Moth Cardigan, designed byAmy Christoffers, knit from Rowan SoftYak DK in the Plain colorway, using U.S. size 3 and 5 needles.

Choices

I have finally received the buttons I ordered for my Victoria cardigan.

I ordered two sets of buttons. Which one do you like better?

Celtic buttons?

celticbutton080310 240x168 Choices

Or little sheep?

sheepbutton080310 240x162 Choices

I think I have already made my choice, but I’m interested to hear what you all think too.

Contrary to what a lot of you seemed to think (judging from the comments) I did not post a picture of a big cinnamon bun in yesterday’s blog post. (I looked at it and looked at it, but I just don’t “get” cinnamon bun from the photo.)

Here is the state of the pi shawl now.

wip080310 240x160 Choices

Like most lace projects, it doesn’t look like much while it is on the needles — just a rumpled rag. But I have faith that when it emerges from the needles, it will be very pretty. As I mentioned, this is a very easy pattern, so a nice choice for a lace beginner. It’s a big project, so if you are an immediate gratification kind of knitter, it may not be for you. But if you don’t mind putting in some time and effort, you will be amply rewarded for it.

Anyhow, that’s all I’ve got. But tune in tomorrow for a giveaway!

If Lucy wasn’t so sleepy, she’d be jumping up and down in excitement.

lucy080310 240x160 Choices

Comments

1. I prefer the Celtic buttons with the cardigan. Please save the others for another project. I like the contrast with the black and silver of the Celtic button.

2. Mary Frances Fagan says:

Celtic. Sheep deserve to be on a white colored sweater.
    I’m new to your website/blog. I enjoy reading it. Thanks for writing!
    Those of us less talented are learning a lot! MF

3. Judy Philbrook says:

I have a question about the yardage required: It says Stash “1848 yards in stash”. Then, it says, “5.7 skeins = 1316.7 yards.” What is the approximate yardage required? I haven’t done enough lace knitting to know what is logical. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Sharen Warren says:

I love the “sheep” button (I must have some), but I think the Celtic style will look great on that elegant sweater. What was the source for the buttons?

5. Although the sheep are cute, the celtic goes much better.
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Cuddly Wuddly =-.

6. Pat Dixon says:

I really don’t like either,frankly I would go with a somewhat more sophicated Celtic button, the sweater is so beautiful…

7. Love the Celtic buttons!

The sheep would look good on a dark color yarn. I think it would make them pop!

8. I like the sheep

9. Sheep!

10. Although I’d usually say celtic, I’m leaning towards the sheep for some reason. They’re sweet without being obnoxious, what a great find!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Pink handspun =-.

11. Definitely the Sheep buttons!

12. baaaaaaaaa – sheeeeppppppppppp!!!!:):) FUN!!!:):)

13. HeatherB says:

I was all ready to say Celtic because I loooove all things Celtic, but the sheep are really cute and I think they would add that little sumpin sumpin to a beautiful sweater.

14. Love them both, but the Celtic ones look best with the sweater.

15. Lee Long says:

Celtic for sure.

16. I would definitely go for the sheep buttons. I don’t know if it’s just the photos, but they look a little less blue than the Celtic buttons, which I think looks a little better. Not to mention sheep are just cute.

17. Mmmmm, Celtic! I think they look great.
    .-= pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog ..knitting a blue streak =-.

18. The sheep, pleese! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Jincey08 says:

I like them both, but the Celtic buttons seem to be a better look. I love the sheep buttons, too! Now you have an excuse to knit another sweater.

20. I LOVE the sheep buttons but the Celtic are right for this particular design.

21. Sheep. Duh.

22. Another vote for Sheep. Very whimsical for a more casual sweater. The Celtic ones are beautiful however require a dressier sweater.

23. Mary Roach says:

Nothing more than …..SHEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. I love the Celtic buttons!!!

25. Gotta go with Celtic…

26. Celtic is classic. The sheep is very unusual, and cute, but to me it would be better suited to a more “lighthearted” garment, something lightweight and springy, perhaps.
    BTW, I love Nancy’s socks. You are amazing.
    Please tell Lucy that Cleocatra says hello.

27. I like the first one best! Also, I bought both your sock books yesterday! Just completed a toe up sock class and loved it.

28. Celtic, but I do live in Dublin, Ohio…so what would you expect ๐Ÿ™‚ Just love your blog!

29. Celtic button, definitely ๐Ÿ™‚
    .-= Angela´s last blog ..I Actually Did It! =-.

30. celtic buttons are classic, but I would go with the sheep. more fun!

