1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

We Interrupt This Blog

This blog will go on a brief hiatus necessitated by the ice storm we had a couple of days ago. To summarize, like a big ol’ dork I slipped on the ice, fell, messed up my left (and of course dominant) hand, and am unable to knit for a while. Prognosis and recovery to be determined after I visit an orthopaedic hand specialist on Monday. (Don’t worry, Mom — I’m fine otherwise.)

In the meantime, I have been exhorted to not move my hand, so I will not be responding to email requests for knitting help. Just so you know — I’m not ignoring you on purpose.

Lucy plans to have what she thinks is a well-deserved rest during this hiatus.

Lucy012011 240x160 We Interrupt This Blog

Knit on.

Comments

1. I hope you recover quickly and that it’s an easy fix.
    biomaj5´s last blog post ..I have a cowl and Im headed to my happy place I dare you to try to stop me

2. Wendy, that is a huge bummer. I’ve been there, and its a bitch. Heal up quick!

3. Once you are casted or whater they do to your hand, yo will find some way to knit. Us left-handed people have brains that figure out those handicaps. Soft and gentle hugs.

4. Oh, no! I’m so sorry and hope the doc takes great care of you.
    Maggi´s last blog post ..New Years Ruffle

5. Damn that ice!
    Alice in Richmond´s last blog post ..11711 Hawk vs Squirrel

6. I’m so sorry to hear that your hand is injured. I love you and miss you. Get as much rest as you can.
    Muriel´s last blog post ..First FO for 2011

7. Wow! I hope you recover quickly. Darned ice!!
    Kay´s last blog post ..Labor Day

8. Best wishs for a quick and complete recovery. I am sure Lucy will take good care of you.

9. I agree with Alice, “Damn that ice”. Hope you are better soon. xoxo
    Stacy Little´s last blog post ..First FO for 2011

10. Goodness yes, keep that hand quiet for a little bit – best to do what the Dr. says…..and be careful – I hear you might have a little more weather on the way!
    Cindy Kirchner´s last blog post ..Room Reclaimed

11. Please take care of yourself! Now’s the time for really really bad (good) movies and/or TV – lots of tea, hot chocolate and/or beer, wine or Jack Daniels, sweats and good blankets! Seriously take care!

12. Oh, dear, may it be minor! Feel better soon. No walking on your hands!
    ccr in MA´s last blog post ..Of Socks- Knitting- and Travel Weather Worries

13. Sending you magical hand healing vibes……..

14. I’m so sorry, Wendy. *hugs* Get better soon, sweetie.
    Liz R´s last blog post ..Edward M Kennedy 1932-2009

15. Get better soon!

16. Please listen to the doctors and don’t knit. It’s better to have a short hiatus than a long term absence. Prayers for your speedy recovery and hugs to you and Lucy.

17. Heal!

We will miss you.

18. Oh, that really truly stinks. Here’s hoping it’s not too serious.

19. Ouch! Hope it’s nothing serious and heals quickly. Lucy- I guess pushing the vacuum is up to you this week.

20. Sherri A. says:

Sorry to hear you are down and out..real bummer! Rest and stay warm, more snow coming.

21. …my only question is…do you still have to go to work???? LOL…get healed !
    KNIT ON !!

22. susan murphy says:

Happy positive thoughts coming your way…..

23. Of all things to injure, it had to be your dominant hand. Ouch. I hope your back didn’t get hurt in the fall. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

24. Sorry to hear you are facing a forced knitting hiatus. Ice is no fun! I had just started a job (about 6 years ago) that needed me to be on my feet all day. We had snow and ICE just before Christmas and I fell and broke my ankle. I couldn’t work for 8 weeks! Hope you are not in the same spot. Now, I DON’T DO ICE!!

Take care of yourself and take a lesson from Lucy.

25. I had a similar experience earlier this year – I slipped on the ice and tore my left hamstring. (At least I could still knit – it was only a leg.) My friend bought me a set of Yaktrax

and they have saved me from at least ten more falls. They really help when walking on the ice.

Recover quickly!!
    Diana´s last blog post ..South America Day 15- Chocolate Extravaganza

26. Sending healing vibes your way! Fricken ice!!!

27. Just sending good wishes for speedy recovery!

28. oh dear, my neighbor fell the other day too on the ice and broke her leg — not that I’d wish that on you, but at least you could have stayed home and knit. Hope your hand heals quickly and in the meantime, perhaps you can catch up on all your reading. If you want to keep up with the computer try Dragon Speech — you can talk and it will do the typing for you!
    Wool Free and Lovin’ Knit´s last blog post ..Bits and Pieces

29. So sorry to hear you’ll be out of knitting commission for a while. Get well soon.
    Kristen´s last blog post ..Long weekend progress

30. That’s just terrible. Hope you feel better soon.

31. Feel better soon!

32. ouch! can you at least play angry birds with your right hand?
    btw – we don’t have snow here in california, would you consider a warmer climate?

take care and hopefully you’ll be good as new soon!

