1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

New Project

Before I talk about my new project, I wanted to give you a heads up that the Winter’s Morn Shawl is now available for sale in my Ravelry Shop, here. It will soon be available for purchase in hard copy from The Loopy Ewe as well. That reminds me — The Loopy Ewe has copies of the Woodland Walk Shawlette for sale for those of you who prefer to buy in hard copy.

So I started a new project.

I wanted something relatively easy to work on for the next little while as I’ve got a lot of other stuff on my plate. When the new Knitty came out, I was drawn immediately to the Victoria cardigan. It looks like the perfect transitional piece to wear in the fall.

I decided to make mine from a wool/cotton blend since I always seem to be too warm to wear a 100% wool sweater. I chose Rowan’s new Amy Butler Belle Organic Aran, which is a 50/50 blend of organic wool and cotton. After much deliberation, I chose the “Saddle Brown” colorway. I wish this yarn had a wider choice of colors — I wanted a neutral but didn’t want to make it in a light color, so the color I chose was pretty much the only choice. The only other colorways I would consider a neutral are Moonflower and Slate. Moonflower is too light and Slate — well, I am not fond of grey and don’t think it is a flattering color for me. So Saddle Brown it was. I ordered it from The Loopy Ewe and it arrived yesterday.

yarn071510 240x160 New Project

I knit a gauge swatch, starting with a size 6 needle (the pattern suggests a size 8). But I’m a loose knitter and my yarn might be a little heavier than that used for the original, so my instinct was correct — I got gauge with the size 6. I cast on for the back last night and finished the ribbing this morning on the train, and got started on the moss stitch.

WIP071510 240x160 New Project

This is gonna be lots and lots of moss stitch!

I am making the size large, which has a finished measurement of 44″. I’m thinking of this cardigan as an outerwear piece, so I wanted it a bit roomy.

Be prepared to look at lots and lots of moss stitch for the next few weeks.

Lucy sez:

Lucy071510 240x160 New Project

“Get rid of the stupid camera — I need some lap time!”

Comments

1. That was the first thing I was drawn to, also!! LOVE IT!
    I am cold natured and will be using MadTosh DK in Rosewood. Had some languishing in the stash and can’t think of a better thing to use it on.
    Keep us posted on your progress. I KNOW I won’t be able to keep up with you, but I will be trying!

2. Think I’ll drop by my LYS on my way home from work today and pick up some yarn to do this project too. It’s 90 today but this is Oregon and soon it will be drizzly again. Love this pattern. Thanks!

3. That sweater will be gorgeous! I don’t think I could handle all the moss stitch myself, but to each her own. I’m contemplating doing Mythos from the same issue. (So why does the idea of a sweater from fingering weight not bother me as much as the idea of all that moss stitch?) :-)
    .-= Ariadne´s last blog ..UFO Attack =-.

4. I’ve got this in my ravelry queue. It’s a great looking sweater. I love the color you chose, Wendy. It’s almost like a pumpkiny-spice color. Very warm and fall-like. I’m looking forward to your progress pics.
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Cuddly Wuddly =-.

5. After my meltdown with my Honeybee Stole this afternoon, lots and lots of moss stitch sounds good. I’m working a throw using chunky yarn and a 5 x 5 basketweave which I’m now going to work. Then I shall finish my Swan Song socks in Tempted’s Glam Grrl.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..It’ll be easier now =-.

6. My kitty is on my lap right now too!

7. Keri’s new yarn is so beautiful. I can not think of any nicer surprise than a skein of this yarn.

8. Dorothy says:

That colour is gorgeous and will look great with your hair colour. Very Autumn!! Yes! Love on that kitty! I have had a few demands lately for attention, to include my yarn being chewed as I was knitting. She was very sneaky!! :)

9. I think I’d put this in my queue too. I was looking at it the other day and love it. That is a lot of moss stitch. I always complain about doing it, but really I kinda like it. And I definitely LOVE the look of it! Looking forward to seeing your finished cardigan. The color looks beautiful!

10. Ok this is kinda neat. I just read this post in my google reader. Then I started playing with Stumble for a few minutes – up came your website after just a few clicks. :)

11. Beverly (db81971) says:

That sweater is also on my “start ASAP list” but I think I might have to poke my eyes out with my needles half way through with all the moss stitch.

