1. Mighty Mini, designed by Rachel Henry, knit from Socks That Rock Worthy in the "Tanzanite" and "The Green That Sings" colorways on a 3.0 mm needle.

Labels

Do you all put labels in the knits you make for other people?

I recently got a set of custom labels from Mountain Street Arts that are very cute.

Labels021311 240x132 Labels

You can get “knitted By’ and “crocheted by” (and I see one style for rug hooking too!) and care labels as well. The personalized ones are available in a number of different cute styles. I love the curly sheepies!

They are printed on cotton twill and the name labels are about 2″ inches long. They are very reasonably priced and shipping is very low. What’s not to love?

Here’s something else I got in the mail recently.

Yarn021311 237x240 Labels

That’s some lovely Hebridean 2-ply I purchased from Virtualyarns. I got this for a specific purpose. Back in early December, Kate Davies released a new hat pattern, Caller Herrin (Ravelry link). I loved it and bought it immediately and because I loved the colors she used, ordered the exact same yarn from Virtualyarns. This was December 13. The yarn was shipped out immediately — and got stalled in the big shipping delay brouhaha brought on by extreme weather in Northern Europe.

I finally got my yarn order in late January — after I broke my hand. Sad story, huh? icon wink Labels

The pattern directs you to knit a facing for the ribbing out of a soft yarn. I went on etsy and looked around, and decided on some reclaimed/recycled cashmere from jolie parisienne.

Cashmere021311 240x233 Labels

I think it looks great with the Hebridean 2-ply, and even if it didn’t, it’s on the inside of the hat so I’m the only who will know it is there.

Yarns021311 240x160 Labels

I’m thinking about casting this on to see if I can manage knitting it. I do have my poor twisty aran languishing, waiting to be knit on, but I find that knitting twisted stitches hurts. I’m starting to manage plain knitting okay, and knit a pair of “test” socks. See?

Socks021311 240x160 Labels

These are sportweight socks, knit in Opal 6-ply in one of the Best of Rainforest colorways. I made then for the KOARC for a Valentine’s gift. I just used my generic toe-up gusset heel sock. I am very pleased at how well I matched the striping! I still have extremely limited range of motion in my left hand and doing some plain knitting is good therapy for it (so said the doctor).

Lucy sez:

Lucy021311 240x160 Labels

“Will you be my Valentine?”

Comments

1. Knitter down, but not out! Glad you are making the come-back.

2. Wow, Wendy – your Heb2ply took a couple of weeks longer to get across the pond than mine did – I ordered just about the same time that you did, and it arrived 1/28/11 (and I promptly cast on and made the hat – http://www.ravelry.com/projects/manhattanmarg/caller-herrin

it’s a fun knit, and, if your hand were totally functional, it would probably take you a day or two – just take it slowly, and I’m sure that you’ll make a beautiful hat!

happy that you’re getting some function back – time is all it really takes …
    margaret´s last blog post ..Instant Gratification- or Not

3. ps – you’ll definitely be able to get two hats out of what you bought ;o)
    margaret´s last blog post ..Instant Gratification- or Not

4. need. more. coffee. I see that our yarn arrived at exactly the same time – forgive me for making such an egregious error.
    margaret´s last blog post ..Instant Gratification- or Not

5. happy to see that you are on the mend :-)
    Karen´s last blog post ..Same Knitting- Different Day

6. I’m glad you’re able to knit a little bit!

7. I’m glad you’re able to knit again. And I love KORAC’s socks. Absolutely beautiful.

8. Wendy in Indy says:

My Sadie Belle and L.B. (Little Bit) will be pleased as punch to be Lucys’ Valentines.

9. Wonderful you are starting to knit again…and that the doc sez it’s ok…usually doesn’t happen that way….

10. So glad your hand is healing. Lucy — I will be your Valentine anytime…will you be mine?
    Kim B.´s last blog post ..Part Two – Ravelry Valentine Exchange

11. Marsha in CO says:

I’m so glad you’re able to do some knitting again, and glad your hand is getting better. Those yarns are all so lovely-looking forward to seeing the hat after hand is healed.

