1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Greetings From the Sweater Front

I am knitting away on the front of d’Azur. At this point I am about halfway to the armhole shaping.

wip052610 240x160 Greetings From the Sweater Front

Something that occurred to me as I was knitting merrily along. For the front of the sweater the neck is lower, so you at some point put the center stitches on a holder and work each side of the neck separately.

Since the yarn I am using is striping, I need to figure out how to make it sort of match. I don’t care if it matches exactly, but it would be nice to be close, you know?

Fortunately I have plenty of yarn, so I ought to be able to make some sort of matching take place. Exciting to contemplate, isn’t it?

Lucy Sez

Lucy052610 240x135 Greetings From the Sweater Front

“I heart the a/c!”

Comments

1. It’s looking great!
    .-= LaLa´s last blog ..Episode 11 – The One at Chez LaLa =-.

2. If you have to pick up along the neck line, maybe a steek can be used.

Yes I’m insane, but if the yarn doesn’t strip in a regular pattern and your OCD (like me), a steek might be less scary.

3. I can’t wait to see how it looks when you are done. I love how the yarn is striping!
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..WIP Wednesday =-.

4. Good thing Lucy’s in the A/C everyone can be cool and calm while the idea of steeking cotton is bandied about. Although…mass production does it regularly, so it could be done.
    .-= Elysbeth´s last blog ..Christening =-.

5. Iheartbobross says:

preeeeeetty!

6. Barb Harger says:

Pretty…I know you can figure it out!

7. if you have an additional skein that should be able to be done fairly easy, lol, at least you thought of it before!

8. I think Lucy would like my cat Catcher. He is my sweet Catcher Boy. Can’t wait to see your project finished.

9. Dorothy says:

I just love that yarn!! It looks so cool and refreshing……………..and I think we might need cool and refreshing this year!! It is so humid here in KY. I feel like I slept through June and awoke in July!! I am with Lucy………….bring on the a/c!!!

10. A steek would be perfect for this situation, Wendy. I think Meg Swansen calls it a kangaroo pouch. The knitting is lovely!

11. That IS exciting! The yarn is really quite pretty.

12. It is turning out beautifully.
    .-= lee´s last blog ..Pictures! =-.

13. You could, right now before it’s imperative, take a skein and unwind the whole thing, looking for repeating stripe patterning. find a place somewhere near the center where the repeat seems to begin again, and cut there. Wind up both halves in the same direction so they will knit the same way. When it’s time to divide for the neckline, snip the rest of the body yyarn and begin using the prepared twins, one on each side. Save the remainder of the body yarn for things like collars and cuffs or sewing up.

14. Lynda Hitt says:

I’m loving your sweater.

15. Sally Eller says:

Oh… the blues in this skein are calling to ME! Love your blog, and Lucy, but I’m really more of a dog person.

Sally – CayugaKnitting

16. Kathy Rodgers says:

Loving those blues…and your blog too!

17. Wendy- I think this calls for an Executive Decision- one of many you must make in the course of a day.

Thank you for your kind words about Casey.
    .-= Lorraine´s last blog ..The Dog That Smiled =-.

18. I would just match the second ball to where you left off in the stripe sequence. I do this when I start second socks all the time, and while I am rarely 100% spot on I manage to get fairly close.

This is definitely a spot where close will be good enough (umm, unless you are like one of the OCD people).
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..matcha matcha man! =-.

19. Looks good! I’ll be starting on my first (solid color–I am not that brave yet) sweater this summer, and seeing all of your photos is quite motivating.
    .-= The Unraveled Librarian´s last blog ..Crochet FAIL, Baby robin love. =-.

20. I love the title of the post. And I’m with Lucy about the a/c!

21. Melissa G says:

Sweater Front, Minni-Toe-Ta? (ha)
    Steeking cotton? (ooo)

22. Wow, look at all the steek suggestions! Not to rain on parades, but steeking wouldn’t entirely fix the problem, because if you’re knitting and decreasing up the fronts, even steeking wouldn’t resolve a smaller number of stitches – it’ll lend itself to a new striping sequence, unless you match the yarn, cut the excess, re-match the yarn, cut the excess, etc etc. It can be done; I’ve seen its effects (in real life) on a Noro sweater that turned out just gorgeous, but it does take planning, knitting, (maybe) swearing, tinking, cutting excess (gasp!) and patience. I have no doubt that Wendy would be skilled for the challenge, but only if she feels like it. :) Please let us know how you resolve this quandary, Miss Wendy!

23. Janet Patterson says:

New yarns are beautiful. Can’t wait to hear what you deside to make. I find that the hand dyed yarns are an on-going gift as they reveal their patterns on a project.

24. ah, the magic of steeks

25. Sweater Front – [chuckle]

I’d like that lovely blue yarn – pick me – OK!!

26. Are you going to try and match the width of stripes in the other sections, or just let it be wider/deeper stripes? (Me, I’m free and easy, and I would call whatever happened a design feature :-} )
    .-= Diana Troldahl´s last blog ..Withig Scarf Pattern Available! =-.

27. Shhh, Lucy, you’re supposed to let your Momma think that it’s her blog…
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Freight Trains =-.

28. Love that d’Azur!
    However, I am totally WHY one would steek. Both side of the front look the same to me…..
    ConfusedInMaryland

29. I love your blog, I’m in England and I’ve just got started with my own website http://www.workingwithwool.co.uk I’d love to know what you think of it. Goldie