31. Bubba (our cat) chooses the sheepies (me too).
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..WWKiP Day =-.

32. Linda from Kansas says:

I like the celtic – when I see the sheep button, that is all I see….
    but save the sheep buttons, they will be perfect for another project.

33. Celtic for Victorian sweater. Sheep for something wooly and tweedy.
    .-= Mary Lee´s last blog ..Booty Call =-.

34. Hard choice – I like them both, but think the Celtic looks better with this sweater.

35. Celtic! A very classy look to a wonderful sweater! Buttons worth waiting for……

36. I like the Celtic buttons best, but I’m part Irish, so take that for what it’s worth. ๐Ÿ™‚

37. I vote for the Celtic knot-ish buttons.

By themselves I like the sheep buttons better, but I think that for such a structured, classic sweater the sheep would look out of context and distracting, too “cute,” while the knot-ish buttons complement the cardigan’s classic lines.

Whoa! Sounds like ad copy! Crazy brain spaz!

38. Both buttons are cute but I like the Celtic best. Whichever one you decided on will be wonderful.

39. I like both, but I think the celtic one’s go better.

Can’t wait to see the Pi Shawl all done! It’s such a lovely color.
    .-= Walden´s last blog ..Video Blogging 8 =-.

40. laura sequeira says:

Celtic–just so elegant…

41. Celtic. Seems to go with the crispness of the stitches in that yarn.

42. Celtic buttons! Save the sheep for something woolly fuzzy.

43. Patricia J. Richardson says:

The sheep button is cute but I vote for the Celtic buttons for your cardigan.

44. I like the first one better.

45. Sorry, Wendy, don’t like the colors with the yarn. But I’d choose the sheep over the Celtic.

46. Love the Celtic and the contrast is great. Sheep are cute, too, but the Celtic looks perfect for that sweater. You do beautiful work, by the way!

47. Celtic ones although the sheep buttons are very cute! =)
    .-= Hepsi´s last blog ..Haminassa neulotaan – Knit meeting in Hamina =-.

48. Boyfriend and I say sheep!!

49. Paula in Iowa says:

Celtic buttons please. The sheep are pretty, but look a bit casual to me.

I’m the one wearing berkies with socks in the dead of Winter, so I know a lot about proper apparel!

Paula in Iowa

50. Celtic buttons

51. Kathie Brownlee says:

Celtic look the best so just send the ugly sheep ones my way….

52. Celtic!

53. Elisa Olvera says:

I like the sheep ones better even though the Celtic probably is more appropriate for a Victoria Cardigan. I tend to lean more toward the unconventional.

54. I love them both. I could see the Celtic on a green sweater. The sheep would be a neat look with the color of this cardigan. So go with your first instinct as you are the one wearing it.

55. Judy Ferrer says:

The Celtic buttons with the cardigan

56. Maria Neill says:

The sheep ones, of course!!!
    Maria

57. Definitely Celtic! They are beautiful!
    .-= josiekitten´s last blog ..KnitNation 2010 – a woolly feast! =-.

58. Theresa in Italy says:

The sheep are cute but the Celtic buttons seem to “fit” the sweater fabric better, at least to me.

59. i think cetic looks best

60. Annalies says:

The celtic buttons!

61. Robin Diebold says:

I think the Celtic buttons for the cardigan.

62. Definitely the Celtic. Seems to be the most popular too.

63. Hi Wendy,

I like the Celtic buttons (well my surname is MacGregor after all !) and I really like the colour of the wool you are using for the Pi Shawl I will look up that pattern as I would like to have a go at lace knitting, it looks so pretty.

Well done re the weight loss mentioned several posts ago, I have had a brief look at the clean eating website but need to investigate further, stay well and look after yourself.

Best wishes,
    Lisax (Uk)

64. I’ve voting for Celtic. The sheep buttons are cute but I picture them on some nubbly oatmeal color cardigan. This cardi is too sleek for those. Also, it wasn’t so much that the whole shawl looked like a cinnamon bun… just the center before you started the lace. VERY tempting pattern though… I think I must finish my WIP first BEFORE I start another project!

65. Both buttons are nice but I like the Celtic buttons. Where did you order them? I need 10 buttons for a cardi I just finished knitting (in the heat – vbg).
    .-= Shirley´s last blog ..Since Last Time =-.

