1. Drachenfels, designed by Melanie Berg, knit from Madelintosh Pashmina in the Black Walnut, Seasalt, and Mineral colorways on a 4 mm (U.S. size 6) needle.

Twisting in the Wind

Here is the second sleeve of Twisty.

Sleeve030611 240x160 Twisting in the Wind

I was hoping to be further along at this point — like getting ready to seam this sleeve to the body. But the best laid plans and all that, well, I didn’t spend as much time knitting yesterday as I thought I would. Still, I ought to be able to finish the sleeve today, barring any unforeseen atrocities. I just have 5 rows to go before binding off before the shoulder strap.

I have a DVD of The Buccaneers mostly unwatched (I watched the first episode one night last week while my cable was out), so that should afford me some good knitting time.

I’ve taken to making Sunday afternoons DVD-watching and knitting time (interspersed with getting up to deal with the laundry). So far this year I’ve watched Downton Abbey, The Cazalets, the first two seasons of Merlin, and the new Sherlock Holmes on DVD on Sunday afternoons.

You can get a good idea of my viewing preferences from that list, can’t you? I like owning DVDs of series I’ve enjoyed so I can’t watch them whenever I like. I also own, among others, the entire series of Flambards, The Camomile Lawn, and Upstairs, Downstairs. All great series to knit to.

Anyway. What do you like to knit to?

Here’s my yarn for my next project as soon as Twisty is done.

Yarn030611 240x160 Twisting in the Wind

Can you guess what I’m going to knit?

It’s a dark rainy day today. While I knit to DVDs, Lucy plans to do this:

Lucy030611 240x160 Twisting in the Wind

Comments

1. Buffy kept me knitting for most of the summer last year, and I’ve worked my way through Torchwood, Lost (hours, hours, hours I will never get back), Firefly, and I go back and watch Star Trek TNG and Voyager every couple of years. The sweater is looking great – I am always envious of how quickly you knock those out!!

2. I need to invest in Upstairs Downstairs. I used to watch it once in a while and enjoyed it. Today I think I’ll get “Burlesque” on PayPer View.

Love the pink (or is it periwinkle?) for the next project!

3. Elizaduckie says:

That pink ball looks like socks to me.:D interesting sweater. Have to remark that I really don’t like doing sweaters in sections anymore. Much prefer top down or almost one piece construction. It’s the same reason I do two socks almost at the same time on two sets of dpn’s. I’d use a long circular but my hands have started protesting the strain so back to the hiya hiya’s…loving them.

4. Hiya Wendy! Can’t wait to see the total Twisty!

What did you think of Downton Abbey? I liked it, not loved it. But I want to see the next season. I like to watch the same types of shows you do, but you probably know that. Also sports for me make for good knitting background.
    Alice in Richmond´s last blog post ..3411 Rachel reminds The Lady it has been a month- enough already

5. That just sounds like a perfect Sunday afternoon. I’m inspired – the weather is dreary where I live today which makes it a perfect day to work on a square or two for my 63 (63 square crocheted afghan).
    Micki´s last blog post ..Why

6. Well I am a CSI and crime mystery type. I buy the new seasons and get tons of knitting done. I will go through an entire series from beginning to end and it will seem I aleays find something I missed. I guess that is because I only half listen and concentrate more on knitting. It was dark and dreary here yesterday and rather cold and dark today so I will get a bit more knitted on the socks I am making for my dad’s 80th birthday this month. All my beasties are joining in Lucy’s past time for the day.

7. Thanks for the great TV suggestions. This weekend I’ve been watching Downton Abbey for the second time!
    Have you watched Larkrise to Candleford? Mentioned by Paula of Knitting Pipeline podcast. Both great.

8. I’ve been working my way through all of the Stargate series on Netflix – it’s surprising how much knitting I’ve gotten done while watching it!

Twisty is gorgeous – it’s going to be an amazing piece!

9. I really like Midsomer Murder, but also mindless procedurals like Castle and the Mentalist. Downton Abbey is airing over here right now, and I love that series so far. I keep getting distracted by the clothing, though, so I don’t knit (or crochet) as well when I watch that show (I tend to split the yarn if I don’t watch my needles. I mostly listen to TV while crafting, actually). I hope Downton Abbey keeps up.

10. Flambards is fabulous! I loved it so much I read the book, too. I didn’t realize it was available on dvd – might be time to watch again…..

11. Michelle says:

I love to knit to Gilmore Girls, Firefly, or Friends. Don’tcha just love Sundays!