33. get well soon and you’ll be back to knitting in no time!

34. I am so sorry for this injury. I pray that you will recover quickly.

35. My heart goes out to you, and I hope you recover very soon. A world without a knitting Wendy … to much to comprehend.

Warm wishes for speedy healing,
    firefly
    firefly´s last blog post ..Purple Heart – A Treasury at Etsy

36. Janice in GA says:

Yikes! Be well and heal quickly!

37. Take good care! As hard as it is not to use your hand…resist the temptation! We’ll be here when you return! <3

38. {{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} to you! Hope you make a speedy recovery!

39. I hope you’re not in too much pain! And I’m sure that you’ll figure out a way to knit a little . . .
    Get well soon!

40. Lauren Kowalczewski says:

Wendy,
    I’m so sorry to hear this! Cassie, Zoe and I wish you a speedy recovery. Just delegate your two pawed duties to Lucy, she’ll be able to finish them in double time.

41. I am so sorry to hear you had a tumble! You can’t keep a good woman down for long! Get well! xoxo

42. Don’t worry about the blog! We’ll miss you but we want you to heal and be healthy! Take care – I’m sure Lucy will help! LOL!

43. Get better fast and may you find something to entertain you!

44. Sharon Amara says:

Well, Wendy, at least you can catch up on your reading…

Heal fast!

45. Lisa Downing says:

Wendy, I’m so sorry that you broke your hand. I hope it’s not too bad and that you have a quick recovery. I broke my arm a few years ago, klutzy fall, also left (dominant) hand. I had to teach myself to crochet since I was unable to knit or make jewelry, and you can only read so much. Take care. LisaD in upstate NY

46. Hope your hand heals quickly – try mega-doses (2400 mg) of calcium. It helped when I broke my toe a couple years ago. {{{HUGS}}}
    PlainJane´s last blog post ..What Ive Been Up To This Week

47. Let yourself heal. Don’t go back to knitting too soon (says the woman who’s currently in a boot cast because she went back to the gym too soon . . .) Get well soon!

48. Sherry Coleman says:

Get better soon!

49. Linda F Piotrowski says:

I’m sorry to learn about your fall and your injury. Take extra good care of yourself. Let Lucy do all of the hard work while you sit back and heal.
    Happy Healing!
    Linda

50. That’s terrible! I hope you heal fast. Keep the ice on it (keep the swelling down) and I hope you feel better soon.

51. Get better soon!

52. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Wendy! What a nightmare. I’ll be praying for your speedy recovery and will miss you AND Lucy. She looks soooooooo like my cat, Savannah, who is a Birman. P.S. I liked your hair clip you posted recently!

53. Tall Kate says:

So sorry! Hope you heal quickly.

54. Barb Harger says:

Ouch! So sorry to hear this! Take it easy, praying for a speedy recovery!

55. Speedy recovery Wendy, I’ll miss you. I am sure Lucy will accept right handed scratchings…

56. Oh no!!! *sends happy healing thoughts*

57. Hope your hand heels up quickly so you can back to your knitting! And, you know, other important things, too. :)
    Lisa B.´s last blog post ..Is it too soon to play catch up

58. Ouch! Take your time and heal well. Just hanging around with Lucy should be very therapeutic.
    pdxknitterati/MicheleLB´s last blog post ..30 seconds of fame- and a book

59. best wishes for a speedy recovery!

60. Really sorry Wendy. Hope it’s a quick heal.
    CatMyers´s last blog post ..A cowl for a friend

61. so sorry! I broke my wrist the same way about 5 years ago..what a giant pia!

Hope you feel better soon and everything goes well at the docs.

Lucy says, “Momma, I can sit on your lap and you can pet me with your left hand.:

62. That stinks! I hate this never-ending winter. Get well soon.

63. ONOS! I hope you know how to knit with your feet!!!!

All kidding aside, get better fast!!!

Miss Lucy will make it all better ♥♥♥
    Sandra´s last blog post ..FREE CROCHET PATTERN – Xian Knit Kimono Jacket

64. Hope the knitting gods smile on you soon and you are on the road to recovery. Rest, relax, read and think about all the knitting patterns floating in your head to share with us.

65. Here’s to a speedy recovery!
    LittleWit´s last blog post ..Sticks N Stitches 2011 – Columbus Blue Jackets

66. Susan Shelly says:

Wow! Take care of yourself! A slip like that could happen to anyone. You are not a dork! I will miss the blog and the updates from you and Lucy:o(( Hope all is well soon!

67. Wendy … bummer! Here my kids are praying for a major snowstorm in Locust Grove (just west of F’burg) and all we get is some itty bitty ice that wreaks havoc on all our friends and colleagues! SORRY!

Hope you’re up and at ‘em soon.
    Mary G´s last blog post ..Blue Ridge Sunset- Simple elegance thats practical too

68. Well you may not be able to knit or type, but you can read all of our get well soon wishes. Follow doctors orders so we can have you back soon. Best wishes. Lucy, take care of her.

