1. Woodfords, designed by Elizabeth Doherty, knit from Madelinetosh Merino Light in the "paper" colorway on U.S. size 3, 5, and 7 needles.

Moss Block

Last night I summoned the energy to block the back of Victoria.

Back072110 181x240 Moss Block

I actually wet-blocked this — something I almost never do for sweaters. I usually will do a pass over sweater pieces with a steam iron and that’s that.

But I wanted to block this out exactly to size, and I wanted to block the bottom ribbing out straight, and I thought I’d get more control with a wet-block than a steam block. So into the sink with warm water and woolwash it went, and onto my foam interlocking mat pieces. I just pinned it in a few strategic spots to make sure it would stay in place.

While I photographed this on the floor for a better “bird’s eye view” it has actually been sitting on the dining room table, where there is less chance of Lucy lolling about on it while it dries.

And I finished the right side front last night.

RightSideFront072110 161x240 Moss Block

And started the left side front.

I’ve decided to wait until I have the left side front completed before blocking the fronts. That way I can block them side-by-side to ensure a perfect match.

The Fiber Cooperative

Do you know about The Fiber Cooperative?

It’s an online marketplace where small indie companies who have small budgets for advertising and promotion have gotten together. You can shop by categories, and search for items. Each individual seller has a “storefront” page where  they have their own banner and space to post some of the highlights of their shop. The links for each vendor take you to their individual shop (on etsy, for example).

It’s a great way to find lovely fiber-related items from small indie companies that might otherwise be difficult to winkle out on a big site like etsy.

Q&A from the Comments

Why, no, they haven’t replaced my office window yet.

OfficeWindow072110 240x154 Moss Block

Thanks for asking, Melissa. In the three weeks or so since it was broken I’ve had three building engineers and 2 glass contractors up in my office looking at it.

Roseann asked how I am keeping track of all the shaping in this pattern and if I am using an iPhone/iTouch/iPad app.

I do have a number of knitting apps for my iPad and I confess that I really have not used any of them. The way I am keeping track of the shaping in this pattern is by writing notes on my printout of the pattern.

The old-fashioned way sometimes is the best way. icon smile Moss Block

Lucy sez:

Lucy072110 240x160 Moss Block

“Meow.”

Comments

1. imjustlori says:

Evil Wendy, showing me something like that. Which I can’t get into. Because all your followers are trying at the same time.

I’ll keep trying, and I can’t wait to see what’s there!

2. Cyndi J says:

Bookmarked the Fiber Coop – they have some lovely stuff! thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to see the sweater finished and I have to say that I love Lucy’s floor mat!

3. Celestine says:

Thanks Wendy for telling us about the fiber cooperative. I am always looking for a way to support the independent artists. However, my husband thinks I already to a good enough job without your help….;0) I say, keep the GOOD job!

4. OMG….I just looked up the sweater you are making…its wonderful…I LOVE IT…but I would have to just shoot myself in the foot for all that moss stitch…is there another stitch a person could use that would be comparable to that for making this sweater?

5. I have knitting app on my Droid and about all I use it for is keeping up with my near-future queue and for the counters. I still use my 10 row counter and use Droid counters to keep up with the number of 10s. I’ve found that my notebook is best for taking pattern/project notes.
    .-= southparknitter´s last blog ..Ooh baby baby =-.

6. I have a question: does the charcoal mat bleed onto the wet fiber? just curious, before I “click to buy” –

thanks!
    .-= margaret´s last blog ..Go- Go- Gadget Girl! =-.

7. Thank you for your helpful answer to my iPad/iTouch app question. I have held off on buying them as I was not sure if I would use them. I do like the Knit Gauge one and the Spin Tools one. I hope your window is repaired soon, I mistakenly thought it would have been completed by now in all this heat!
    .-= Roseann´s last blog ..Alpaca Yarn =-.

8. Maria Neill says:

I cant believe how fast “Victoria” is taking shape! You are almost done! How many hours a day do you knit, and, are you a speed knitter?
    Maria

9. Oh wow. The Fiber Cooperative looks awesome! Thanks for the link.
    .-= Virginia´s last blog ..Whats hot for Fall Apparently =-.

10. Do you eat and sleep while you knit, cause you surely get alot of knitting done! Fabulous work!

Jealous in WI,

Janice

11. You are so bad in a really good way…I had never seen the fiber cooperative and will enjoy looking at it a lot.
    .-= Lynda´s last blog ..I was doing so well =-.

12. I am SO vicariously knitting this through you!

I saw Victoria on Knitty and loved it, but I am not advanced enough yet to feel like I can tackle this pattern so I am thrilled you decided to knit it. It looks beautiful!

13. Dorothy says:

Oh I am so happy that you also use the “old fashion” way to keep track of what you are doing!! I have tried other ways but find the old pencil and paper works the best for me!! Meow to you too Lucy!! I really am liking the Victoria.

14. Oh, I think I could spend some serious money at The Fiber Collective! Thanks (I think!) for the tip!
    .-= janna´s last blog ..But wait – theres more! =-.

15. Kathie Brownlee says:

Thanks for the Fiber Coop liink!

I see Lucy only allows you to have floors and household items that match her fur.

16. Thank you for the info on Fiber Coop. I am amazed at how fast your sweater is coming along.
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Ms Thing =-.

17. Thank you for letting us know about the fiber cooperative. I love to support small independant crafters, and there are great artists on this site. As to your cardigan: it took me until your post before this to note that it is the same as the one I put on my “have to have for winter comfy garment” list… I’m not sure about the bottom ribbing, so I’ll wait for your conclusions. It looks very nice, but I would like to elude the draws-in-transforms-me-to-peach effect.
    Have a nice day
    Daniela from France
    .-= Daniela´s last blog ..Commitment =-.

18. claudia says:

Wow – what a speed knitter you are! Awesome! Just one question – can one use the mats for blocking shawls/scarfs as well? Due to the fact that I have a wooden floor I can’t pin the shawls to the boards and I’m still looking for a solution. Unfortunately the mats are not available in Germany :-(. Thanks for everything – Claudia/Germany

19. I really need to get the mats for blocking, because spreading a blanket out on the hard wood floor doesn’t really allow me to pin something in place (especially lace).
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..the internet is really- really great =-.

20. Not long ago, I made a ladie’s plus-size shrug in mostly moss stitch, which I rather liked once I’d gotten into the rhythm of the thing. Since then, I’ve been trying to be more a “lever” knitter, so I could probably make that shrug a lot faster now! I may have to get those mats, and a better latch for the bedroom — white cats & blocking do not match!! Your sweater is a great color.

21. What a great idea – The Fiber Cooperative! I’ll have to check it out soon, after my brain and the rest of me settle down some. Having a hard time concentrating at the moment, but thanks for the link.

Extra hugs to Lucy.

22. Barbara Petraske says:

thanks for the Fiber Coop link — and the progress on Victoria – and i too use pen and paper for tracking luv luv sticky notes of all sizes cause they can keep pattern rows correct as they move — looking forward to the FO

23. Lucky you to have such a well behaved friend as Lucy, my Mr Cat has taken it into his head to pick each pin out of any blocked items one by one, so everything better dry fast behind a closed and locked door in casa mia. Very inconvenient I might add as I really cannot afford to have one room closed. Give Lucy a treat from me!
    I really like the nice texture of your sweater, can´t wait to see it finished and wish you a nice week end.