12. Those sound like great shows to knit to :) I knit while watching Bones, Stargate Atlantis, Fringe, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Legend of the Seeker, Buffy and Angel, among others. I also love to put on any of the Jane Austin movies and the Harry Potters.
    Kimberly F.´s last blog post ..Field trip

13. Twisty looks great!

Thanks for the viewing suggestions – I’ve really enjoyed reading all of Mary Wesley’s novels and I’m looking forward to watching Camomile Lawn.

14. anne marie in philly says:

I knit either to music or the baseball game on the radio (as I have been doing today). I like to watch what I am creating.

15. I’m betting that skein of yarn will be another beautiful shawl!

16. MarthaCanRemember says:

I’m currently knitting to Firefly. Just finished watching all the available seasons of Big Bang Theory. Dr Who is always a good to knit by too.

17. Shannon says:

Dr. Who on Netflix is the best for knitting, except that I tend to stay up waaaay too late saying “just one more episode…”, so I only do it over long breaks from school. My friends and I like to get together and knit while watching Buffy.

18. The only ones I know that you mentioned are Merlin & Upstairs Downstairs, especially love the later. Just finished with The Duchess of Duke Street. Also love Poirot & Miss Marple. I have the complete se of All Creatures Great & Small on VHS – must invest in DVDs now I guess. What does one do with a near perfect series on VHS???

19. Buffy, Angel, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Sanctuary, Eureka, Mad Men, Nip/Tuck, Robin Hood, Merlin, The Tudors, Breaking Bad…

… I go in search of series on hulu and Netflix (watch instantly) and just keep ‘em coming while I knit at night!

Twisty’s pretty!

20. Dalva Maraci says:

Hi Wendy,

Your first sock book has lots of errors. Sorry, but it’s true.

Dalva Maraci
    from Brazil

21. I usually do my knitting while Hubby and I listen to audio book mysteries.
    I get lots of knitting done.
    Hey, Lucy.
    Hugs,
    Gerry
    I love both your books ! ! !

22. Melinda says:

Foyle’s War with Michael Kitchen — set in England during WWII; Doc Martin, a BBC “comedy-drama”; most anything from Masterpiece Theater.

23. HeatherB says:

You and lots of others have mentioned a lot of my favorites. I tend to lean toward British dramas and Sci-fi. :-) No one has mentioned The House of Elliot though – a favorite of mine for a long time. Some day I’ll spring for the DVD set, but for now I get it from Netflix every once in a while.

24. I knit and catch up on all the 10:00 TV programs that I could not stay up to watch — Thank heavens for DVR’s — cooking channels and DIY programs — lots of great ideas.

25. Such a tease that the sweater is almost a sweater and not just pieces anymore. If I have my druthers it’s Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and my favorite, Persuasion. I’ve watched so many times I can see the scenes in my mind while I knit and only have to glance up for the really good stuff. Also, UConn Women’s basketball, but only if it’s a nail-biter. For us Huskies that means any game where we are “only” up by 10-12 points.

26. Wendy,

I love your viewing choices. This weekend I knit to the current season of PBS’s Lewis and season 3 of Mistresses. I have Flambards in my to be read again stack–loved both the series and the book. Last weekend I knit watching the first series of Downton Abbey (can’t wait for the next series to be released) and have knit through all 6 series of McLeod’s Daughters.

I have satellite radio at home and many an evening’s knitting is done listening to Classic Radio Shows.
    Croby´s last blog post ..March Socks

27. I LOVED Flambards when they used to show it on TV in my teens. My dad and I used to watch that together. I think I learned a lot about early airplanes(and also the phrase “close your eyes and think of England”)(which still makes me giggle).
    Now, I tend to watch a lot of cooking and home improvement shows, football (in season), and documentaries. I have been re-watching some of the Agatha Christie and other mystery series that were on PBS in the 80s and 90s, since it has been long enough that I have forgotten whodunnit.

28. I find I’m addicted to knitting to audio books, especially mysteries. I love your aran.
    Jeanie Babbage´s last blog post ..What a difference six

29. Lynette says:

We would be very compatible viewing buddies. I recently finished Downton Abby, and I loved The Buccaneers. I have decided to tackle Upstairs Downstairs again from beginning to end. You listed a few which I hadn’t heard of, so will give them a spin. For reasons I don’t understand, the last series I watched was “Firefly”, and I absolutely loved it, even though it’s clearly not my usual fare. If you haven’t tried Foyle’s War, you might give it a try. It’s worth watching just for the co-star, Honeysuckle Weeks.

30. Whitney says:

Just started the series Doc Martin on Netflix & it is great to knit to!!!! Also like Firefly, Merlin, The Dresden Files were ok, and Legend of the Seeker. Can;t wait to try out some of the ones you mentioned!