69. Lisa from w mass says:

So sorry! May I recommend Stabil-Icers (even Stabil-Icers Lite, which are more readily available)? We’ve had black ice here the past day or two … now with more snow on the way to hide it so it’s even more slippery…. Is it spring yet?

70. Sorry to hear this. I hope you didn’t hurt yourself too badly and that all is well soon.
    Beverly´s last blog post ..Something Special

71. Oh, no! That’s my nightmare injury – one that prevents me from knitting! (Personally, I’m a repetitive ankle-injurer, myself.) I hope it turns out to be nothing too serious, and you’re able to knit again soon. In the meantime, spend a lot of quality time with Lucy…
    janna´s last blog post ..We have a winner!

72. Ouch, does Lucy know how to prep the crock pot with clean food so you will survive? Take care!
    turtle´s last blog post ..Mele Kalikimaka &amp a knitters poem for you

73. Ouch! Get well soon.

74. Ouch! Take care of that hand; I wish you a speedy recovery!

75. Oh, Wendy :( I won’t get into details here, but did something similar and I sincerely hope you don’t have the same results I did!

I will be sending all the healing thoughts I can spare, along with some prayers because they can’t hurt :) HANG IN THERE! You must truly be going crazy not being able to knit, you poor thing! Hopefully they have you on some medication that makes you want to sleep, so it’s not so painful KNITTING wise….I would imagine that’s even more annoying for you than the pain from the injury!! HUGE HUGS for you!!!! FEEL BETTER!

76. CatBookMom says:

Be gentle and patient with yourself as you wait for your hand to recover. We’ll be thinking about you and hoping for a quick recovery. At least you still have one hand to pet Lucy!

77. Oh no!! I hope it’s nothing serious & you’re back on your needles soon! That’s why I live in Arizona! I’ll wait patiently for your return.

78. Ooh, I’m so sorry, I hope your hand recovers quickly.

79. All the best wishes for a quick recovery!
    Cablegal´s last blog post ..Progress

80. So very sorry to hear this! As if winter itself isn’t bad enough, now a hiatus from knitting! Hope all goes well with the doctor visit and a simple solution is found. Take care.

81. Get well soon!

82. Hi Wendy,

Sorry to hear of your accident, hope it is not too serious. Get well soon and take extra good care of yourself.

Best wishes,
    Lisa:)

83. Oh no, I am very sorry you fell and injured your hand! Hope it is not too serious and your recovery will be short. Take care!
    Shirley´s last blog post ..Starting Over in 2011

84. Bummer! Get better soon!

85. Elizabeth says:

Oh no! I truly hope it doesn’t keep you from the needles for too long.

86. Oh no! Rotten ice. :-( I hope you’re better soon and not in too much pain. You know the best thing in cases like this is to “apply kitties”. It’s well known that their purrs have healing powers. :-)

87. Hope everything turns out ok. Sucks that you can’t knit. Get better soon.

88. The ice, it is deadly! I hope that you’ve not caused serious injury and that your recovery is easy and quick! Tell Lucy to make sure she enjoys the extra pettings that no knitting make possible!
    Jenn C.´s last blog post ..The knitting blahs

89. Feel better. cd

90. Wishing you a quick and full recovery!
    Pirate´s last blog post ..In Which the Pirate Casts Hexes

91. Oh, Wendy that is such a bummer! I’m so sorry. I hope you can at least catch up on reading or movies while you wait to see the doc. Falling on my hands/wrists is my biggest fear. Warm wishes for a speedy recovery!
    MicheleinMaine´s last blog post ..Custom Listing for wickedcoolharris

92. Oh, no! I’m sorry that happened. Hope you will recover quickly!

93. Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are better for Soxperience in April. I would be a lost if I were unable to knit or crochet after work.
    Rusty Boyd´s last blog post ..Big Box Store Help

94. technikat says:

Ouch! Get better soon, Wendy.

95. I’ve got my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Ice might be the most dangerous thing about winter. One of my friends last year broke his ankle (I’m trying not to use the word shattered) slipping on black ice near his car.
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..A picture perfect day

96. Hope you heal well and quickly. Ice is treacherous. I slipped a few years ago, broke my ankle badly and was laid up for 6 weeks.

97. Ouch! Hope you’re on the mend soon. Good thing you’ve got a great nurse there.

98. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Can Lucy make you a cup of tea for your good hand?
    Cathy E´s last blog post ..New YearNew ProjectsNew Goals

99. That’s terrible! I did something similar last February – slipped on ice, fell, fractured my left shoulder – also my dominant arm – and right wrist. I was a walking disaster for a good 4 weeks. :) May you have a fast recovery and no lingering problems. If they have you do physical therapy or specific exercises, do it! It’s a pain, but worth it.
    Tracy´s last blog post ..Winter Wonderland

100. I am so sorry! Heal up quickly! We’ll miss you!