1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

We Interrupt This Blog

This blog will go on a brief hiatus necessitated by the ice storm we had a couple of days ago. To summarize, like a big ol’ dork I slipped on the ice, fell, messed up my left (and of course dominant) hand, and am unable to knit for a while. Prognosis and recovery to be determined after I visit an orthopaedic hand specialist on Monday. (Don’t worry, Mom — I’m fine otherwise.)

In the meantime, I have been exhorted to not move my hand, so I will not be responding to email requests for knitting help. Just so you know — I’m not ignoring you on purpose.

Lucy plans to have what she thinks is a well-deserved rest during this hiatus.

Lucy012011 240x160 We Interrupt This Blog

Knit on.

Comments

1. Oh no! Why couldn’t you have just twisted your ankle or something? Nothing serious, just something that would have you planted on the couch for a few days with nothing to do but knit. I hope it’s not injured too badly and that it heals quickly. Good thing you can pet Lucy with either hand. :-)
    Connie B. in OH´s last blog post ..The thrill of victory

2. I’m sorry to hear that you are out of commission. Take care.
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Good grief! I’m really sorry to hear about your hand injury. I injured (sort of jammed/broke) a finger on each hand (separate times), and saw a hand surgeon and hand physical therapist (a lot). The treatment took a while, but definitely worked. Best of luck for a swift recovery!

(PS – I sure hope you can open Lucy’s cans with your right hand. Otherwise, things might get a little tense around your house, eh?)

4. sending warm thoughts for a fast recovery.

5. Get well soon!
    Amanda M´s last blog post ..Happy 2011!

6. Owwwww. that vacuums- Hope it isn’t serious. keep the arm elevated on a pillow and take some tylenol or wine.

7. Oh Wendy! The first worry I had when I read you slipped and fell was that you had hurt your back! Having hurt your hand, and NOT BEING ABLE TO KNIT – the world may just come to stop! I am sure that Lucy is appreciative that you can still pet with the other hand though! Good luck with the doc on Monday. Hugs from me, and snuggles and purrs from Murphy!

8. Bummer! I am sending good wishes — you’ll need to find another addiction to pass the time and I have no recommendations other than petty Lucy, watching TV and reading.

9. I hope you heal quickly. I broke my arm from slipping on the ice four weeks ago. For two weeks I had a full arm cast and could not knit at all. It just about drove me crazy. Then the doctor shortened the cast to below my elbow and I’ve been knitting slowly and awkwardly ever since. It has made me appreciate knitting all the more. Can’t wait to get the cast off and knit like normal. I hope your healing time is shorter! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

10. So sorry to hear about you mishap. Hoping it is not a major injury. Hugs and prayers going out to you for a speedy recovery.
    Judy´s last blog post ..Well- I guess it is winter

11. jo morgan says:

Wendy, we will miss you! Please take good care of yourself and get well soon!

12. elaine larsen` says:

Take care!

13. Wendy in Cambridge says:

Oh, Wendy, I’m so sorry. Hope you recover quickly and are back to knitting soon.

I know Nurse Lucy will take excellent care of her Momma!

14. Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you heal quickly and get back to knitting.

15. Beverly (db81971) says:

OH no, I hope you feel better soon. Nothing is worse than not being able to do your favorite things. At least your brain still works and you can design some patterns and write your ideas ( hopefully you will be able to read them if you have to write with your non-dominate hand!) Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    XOXO

16. So sorry Wendy! I hope you feel better super fast. Give that hand time to heal, and we’ll be here when you get back. :D XO
    Daniele´s last blog post ..Whimsical Lace!!

17. Ohh..stupid ice! I hate that it attacked you in such an unprovoked manner. I wish you a speedy and as pain-free as possible recovery. :hugs and healing thoughs:

18. anne marie in philly says:

oh man! what an unlucky break (see what I did there)! hopefully it’s just strained.

make sure lucy and the KOARC take good care of you! milk it for all it’s worth!

19. Hope it’s all very minor. I had a small cyst removed from my little pinky and what a Pain in the arse it turned out to be. Hope this turns out to be a very minor no-big-deal thing for you. Take care of yourself!

20. Bummer! My son slipped on ice in December and broke his wrist. I fell on ice 2 weeks ago and broke my ankle. I hope that you recover quickly and don’t need surgery.
    Laura´s last blog post ..Today’s Picture

21. I hope you are declared healthy quickly. Not being able to knit is so frustrating. We will be missing you. I hope you life isn’t to disrupted.

22. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! (I must agree…ice cleats are the best!)

23. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! A purring kitty always makes me feel better and I’m sure that Lucy does the same for you. She looks like she’s resting up so that she can take proper care of you!

24. Hope the hand is so much better on Monday that the ortho doc just laughs and sends you on your way!
    kmkat´s last blog post ..Ten on Tuesday- the gaming edition

25. Oh, Wendy, I’m hate to hear that!! I certainly hope your recommended therapy is knitting!! : ) Feel better!! Prayers coming your way!!
    Shama D´s last blog post ..Im Back

26. Oh Wendy- I did the same thing in the same ice storm (I’m up in Maryland-not far from you.) My front steps did not look icy. I was wrong. I am bruised and sore, but I can still knit.
    I hope you heal quickly. I’m sure Lucy will be happy to have your undivided attention.

