Corrugated Shawl, designed by Cecelia Campochiaro, knit from Crave Caravan in the Tilly colorway, using U.S. size 4 needles.

Wow

This has nothing to do with anything here, but do yourself a favor and go checkout this archive of color photographs: America in Color from 1939-1943. They are reproductions from color slides and are amazing. Another great collection is American Cities Pre-1950 (though not in color).

Thanks for all the article suggestions you have submitted so far via the comments. Keep ’em coming! You have until noon on Sunday to be entered in the drawing for Knitcircus freebies. (See yesterday’s blog post for details.)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I am knitting along on my pi shawl. The colorway is not as bright as it appears — I had to use the flash because we are in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and it’s really dark right now.

WIP080510 240x160 Wow

Yeah, it doesn’t look like too much progress. It takes a long time to knit one round of 576 stitches!

WIP080510a 240x160 Wow

Lucy sez:

Lucy080510 240x160 Wow

“I don’t like the flash!”

Comments

1. That thunderstorm was AMAZING! I saw a few poor, sad people out walking during the worst of it. Glad I was inside; less glad that I was at work at couldn’t knit.

2. CatBookMom says:

I’ve downloaded the pattern file from the current KnitCircus issue. And I’m looking forward to reading your article on charting with Word. Based on your comments and others elsewhere a couple of years ago, I’ve devised my own standard chart for simple patterns, using Word and the Aire River Font. It’s been so useful! I’m sure your article will really help me to improve my charts. The Fleegle blog recently had information about a commercial program from Intwined (http://www.intwinedstudio.com/), but so far I’ve been able to meet my charting needs using Word; with your advice I may never have to buy a program! ;D

Thanks so much for all that you do for knitters everywhere. And, of course, George and Gracie, my applehead tabby-point Siamese, would send Lucy belly rubs if they could, so I send them on the G’s behalf.

3. Wonderful photos!!! ♥♥♥♥ the 4 girls in pink dresses -Mom definitely knew how to utilize a whole bolt of fabric, wonder if she knit Little Bro’s sweater vest too 🙂
    Life was so simple back then..yet so harsh…

thanks for sharing!

Miss Lucy, so photogenic ♥♥♥
    .-= Sandra´s last blog ..ManyhorsesMane Howdee Plurkies! Hope you are enjoying a more tolerable day- humidity-heat-wise =-.

4. Thanks for the link to the color photos — I sent it on to several of my family who will like them, too.
    .-= kmkat´s last blog ..The storm =-.

5. Isobel Thomas says:

We got the storm too. Pretty awesome. Thanks for the links to the photographs. They are amazing.

6. Anna Housholder says:

The pi shawl is looking good in spite of the weather, color still looks GREAT!

7. Wow is right…that is an incredible collection of pictures. How much things have changed, and continue to change.

8. I’d be interested in an article on the inspiration process – what gets you going on a given project. 🙂

9. Collette says:

That colorway is just gorgeous. I’m pretty much loving it though it’s not my usual style.

10. Those photos are amazing! Thanks for the link. Really enjoyed it. I have a book about Pie Town. Really loved seeing those photos.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Busting my stash AND my butt =-.

11. Pat Whatley says:

I’m good for something free! Thans

12. I think you stole our thunderstorm. We were supposed to get one up here in NYC (and we desperately need the rain), but didn’t.
    .-= Virginia´s last blog ..Its Just Bigger =-.

13. martha simpson says:

I am enjoying watching the pi shawl take form. It like a lovely butterfly emerging.

14. we’ve had cats who have gotten spooked by thunderstorms several hours before we could start to hear the thunder. Sort of an early warning system.. (lol)
    .-= PlainJane´s last blog ..Yet Another Month Gone By =-.

15. I’m working on a Pi shawl also. Those early rounds are so quick and easy…the later ones are still easy but hardly quick!

16. Need2KNow says:

Thanks for passing along the link to view the “Color in America” photos. Amazing. I noticed a kid with a knitted cap in the photo titled “Children gathering potatoes on a large farm”. Maybe you should write an article on how to reconstruct knitted items from the past – even if you only have a photo to work from. Just a thought… if anyone can figure it out (and I know you can!!) then the rest of us could knit it! ha!

17. We had a huge storm yesterday too. I was caught outside for less than 2 blocks and I was completely soaked through!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..sometimes the knitting wins =-.

18. Amazing slides. Glad you survived the t’storm ok. A tree fell on the condo across the street from my sister’s house (Alexandria). Quite a storm!
    .-= MicheleinMaine´s last blog ..Pig Parade Mini Bag =-.

19. jo morgan says:

A couple of ideas for articles. I would love an article on finishing techniques for fibers other than wool. Also, an article on blocking — for some reason I’m intimidated by it — maybe because my space is too small to block some of the larger projects I have done.

20. Vicki Johnson says:

Saw your comment on Twitter and followed the link to your new publication, Socks in a Box. I love the new product and can’t wait until it comes out. I have another socks in box product. I enjoy being able to put a pattern card in my sock bag and go out the door. The product looks just beautiful!! Congratulations!!

21. Celestine says:

WOW is right. Thanks for sharing.

22. Loved the incredible pictures. So very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

23. Thanks for sharing the Plog site of photos. Gotta check out more!