Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Knotty Problem Resolved

As I suspected, there was a knot in my skein of Kauni, hence the anomaly in the striping sequence.

The knot was in the tan section that I commenced knitting after my blog post yesterday. While the knot tied the tan section to a matching tan section, it did so from the wrong side, so that if I were to continue knitting along, the striping sequence would reverse.

So I untied the knot and wound the remainder of the skein into a ball.

As luck would have it, the ball ended in a tan section as well — this end going in the proper direction. So I attached the yarn from the other end and continued on my merry way.

And I finished the shawl.

wip060710 240x160 Knotty Problem Resolved

Unblocked, it measures 52 inches across the top (the wingspan) and 26 inches down the center back.

I had 20 grams of my 160-gram skein left over.

Blocking will commence almost immediately.

Well . . . Lucy may have other ideas . . .

lucy060710 240x160 Knotty Problem Resolved

Comments

1. I think that Lucy thinks it’s just another cat bed for her 🙂
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Lazy Sunday (sort of) =-.

2. very nice…I use a Russian join what kind of a join do you use or do you wait until the end of a row??

3. It turned out beautiful~ now, see, if that knot had not been there, you might have not got to the tan, after all…this worked out purrrrrrrrr-fect!

♥♥♥ the Shawl Blocker Kitteh, she will flatten teh shawlz for youz 😀
    .-= Sandra´s last blog ..ManyhorsesMane shares DD32’s Demon Kitteh: =-.

4. Well it is in her colors after all. Perfectly complementary to her.

5. Very pretty! My kitty-boys would have done the same – because it’s obviouly a kitty blanket not a shawl 🙂
    .-= MelissaW´s last blog ..Lazy Saturdays are necessary! =-.

6. How do you feel about yarn that is tied like that mid-skein? I feel like when I purchase expensive yarn, it ought not to have joins like that – I’ve had sock skeins that were $11 each have knots in the middle and I’ve had to bypass a good amount of yarn to get back to the right spot in the striping, which means I either have to end the sock before I would have (I’m very tall so I usually knit to the end of the skein) or I need to end up splicing all over the place to make things work (if there is a second knot or I’ll end up fudging it on the heel). If it’s cheapo yarn from Ben Franklin I don’t feel so bad if I find a knot but with good yarn I really feel like it ought to be one continuous piece.

7. That is absolutely gorgeous!!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..CEY Knitalong – Soft Linen Sideways Lace Vest =-.

8. Joyce Riedesel says:

My cats love Kauni – it is the only yarn they bother. They grab the ball and huff it like a kid on glue. All Kauni is kept in heavy plastic.

9. Kathryn says:

“So I untied the knit and would the remainder of the skein into a ball.”

Huh? Sorry. Had to bust your chops a bit.

Love the shawl. Those are some of my favorite colors.

10. I would never have figured that one out! Beautiful shawl! luv.m.

11. Very pretty! I meant to ask you yesterday: When you use the two colors of markers, is there a sequence to them?

12. Madeline says:

Just lovely! What do you do with all your shawls? I’m gathering quite a collection myself and am beginning to think I’m just knitting them for the pleasure of it. How many can I actually use? Do you stack them decoratively, like afghans or throws, and use them according to mood? Another, better idea?

13. Beth Wilson says:

Soooo beautiful …. and, obviously, very comfy ….
    I’ve ordered Kauni but wondering if it could be done in Koigu in the meantime ??

*Do we get the pattern ?? ( I hope, I hope, I hope ) ….

14. Your shawl turned out just beautiful! Thanks for explaining about what happened as a result of the knot! I wouldn’t have realized that had I been knitting with it.

15. patricia says:

The shawl is in Lucy colors! Very pretty, both of them.

16. Alexandra Wright-Cross says:

Wendy you are so amazing in what you can knit in such a short amount of time. The kauni shaw is just fabulous!

17. gosh you are fast. it is good to see that you were able to fix the reverse-stripe situation! i look forward to your next project!
    .-= pmoys´s last blog ..Lately… =-.

18. Another Julie says:

It really ticks me off when I come to a factory-tied knot in my yarn. Fortunately the yarn I was working with today was a solid colour.

19. Beautiful shawl in beautiful colors. And of course Lucy wants in on the action. You’ve been “playing” with that every day for however long and now it’s her turn!

20. The shawl is beautiful and looks as though it was made for Miss Lucy.
    .-= Ida´s last blog ..It’s June, It’s Hot, and I Can’t Find a Pattern I Like =-.

21. I love the finished shawl…the pattern is really nice and I love the shading of the yarn…Lucy is pretty cute too!

22. The shawl is very Lucy-colored.
    .-= CarolineF´s last blog ..Out with the new, in with the old =-.

23. Wendy, would you have been disappointed in the color range had you not seen the reverse at the knot? Would it have been just as interesting if the colors moved to the middle and then out? I like some other folks who left comments might not have caught the color reversed and kept merrily on — I too hate knots and knowing yarn is not an infinite length so joins are inherent at some point just undo the knot and make a better join but keep moving on – now I will know to be more careful if there are color changes.

24. KnittingKnails says:

Of course Lucy loves it, brown and blue are Her colours.

25. Lucy found the prime space in the living room- on top of the lovely cowl, right in front of the flat screen! She must be ready to watch her stories.

26. Wendy- I used Kauni in a shawl, and it was fine, but remember that sweater a while back where you had to strand it and stagger the colors? Do you think I could get that to work.

I had to abort the mission.
    .-= Lorraine´s last blog ..New Hamburg =-.

27. Wow! That is super fast! I finished the knitting (need to weave in ends today) of a sweater, but it was only 3 balls of sock yarn with plenty leftover. I cannot imagine it taking me just a week.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..the farmer’s market =-.

28. It’s lovely. And how nice of Lucy to make sure that it is ultra flat before blocking.
    .-= Virginia´s last blog ..An exceedingly busy week =-.

29. jo morgan says:

Wow! I have to admit not caring much for the colors as this progressed — but the result is stunning! I have some Kauni and am asking myself the question — would I even know if the skein was backwards? Nice going, Wendy.

30. so glad re: the knot — good things happen to good knitters.
    I really like the colorway, it’s perfect for a gal like me who lives in her denim and khaki.

31. Lucy’s coloring matches so beautifully with your Kauni shawl–it’s like they were made for each other. 🙂
    .-= The Unraveled Librarian´s last blog ..Wildlife in the Gulf =-.