1. Strandwanderer, designed by Lea Viktoria, knit from Wollmeise Merino "Pure" in the "Zenzi" colorway on a 3.25 mm (U.S. size 3) needle.

No Worries

Thank you for your condolences on the demise of my Elemental Boatneck. It’s not a big deal, really.

Several of you asked what the issue was with it. It was, as I said in yesterday’s post, unflattering. Well, technically I said it looked lousy on me. Imagine, if you will, a plastic garbage bag with holes cut out for head and arms. That would likely look better than this sweater did. Not that it was too small or too big — I imagine it fit the way it was supposed to. It was just unflattering and something I would never wear.

I really ought to know better than to attempt to knit summer sweaters. But my last two summer knits (CeCe and and d’Azur) were both successes, so I threw caution to the wind and tried another summer sweater. Yeah, no.

But all I did was waste some time and kill some yarn, so it is no biggie. I will not bother to rip and repurpose the yarn. The Rowan Linpur is a multi-strand yarn that I know from recent experience looks, well, a little ratty after being ripped out. Truthfully, the whole thing went out in the trash yesterday.

(Yes, you might think this is a waste of yarn. Yes, I could have finished the sweater and donated it to charity. But considering that I have donated bags and bags of nice clothing over the past few months, I don’t feel bad about trashing a sweater that I think is ugly and unflattering. I think my charity karma is just fine at this point. Remember the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was trying to donate the muffin “stumps” to the poor and the poor refused to take them? Yeah, that’s how I feel about this sweater.)

So yesterday afternoon I started something fun.

WUIP062810 240x160 No Worries

This is the beginning of a shawlette of my own design. I am using some of my very yummy new Loopy Ewe Solid Series Yarn. This is the Hydrangea colorway.

This is a fingering weight yarn, so it is the perfect weight (in my mind) for lace. It comes in 2 ounce skeins of about 220 yards, so I plan to use 2 skeins for my shawlette. So far, I am having a very good time indeed. The yarn is lovely to knit and the color is bright and cheerful.

And I am using my fabulous fabulous US size 6 Signature needle with stiletto tip, which makes lace knitting so much fun.

Needle062810 240x160 No Worries

Life is good.

Lucy062810 240x160 No Worries

Comments

1. I am anxiously awaiting the Signature circulars in sizes one and two–to knit your toe-up socks with, of course! Can’t wait for the reveal of your new shawl.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Not another pair of socks- And tips for TAAT =-.

2. Lovin’ the shawl so far!

3. cute shawl!
    .-= LaLa´s last blog ..Episode 14 – Lots to Share- =-.

4. You are so cute, Miss Lucy!!!
    Sissela in Sweden

5. Sandra D says:

I love your attitude. Love the new shawlette color, too.

6. Ditto at Sandra!
    You have a wonderful attitude (one I hope to learn when I completely botch a knitting project!) And the new shawlette looks great! The color is super!

7. Wow! You are good at throwing out! I am going to remember that and do the same. Thanks.

8. I’m looking forward to seeing the new yarn knit up!
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Planning and preparation =-.

9. I am so glad to hear you throw things out – I have in the past – especially left-over bits and pieces of yarn, half-made sweaters that just didn’t work out – and I always felt guilty (probably always will), but because somehow I feel like I should be able to find a use for them and/or finish the project and make it work. Yeah for throwing things out!!!!! : )

10. I used to make mosaics, you can see them here: http://mosaicpieces.shutterfly.com and sometimes the idea I had, the design and the colors seemed wonderful until they were all put together! And it was so hard to admit that I hated the final piece! But eventually I did, and I just threw it out (or chucked it, as we say in the UK)

Now I knit, so far I have not abandoned anything, but I am pretty sure the day will come and I will not feel guilty about throwing something out, because if you can do it, then so can I!!

Wendy

PS: I am loving Loopy’s new colors, can’t decide which one I want the most!!

11. I admire the fact that you threw out the almost done sweater. Life is too short to feel guilty about something that you know is not going to work. And I LOVE the color of the shawl yarn. WTG!
    .-= KateinIowa´s last blog ..Its one with a BIG O =-.

12. patricia says:

Thanks for the inspiration! I’m getting better at abandoning projects for whatever reason. I keep telling myself ‘If you don’t like it now, you won’t like it later’. Haven’t been able to toss anything more than yarn scraps or really worn out yarn. But I’m making progress!

The new Loopy Solids are wonderful! I see some of that yarn in my future.

13. Pam aka inlovewithalpaca says:

OMG! I so want those needles. now off to find a source to purchase them unless you know of one that would be great.

14. I have thrown away countless sweaters. The shawl is lovely!
    .-= Sara´s last blog ..I Call It Still Life With Jammies =-.

