1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Progress and Not

First of all, congratulations to Beth in Seattle who was chosen by the Random Number Generator to receive my review copy of the Debbie Bliss baby book. Beth, I’ve emailed you.

I made some great progress on my sweater over the weekend. I finished the body and neckband.

wip062710 240x233 Progress and Not

I finished a sleeve.

wip062710a 240x174 Progress and Not

I sewed the sleeve into one armhole and tried the sweater on.

And hated it. It looks lousy on me, so this project has now officially been relegated to UFO status.

I’ll start something new shortly.

These things happen. It’s just the chance you take when you knit something. It’s not like you can try it on first.

So I think I’ll return to something lacy.

Lucy, meanwhile, continues to relax.

lucy062710 240x160 Progress and Not

It’s a tough life.

Comments

1. don’t you just hate it when things like that happen!

2. Oh no! And all that linen stitch that you so patiently knit! Sorry it didn’t work out.

3. Oh no, I hate when that happens!
    .-= kala´s last blog ..Knitscene- Fall 2010 =-.

4. Wow, that’s so much linen stitch down the tubes… hopefully that nice yarn won’t kink up and go to waste, certainly it would make something lacy – at a later date. Have a good Sunday!

5. Bummer!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Friday photos =-.

6. That sounds like a perfect candidate for a gift. I, for instance, love that shade of green. ;)

7. anne marie in philly says:

bummer, dude! frog or finish for charity purposes…

8. Good thing you sewed the first sleeve in before you finished the second….. On another note, I just saw an “italian bind off” for toe up socks in a book. Ever try that one, they claim it’s stretchy?

9. You have the right attitude. If you can’t accept the occasional bad outcome of knitting or quilting or crocheting or anything else, then you should not be doing any of it. I told that to a friend once when I showed her a quilt I decided was simply no good and would never be finished. She said “How can you do that?” Attitude! Go on and begin again. That is life.

10. Ugh, I hate when that happens. But it’s never wasted time because you could just have easily been baking cookies that didn’t turn out or a fancy gourmet dinner. Not that they would take that long to make but the point is there. How about you could have spent a week cutting and sewing a gown for a fancy party only to find out it’s just a little too big and the colour really doesn’t look good on you after all. Not that I’ve done that. Nope, not me.

11. Kathie Brownlee says:

My usual Sunday boredom….so I was hoping there would be a new picture of Lucy. And there is!!!! Yea Lucy!!!
    (are you sure this is a knitting blog, not a Lucy blog?)

12. Barbara Petraske says:

sorry to hear your latest project does not look good on — glad Lucy seems not to be concerned that you have a UFO.

13. The top looks lovely. Any chance it would look nice without the sleeves? I love to watch how quickly your projects grow, so I’m not sad to await the next one!

14. Wendy, so disappointed for you, that sweater looked absolutely gorgeous, and I truly salute you for sooo much linen stitch. Hope the fabulous yarn can be froggedand reknit into something you will adore.
    .-= KathyB´s last blog ..Mole Alert- Working Like a Dog =-.

15. Melissa says:

Isn’t it terrible when that happens. But better to put it aside (to be frogged and remade into something fabulous later) than to waste time trying to convince yourself that “it doesn’t really look THAT bad” (especially when you know it DOES).

16. Ah well, such is life, time for a ‘toes up’ and a nice cup of tea! May your next project be a huge success and bring you many compliments.

17. What happened with the sweater — inquiring minds want details, please!

It’s that one in 1000 suck designs that keeps me from venturing from sock knitting into something enormous like a sweater. All that time! I’m not sure I have that much left to give up to sucky patterns. I’m sticking to footware. At least my feet will look good when they come to put me in a box.
    .-= LizAnderson´s last blog ..Tell Me- Is There a Sign Above My Head =-.

18. I am sorry, Wendy, that you are not happy with the sweater. However, I think it is actually good to put it aside and then, I hope, repurpose that lovely yarn. I finished a sock recently and disliked the fit, even though it is very cute. I am knitting what would have been the second sock, changed the needle size and I am liking it much better. I had actually considered knitting the second sock with that first size wrong needle, I guess so all my work wouldn’t go to waste but desisted, thank goodness. Something lacy would be nice for your next project…

19. Too bad about the sweater. I have finished a few that have never been worn. I think that is why I stick to shawls. I don’t wear them either but I do like to knit them and take them out and look at them.
    .-= Suzanne´s last blog ..Seed Stitch Yoke Cardigan FO =-.

20. Oh I’m so sorry after all the work you put into all those linen stitches. You are right, it’s not like you can try it on before you start knitting!!!! Did you just not like the style on you? It’s a very pretty sweater.
    .-= Elizabeth´s last blog ..Croquet anyone =-.

