1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Blue

Look! I have reached some blue in my Kauni!

wip060210 240x160 Blue

That’s the fun of this yarn and what makes me keep knitting — looking forward to the next color change.

And because it has color changes, I am keeping the lace pattern for this pretty simple.

And because the lace pattern is pretty simple, I’ll be offering this shawl pattern as a freebie when I’ve finished it.

The Unraveled Librarian commented on yesterday’s post:

Somehow, it’s always so reassuring to see such an experienced knitter using counters and stitch markers.

Yep, I’m using stitch markers and a row counter. While I don’t really need them, I find it so much easier to have them, particularly since I am dragging this shawl along as my commuter knitting. I’m working from a chart and have the current row marked on the chart using magnetic strips on a board. But it is possible to move the strip when shoving said pattern into the knitting bag, so it’s nice to have the row counter as a back-up, so I can easily find my place.

It’s all about the easy, ya know?

I got something really pretty in the mail last week:

yarn060210 240x160 Blue

This is laceweight yarn from Catskill Merino Sheep Farm. It is 4 skeins of their Undyed Saxon Merino — 2-ply, 2 ounces and 260 yards each. It is almost a fingering weight (which lately is my favorite kind of laceweight to use) and is just lovely. I discovered this yarn through Knitters’ Review — the sportweight was profiled a couple of weeks ago here.

This card was in my box of yarn:

cardo60210 180x240 Blue

Lucy sez:

Lucy060210 240x160 Blue

“Yes, I am spoiled. So what?”

Comments

1. I got a skein of that also, and thought the note was very cute. What’s you making with yours?
    Sheri

2. Barb Harger says:

I do that, too, looking forward to the next color change! Going to check out the Catskills yarn….I used to live in Mass. when I was a kid and went to the Catskills on field trips.

3. Thanks for the link! It looks like a great blog and some of the sportweight is threatening to jump in my cart!
    .-= MicheleinMaine´s last blog ..Counting Sheep Project Bag =-.

4. OOoh right now the colors remind me of Lucy…K
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Yarn Buying =-.

5. Does Lucy send you “thank you” cards?
    .-= Elysbeth´s last blog ...25mm makes the pool deep =-.

6. I’m having as much fun just watching your colors changes too :}

7. Maureen says:

I just bought some lovely red worsted to make a scarf for the Red Scarf Project from Juniper Moon Farm, and the outside of the package was stamped “Farm Fresh Yarn”. Thankfully, there seem to be no dishonest knitters in the US Postal Service.

Lucky thing I don’t work there, because, in the middle of a dreary work day, to be faced with a squishy package that advertised farm fresh yarn? Well, through rain, snow, and so on, I would get the mail through. Not so sure about through yarn.

8. The colours are looking great.

9. LaVelle Nott says:

I like that yarn I had never heard of it before. Is it rolled up in such a way that you cant see all the colors or you just don’t know what is next? I can’t wait to see the pattern and see how big the shawl is going to be, it looks like something I would like to make.

10. Are you using that fast-increase method that makes a curved shawl. or is this one a plain straight triangle? It seems to me that shallower, crescent-shaped shawls are all the crack just now (to quote Georgette Heyer.)
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..What a DAY! =-.

11. Love seeing the changes in the yarn! Must procure some…
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Middle Tennessee Fiber Festival =-.

12. The shawl looks gorgeous so far! I love the color changes.
    .-= biomaj5´s last blog ..Call me crazy if you must =-.

13. Susan D. Smith says:

Can’t wait for the “freebie” pattern. I am struggling with an Evelyn Clark Swallowtail Shawl pattern (must be me – everyone else who’s ever made this thinks the pattern is straightforward and clear, while I have had to rip the whole thing out 3 times because neither the written instructions make no sense and the charts are only marginally better) and it is getting my goat (er, sheep!). Your pattern looks like something I can manage and I have the perfect yarn for it – Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20 in a sunny ochre colorway. I read the Clara Parkes review on Catskill Merino and it looks like they have wonderful yarn. Hope to visit them at the Farmer’s Market in NYC next time I am there.

14. Loving that yarn! Also love my little brass ring stitch markers. I’ll use any excuse to use them!
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..…And then there were two… =-.

15. Beverly Shaw says:

I use a chart and a counter, too. I use the Knitting Stash app on my Droid. It has multiple counters so I can keep track of several projects. it also has inventories for needles, hooks and projects.

16. I love the little note card. I would be tempted to make a little cartoon with poorly drawn sheep on it.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..swing your razor high! =-.

17. I’m glad to know that Lucy is able to admit that she’s spoiled. Love the colors in the shawl, and yes I will have to download it when you post it.
    .-= Lynda´s last blog ..The view through the windshield =-.

18. That farm is ten minutes from where I grew up, but you can’t buy the yarn locally! Bummer…
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog .. =-.

19. I really like your kauni… what “color” name/number is it? I’ve been plotting to make a kauni sweater similar to yours and like this blue/brown combo. Of course my LYS doesn’t carry this yarn, so I’ll have to order from Webs when I finally make my plans.

20. Thanks for responding to my comment! It *definitely* is all about the easy.

The merino looks great, and the note from the sheep was a nice touch. ;)
    .-= The Unraveled Librarian´s last blog ..Blackberry Peach Pie =-.

21. KnitMom says:

Your shawl is so beautiful. I love the colors. Can’t wait for the free pattern. I am on a lace kick at the moment.

22. Louise in Oregon says:

Hi Wendy,
    Just absolutly fell in love with the Minnie-Toe-Ta yarn you showed. Rushed to the internet site & lo & behold, they still had some. Ordered 2 skeins & can’t wait to get it. Yum!