12. Love the socks- great colorway! Glad to hear you’re on the mend.

Yes, Lucy, Pepper and I will be your valentines. Will you be ours?

13. Test socks? Only Wendy would knit an entire pair of socks as a ‘test’ to see if it hurt her hand.

There is some sense, however, in knitting socks for large feet in sportweight.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all!

14. Those labels are bloody cute. I’m going to check out their site. Thanks so much for the info.
    brandi´s last blog post ..My Day at School

15. Glad you are able to knit again! Isn’t it wonderful that basic knitting is considered good therapy?!?!
    Cathy E´s last blog post ..Back in Business!!!

16. Love your test socks and so glad to hear you are on the mend — and Lucy can be my valentine anytime – looking beautiful as always

17. Susan Voegtly "CintiSue" says:

Beautiful socks and Beautiful Kitty!!! Glad to see your coming back!

18. Thank you for the label info – I knew someone had to be making things like this. KOARC’s socks are great; I’m very impressed by your skills while on the mend & your matching on the socks. I always find it a challenge to match and sometimes don’t care for myself, but others seem to appreciate it. So glad your doctor has the good sense to understand the physical therapy aspect of knitting. One of my friends was critically injured in a car accident and knitting was part of her assigned PT in her recovery. She’s fine now – and still is an avid knitter, especially after I introduced her to Addi needles… Blessings on your healing!

19. I purchased labels several years ago but I must admit that a lot of times I forget to sew them in. I’m trying very hard to do better.

Glad that your are healing well and that knitting is good therapy.
    Beverly´s last blog post ..Take a Chill Pill or Time Out Anyone

20. Yay for being able to do a little knitting and and even bigger yay for it being doctor-approved! Plus, I’m sure KOARC would miss not getting socks.

Thanks for the info about a source for labels – I’ve thought about the need for labels, but haven’t bothered to do anything about it.
    janna´s last blog post ..Ripley

21. Linda F Piotrowski says:

My kitty, Bonner, said that she will definitely be Lucy’s Valentine.

Your socks are gorgeous. Happy Healing! It sounds as if it is coming along. I’m happy for you. Just don’t overdo so you don’t hurt something again.

22. Yes I use labels. I have several different styles of personalized crochet and knit labels.
    Bev Love´s last blog post ..1 of 11 in 2011

23. Love the socks and glad you are on the mend!!

24. Glad to hear you can do at least basic knitting. There’s something to be said for stockinette stitch. No I’ve never used labels but I like the ones with care instructions. Thanks for the link!

25. socks are beautiful!
    happy valentine’s day to Lucy and you.
    please continue to get better! we miss seeing your lovely knitting.
    and thanks for the label link. I’ve looked for years for care instructions. i’m always forgetting to include the label from the hank of yarn. I placed an order and they couldn’t have been more pleasant and responsive, i think they said the order will ship tomorrow (?!).

26. anne marie in philly says:

meredith and steven say: “meow cousin lucy, we will be your valentine!”

the KOARC is a lucky man (hope he knows that).

glad to hear you are on the mend!

27. Fred would love to be Lucy’s Valentine, and asks that she be his!! Congrats on the mending and the ok for PT.

28. Glad you’re knitting in more ways than one!

That recycled yarn shop on etsy is awesome! I just ordered a skein. :)

29. The labels are great! I’d never seen the care labels. But even better is the fact that you are beginning to be able to knit again. I hope the hand is getting better by the day. Jo

30. So glad to know that you are on the mend! Having walked in your shoes, I can understand your being anxious to get knitting again. Oh the joy of it!