31. Lately I’ve been knitting to Lost. I’m halfway through season 6. After that I plan on moving on to either Dr. Who or Bones. I also read on my nook while knitting, although I can’t knit anything too complicated while reading.
    biomaj5´s last blog post ..As if I dont have enough hobbies already

32. I watch “Jeeves & Wooster”, “Firefly”, and “Gosford Park” over and over. I am also a big fan of “Law & Order” and was knitting to that just last night! “LOtR” (by Peter Jackson) is my favorite box set to weave to, however.

33. FLAMBARDS!!!!!

didn’t think anyone else remembered this … have the series too but am SO GREEN that you have Up Down! oooooh.

34. firstfallen says:

I like to knit to science fiction series, most recently The X-files but before that lots of Star Trek (TNG, DS9, Voyager). Also Fringe, Deadwood, Dexter and Supernatural. We watch a lot of series, there’s nothing really good on the 4 channels of local non-pay TV.

Soon I will get all of Nip/Tuck, which is good because I’m nearly finished The X-files.

For the yarn: mmm, bikini?

35. I love knitting to ‘Lord of the Rings’. Even the action scenes- I’ve watched it so often that if I can’t look up, I can just visualize the action from the soundtrack.
    I think that pink may be some mitts, for the last of the winter nippiness.

36. I recommend The Jeeves and Wooster series with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. There are at least 4 series (maybe 5) and they are hilarious!
    Samantha´s last blog post ..Monday to Friday

37. It’s been fun reading the comments to see what other knitters are viewing! I’ve found a couple of new series ideas for when I finish my current viewing. Right now I’m addicted to Lark Rise to Candleford. It is so well done. My all-time favorite for re-watching is Foyle’s War (to see the sweaters that Honeysuckle wears) or any Jane Austen.

Twisty is absolutely beautiful, even in pieces.

38. I just finished watching Downton Abbey and I also got distracted (loved) the gowns. I thought the series would wrap up in 4 episodes so I was like It’s not over? Oh good, more next year! Next year?
    Also love Foyle’s War but hubby hates the light on with TV so I mostly listen to podcasts while knitting.

39. MizMelly says:

Hummm. I have been known to watch the entire Sean Connery James Bond movies, Buffy, Forever Knight, Stargate SG-1, any classic movie on TCM, True Blood, etc. However it was 81 and sunny here yesterday, and instead of enjoying the great outdoors (this is the best time of year in Arizona), I was stuck stitching the binding on a quilt! I couldn’t even start my knitting until late in the afternoon. I yearn for gloomy, wet days since we hardly ever see those in Arizona!

40. I’m not a huge tv watcher but I do love me some NatGeo and history channel. I finally finished my son’s mitts. My guess for your new yarn after twisty would be “anything that isn’t a sweater?”

41. All Creatures Great & Small!!! The Lord Peter Wimsey series!!! The Margery Allingham series!!!

Hey! I have a great idea – you should make a knitting DVD, and we can all knit along with you. Instead of commercial breaks, you could cut to Lucy doing her usual antics from time to time. I like it!

42. Pam from Kansas says:

We have similar tastes, Wendy. And the others who say All Creatures (Faire Isle sweaters are often seen) and Wooster are on my list as well. I also love the Monk TV series.

Love the sweater – very cool

43. I knit to the Netflix instant queue. It may not be always as handy as having a DVD on hand, but almost everything I want to watch is available!
    Seanna Lea´s last blog post ..Fun times super tired edition

44. Rosemary & Thyme, the British murder mystery series with Felicity Kendal and Pam Harris. Horticulturist who travel throughout England saving gardens and solving murders. You may drop a stitch or two marveling at the beautiful gardens.

45. “Broken hand????” what’s this? Obviously I have been too long away. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!
    The new Sherlock Holmes is really great! I like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Dr Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia….otherwise, History Channel, Food Network, and there’s always CNN/MSNBC. If all else fails and esp during a winter storm – the Weather Channel. But if I’m knitting something complicated – I like to do it sans distraction. Bliss is uninterrupted silence for a peaceful knitting time.

46. …could that lovely yarn be a new spring shawl awaiting your mad design skills? You’re an inspiration, Wendy!

47. Judie D. says:

I love the BBC series and Masterpiece Theater — so many available from Netflix. Very special ones are Monarch of the Glen (takes place in Scotland), Ballykissangel (Ireland) and the House of Elliott (late 1800′s to 1920′s fashion house in London). British TV series try Hotel Babylon (slick modern) and As Time Goes By (Judi Dench — very funny).

48. Patricia says:

Some of my favorites to knit to are Keeping Up Appearances and The Vicar of Dibley. If it is just mindless knitting I like The Last of the Summer Wine. For that one I need to pay attention to what they are saying so it has to be simple knit and purl. I enjoyed Downton Abbey and I am looking forward to the next part that they said was in production. Hi to Lucy!