardigans… I’m definitely partial to those!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..for the birds =-.

13. Those patterns are sooooo cute …. and I’d soooooo look like a sack full of doorknobs in them! LOL
    .-= Cathie Jones´s last blog ..Return to Nashville =-.

14. Ah, Ty-Dy! So far, I’ve done a cute sleeveless shirt, a matching purse, and a completely different colorway shawl from it. Of the cotton yarn out there, it must be my favorite, because I keep making things with it!
    .-= CraftyGryphon´s last blog ..It’s another bunny – and it’s HAPPY! =-.

15. madonnaearth says:

While I love the look that the Sublime patterns have, that small print thing would tick me right off. I think your CeCe will be done pretty quickly.

16. I am currently using the Sublime ‘cashmerino silk dk’ and it is very nice to work with, and I would buy this line again.

17. cecilia says:

Sublime is great yarn! have used it for several projects and never disappointed. Thinking of making the Cece in sublime. have a good weekend, Lucy.cd

18. I usually scan patterns and enlarge type and change contrast before I begin a project. That way I can make any notes I want and still keep my knitting books pristine. In a large enough font I can read and follow any printed instructions. I hate charts with a passion and avoid patterns that don’t provide text as well as charts.

19. Loved meeting you!!!! I’m still aghast that you can knit and read. . . and we’re talking LACY STUFF! CeCe is lovely, by the way!

20. I really like those books! can’t wait to see how your lace sweater turns out :)

21. I like green too- especially the light, springy ones.
    Thanks for opining on circular vs back and forth knitting- I haven’t knit enough garments to know about bias.