GOOD LUCK!

12. Maureen says:

Thanks for the blog.
    I follow regularly and love
    the tips and of course Lucy!!
    I want to do the sweater and will
    be looking for the cotton
    and wool combo also.

13. God bless you and the moss stitch…hope your shoulder can handle it…my mind can’t…

14. That is a ton of moss stitch. I’ve been doing a ton of ribbing (well and double knitting, which sometimes feels like ribbing), so moss stitch is definitely not my next stop. I think it is colorwork next!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..a tiny break =-.

15. Bonnie H. says:

I think the color is very “you”! It will be beautiful.

16. very nice color, one of my favorites, as well ~ looking forward to the progress pics!

How many times has Miss Lucy been “worked” into a project? LOL!
    .-= Sandra´s last blog ..ManyhorsesMane says TGIF- Plurkies! =-.

17. Spring Davidson says:

You are amazing…I am in awe of how much knitting you complete every day (and that you still manage to blog about it!)

18. Lynne E. says:

Oh boy, you have my sympathy! Moss stitch is beautiful, but it’s just too darn much work when it’s the background stitch in an adult garment. I’m looking forward to seeing you whip through this project, though. A brief word of praise: your blog is one of a handful that I still read, because you always have interesting content, write regularly, and write short entries when you aren’t doing anything worth talking about. Sorry that you’re not able to travel, but hopefully you’ll be able to travel again someday, perhaps after you retire from your day job.

19. Rosemary Martin says:

Lovely yarn. Since I am in my usual summer sock knitting craze (it is hot here in the Mississippi Gulf Coast) and small things work for me then, I would really like to try it. Today we are thankfull that the BP oil well has stop gushing. Pray that it holds and that BP will live up to their responsiblity and do what ever can be done to restore our marshlands and help the people put totally out of work for no one knows how long. This is distroying a culture and a way of life for so many people.

Rosemary

20. Rosemary Martin says:

I forgot to memtion that I bought your toe up books and learning to knit socks that way as I had tried it. Finished on sock and started on the second! I am liking this method and may stick to it. 2 circular needles of course.

21. Pretty! I think it will be lovely in that color. Very autumn-ish. I’m knitting a scarf for my daughter in a similar yarn and color. (Alas, I know my limitations.)

Can’t wait to see the sweater finished. As fast as you knit, that could be any minute.
    .-= Mary Lee´s last blog ..Unsealed! =-.

22. … i much prefer loose cardigans … look forward to seeing it progress :)

23. I love the look of that sweater, as well. But for me the style is longer than I am comfortable wearing. Are you planning on shortening it at all?
    .-= picadrienne´s last blog ..10 on Tuesday =-.

24. I do love a moss stitch. That color is perfect for the fall!
    .-= The Unraveled Librarian´s last blog ..Ack! =-.

25. Marianne Mileham says:

I am in awe of how fast you are able to knit sweaters and shawls! I am finishing my first adult sweater. It is a pullover that was knit in the round then the sleeves were added in at the armhole level. I love the fact I only have to seem the sleeves and armhole! I am looking for a cardigan pattern that is knit seamlessly like that. Could you point me in the right direction to find a pattern like that?
    By the way, I was finishing a book last night called Casting Spells by Barbara Bretton and was pleasantly surprised to see you two peices at the end about lace knitting and sock knitting. You are very funny!

26. jo morgan says:

Darn it, Wendy! I’m already in process on three cardigans and you show another irresistable pattern! I wish I could turbocharge my knitting hands! Jo

27. Seafair Narr says:

I am amazed at the amount of projects you are able to finish each year. I am slowly getting a Sea Silk scarf (Storm water Shawl) in 70%silk, 30# seacell made and finished. It has taken quite a while but I have been busy…but so are you!! I will keep working hard to get it done and on to another project. Keep up the good work and showing us marvelous projects. What do you do with all your finished things?? Lovely yarns in all of them. Seafair Narr, Virginia Beach, Va 23455. (Olivia’s mom)

28. What cast on did you do on the sweater?

29. Pretty yarn and pretty colorway!
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..Sneak Preview of new free pattern =-.