15. Melanie says:

I am looking forward to a shawl. I do not knit sweaters for the very same issue you just had. I usually do not like how they look. I find that I purchase very few summer sweaters. So I do not spend time. Lucy is beautiful.

16. redheadyaya says:

I agree!!! Sometimes it’s just better to get it out of the house. When I have an issue like that, I just consider it “bad juju” and would rather not have it around to keep my knitting karma down. You go girl!!

17. Dorothy says:

I agree some things are not worth finishing to give away. The time it would take to finish the sweater can be spent on much more fun stuff……..like your new shawlette I cannot wait to see. Ah Lucy definitely looks like life is good.

18. Pam Beeching says:

I have a laceweight kid/silk sort of circular-shruggie effort in my wardrobe that was supposed to be an incredibly sexy thing to wear over short sleeved dresses in the summer. Not only do I NOT wear short sleeves dresses but any attempt to keep the circular-shruggie-thing on my shoulders has proved fruitless – despite pins and double-sided sticky tape. In fact ‘Management Indoors’ commented that when I try to wear it, I look blurred because of the fuzzy yarn and – being bodily bountiful – ‘blurred’ is not a look I want to go with. I’ve unpicked it only because it was expensive and I felt I had to. You are a heroine for just lobbing your top in the bin! Some knitties are just not meant to be.

19. Irishwasherwoman says:

I, too, recently gifted a project to the trash container. It turned out terribly — I had made a huge mistake, the project didn’t turn out as pictured, etc. It would have been a nightmare to reknit the yarn, so off it went. It was hard, but I’d rather have it out of the house than staring at me for the next few decades.

20. Life is too short to work on projects we don’t love!

21. cathy s says:

My experience: I’ve never met a boatneck I liked.

22. Tho’ you can’t tell from today’s photo, your new shawlette matches Miss Lucy’s lovely eyes!
    Can’t wait to see it develop!
    (((Hugs)))
    .-= Knitnana´s last blog ..More Lace- =-.

23. Oooo, I just got my new Knit Picks yarn in the mail yesterday. Had to get some to try it out…ya know? Now, I know what I am going to make with it…just going to admire it until your new pattern comes out. You are one inspiring gal!

24. Signature needles – - would you say they are pointer than Knitpicks? That much nicer? What length did you get for your Size 6 – - I’m gonna bite and get one too but I don’t know if I should get 24″ or 32″ – - – I tend to use 24″ the most. I’ve been eyeballing them for a long, long while.

25. I love the new color of the shawl and cannot wait to see the progress of it!

26. There is nothing wrong with throwing something out especially if you would feel bad foisting it onto someone else. It’s sort of like the old, “God, this is horrible, do you want it?” that I know lots of people do, especially with food and drink.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..chronic overscheduling =-.

27. I am so glad you shared about just trashing the whole project. I was saying yikes! as I read it, but then I thought really it was for the best. These things happen, and we shouldn’t be afraid to sometimes just let it go! Thanks for sharing this! You have helped countless knitters! :)
    .-= Christina Bieloh´s last blog ..Back home- =-.

28. Thank you, thank you, thank you for chunking a project that was nice in theory, but a bummer in real life. As probably the only person on the planet who threw out a whole skein of Koigu that was becoming the socks from hell, I applaud your willingness to just say “buh bye.” I’ve always felt guilty about getting rid of yarn that everyone gushes about, but after your post I feel just fine about it! Yay!

29. Helen Wyld says:

Decisive trashing! Good for you!

30. That solid series yarn really is very pretty… loving the colour :)
    .-= pip´s last blog ..Fyberspates - =-.

31. Mary Beth says:

I appreciate your post about stopping the sweater when you realized it wasn’t going to work for you! I had made the beginning of a sweater that wasn’t working for me. It was top down and when I tried it on, my first thought was “ewwwww”. I was going to keep going, but when I read your post, I decided against it. No sense in trying to pretend it would get better or that I’d magically start to like it… and that was a big step for me!

Thanks!

32. LOL the Muffin Stumps episode! Yep, I likes the way you thinks~

Yums to the Hydrangea colorway too :)
    .-= Sandra´s last blog ..ManyhorsesMane says teh Baby Gurl and Baby Mommy have gone homethe house- she is sooooooo quiet nowno- srsly no Screaming Mimi =-.

33. Bob from Knitty is a wonderful summer knit. I love mine!
    .-= Karin´s last blog ..Notice a trend =-.

34. I collect and reuse other’s hand-knitted/crocheted items — I typically get them from yard sales for cheap or my LYS for old samples and then turn them into yarn grafitti. I feel better rescuing these strays and finding a good home for them where they can be enjoyed by many. If anyone has anything they’d like to send to me, I’d love it! I will pay the postage.