21. Just curious about what it was that you hated about the sweater. The look of the stitch on your body or the design? Boat neck sweaters are not for everyone. I’m frogging a sweater myself because I knew I would see every design flaw every time I wore it. Will never knit another sweater by that designer! I hate to lose all that effort but hate the sweater more.

22. Such a shame!
    Was it the style or the color…?
    It looks beautiful in your pictures.

23. I’m sorry you don’t like the sweater, what a shame. Do you know anyone who is sweater-worthy you could give it to? It would definitely have to be someone who would love it.

24. I recently completed a sweater that was disappointing when I tried it on. It is actually encouraging to know that even very accomplished knitters (which you obviously are)also have that happen sometimes.It makes those of us who are still learning, feela little bit better!

25. Lisa Downing says:

I’m so sorry it didn’t work out for you, Wendy. It looks beautiful. Would you mind my asking what you didn’t like about it? I could use some insight in choosing patterns for me, although, obviously it doesn’t always work, even for seasoned knitters. Happy lace knitting. LisaD in upstate NY.

26. Pretty sweater. Wish it had worked for you. Bummer – Too baad.

27. Awwwwww. Unfortunately, I know what you mean. How many UFOs actually fall into this category? And then some people wonder why others prefer to knit scarves, slippers, socks and the like.

28. Elaine Larsen says:

Sad news indeed. But I’m not surprised.

29. Dr. Jackie says:

Bummer indeed…but so close…don’t you know someone who would be eternally grateful for a green linen stitch sweater? Bet you could have it done in a day or two…and it wouldn’t have to sit and be so lonely in the UFO drawer….

30. All that work!! All those linen-stitch stitches!! All that time!! So sorry your sweater sucked on you…don’t you just hate when that happens?! So glad, though, that you have such a cavalier attitude toward it all. I mean, you nonchalantly chuck it all into the UFO pile and go on with something in lace. You are a better one than I am, that’s for sure. You go, girl!!

31. Oh boy. That is so frustrating.

I’ve found that I can’t just let projects like that die, though. I always finish them and give them away to somebody (usually my sister-in-law, who is skinny and gorgeous and looks good in anything.)

32. I am sorry to hear you didn’t like your sweater. I hope that for you, like me, much of knitting is about the process not necessarily the end product. I will just put that UFO aside until I see a new pattern that will be perfect for that yarn in my “stash.” Can’t wait to see what you will find for that yarn. Happy Knitting!

33. Ugh . . . but it sounds as though you were able to toss it off to one side without too much angst. Kinda of why I stopped making anything sweater-like for myself – - too many disappointments. I don’t screw up socks, scarves, or shawls – - or baby things! Looking forward to seeing our next WIP.

34. That stinks! I hope your next project is more to your liking.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..chronic overscheduling =-.

35. soooooooo sorry! all that work, but yeah…

can’t wait to see your next WIP :)
    .-= Sandra´s last blog ..ManyhorsesMane is having a lovely visit with Teh Grandbaby RHonda and Baby Mommy ♥♥♥ =-.

36. Would different length sleeves help? I made mine 3/4 length. Just a thought.
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..Awesome Saturday =-.

37. Celestine says:

We are with you girl. I could almost feel your pain as I read your blog, but I must say you have a great outlook about something not working out. Could you complete the project and give to someone else as a gift or is it that bad? Are you going to frog and use that beautiful yarn on something else?
    Here is wishing only Happy Knitting on your next project.

38. How about as a tank top?

39. Ah! How can you just toss it aside? I mean just because it doesn’t fit you well doesn’t mean it won’t fit someone else well! After all that work, finish it and donate it to a charity!
    .-= Chantelle´s last blog ..A Quick Bit of Motivation =-.

40. stephanie reynolds says:

I’m torn between finishing and giving away (you are so close to done!) Or unraveling it! I love reusing yarn and regularly check out Goodwill for sweaters with nice yarn. I’v made several sweaters out of recyled yarn and I end up with a great sweater and the fun of finding and reusing!

41. Wendy, what a disappointment……Onward and laceward.

42. jo morgan says:

Hummm. It seems as if the majority of responses are sympathetic and basically about moving on. While I agree, I also think such a lovely color and such a lovely knit may deserve a second chance. Like a few others, I’m really curious about what you didn’t like about it. Jo

43. Helen Wyld says:

Nooooooooooooo!! All that effort – frog it when you can face it!!

44. Jennifer Eckel says:

offer as is in a contest. You will get rid of the ufo.

45. Beth in Seattle says:

I admire your decisiveness!

46. I agree with Jennifer. Put it ‘as is’ in the random # generator genie and then you won’t have to look at it. Finishing it and giving it to someone else would be way too much penance.
    .-= Michele Corbeil´s last blog ..Pink Coral Mia Bag =-.

47. I would gladly adopt her!
    .-= Alice in Richmond´s last blog ..52310 Little Bits and Pieces =-.