1. Segel, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply Toes in the "Draco" gradient set on a 3.5 mm (U.S. size 4) needle.

Knot a Problem

There was a bit of discussion in the comments yesterday about the presence of knots in skeins of yarn and the varying emotions that rise at the sight of said knots.

Me, I’m not overly concerned about a single knot in a skein. And in this case (in my skein of Kauni) some care was taken that the newly-joined yarn be the same col0r. It’s kind of amusing that the striping sequence was reversed. Had I not noticed and just continued knitting along, it would not have been the end of the world, either.

I think when you are dealing with yarns like this (and Noro) you have to make the decision to just roll with it and not let these anomalies bother you or you could drive yourself nuts. Just my opinion.

But there have been times when I’ve had a skein of good quality yarn with multiple knots in one skein. There were at least 6 knots in a skein of yarn that had about 220 yards! That I do find unacceptable.

Lucy did consent finally to get off the shawl so I could block it last night. Then she got right back on it.

KauniShawl060810 240x123 Knot a Problem

Blocked, it is 68 inches across the top and 33 down the center back.

KauniShawl060810a 171x240 Knot a Problem

Here’s a close-up:

KauniShawl060810b 240x160 Knot a Problem

Lucy sez:

Lucy060810 240x160 Knot a Problem

“Mine.”

Free pattern coming soon.

Comments

1. The final shawl reminds me of the Lucy Colorway of STR. A perfect bed for Miss Lucy.

2. absolutely gorgeous :-)
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Over the Moon!!! =-.

3. Lucy’s colors, Lucy likes it. And almost a cat’s paw pattern. Was that planned?

4. Jenn, that’s the first thing I thought of was how well it matches Lucy!
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Freight Trains =-.

5. iheartbobross says:

i cant believe how much knitting you get done. seriously. do you sleep!

6. Shirley. in PA says:

It’s beautiful. The pattern is very pretty, and the colors are great.

7. I agree with previous comment–how how how do you get so much knitting done? You must be super fast!
    Great shawl and I like the almost? Cats paw pattern

8. It’s beautiful and, honestly, I wouldn’t have noticed the striping change if you hadn’t mentioned it, Wendy. Wear it in good health!
    Maria in NY

9. Jeanine says:

Beautiful! Lucy knows a good thing when she sees it. :)

10. Love, love, love the colors in this yarn – very beautiful and unusual. Thanks Wendy

11. It’s really pretty. It’s also good to see that I’m not alone in my craft loving cat ownership. My cat even likes to join in helping me type up my blog posts. She tries to sit on my lap and paw at the keys. I think she likes the noise. Either that or she just wants to be the centre of attention. Hmmmm I wonder which it could be???

12. Kate Lathrop says:

Ohhh – do those look like cat paw prints???? Another beautiful shawl Wendy!

13. What a beautiful shawl! And the color is breathtaking! I love how there is a thin blue section on the edge, that ties it up so nice. Such talent, can’t wait for the pattern!

14. Love the subtle progression of colors. Can’t wait for the pattern. Thank you for making this a Freebie :)
    .-= JoAnn´s last blog ..Sawyer’s 1st of 9 Lives =-.

15. Loverly! Just loverly!

16. That is a lovely shawl! And thanks in advance for the free pattern… I have a skein of Kauni that is resisting my other attempts to knit it up, and might become this instead.
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Week 23: Princess of Glass =-.

17. Love it. Not only is it gorgeous – but it’s obviously quite cozy and snuggly. Cats are very picky about what they’ll lounge on you know. ;)

18. Love the shawl and am looking forward to the free pattern! Looks like Lucy, Lucy likes it, is name going to contain “Lucy”? Enquiring minds want to know. luv.m.

19. Hi Wendy!

Congratulations on finishing the shawl. It may not be a big deal to you to finish it, but it’s always a big deal when I finish something! It’s beautiful – I, too, wasn’t too sure about the color combination when I first saw the yarn, but it turned out to be quite lovely.