66. The sheep is cute, but the celtic looks like a classy finish to a lovely sweater.

67. I like the Celtic best, for that sweater!! Sharp!!

68. The Celtic of course. cd

69. My vote’s for the little sheep, they’re unique!

70. Definately the celtic buttons. ๐Ÿ™‚ They have panache!
    .-= Lynne´s last blog ..1920โ€™s Beale Sewing Machine =-.

71. I’m a sucker for the celtic look.

72. Sheep! Sheep trump everything but lambs.

73. I like the celtic, but then again, I’m on an Irish kick right now for some reason…
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..New FREE Pattern is up!! =-.

74. I vote for the Celtic buttons!

75. I like the Celtic buttons the best.

76. they are both very nice, but I love the sheep one, it brings a bit of whimsy into life. And sometimes life needs whimsy. I have several objects when I’m blue I like to wear, just because there’s something cheery like a sheepy button that makes it feel like a hug.
    .-= Rebekah´s last blog ..I Need Your Input โ€“ Please Vote =-.

77. Classic sweater, classic buttons. I vote for the celtic. For something more casual I do love the sheep buttons though. How about I send you my address…lol.

Lovely start on the shawl. That Single Malt is a gorgeous colorway. There are a lot of envious knitters watching you work with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

78. love the sheep. Wendy, where did you buy these, they’re both so pretty.
    .-= KathyB´s last blog ..Mole Alert- Dogs-Cats Clash in Battle Fur World Domination =-.

79. I’d go for the Celtic buttons for this sweater and save the sheep buttons for a dark colored yarn. Green, perhaps?

80. Roseanne says:

I think the sheep are cute but the celtic knot seems to go with the moss stitch better.

81. Bonnie H. says:

Sheeeeeep!

82. I gotta vote for the Celtic buttons. I love the Pi shawl, and Wollmeise is so scrumptious! It’s not possible for me to be an instant gratification knitter; I knit too slowly for anything to be done quickly. I don’t know if I could get through a project like that shawl, but I’ve filed the idea away. Maybe when I have fewer than 4 WIPs on the needles!
    .-= Dawn Draper´s last blog ..July Clamshell Progress =-.

83. Buttons are so personal…your pick!
    Off topic: Can you offer up an easy way to start circular shawls. It seems as I have 12 fingers on each hand when I try to get started and then my frustration level rises to the “throwing of the object” level. Any suggestions?
    Thanks and as always, I follow all your knitting projects with awe!
    Andi

84. Jeanette McKinney says:

Definitely the little sheep!

85. HMMMM . . . . I think I like the Celtic buttons . . . .

86. Celtic buttons for this sweater. Keep the sheep for, as several have said, something more along the lines of an oatmeal-y type yarn. Love the color of the yarn for the Pi shawl.

87. I vote for the celtic buttons.
    .-= Kate B´s last blog ..Happiness is =-.

88. Celtic!

The shawl looks warm and cinnamony and wonderful. I can’t wait to see it completed. I want to make one, but I am going to try to live through yours for now! ๐Ÿ™‚
    .-= Christina Bieloh´s last blog ..106 =-.

89. they’re both cute, but i’d go with the sheep. that’s just me. use the ones you think are best!
    .-= Stephanie´s last blog ..knitwit knits again =-.

90. erm, I’m kind of thinking that pewter/silver doesn’t really look right to my eye with that yummy sienna yarn. myself I would have picked something entirely different in ivory or bone or shell even ….

91. I vote for the Celtic ones.

92. I think the sweater is more elegant than fun looking, so I would go with the Celtic buttons. They just make the entire thing look more polished and less hang around the house.
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..10 Tuesday my staycation =-.

93. SHHEEEEEEP!

I didn’t think cinnamon bun, but more like oddly orangish blob

94. I like the sheep buttons. And, the shawl did look like a delicious cinnamon bun when I looked at it on my iphone, however on the computer it did look like a shawl.

95. Celtic buttons, for sure would be my choice
    .-= Nora´s last blog ..Thirsty Thursday v09 โ€“ Beach Club &amp Beach Club Villas- and Yacht Club =-.

96. I love them both, but celtic is the one I would choose. Save the sheep for another day

97. Celtic. I think they fit the classic lines of the sweater best. I think the Sheep would adorable on a more casual sweater.

98. I vote for sheep – the touch of whimsy.

99. I like the sheep buttons best because they are different. I also like the Nancy socks. Thanks for the pattern

100. The sheep!