1. Ashburn, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Woolfolk Tynd in colorways 6, 7, and 8 on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Love That Yardage

Yesterday I finished a pair of socks.

Socks101110 240x160 Love That Yardage

These socks are going to be a Christmas gift for a guy who wears a size 14 wide shoe, so yeah, these are really really big socks. I used Opal 6-ply Best of Rainforest in the Demian colorway, and a 2.75mm needle. This yarn comes in 150 gram skeins and is really high yardage — approximately 460 yards of sport/DK weight yarn. You can get a whole lotta sock-knitting out of one skein. I love that I had enough yarn to knit 2 good tall socks and was able to match the striping sequence for the two socks. I had 29 grams left over.

I started another sock from Opal 6-ply — this is also one of the Best of Rainforest colorways: Emil.

SIP101110 160x240 Love That Yardage

A somewhat odd look, I think, but I don’t hate it. This pair of socks will also be very large, but not as large as the Demian socks.

But this project is now delegated to commuter knitting because today I started something else:

WIP101110 240x160 Love That Yardage

In case you can’t tell from the huge amount of progress I’ve made, this is Alice Starmore’s Eala Bhan, knit in Hebridean 2-ply in the Bogbean colorway. So far, so good!

Lucy sez:

Lucy101110 240x160 Love That Yardage

“It’s my duty to inspect Momma’s knitting!”

Comments

1. Can’t wait to see the new sweater. Someone will be happy at Christmas to receive his new socks!

2. Barb Harger says:

Very manly socks! Where do you get these big skeins of Opal…..asks another person with people with size 14 and larger feet? I was wondering if Lucy is letting you have the bit of knitting back? LOL One of our cats, Penelope, who is often very proper and sedate, went crazy yesterday when I was trying to wind a small skein of pink cashmere into a ball. I think maybe something, maybe the smell, got to her! She had to be shooed away so I could roll it without tangling it up. This is from a kit for a lacy baby hat that I bought online some time ago. Found it in a basket of stuff I went through yesterday. Using size 1 needles to do the hat! Not my favorite size knitting for hats, but it is going to be very pretty.

3. Celestine says:

Lucy loved that Green color like her Mama. When is Mama gonna knit her her green mouse from that green yarn she love a while back? Wendy your socks are nice. I have some of that yarn and was wondering which of your patterns you used?

4. Deja vu! The Starmore begins… :-)

5. I love the socks.

6. Wendy I think you made a funny typo. In the “work in progress” box you wrote “gusset hell”. Hmm. I was thinking, why is Wendy knitting up the gusset from hell? Why doesn’t she just pick one of her own patterns that she likes? Oh, silly me, it’s gusset heel, not gusset hell. BTW, I love your gusset heel pattern, so I was also thinking, Wendy’s gusset pattern isn’t hell, it’s fun to knit!

7. Sherry Anderson says:

You always amaze me at how fast you knit socks! I wish!

8. Sharon Moon says:

We love seeing your projects, could you put the pattern link so we could buy the pattern you used for both these socks. Thanks. You amaze us at your speed..

9. I feel your pain … my darling boyfriend who truly appreciates handknit socks is a size 15. If he didn’t appreciate them so much I’d never knit that big of a sock! Ha ha. Thanks for the heads up on that yarn, though — always looking for ones with extra yardage to use for him!
    .-= Mandi´s last blog ..Sick =-.

10. Love Lucy inspecting your knitting. That is fantastic. My knitting is also subjected to very thorough feline inspection and testing…
    .-= Virginia´s last blog ..Happy 259th Post! and a discussion of knitting technique =-.

11. Shari Masson says:

Hi Wendy – I follow your blog adventures everyday and have all your books. I use your methods only now for socks. You amaze me with the amount of projects you complete so quickly. Do you ever sleep??? I must be the worlds slowest knitter.

Anyway, I adore your work and Lucy is puurrfect! Have 3 of my own and 2 of them feel the need to help me spin and knit. Looking forward to seeing your newest project.

Shari M in Canada

12. Marianne Mileham says:

I, too, am amazed at how fast you complete projects. I am gathering my courage to begin my first pair of socks from your first book. I have a question: The socks that you are working on now seem to be on 2 circular needles, but when Teddy has modelled sock for you the socks are on double points. Do you switch back and forth, or does it depend on the pattern?

13. susan murphy says:

I, too, am a new sock knitter and have completed 3 pairs using your toe up heel flap pattern. I am wondering how you did the top of the big socks??? They suddenly become so narrow…mine don’t look like that. :) Thank you!

14. Luv the socks!! Just received my Aran Knitting book from Knit Picks.com. They had a 40% off book sale and I had to take advantage of it. Your Socks book was included, but I already had a copy of it. Are you coming to the MDS&WF in 2011? I will make sure I bring my book for your autograph!!!

15. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can’t wait to see Eala Bhan knit by you. I will be just lovely!

16. I am so excited to see how the sweater turns out :D thanks for a great blog, I’ve been a closet reader for months!

17. Wow. You have been super productive this weekend! I’m plugging away at a project with about 25 rounds a day and wishing I had found time for more!
    .-= Seanna Lea´s last blog ..10 Tuesday the traveler =-.

18. NICE! I love the challenge of the Stripe :)

19. Of all the books and patterns that come on the market there are few that I am awaiting as much as this one! Its such a versatile subject and Nicky is always so innovative with her ideas.

Yes, Lucy, we can make you something out of all thise blocks. Perhaps to match your fur and eyes.

Also, looked at your “Toes Up” book at the bookstore tonight and it is on my “must have” list too.

20. I have a son with “BIG” feet. He wears a size 15 shoe and is only 12. I could use some help finding sock patterns for feet that big. Can you point me in the right direction please??

21. I like the cabling on the sweater, and wonder if the yarn is very soft. I LIKE the color and the patterning of the socks. I rochet also and the book looks like it woud be a fun additin to my library.

22. Susan Van Hout says:

I would love the copy of Crochet Inspiration. I have knit my first pair of socks from your book, Toe-Up Socks for Every Body. My husband was the happy recipient.
    I wonder….are all knitters cat lovers? I have 2, Snickers and Simon.
    Susan Van Hout

23. I would love to win the Crochet Inspiration book. It looks wonderful!

24. I’m just starting to Crochet and don’t have a lot of books on the subject yet. Would love this one!