Question: I think you mentioned that the yarn seemed a little on the scratchy side. Did it soften up when you blocked it?

Thanks (in advance) for sharing the pattern!

Gwen

20. Of course, it’s hers: Look how well their colorways coordinate.

21. Knots occasionally drive me bananas. But most of the time I notice while I’m winding the yarn into a cake.

And yes, that should definitely be Lucy’s shawl.
    .-= Virginia´s last blog ..An exceedingly busy week =-.

22. Lovely result, Wendy. I’ve just the right amount of kauni to make one for my daughter.

23. CaroleP (ohio says:

Wow! Do I love that shawl – the color change and your pattern choice. Beautiful. Must get me some Kauni! Thanks for making it a freebie. Good thing it’s too big for Lucy!

24. Love this shawl, so pretty :)

25. Definitely Lucy’s colors and cat’s paw pattern so she should get to keep it.

26. Beautiful shawl, beautiful Kauni!
    I recently have had 5 knots in MIssion Falls1824 cotton. So far. I have a total of 23 skeins, 10 colors, many skeins are hardly touched. Seems like in 84 yards per skein they could find one length of yarn without knotting. Just sayin’.

27. Beautiful! And aren’t Lucy’s eyes blue???
    .-= bren´s last blog ..Between a Rock and….. =-.

28. Lucy looks perfect on it!

29. Everyone seems to be thinking just as I did – Lucy loves it because it’s her colors! Looking forward to the pattern . . . .

30. Orghlaith says:

Beautiful. As usual. I like coming to your blog to feast on ‘pretty’. It lifts my spirits when we are enduring yet another week of rain. Thank you.

31. Beautiful shawl!

I don’t like knots. They make be a bit crazy. I especially don’t like knots in Noro; they don’t take care with the colors matching!
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..Single Skein Club: June edition =-.

32. Lucy just has good taste in shawls – it’s beautiful! Your shawls have been some of my favorites to knit since I started doing shawls. The colorway is really nice in this too. Ditto on the knots – I’ll tolerate 1 or 2, but really detest finding more.

Thanks for sharing!

33. BuckfastBee says:

Hi,
    I know that I don’t match the blog theme of today but I just read http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/ and the said charting program seems very comfortable to me. Esp the part with the automaticly translation from charting symbols into written instructions and vice versa.
    I think some people will find it useful.
    Have a nice day!

34. I love the shawl, very nice indeed. One question tho as I am new to knitting in general, what is “Blocking”, is it like stretching the item out once you have finished knitting it???

Re. Knots I would not be impressed at all, I knitted some scarves as Christmas presents last year in that bobble wool which was very popular then and in one ball of wool I only found one but much muttering could be heard, one was not amused!

Lisax

35. Susan D. Smith says:

Lucy recognized her yarn soulmate. Perhaps that’s why you selected the colorway and why it “called” to you. Maybe you can start a new knitting promo: “Free kitty with each pattern” (just joking, Lucy).

Can’t wait for the pattern to go up. I have the perfect yarn at home for it, which also happens to match one of my cats (wonder how many knitters unconsciously do that – match skeins to their pets’ coats?),,,

SUE

36. That shawl turned out BEAUTIFUL! I love the colors in the yarn. I will have to have this pattern and knit it up! Now to find a pretty yarn for it.

37. Lovely shawl! Can’t wait for your new pattern! Maybe I’ll even knit one myself someday. :-)
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..ARGH! =-.

38. Beautiful! I love the close-up detail photo.
    .-= The Unraveled Librarian´s last blog ..Wildlife in the Gulf =-.

39. Agreeing with Lynn, this does look like a cat’s paw pattern! You may have to make a mini-shawlette for Miss Lucy. Regardless, it’s lovely and I so appreciate you making it a free pattern. I have a ton of lace weight yarn, some handpainted, and really should take inspiration from your pictures–and get busy with a shawl, already!