31. Awesome on knitting again! The socks look great.
    Laura´s last blog post ..Today’s Picture

32. So glad to see you’re knitting again!

33. It is great that knitting can be used as therapy for your hand. Hopefully the plain knitting is making the recovery process less onerous!
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..I cannot believe

34. Hi Wendy,
    I am glad you are able to knit again even if it is plain socks for the KOARC. Remember, knitting twisted stitches hurts for lots of knitters.

Hope you are going to therapy. I’ve broken my elbow 3 times and also injured my shoulder. Therapy can work miracles.

Take care.
    Shirley´s last blog post ..Continuing with Gifts

35. Yay! You’re knitting a little again. That’s great news. Those socks are pretty snazzy – and happy Valentine’s Day to you & your lovely b’day girl!
    Cindy K´s last blog post ..SIP &amp WIP Weekend

36. I would love to be your Valentine Miss Lucy! BTW, Happy Birthday sweet girl.

So glad to see that you’re able to manage a little knitting.
    Muriel´s last blog post ..First FO for 2011

37. Those socks match Lucy.
    CarolineF´s last blog post ..Some knitting

38. You’ve got to LOVE a doctor who recommends knitting as “therapy” – love it!!! Glad to hear you are beginning to be on the mend . . . just take it easy and do as the doc says – hands can be a tricky thing to get healed. Happy Valentine’s day to Lucy from the Birthday Boy – Murphy . . . snuggles and purrs all around!

39. Happy Valentine’s Day to you, KOARC, and Lucy too! She’s looks particularly kissable today.

I’m happy to hear your injury is resolving itself and also to have you back knitting.

40. Yeah a doctor that know what he/she is talking about! Knitting is very good theraphy! Keep it up! Happy Valentine’s Day! :-)

41. Nancy in CA says:

So glad you are feeling better! Those Hebridean colors are gorgeous.

42. So glad to hear that you’re knitting again.

Thank you for sharing the info about the labels for hand-knitted items. I’ve already placed my order :-)

43. thanks for the great label info!

The socks are Ab-Fab, Dahling, what’s not to love? Any knitting is good therapy~ no pain, no gain ;)

Happy Valentines Day, Miss Lucy ♥♥♥

44. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY!!!!

You are my kind of Valentine!

45. Nice work with the identical twins! Your toe up sport weight gusset pattern is the comfort food of sock knitting – it’s easy and delicious. I love it. I am so frustrated with an attempt at fingerless mitts (my own mishmash of two other patterns) that I’ve shelved the project to wait for the ebooklet and in the meantime am casting on for a pair of sportweight gusset heel toe ups for the holiday weekend in NYC.

46. Happy Valentine’s Day to you, Lucy and that KOARC. I love the colors of the “test” socks, very pretty.

Hope your hand improves in leaps and bounds.

Warm wishes,
    firefly
    firefly´s last blog post ..Happy Valentine’s Day

47. sooooo glad to see you can knit a little again!!!

48. Hi Wendy, So glad to hear that you are mending nicely.

Do you need two balls of sock yarn to get the socks to match? I bought some lovely Opal solids today. I didn’t even know they made solids until I saw them. Delicious.

49. So glad you are able to knit again! Happy belated Valentine’s to Miss Lucy!

50. Jennifer Eckel says:

I like your doctor who says knitting is good exercise. Your yarn is yummy, and the facing color a good choice.

51. Wow! Look at you go! Good for you to be able to do some knitting.

Kibby says he’d love to be Lucy’s Valentine.

52. Yeah! So glad you are able to knit a bit. Of course, you create a beautiful pair of socks in nothing flat with a broken hand. Me? I am about to finish sock number 1 of a pair that has been on the needles for a year!!!!

53. So glad that you are getting better! Love all of your work!

54. Thanks so much for this post! I’d ordered a number of things off Ebay–mainly old kntting magazines & magazines about the Royal Wedding coming up. Wondered why things were so slow. Duh, complete forgot that the bad weather would delay my vintage sock knitting patterns & Royal gossip getting to me!
    So glad you’be back to your kntting!
    Lucinda