27. I hope the healing is underway. I live in fear of a hand injury. I know a lot of us will be sending you good wishes!

28. All the best Wendy. Hopefully the rest will still allow you to cuddle with Lucy.

29. Bummer. Get well soon.

30. Damn Wendy! I hope it isn’t too serious! It is icy here too. I know you will follow Dr’s orders.

31. I’m so sorry but glad you weren’t injured more seriously.
    Ida´s last blog post ..And the Word Is- Knitting

32. So, so sorry to read of your injury! Will be thinking of you and hope for good news for a short recovery time.

33. I hope it’s nothing serious and that your hand will heal fast and you’ll be like new in no time.

34. Take care & hope all is well…Friend fell on ice & broke her hip, out for 6-7 weeks. In rehab now…take this time to recup & relax..know it is hard to do that!!

35. Dear Wendy~~

Hope you are up to snuff soon!!
    <3 Tayloe

36. So sorry you had an accident! Here’s hoping that you’re up and knitting quickly. We will miss you until then!

37. Wendy, many condolences. Wrist pain is so bad – it’s when you realize how much you use your hands, for everything. With other pains, we have our knitting to distract and console us. Get well soon.

38. Sorry to hear about the injury, hopefully you heal well and quickly. Rest that hand as much as you need, and don’t push it until it’s ready.

39. Carol Wymer says:

Good luck with the orthopod on Monday and heal fast.
    Hugs,
    Carol
    AKA knittinnurse

40. um – been there, done that – do what the doc says, and keep your hand totally stable – ask me how I know …

all good thoughts from the frozen Apple,

mhv

41. Checking to say hi…good day for you to watch football with Lucy on your lap. Hoping all goes well at the docs tomorrow.

Want to let you know we all miss you but know you need to take care of yourself…big hugs!!!

42. Eileen Bunn says:

I’ll miss you . Take care!

43. Lynne Davidson says:

Get well soon — we will miss you

44. Horrible! Sending healing mojo!

45. I’ve been there too only fell on my ceramic tile at home, fractured left and right wrist two years apart. Definitely not fun. I spent a lot of time on Ravelry and reading those couple of months that I couldn’t knit. Hope you aren’t of commission for too long.

46. Dear Wendy, I wish you a very speed recovery! Hope you can restart knitting soon, forced rest can be hard :-( Hugs!

47. Hope that you heal fast!

48. newjerseylaura says:

Oh – that is the worst punishment for a knitter! Hope all is well sooner rather than later, and you’re back on your fingers soon.

49. Best wishes for prompt recovery.
    Laritza´s last blog post ..Waulking

50. #(*& #^%*( weather!! So sorry to hear about your injury. I know Lucy will be closely supervising your recuperation, so you’re in good paws. Get well soon!

51. Wendy – sorry to hear about your hand. Hope you have a quick recovery. Black ice is really nasty stuff.

Feel better soon.
    Jayne

52. Bummer Wendy…. hope your arm heals quick
    Catch up on those Dr Who episodes!!!
    Rae Gommel´s last blog post ..oooooo Pretty!!!

53. Get better. Strongly commend to you a wonderful invention called YakTrax. Can give you traction and sure footing on ice. A real lifesaver after the recent snow in Atlanta which had a nice coat of ice on top.

54. I hope your injury isn’t serious and heals rapidly. This winter has been wild!

55. Get well soon Wendy. Thinking of you, sending healing your way.

56. Goodness, I hope it’s not too seriously injured. Here’s hoping you’ll heal well & as quickly as possible. I’ll second the suggestion about physical therapy!
    Ann Devine´s last blog post ..Better today

57. Linda Fleming says:

I am sorry to hear about your hand. It stinks!! I broke my ankle 10 days ago so I can relate. I can still knit, but no spinning or weaving:(

58. Denise in Kent, WA says:

Sorry to hear about your injury – wishing you a speedy recovery!

59. Oh, I feel for you. I did that back on Jan 13, 2002–slipped on black ice–broke an ankle–off work 10 months & stuck in a wheelchair for 6 months–all with no knitting on hand. Am sending you lots of good thought & well wishes for a quick recovery. Your books are the ones that got me into sock knitting & I’ve bought every book–sometimes more than once–as I’ve lost a the first one a couple of times.

60. Oh, yikes! I just hate, hate, hate to fall (like anyone likes it – grin). Hope you’re knitting and doing all the other things you do with your hands again soon!

61. Good wishes for a speedy recovery. Miss you.

62. Oh I do hope you only got good news today. I hate ice!! When I lived in Alaska I swear I could not keep my feet under me. I would step on ice and down I went……in like nano second. It happens so fast. I hope you are doing well and will make a quick recovery!!

63. Yikes, I just read this and you still aren’t posting. Not good news. Sending good energy your way.

64. Hope you get back to knitting soon but enjoy the time off too:~)

65. Hope you are better really soon! In the meantime, get some good snuggle time with Lucy. (Though I bet she is a mite concerned as to how her can of tuna is going to get opened….)

66. Oh, my, I’m so sorry to hear that. We will miss your posts while you recupe, but be sure you let it heal well. You can knit vicariously through us and we’ll wish you some tea, shortbread cookies and the remote. :-) Get well soon.

67. Oh, no. I hope you heal quickly! Lucy, take good care of your mom!

68. Hi Wendy! I know you probably can’t respond to any of us because of your hand, but I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been thinking of you and praying for you. I hope the appointment with the Ortho on Monday went well and that you will be back up and running with both hands soon! Hugs from me, and snuggles and purrs from Murphy!

69. Hurting my hands is one of my biggest fears, my other one is hurting my eyes, because if any of those occur I won’t be able to knit, and I love it so much…

So I can only imagine what you are going through…

I am so sorry! Hang in there… I will keep you in my prayers…

70. Thanks for blogging anyway! I was in Fiberspace today and what a treat. Thanks for sharing. Be well