40. Love it!! I have been wanting to try a little lace knitting and this may be what pushes me over the edge. It is absolutely gorgeous. Lucy obviously has excellent taste.

41. It’s gorgeous! I am always so impressed with how nicely you are able to block your projects. Would you be willing to do a post on your blocking process?

42. Beautiful shawl! if I were Lucy, I’d claim it, too! :-)
    .-= Laurie´s last blog ..Ivory =-.

43. Wendy Bloom says:

Absolutely beautiful! I’m itching to get over to Needlework Unltd. to fondle that Kauni in person!
    MEGAPHONE BLARING: “This is the stash police – back away from the yarn and keep that credit card in your pocket!”

44. Well, I wasn’t the first to take one look at your shawl and say “That’s Lucy’s colorway from STR!”

45. Roseanne says:

Beautiful, Lucy colors!

46. The Lucy Shawl! Lovely!
    .-= MicheleinMaine´s last blog ..Dancing Cats Project Bag =-.

47. WOW. just WOW. That would have teken me months to complete and I will block from now on! thats beautiful.

48. I love how magical blocking is. I have a shawlette I’m planning on starting soon. As soon as I find a big enough needle.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..the farmer’s market =-.

49. You must admit – the shawls colors accent Lucy perfectly!
    .-= Sue H´s last blog ..Been over a week =-.

50. Beautiful work, and I see the kitty agrees! Well she should, as the shawl highlights expert workmanship as well as colour choice – the shawl and the cat match! Pure work of loveliness.
    .-= Bonnie Zink´s last blog ..The Knitting Sprawl meets the Saskatoon Knitting Circle … =-.

51. Deb Simon says:

Gorgeous, as usual!

52. My LYS won’t accept a return of yarn unless there are at least five knots. Worse yet, I had a skein of Berocco sock yarn, a knot and then the remainder of the skein a different dye lot. I contacted the company and they promised to replace the skein (big deal!) and then never did. It has left a sour taste in my mouth with that brand.

53. This is a beautiful shawl! Looking forward to the free pattern!

54. Gorgeous! And I really love the colors, the blue adds a great “pop”. Also, enjoyed your insights into knots in a skein. I feel the same way, often times they are the nature of the beast and you just have to roll with it. But I too feel it’s unacceptable to have more than 2 knots. For some reason I seem to find lots of knots even more offensive if the skein is a single color.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..April/May KAL Wrap Up =-.

55. The knot thing really depends on what you’re trying to do, I think, and what yarn you’re trying to do it with. When I picked out yarn for my Sibyl scarf (hope that Rav link works) I was a Kureyon virgin and hence unaware that if I wanted a smooth and uniformly repeating color sequence I should try to pick skeins that all started and ended in the same place. As it happened one skein had a knot in the middle, and it looked as though someone had accidentally put it at the wrong end of one of the two yarn lengths, so that if the normal color sequence was ABCDEF that skein was instead DEFCBA (hope that makes some sense); therefore judicious rewinding and spit-splicing did the trick.

I get kinda annoyed when I find a knot in a yarn that doesn’t felt, a cotton or a superwash for instance, because there’s nothing for it but to remove the knot, join as though I had a new skein and weave in the extra tails, and since I do a lot of colorwork I usually have more tails than I need already, thanks just the same. But it’s the nature of the beast, I’ve gotten reasonably good at weaving in, and it’s not a problem, unless, as you point out, a skein contains multiple knots. That’s a pain. (Btw when you spit-splice do you use a Russian join? I learned it fairly recently, and I’m very happy with it.)

The shawl is lovely! And it does seem to have taken its colors from a Siamese/Himalayan cat.
    .-= Lucia´s last blog ..Ten on Tuesday =-.

56. It’s gorgeous!

57. The shawl is beautiful! I can understand Lucy’s draw to the shawl, it does match her coloring perfectly!
    .-= Walden´s last blog ..Video Blogging #1 =-.